ADVERTISEMENT

NIL as I see it

BCfanatic2020

All-American
Jan 5, 2020
Figure out whether you want to be university of Chicago or stay in this game. Those who figure out how to stay in will be able to pay for any cost of staying in.

once you decide to figure out how to stay in go all in and get innovative. If that means JPC members going into a collective instead then that’s fine. If that means bringing in a bunch of BTN money and figuring out how to make that into something somehow, then do that. There will be more than p5 school who doesn’t have Dan Gilbert who will figure out how a school with huge incoming tv money does something with what they have.

this whole line of reasoning that goes “there’s nothing we can do, we just have to keep this money, spend it internally and see what these kids get offered by our alum” is a recipe for long term disaster UNLESS YOU WANNA BE u of C.

in any event I think we will have less money spent on players than most P5 schools. How you run your organization matters.

cultivating a core of good disciplined football players who aren’t in it for the big money will be key. Basically look at how northwestern has done under fitz with all the disadvantages in the world. You wanna have 40-50 guys who would do well on northwestern.. and it’s fantasyland to think they’ll stay here for nothing, but any solid starter who will stay for 50k or less (until they prove they are a star) is a huge victory.

Once everyone gets on the same page and there are people making decisions on who gets offered what, this, to me, is the smart way to prioritize it.

> current stars. If karlaftis, bell and Oconnell all had one more year where they wanted to play and we all went 12 months into the future, I think all three would get between 1-2 mill from a school who had anything to spend. You’d certainly have someone trying to get them to leave for that amount.

> top incoming transfers. The next biggest deals should be for 2-3 players Purdue wouldn’t normally get where you break the bank to bring in that left tackle or established running back or a defensive lineman who generates pressure. Think of it like this. A kid at Oregon state is a true sophomore RB who can do it all and leads the pac 12 in rushing.. then transfers. You throw big money at that kinda player.

> retaining key players who have one more year. So you have a safety who is our best safety since stu, he has a great senior year, but we don’t have a viable replacement and he only projects as a fifth round pick. That guy might get more than almost anyone on next years team if you’re Smart.

> up and comers - you look at a player like Miller who will likely be a star next year if not this year .. he’d get an outsized deal for his current relative production.

Then you figure out what you want any solid contributor to get at a minimum.. say 50k for someone who is either starting or playing quite a bit.

everyone else is on their own.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I respect your opinion and what you say makes a lot of sense. I'm hoping this will all even out when the newness of it wears off. I still think you are going to have a ton of team chemistry issues that can lead to terrible seasons. You bring in a QB for half a million and he gets a lineman or two pissed of who isn't making but a few grand how hard is that lineman going to protect his backside? Who knows where it all goes...

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
I respect your opinion and what you say makes a lot of sense. I'm hoping this will all even out when the newness of it wears off. I still think you are going to have a ton of team chemistry issues that can lead to terrible seasons. You bring in a QB for half a million and he gets a lineman or two pissed of who isn't making but a few grand how hard is that lineman going to protect his backside? Who knows where it all goes...
But see, this is that Purdue mentality.

at powerhouse u the attitude will be “well that’s what the f it is. Want star money? Become a star. Want big transfer money? Make yourself into a highly coveted player then transfer.”

that “but what about the left guard stuff” is the kind of thing that has always limited Purdue.

Nebraska got 3 guys to stay last year who were good college players but eh pro prospects. It saved their defense from being as bad as their offense. I believe they got NIL money to stay. If they were sophomores they’d likely be offered very little.

think of it like this. There’s gonna be a time for everyone to get paid if they are good.

if Spencer Holstege is just alright this year and we brought in fictional big money transfer and Holstege got 50k next year and then by the end of the year he made all big ten, he’d be in a position his fifth year to get paid here or elsewhere. No one is going to establish themselves as a good player with at least one year left and not have leverage.

I also think you’d be smart to make sure that every guy gets at least 30k a year in the two deeps. That in addition to scholly, after taxes, is enough for a college kid to have a decent life with everything else they get.

I agree with what you are saying with the exception of the Purdue mentality thing. And like you said once everyone in the two deeps are getting paid maybe it'll all work out but until the there will be animosity amongst players and you can't blame them. And I don't blame a player leaving to get paid but a line will have to be drawn somewhere on salaries. Until Purdue does have it set up to pay players I'm glad they didn't give the money to Pack that Miami gave. What do you do for basketball, do all scholarship players get a set amount. Do the starters get paid more than the bench, if so I doubt Tre would have been happy to accept being the 6th man.

I guess where I struggle is how this is framed as a Purdue strategy. Purdue can proactively have Brian Cardinal as an example lead their efforts in fundraising for an NIL and I’m sure they will but ar what point is that a diversion of funds? At what point are you shifting money from the John Purdue club or even Purdue academics? I would like to see Purdue do it the Purdue way where Matt painter is honest and continues to recruit players who fit his system and sell them on it. Football is more of a moot point since it’s so much more about motivating players than talent and I think guys motivated by $ just aren’t necessarily going to bring us success on the field. What I hope to see is we don’t lose our players, we push sponsored to see the value in supporting our good players to stay boilermakers. It sucks we lost pack but if we have to find $1m I feel like we are taking from where else. I also think it creates a dangerous precedent and resentment in the locker room. I’d rather Edey get paid and guys are happy for them and see an opportunity to get paid themselves as boilermakers if they are successful on the court, largely in pet due to being a good fit in painters system.

I agree with what you are saying with the exception of the Purdue mentality thing. And like you said once everyone in the two deeps are getting paid maybe it'll all work out but until the there will be animosity amongst players and you can't blame them. And I don't blame a player leaving to get paid but a line will have to be drawn somewhere on salaries. Until Purdue does have it set up to pay players I'm glad they didn't give the money to Pack that Miami gave. What do you do for basketball, do all scholarship players get a set amount. Do the starters get paid more than the bench, if so I doubt Tre would have been happy to accept being the 6th man.
Oh I think you’ll see all division one p5 football players get a set amount from their school. So imagine a scenario where the school can say “hey no one who went here made less than 60k last year”.. and I think it will be important to have a structure in place to help every player in the 85 go out and get at least a certain amount from small donor stuff. You’ll want to boast that no scholarship player got less than 53 and no starter less than 90 for example..

But the big money has to be spent smartly on those with leverage UNLESS you are lucky enough to be an Ohio state. And the Ohio states are gonna end up spending a lot of bad money.

you don’t want to be Purdue and only able to offer your outstanding QB1 200k going into his last year because right is right and you also had to give your fifth year slot receiver big money for all his years as a good dude.

You are completely missing the point when you start talking Big Ten money and acting like the University has any choice or say in the matter.

The Universities are not the one's paying the players. I believe they might have a little bit of ability to help set the player up with someone, but if they get paid, how much they get paid, all the important details to the player, is completely outside of the Universities control.

Ultimately this is a matter of whether boosters want to wade into the muddy water and pay the players or not.

And technically, NIL deals are not allowed to be tied to University choice. Actually against the rules use them as a recruiting tool. Boosters are obviously not following that rule and NCAA can't do a damn thing about it.

You are completely missing the point when you start talking Big Ten money and acting like the University has any choice or say in the matter.

The Universities are not the one's paying the players. I believe they might have a little bit of ability to help set the player up with someone, but if they get paid, how much they get paid, all the important details to the player, is completely outside of the Universities control.

Ultimately this is a matter of whether boosters want to wade into the muddy water and pay the players or not.

And technically, NIL deals are not allowed to be tied to University choice. Actually against the rules use them as a recruiting tool. Boosters are obviously not following that rule and NCAA can't do a damn thing about it.
Dude NOBODY fails to understand the rule. Your choices without huge billionaire donors is figure out a kosher way around the rule or die.

mid that means that BTN money pays more internal and your donors donate straight to players then that’s what it means.

but this “we can’t” like it’s the smartest assertion when it’s the dumbest is just bad thinking. You have to, or just become u of Chicago

Reactions: boilerball2021
No one is missing the point

“you do realize” YES! Everyone realizes lol.. thinking that people don’t realize actually IS the lack of realization

Perhaps it is against the rules. There was a potential Purdue Basketball transfer/player that just took a 'deal' to go to Miami because (as the news put it) he got a 6 figure deal. How that was orchestrated; don't know.

Perhaps it is against the rules. There was a potential Purdue Basketball transfer/player that just took a 'deal' to go to Miami because (as the news put it) he got a 6 figure deal. How that was orchestrated; don't know.
They are allowed to sign agents to negotiate their deals per the rules but the rule allows them to do it BEFORE they have signed with a school so it is a useless rule and allows the transfers to be Free Agents and negotiate the highest or best deal. The FACT that there is no cap like the NHL, NBA and NFL has for salaries is the problem as there is and will be NO LIMIT to what they can make on endorsements.

I disagree that it will all work out over time instead I see a split coming over this in the Divisions of the NCAA.

Making under the table money now out in the open and known is not the solution! Amateur athletics is a joke as even high school kids are into this krud! Wanna be a pro then go be a pro abroad or in the US. We need to keep this kind of money out of both HS's and Colleges!

Pandora's Box needs to be closed!

Last edited:
I was more speaking in terms of strategy … if Purdue is gonna be in it and spend 1/10 the money Miami does, they can’t spread it evenly.. it needs to be spent based on leverage

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT