ADVERTISEMENT

Newman

He can’t dribble. Painter says he needs to catches and shoot or one dribble and shoot. But he continues to try and drive to the hoop. At the end he took the ball down the court put up a brick, did not even look to pass. Also played awful D late second half leading to two threes.

No player in Purdue history gets more shit for missing a couple shots/assignments than Brandon Newman. He always guards the opposing teams best guard. Hard to be in rhythm in a short time. Honestly ok with him taking some open ones, he will have a game similar to gillis one of these nights.
I'm not giving him shit at all. I LIKE that he takes shots -- I just think trying to get some easier/closer looks might help him settle in a bit more.

I'm not giving him shit at all. I LIKE that he takes shots -- I just think trying to get some easier/closer looks might help him settle in a bit more.
Sorry I'm quick to judge as it seems people hyper focus on his play and trash. I do believe he will be very important to us moving forward. There has been at least one or two games where he was more effective late offensively and defensively than Morton.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
No player in Purdue history gets more shit for missing a couple shots/assignments than Brandon Newman. He always guards the opposing teams best guard. Hard to be in rhythm in a short time. Honestly ok with him taking some open ones, he will have a game similar to gillis one of these nights.
You spelled Nojel Eastern wrong. (deservedly, btw)

His rebounding and defense have both been good overall this year. Feels like once he sees a couple shots go down fairly early in a game he'll have his breakout performance. Maybe not Gillis 9 of 12 level but 3 - 5 threes some night. When that happens many people here will be happy for him as he's seemingly a great teammate.

Um no. That would be Morton, all game, except for the few minutes Newman spells him. Tonight he did spell him and missed assignments twice in about two minutes. Painter mentioned it in the presser without naming names. I do hope he takes good shots and makes them. He needs one good game where he steps up like he did last year.

Um no. That would be Morton, all game, except for the few minutes Newman spells him. Tonight he did spell him and missed assignments twice in about two minutes. Painter mentioned it in the presser without naming names. I do hope he takes good shots and makes them. He needs one good game where he steps up like he did last year.
You think Morton gets a lot of undeserved flak? Or that Morton guards the best guard (We all know this)? When have Morton and Newman been on the court together? I honestly don't think it has been more than 10 minutes this year, so when Morton is out Newman is in guarding the opposing best guard.

Unless Newman is one hell of an actor (the caliber of Wayne Knight, say), he is still totally committed and locked in from a team standpoint.

Despite his individual struggles, Newman is engaged and fully supportive of his teammates, including those who have earned minutes he might otherwise have had.

Newman's positive attitude does not go unnoticed and is an integral part of Purdue’s success.

You think Morton gets a lot of undeserved flak? Or that Morton guards the best guard (We all know this)? When have Morton and Newman been on the court together? I honestly don't think it has been more than 10 minutes this year, so when Morton is out Newman is in guarding the opposing best guard.
So you agree. Ok.

Reactions: Boiler_HD
That is how I read your comments as well

He can’t dribble. Painter says he needs to catches and shoot or one dribble and shoot. But he continues to try and drive to the hoop. At the end he took the ball down the court put up a brick, did not even look to pass. Also played awful D late second half leading to two threes.
Would not say Newman played awful defense. One time at top of key, he tried a quick double, Pickett hit a three. There was not a second time. Painter jerked him after two mins. Think Painter expects Newman to shoot 80%. Newman did drive and score at the rim twice against MD. Pretty sure is was MD.

Morton is the one that plays awful D. Gets beat off the dribble a lot, can’t get thru a screen. First game against MSU he got beat off the dribble 6-8 times. One time he tried a water polo breast stroke move, must have thought MSU was going to roll the ball in. Another time he tried the 3/4 court tennis racket lunge that led to a MSU 3 ptr.

Newman needs to play more than the 2-4 mins sub time he getting. Morton need to have his mins reduced to about 18-20 max. Jenkins and Newman should get both get 6-8 min each half and game.

Would not say Newman played awful defense. One time at top of key, he tried a quick double, Pickett hit a three. There was not a second time. Painter jerked him after two mins. Think Painter expects Newman to shoot 80%. Newman did drive and score at the rim twice against MD. Pretty sure is was MD.

Morton is the one that plays awful D. Gets beat off the dribble a lot, can’t get thru a screen. First game against MSU he got beat off the dribble 6-8 times. One time he tried a water polo breast stroke move, must have thought MSU was going to roll the ball in. Another time he tried the 3/4 court tennis racket lunge that led to a MSU 3 ptr.

Newman needs to play more than the 2-4 mins sub time he getting. Morton need to have his mins reduced to about 18-20 max. Jenkins and Newman should get both get 6-8 min each half and game.
Like everyone in the forum I do not know the player specific rules for the PSU game...other than we expected Zach to try to help contain inside play and PIckett specifically in the lane...but that was an educated guess. That said it appeared to me that when PSU knocked down some shots in their little run that Matt called time out, Purdue was "overhelping" as they did in the North Texas game that led to wide open shots due to longer close outs.

You can just tell the kid wants to see the ball go in so badly. Wish he would try to get to the rim instead of feeling like he needs to take and make a jumper.
Agree. Seems like he's back to his old self of jacking up the first decent look he gets before he's even broken a sweat.

On the positive, Morton has been trying more dribble/drive the last 3-4 games than any time the entire season. At 6'6, he just needs to commit to attacking the rim when he doesn't that instead of thinking of going tentative and waiting for the D to collapse so he can pass off.

You know better than Matt? Shrews just said last night . Matt is best coach in country.

Aww Matt has pulled Newman twice recently because of lousy defense and called him out at the podium, but yeah he is just the coach. Experts and coaches acknowledge that Morton is one of the best defenders in the league. He gets beat sometimes because he defends against the best for the entire time he is in. But the coaches in the league know nothing next to posters on a message board.

Morton is THE BEST DEFENDER ON THE PU TEAM. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't have a clue.

ADVERTISEMENT