ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Money

FLAG HUNTER

Junior
Oct 2, 2014
Wondering how long this big money for NIL is gonna last, i can't see dishing out huge amounts of money each year when you aren't getting anything back financially, i can see small donations or one big one from someone, but to do it each year seems like it won't last, definitely has ruined college sports

Wondering how long this big money for NIL is gonna last, i can't see dishing out huge amounts of money each year when you aren't getting anything back financially, i can see small donations or one big one from someone, but to do it each year seems like it won't last, definitely has ruined college sports
I think the break with those "willing to" and those that won't is coming sooner than some think. IMO, there will be a core group of top ten contenders combined with 10 wannabes (pushed by their own fan bases and hubris) that join and create a super league that is both willing and able to support NIL indefinitely. I also think these 20 schools will be the ones the lawyers go after for players shares of TV money.

Individual NIL's may still come through for players on the rest of the teams that are left, but that may be capped/limited by agreement. Then again, they might not need to. 20 teams take up the top 2,000 players, and that's more than are rated by most services today.

I think the break with those "willing to" and those that won't is coming sooner than some think. IMO, there will be a core group of top ten contenders combined with 10 wannabes (pushed by their own fan bases and hubris) that join and create a super league that is both willing and able to support NIL indefinitely. I also think these 20 schools will be the ones the lawyers go after for players shares of TV money.

Individual NIL's may still come through for players on the rest of the teams that are left, but that may be capped/limited by agreement. Then again, they might not need to. 20 teams take up the top 2,000 players, and that's more than are rated by most services today.
I’d be completely fine with this and for Purdue to be outside that top 20 and go back to the old BIG.

As I read about Purdue fans wanting Purdue to spend more NIL money, I don’t see any of those Purdue fans actually giving any of their money to the NIL.

Additionally as I see Purdue fans and coaches complaining about how little money they have to give, I see the exact same comments from other team’s coaches and their fans! Prime time is complaining in Colorado that he needs more NIL. Money to recruit prime time recruits. Even Michigan is complaining they don’t have enough NIL money to remain competitive! The only teams that are not complaining is Texas A&M and USC. And they both have the greatest 7-5 team that money could buy. I shudder to think how bad they would be if they didn’t spend their NIL money.

I don’t blame the athletes. I just believe people who donate $$ millions to the NIL. Are as stupid as those people who donate to political action cap groups and politicians who use their donations to pay their legal fees! You are just giving your money away rather than to people and organizations who could actually put it to a useful purpose!

If you want to protect your roster, add 4/5 impact guys and you have good high school recruiting, it’s gonna probably cost 3 mill minimum

I imagine it's going to be similar to how it's always been: tax breaks.

All these NIL collectives have option of registering as Not-for-profits and "donating" to them would be a charitable contribution.

It's the same rational as "donating" to college athletics for "charitable" causes. Big money donors have been utilizing this for decades.

today Miami flipped Justin Scott from ohio st, he's a 5 star DT and #1 rated defensive player. The change of heart was due to NIL push from Miami that osu didn't want to match

the NCAA rule was that you couldn't use NIL money as a recruitment tool . it's only supposed to be given to athletes who are already in place. Miami has already had their hand slapped once before.

today Miami flipped Justin Scott from ohio st, he's a 5 star DT and #1 rated defensive player. The change of heart was due to NIL push from Miami that osu didn't want to match
And the U still won’t win…

Did they, though ?
Everyone clamoring for this is getting what they asked for. It's completely out of control and was predictable from the jump. The portal was like throwing warm water into a hurricane. It would be less insane to just make it a professional league with contracts and a salary cap. You come in on a two year contract. After that, you are a free agent and can transfer or renegotiate your deal or the school can cut you.

Did they, though ?
it was the same donor who gave money to basketball player Pack before he signed to lure him to Miami. The NCAA allowed that, but didn't allow the NIL money he proposed to give to some female basketball player. it's not like the NCAA wants to take action against Miami's revenue generating and media oriented teams.

Everyone clamoring for this is getting what they asked for. It's completely out of control and was predictable from the jump. The portal was like throwing warm water into a hurricane. It would be less insane to just make it a professional league with contracts and a salary cap. You come in on a two year contract. After that, you are a free agent and can transfer or renegotiate your deal or the school can cut you.
Supreme Court would have something to say about that. That breaks the anti-trust suit already ruled on. You can’t cap this. Schools don’t control this.

Reactions: RDUBoiler
The basic rule was that schools are not supposed to use the NIL for recruiting purposes. It’s supposed to be used for existing players. However, most schools are totally ignoring this rule.

What is not being talked about is that players can make their own NIL deals. And most of the big NIL contracts are negotiated privately by the player and their quasi official handlers/agents with the donor directly rather than using a school generated NIL fund.

What separates Purdue from teams like Alabama and Texas A&M. Is not the amount of money Purdue has collected and offered. But rather, places like Texas A&M and Miami have individuals willing to give star players mega individual NIL deals.

When you think of the deal Pack received, he didn’t receive that money from the school. He received it from an individual who suggested that a good school he might consider transferring to was Miami. Pack had already sold his soul for the money before the ink was dry on his LOI.

And that’s the way schools are getting around the legality of the rules!

Reactions: Tommaker
Supreme Court would have something to say about that. That breaks the anti-trust suit already ruled on. You can’t cap this. Schools don’t control this.
If I understand what the recent proposal by the NCAA says, they're thinking they’d allow schools to directly compensate players capped at something like 30K each. I don't believe that prevents a player from getting more NIL from other sources, just caps what schools pay.

If I understand what the recent proposal by the NCAA says, they're thinking they’d allow schools to directly compensate players capped at something like 30K each. I don't believe that prevents a player from getting more NIL from other sources, just caps what schools pay.
Yep. Problem is it opens up another can. Title IX is already being used by the Oregon beach volleyball team for lack of proper facilities. I’m not sure if the players will use it this way but I/you can see the problem it might cause.

Yep. Problem is it opens up another can. Title IX is already being used by the Oregon beach volleyball team for lack of proper facilities. I’m not sure if the players will use it this way but I/you can see the problem it might cause.
nail, meet head.

the NCAA rule was that you couldn't use NIL money as a recruitment tool . it's only supposed to be given to athletes who are already in place. Miami has already had their hand slapped once before.
I know this is tongue in cheek, but it you're not using NIL as a recruiting tool, you're doing it wrong.

It's not a cap from my understanding - that's part of the minimum -

From various sources -

"institutions would be able to use their own money to pay any athlete any amount. Legally, the form of payment would be through an “enhanced educational trust fund.” Although limited, there are a couple of guidelines with the plan:

This is just the beginning of the end as we knew it...........

It's not a cap from my understanding - that's part of the minimum -

From various sources -

"institutions would be able to use their own money to pay any athlete any amount. Legally, the form of payment would be through an “enhanced educational trust fund.” Although limited, there are a couple of guidelines with the plan:

This is just the beginning of the end as we knew it...........
So for every stud QB or point guard you pay a million bucks to, you have to pay a female athlete another million.

This won’t fly with the SEC.

Reactions: pboiler18
So for every stud QB or point guard you pay a million bucks to, you have to pay a female athlete another million.

This won’t fly with the SEC.

The dance has already begun, but in whetever form any rule takes, it will ultimately mean more "opportunities" for NIL and pay for female/women athletes, IMO. When the university is directly involved though, Title IX applies from my understanding......they will "figure" it out, I suspect.

The dance has already begun, but in whetever form any rule takes, it will ultimately mean more "opportunities" for NIL and pay for female/women athletes, IMO. When the university is directly involved though, Title IX applies from my understanding......they will "figure" it out, I suspect.
I have no problem with NIL for female athletes. If you’re worth it…get paid. Issue is, IMO very few have the appeal and value.

The problem, to me anyway, is the pay to play. I dont understand how they can't regulate this part of it.

So now, will guys, claiming to be girls, have an even larger incentive to try to get that NIL money, plus a free education, come in a win a couple of basketball or vball national championships, then after they get paid....POOF! They're back to being a guy (albeit it, a wealthier one).

So the school gives them a free education and now would be required to pay every athlete both men and women a minimum NIL. Amount?

End result? I could see a lot of schools just cutting certain sports that don’t produce enough revenue! He cut its men’s baseball team. Purdue and many other schools don’t have hockey teams. I could see a lot of schools cutting sports such as gymnastics and swimming in order to pay everyone their NIL money. A prime example is Ball State doesn’t have a men’s track team as a result of trying to save money to fund their other sports. Miami (of Ohio) uses part time coaches/volunteers/grad assistants for some of their full time coaching positions because of lack of funding.

Schools only have x amount of money to spend. If they are forced to pay a certain amount, they will cut back somewhere else. Look at Walmart and your fast food places. To increase their minimum wages, they cut back on their employees and have fewer full time employees so they don’t have to pay benefits. Schools have long term subs rather than full time teachers!

Many times when being forced to pay more, the people forcing the issue don’t realize the consequences of their actions! Look at US industries. The labor force got too expensive, so companies now out source their labor force to other countries. The product is lower quality but the company stays in business unlike Maytag, zenith Motorola, rca and many others.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I have no problem with NIL for female athletes. If you’re worth it…get paid. Issue is, IMO very few have the appeal and value.
Oh I've seen plenty of the female athletes with appeal. Might be a different appeal than you were thinking though.

Reactions: pboiler18
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT