ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year

This is the new and improved deuce. He didn't like that I disagree and called me genius. So, from this point forward, throw sand and I'll throw it back. I'm done expecting opinions to be addressed with an opposing point. Make it personal and ill make it personal. I'm done. Wanna be respectful, cool. Wanna roll in the mud, cool.
I think we'll have to revoke your board police badge. Sorry!

Will Waddell be ready ? I doubt it. Will Newman transfer ? Probably. Definitely need a point guard ?

I think we'll have to revoke your board police badge. Sorry!

Badges? Those won't be necessary.......

AcclaimedPleasingAntelopegroundsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

Probably too early to do this but, why not?

PG: IT, Braden Smith
SG: Newman, Morton, Loyer
SF: Kaufman, Heide
PF: Gillis, Furst
C: Edey, Berg

I probably have left off someone obvious, but it’s late, I’m tired, and bored.
This group (add Brian Waddell) in two years (will lose IT) I think can be very good. It will also be interesting to see if Purdue even with the shorter clock and a bit more versatility increases the motion and decreases the sets a bit "IF" the guard play is as good as I think it might be. That ability or versatility would allow more motion and less sets which today helps put players in where they shine. In two years I hope the Berg is stronger and adds some toughness and athleticism a bit to go along with a decent skill set for a big young guy. Imagine Trey and Caleb can interchange between inside and perimeter play and if Braden can contribute enough on D since and still have his energy on O there should be enough 2s and 3s between those playing today along with Newman, Heide, Waddell, Loyer and Colvin. Mason has started handling the ball a bit more and is now getting his shot off a bit quicker...can he develop into a 3/4??? I think the Boilers are going to be pretty good for a few years...

I’m not convinced Edey will be back and there are some here who think Newman is gone. Not a fan of IT being our primary ball handler I think I’d rather have Morton or a transfer. Newman will be our wild card. And I think waddell will back up Gillis with Furst at the 5.
Unless Edey wants to go play overseas, he will be back...heck, I think he is back for two more years...at least...his game does not translate at all to the NBA, never mind he has tons of things to get better at/improve on...the kid has only played for like 6 years, and, look at the progress from the beginning of the year last year to now in areas. I would be stunned if he was not back.

Newman...only he knows...certainly understandable if he did not return, would be great if he does...regardless, I am rooting for that kid either way.

Why is there an issue with Isaiah handling the ball...not as if he is turnover prone?

Makes more sense for Waddell to be backup at the 4 and Furst play the 5, but, Furst is talented enough to push for minutes as a starter somewhere. Likely won't happen, but, who knows how it all shakes out.

I think Edey comes back, but if he doesn't and we don't get a quality transfer or two we're in for a long year.
Agree to disagree that if he were to leave that it is a long year...certainly a different one, but, not as if they suck suddenly either. I don't think there is any chance that Edey leaves, so, won't matter if that is the case, but, they have some guys that can still play regardless.

This group (add Brian Waddell) in two years (will lose IT) I think can be very good. It will also be interesting to see if Purdue even with the shorter clock and a bit more versatility increases the motion and decreases the sets a bit "IF" the guard play is as good as I think it might be. That ability or versatility would allow more motion and less sets which today helps put players in where they shine. In two years I hope the Berg is stronger and adds some toughness and athleticism a bit to go along with a decent skill set for a big young guy. Imagine Trey and Caleb can interchange between inside and perimeter play and if Braden can contribute enough on D since and still have his energy on O there should be enough 2s and 3s between those playing today along with Newman, Heide, Waddell, Loyer and Colvin. Mason has started handling the ball a bit more and is now getting his shot off a bit quicker...can he develop into a 3/4??? I think the Boilers are going to be pretty good for a few years...

Agree TJ.....2/3/4 years down the line could be very impressive IF certain things play out.....this year is certainly not over and was the first step in the transition CMP is trying to build in my view.....post presence will still be important but it may be different. There looks to be a lot of versatility on the wings. JMHO

A shorter clock means no worries going below five seconds if they don't fix that dang thing.......

Definitely need a PG transfer for next year.

Think is too late to get one for the NCAA tournament??? (tic)
I said it while at the Maryland game...I am not sure how immediate eligibility is with the Transfer Portal, but, I would have been good if Fatts Russell just stayed in West Lafayette after the game...something like what you see with AAU.

Reactions: GemstateBoiler
Why is there an issue with Isaiah handling the ball...not as if he is turnover prone?
There isn't because he is solid with it and can shoot the 3. He just doesn't fit the idea that some of the armchair wannabe coaches have.

If one of our 3 seniors were going to play another year, I’d pick Hunter.
Probably the most beneficial, but, a case could be made for each of them...

I don't know that any have even considered it...or would...Hunter seems like one that it would make some sense for...certainly for Purdue and potentially even for him.

I said it while at the Maryland game...I am not sure how immediate eligibility is with the Transfer Portal, but, I would have been good if Fatts Russell just stayed in West Lafayette after the game...something like what you see with AAU.
Russell reminds me a bit of CE. Motor is always running on high.

Reactions: DAG10
Probably the most beneficial, but, a case could be made for each of them...

I don't know that any have even considered it...or would...Hunter seems like one that it would make some sense for...certainly for Purdue and potentially even for him.
No knock on Tre or Sasha, just feel we have better replacements for them.

Reactions: GemstateBoiler

If IT is our starting PG, we're in trouble. I was a big fan at the beginning of the year. But once again he's regressed thru the season and shown he's a liability on D. And he cannot create on offense. Would much rather see Morton as the starting PG. Or a transfer portal guard...

If IT is our starting PG, we're in trouble. I was a big fan at the beginning of the year. But once again he's regressed thru the season and shown he's a liability on D. And he cannot create on offense. Would much rather see Morton as the starting PG. Or a transfer portal guard...
You said the same things about Hunter and were dead wrong there. No reason to think IT can't do the same thing. None.

We all remember it. Impossible not to, with the hissy fit you threw.
Well, any opinion you don't agree with is a hissy fit. Let's be honest, you toss hissy fits anytime you see a comment you don't like. It's why you can't forget a comment from years ago. It still bothers you. LOL

You said the same things about Hunter and were dead wrong there. No reason to think IT can't do the same thing. None.
Well, IT hasn't in the past and didn't again this year, especially during B1G play. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting different results. He's had 3 years in the program now and isn't going to make dramatic improvements. This team needs someone who can break down the press, defend well, and run the offense.

And Hunter's done a great job staying within his capabilities the 2nd half of this season. But he's not been an All B1G player by any means. And that doesn't mean I dislike Hunter. I appreciate what he's done the 2nd half of this year.

Well, any opinion you don't agree with is a hissy fit. Let's be honest, you toss hissy fits anytime you see a comment you don't like. It's why you can't forget a comment from years ago. It still bothers you. LOL
The hissy fit has been you, over and over. You're getting your ass handed to you on here and you continue to act the fool...

The hissy fit has been you, over and over. You're getting your ass handed to you on here and you continue to act the fool...
I mean, you can say that. But, seriously stop crying about it. It's sad when you hurl insults and whine when you get shelled. You look little sister-ish.

Purposely skipped over the last 20 or 30 replies.. Back to the OP, here's my hot take.

Regular Rotation
1: Portal pg, Thompson
2: Newman, Loyer
3: TKR, Morton, Heide
4: Gillis, TKR, Waddell
5: Edey, Furst

When Big Ten play starts the above rotation will tighten to 8 or 9.

Spot Minutes or Redshirt
Berg, Smith

Last edited:

Please no IT.....transfer portal is where our athletic guard comes from

Heide might need a RS year like Gillis coming off an injury. I haven’t heard anything about how serious the injury is. We might need an experienced forward too.

Purposely skipped over the last 20 or 30 replies.. Back to the OP, here's my hot take.

Regular Rotation
1: Portal pg, Thompson
2: Newman, Loyer
3: TKR, Heide
4: Gillis, Waddell
5: Edey, Furst

When Big Ten play starts the above rotation will tighten to 8. Heide OR Waddell will get the majority of backup minutes between the 3 and 4. Loyer or Thompson will get the majority of backup minutes between the 1 and 2.

Spot Minutes or Redshirt
Berg, Smith
No Morton? TKR will play the 4 plenty when Gillis is out. Waddell isn't strong enough to play the 4, I think he'll end up as a 3. Loyer's strictly a 2/3. I think Smith will be a surprise contributor and could take minutes from IT, depending on how quickly he adapts to college.

No Morton? TKR will play the 4 plenty when Gillis is out. Waddell isn't strong enough to play the 4, I think he'll end up as a 3. Loyer's strictly a 2/3. I think Smith will be a surprise contributor and could take minutes from IT, depending on how quickly he adapts to college.
Oops. Good catch on Morton. Not sure about Waddell - strength for guarding a stretch four in modern game may not be an issue. Lack of quickness against a perimeter 3 could definitely be an issue.

Heide might need a RS year like Gillis coming off an injury. I haven’t heard anything about how serious the injury is. We might need an experienced forward too.
I think we'll have a good amount of experience from the forwards. They'll all have at least one season under there belts except for Heide and we've seen plenty of RS freshmen be big contributors

Oops. Good catch on Morton. Not sure about Waddell - strength for guarding a stretch four in modern game may not be an issue. Lack of quickness against a perimeter 3 could definitely be an issue.
I highly doubt we see much of Waddell next season, coming off an ACL injury and is undersized weight wise for B1G basketball. Morton's probably going to end up playing the 2-4 again, maybe (hopefully personally) some time at the 1 as well

Reactions: Schnelk
I think we'll have a good amount of experience from the forwards. They'll all have at least one season under there belts except for Heide and we've seen plenty of RS freshmen be big contributors
I missed Morton too. He will be in the forward mix.

Reactions: Aamesker
I highly doubt we see much of Waddell next season, coming off an ACL injury and is undersized weight wise for B1G basketball. Morton's probably going to end up playing the 2-4 again, maybe (hopefully personally) some time at the 1 as well
I guess injury is a big question. Recall hearing how scouts came to Purdue practice and took notice of Waddell. Painter has called him a steal. Think if healthy he could have a role. What size were Robbie and Vince as freshman?

2022 Purdue Final 4

2023 Purdue National Championship

One of my Purdue buddies is predicting this. I agree with 2022.

As for 2023, Morton must become one great floor general next year (which he could be) or Braden Smith shines in a John Stock-like role. Too early to tell, but I like the optimism!

Even if Waddell is up to 200 lbs now he'd still need another 25 to play PF in the B1G.

What 4 in the B1G does he need to add 25 more pounds for? The 6'11" 210 pound Moussa Diabate? Or the 6'9" 221 pound Tyler Wahl? Maybe Malik Hall at 225?

This isn't the 90s, Waddell would be fine at 200

No knock on Tre or Sasha, just feel we have better replacements for them.
I guess...Purdue does not have anyone that shoots nearly as well as Stefanovic from behind the arc, and, that creates spacing as such...and, even while he has scuffled and not been as good as capable, Purdue does not have anyone close to providing what Tre does with respect to rebounding, scoring on the block if not doubled and passing out of it if he is.

They have some candidates at least I guess for those two more so than Hunter, but, Purdue is not better without any of those 3 guys.

IT is like Iowa's Bohannon, he plays because the coach is hoping for some 3 's but if no O you get a bad minus from that position cause they are D liabilities

Reactions: purduepat1969
ADVERTISEMENT