ADVERTISEMENT

Niele Ivey

Mar 27, 2011
I think it has been mentioned on this board before, but I wonder what it would take to bring in Niele Ivey to coach Purdue WBB? It seems like we might have some leverage with her.

Does anyone know what she earns as an assistant for the Memphis Grizzlies? We'd obviously have to top that and have some kind of an agreement that she wouldn't leave for Notre Dame when Muffet McGraw retires (MM just turned 64).

At any rate, she has already proven that she is an outstanding college recruiter. I truly believe she could return the program to national prominence.

We once had a large fan base for WBB and it should materialize again if we can consistently put a good team on the floor. Additional fans would help offset the probable higher salary it would take to sign her.

Definitely would re-energize a program that is currently on life support.

Thoughts?

Reactions: boiler800
I think it has been mentioned on this board before, but I wonder what it would take to bring in Niele Ivey to coach Purdue WBB? It seems like we might have some leverage with her.

Does anyone know what she earns as an assistant for the Memphis Grizzlies? We'd obviously have to top that and have some kind of an agreement that she wouldn't leave for Notre Dame when Muffet McGraw retires (MM just turned 64).

At any rate, she has already proven that she is an outstanding college recruiter. I truly believe she could return the program to national prominence.

We once had a large fan base for WBB and it should materialize again if we can consistently put a good team on the floor. Additional fans would help offset the probable higher salary it would take to sign her.

Thoughts?

A little research always answers most questions. Her dreams have not changed. Just the math to achieve them with the blessing of her mentor.

It would be an interesting dynamic for sure since her son is coming to play for the MBB team. Gosh I just wanna see some glimmer that we are working our way back to prominence in the B10 and relevance nationally. I wonder if she’d even be interested..

Reactions: DavidBoiler
It would be an interesting dynamic for sure since her son is coming to play for the MBB team. Gosh I just wanna see some glimmer that we are working our way back to prominence in the B10 and relevance nationally. I wonder if she’d even be interested..

We need an experienced head coach not on the job training to become a head coach.

Reactions: DocRon

Thoughts?
Certainly there is concern about McGraw and how long she will coach as seen in this press conference. Maybe she just needs a break.

We need an experienced head coach not on the job training to become a head coach.
Unfortunately we have one who came in with a good resume and has put in 14 yrs worth of mediocre performance. Her predecessor was an up and comer also who has failed in subsequent head coaching positions. It is almost a crap shoot but I wonder if our psychology dept has any predictors in that arena?

Unfortunately we have one who came in with a good resume and has put in 14 yrs worth of mediocre performance. Her predecessor was an up and comer also who has failed in subsequent head coaching positions. It is almost a crap shoot but I wonder if our psychology dept has any predictors in that arena?
bingo

No you don't...you need a coach that understands how to sell what once was a proud program and nationally relevant and who knows how to get it back there by being able to recruit and then actually coach.

It is a shame what has happened to the program under Versyp's (mis)guidance...inexcusable that it has been surpassed by IU under her watch.

No you don't...you need a coach that understands how to sell what once was a proud program and nationally relevant and who knows how to get it back there by being able to recruit and then actually coach.

It is a shame what has happened to the program under Versyp's (mis)guidance...inexcusable that it has been surpassed by IU under her watch.

I did not consider Versyp an experienced head coach. My definition assumes you hire somebody who has already proven his or her ability to do all those things. Versyp has one year of major college experience which in no way enabled her to demonstrate recruiting ability. She had decent coaching skills which were demonstrated when her best years performance wise were with talent she inherited. What also has been exposed is her inability to hire, develop and retain good assistant coaches. She has no coaching tree after 20 years as a head coach.

I did not consider Versyp an experienced head coach. My definition assumes you hire somebody who has already proven his or her ability to do all those things. Versyp has one year of major college experience which in no way enabled her to demonstrate recruiting ability. She had decent coaching skills which were demonstrated when her best years performance wise were with talent she inherited. What also has been exposed is her inability to hire, develop and retain good assistant coaches. She has no coaching tree after 20 years as a head coach.
That said, Matt Painter was not an experienced head coach either...but, he managed to figure things out fairly quickly, and, managed to keep from literally ruining what he inherited.

While I get your point, I don't know that it is necessary to hire someone experienced per se...it is about hiring the right person...and, Versyp was not (and is not) the right person.

Reactions: Bigohh
That said, Matt Painter was not an experienced head coach either...but, he managed to figure things out fairly quickly, and, managed to keep from literally ruining what he inherited.

While I get your point, I don't know that it is necessary to hire someone experienced per se...it is about hiring the right person...and, Versyp was not (and is not) the right person.
The downside for making a serious mistake in the hiring of a coach has risen dramatically since MP and SV were hired. In fact it has soared since the ill fated DH hire. Auburn’s DC is now making more than DH made in any single season. One need CB look no further than Steph White at Vandy to see the dangers of hiring an inexperienced coach with a name for big time money.

Reactions: DavidBoiler
The downside for making a serious mistake in the hiring of a coach has risen dramatically since MP and SV were hired. In fact it has soared since the ill fated DH hire. Auburn’s DC is now making more than DH made in any single season. One need CB look no further than Steph White at Vandy to see the dangers of hiring an inexperienced coach with a name for big time money.
With the money in today's game that schools make from conference television rights, the danger is far less than it once was, or, even seems...thus Vandy paying for essentially two men's Head Coaches right now (and, a practice IU had in place for years...for football and basketball). It is not as if Teri Moren was some hot commodity when she was hired at IU, but, she has run circles around Versyp since she took over.

It is about getting the right person way more than about getting an experienced person.

Purdue has everything necessary to be successful...very successful for that matter), outside of a Head Coach that is capable.

Do we have the right AD in place to be successful in women’s b-ball? Does Bobinski even care? He gives it lip service, but so far, nothing more.

Do we have the right AD in place to be successful in women’s b-ball? Does Bobinski even care? He gives it lip service, but so far, nothing more.
Oh my gosh. You want to replace Bobinski - the AD that made Purdue football pertinent again for the first time in years - because he didn't fire Versyp when you wanted him to? Is that what you're saying? SMH

Bobinski has been great in his role...and, is trying to overcome many of the mistakes his predecessor has made...including inexcusable contract extensions to coaches on his way out, with one of those being Versyp.

I do agree with the notion that he has not done much with respect to the program, but, I think it is in part due to the contract extension that was made, and, the focus on other things (namely football).

Reactions: DocRon
Versyp may get this team into the Dance, but unlikely to do much in that tourney. The raw truth is that we will not be much better with her coaching as it has been the same level for years now. Only if the AD wants to elevate the program and believes he can bring in a better coach wo can raise Purdue up to a higher level will it happen. There is not one of us who knows what he is thinking, but he is probably aware of the angst and he does not have the extended contract as a barrier now. Will be interesting to see how this plays out as it is still very much in flux I think.

It is a question that is worth asking, however, I don’t think there is a significant difference between the men’s sport and the women’s sport from an AD perspective.

Like SV, Teri Moren once played basketball for Purdue. IIRC, the IU AD inserted a "no quitting IU to coach at Purdue clause" in her contract. We would need a similar clause for ND if we were able to hire Ivey.

Good luck with that one.

Versyp may get this team into the Dance, but unlikely to do much in that tourney. The raw truth is that we will not be much better with her coaching as it has been the same level for years now. Only if the AD wants to elevate the program and believes he can bring in a better coach wo can raise Purdue up to a higher level will it happen. There is not one of us who knows what he is thinking, but he is probably aware of the angst and he does not have the extended contract as a barrier now. Will be interesting to see how this plays out as it is still very much in flux I think.

We will see what happens in March.

As far as coaches go, Purdue should look at all potential candidates nationwide and not be limited to hiring in 'the Purdue family'. That really limits the search and results.

We should look for an assistant coach in a top 5 elite program. Someone with years of experience at that level and not a 'flash in the pan', 1-season wonder.

Reactions: Gesysp
ADVERTISEMENT