ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year

For me the biggest indicator is he still won't go left. At all. If he's going to have a role at the next level it will be as an unstoppable scorer. But going to have to be able to turn either way for that to happen.
Next year.
The progress that he has made already is incredibly impressive...and, in that he is coachable and wants to get better, I absolutely expect him to improve...to get stronger still...to get better at finishing through contact...to at least show the ability to knock down a shot away from the block, and, to indeed be able to go left in that you are spot on in that he ONLY goes right.

If he can add that aspect of being able to go left, along with finishing better through contact...and get back to knocking down FTs...he will be virtually unstoppable at this level as you suggested.

We simply have to get a score first guard. I would be shocked if anyone on the current roster or any of the incoming freshmen scores more than 14 or 15 points per game next year playing the 1, 2 or 3. Newman probably has the most potential but based on what we have seen over the last two years from him and his current situation it's really hard to predict what your going to get from him if anything.
Aside of Trey, I don't know that anyone at those three positions would get to 14 or 15...if they did, it would be a very pleasant surprise.

A score-first guy would be great, but, easier said than done...especially in that Purdue has struggled to land an impact one via transfer outside of Octeus who fell in their lap essentially. Proctor might qualify, but, not as though he lit it up with any consistency.

The only one I can possibly see coming back at all is Hunter but even that is unlikely like you said. I'd be okay with it, but then not sure what happens to people like Morton or maybe even IT.
I agree, I actually want Hunter back though, IT is what he is 9th/10th man who can probably do very well if he were to leave and go to a Valpo type of school. It was strange to see Sasha grabbing NIL money so late in the year though, he’s very smart, not sure it’s a horrible idea to get a final year of grad school paid for and earning money staying in school for a 6th year.

I'd be very surprised if any of our seniors return. Watching the senior day video I didn't see anybody that looked like he felt like he needed/wanted another year.
Agreed, I watched as well, who knows though, the thought of being a 25-30 minute a guy PG has to be going through Hunter’s mind I would think, he’s playing well, maybe he’d like another go around at it.

Agreed, I watched as well, who knows though, the thought of being a 25-30 minute a guy PG has to be going through Hunter’s mind I would think, he’s playing well, maybe he’d like another go around at it.
but probably only if he has dreams of getting paid to play. If he doesn't want to run around Russia other other places, he might be done with hoops after this. And be ready for that. Unbelievable amount of work these kids do as scholarship athletes. 4 years is a long time of offseason workouts and inseason studying with travel, etc etc

For me the biggest indicator is he still won't go left. At all. If he's going to have a role at the next level it will be as an unstoppable scorer. But going to have to be able to turn either way for that to happen.
Next year.
He’s gone left and put it in off glass, at least a few times. I remember commenting to my wife how that was pretty much unstoppable.

Purposely skipped over the last 20 or 30 replies.. Back to the OP, here's my hot take.

Regular Rotation
1: Portal pg, Thompson
2: Newman, Loyer
3: TKR, Morton, Heide
4: Gillis, TKR, Waddell
5: Edey, Furst

When Big Ten play starts the above rotation will tighten to 8 or 9.

Spot Minutes or Redshirt
Berg, Smith
A shame that LaRavia left ISU last year and not this year...he would have been an outstanding fit at the 3.

Last edited:
but probably only if he has dreams of getting paid to play. If he doesn't want to run around Russia other other places, he might be done with hoops after this. And be ready for that. Unbelievable amount of work these kids do as scholarship athletes. 4 years is a long time of offseason workouts and inseason studying with travel, etc etc
Agreed, maybe getting grad school paid for and getting some NIL money would be considered as well. You’re probably correct though, I know this, after the first 10 games I wasn’t hoping he’d return lol. Credit to Eric for turning it around!

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Agreed, maybe getting grad school paid for and getting some NIL money would be considered as well. You’re probably correct though, I know this, after the first 10 games I wasn’t hoping he’d return lol. Credit to Eric for turning it around!
damn straight. Don't know how or why now, but thank goodness.
Now he's integral to our hopes.

Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT