ADVERTISEMENT

Newman vs. Franklin

Sep 7, 2018
FWIW, I have "friends" in the AD and Franklin committed to IU because he knew after his visit to Purdue that Newman was coming to Purdue. Painter knows that too and told Franklin that if he couldn't play with Newman to commit elsewhere because he wanted Newman first and foremost.

If you follow the timeline the above info checks out. Franklin was a hard Purdue lean wanting to commit ASAP but ended up waiting a few days after his visit so he and his family could sort things out and do what was best for them/playing time. Right after Franklin committed to IU, Newman cancelled his IU visit.

At the end of the day IU fans are celebrating getting the lesser of the two players, so excited they got the 140th ranked kid only because they "beat out" Purdue. It's hilarious and shows you where that program is at.

On another note, it's pathetic how fickle and negative our fanbase is, led by the losers over at HammerandRails. Are we really upset that we missed out on the #140th player in the country in exchange for the #80th? LOL. I guarantee that when we land Newman the same ppl posting negative things about Painter last night will not send out a tweet praising him. Pathetic.

FWIW, I have "friends" in the AD and Franklin committed to IU because he knew after his visit to Purdue that Newman was coming to Purdue. Painter knows that too and told Franklin that if he couldn't play with Newman to commit elsewhere because he wanted Newman first and foremost.

If you follow the timeline the above info checks out. Franklin was a hard Purdue lean wanting to commit ASAP but ended up waiting a few days after his visit so he and his family could sort things out and do what was best for them/playing time. Right after Franklin committed to IU, Newman cancelled his IU visit.

At the end of the day IU fans are celebrating getting the lesser of the two players, so excited they got the 140th ranked kid from Purdue. It's hilarious and shows you where that program is at.

Where do you see most IU fans celebrating getting the lesser of the two players? I just posted on here a couple days ago that I was torn. I would rather have Newman, but I would also rather have one of them than neither, and would be ok with Franklin, just not as excited as I would be with Newman. I think that's the exact same take it sounds like you have.

Now I'm not going to disparage a kid who just committed to IU, I'm going to root for him and I do think he'll be a good player eventually. He's no slouch, still a very good player. Just not as excited as I would be for Newman. Best of luck to both kids, no matter where Newman ends up. Don't think this situation says anything about where a program is at, but you can tell yourself that if it makes you feel good.

I'll celebrate if and when Newman says "Purdue" until then IU got another one of our recruiters that was a Purdue lock until the very last minute. If Painter can't recruit against IU then he won't last long. Can't stand those dumb@$$ IU rednecks.

Reactions: BoilerDeac

At the end of the day IU fans are celebrating getting the lesser of the two players, so excited they got the 140th ranked kid only because they "beat out" Purdue. It's hilarious and shows you where that program is at.

On another note, it's pathetic how fickle and negative our fanbase is, led by the losers over at HammerandRails. Are we really upset that we missed out on the #140th player in the country in exchange for the #80th? LOL. I guarantee that when we land Newman the same ppl posting negative things about Painter last night will not send out a tweet praising him. Pathetic.
First post on a brand new account... skeptical.

I'll celebrate if and when Newman says "Purdue" until then IU got another one of our recruiters that was a Purdue lock until the very last minute. If Painter can't recruit against IU then he won't last long. Can't stand those dumb@$$ IU rednecks.
Sorry but this is just kinda silly. There really is no indication that the scenario you mentioned happened other than internet hyperbole.

I get you're emotionally tied to this, but over exaggerating thins won't help my friend.

Reactions: Lazz81 and Purdue85
Just curious....Is there a setting that allows you ton inflate your posts before you ever post? Or does every new account have to have a first post at some point? Isn't how that typically works?
In this instance it's the timing of the new account I would guess. Plus it's quite the common occurrence on here and has been for years for these types of "drive by" posters to come around and then disappear.

So until a person is here a lot and posts, then yeah people are skeptical. I'm sure I had the same reaction from posters when I came back here recently.

Not a lot of difference between 140 and 80. Remember these are rankings of a lot of players and I'd take both in a heart beat. As for your friends in the AD, I doubt Painter would have said that to the #140 player. If Newman were coming for sure, why's he waiting to commit?

Reactions: KisteK and echs86
Not a lot of difference between 140 and 80. Remember these are rankings of a lot of players and I'd take both in a heart beat. As for your friends in the AD, I doubt Painter would have said that to the #140 player. If Newman were coming for sure, why's he waiting to commit?
Not a lot of difference? 60 spots is quite the difference really for evaluating talent. The rest of your post I agree with.

Reactions: Purdue0034

Based on what we've heard, had Franklin committed to Purdue before Newman, Newman would not have considered Purdue since they supposedly didn't want to play together. So you are inferring that Painter pulled his offer to Franklin until after a non commit by Newman to Purdue? Hard for me to believe that scenario.

Reactions: echs86
Sounds like Newman should be ready to verbal then.

Yeah, all that's well and good, unless Newman doesn't commit. Then a new story emerges about how we really didn't want him either.

So will hope you are right, but he's taking all his visits, so this narrative is on shaky ground at best.

Reactions: Roeder and echs86
Yeah, all that's well and good, unless Newman doesn't commit. Then a new story emerges about how we really didn't want him either.

So will hope you are right, but he's taking all his visits, so this narrative is on shaky ground at best.
Indeed. Note I said "should be". I am not the OP.

Reactions: KisteK

Yes. Painter is going to tell an Indiana kid who wants to play for Purdue that he wants another kid more than him and to kick rocks.I'm sure that's exactly how it went down...

Meanwhile in the real world...Both fanbases have been very reserved compared to how a typical IU/Purdue recruiting battle shakes out. IU fans were happy to finally have someone in the fold and Purdue fans were happy to focus on Newman...

Both are fine young men and would be glad to get either of them to be part of the Purdue Family.

I ignore the IU trolls and could care less about Archie or what they think they can do.

Until they even get close to the head to head with us they have nothing.

More concerned about MSU and OSU than that trash down south...…

Boiler Up!

Iu fans have been talking for weeks about wanting Newman not franklin. If you haven't read or heard it, you're living under a rock . They have no shooters. Newman is one of the best in the country in his class.

In all reality there's no telling how each player will end up. Both teams have eminently different systems and coaching styles. Time will tell how each player will pan out in the grand scheme of things. Let's just be glad both players are likely to remain in-state. We've seen too much leakage this past decade especially.

Reactions: KisteK
Iu fans have been talking for weeks about wanting Newman not franklin. If you haven't read or heard it, you're living under a rock . They have no shooters. Newman is one of the best in the country in his class.

Jerome Hunter and Damezi Anderson. Damezi actually had better shooting numbers than Franklin and will be a year older

Jerome Hunter and Damezi Anderson. Damezi actually had better shooting numbers than Franklin and will be a year older

Not to dispute this current reality but we've seen Hoosiers of the past such as Vic Oladipo and Yogi Ferrell go from guys who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn to formidable marksmen over the course of 2-3 seasons. I'm not sure how great of a shooting development program they have under Archie though.

lmao you better be right

Anderson will be an off the bench player and Hunter will be gone after two years at most. Franklin is a good player and will develop into a really good player. He will not, however, immediately turn into a shooter for IU which will hinder is ability to mke an early impact like Newman will wherever he goes. That doesn’t mean that Newman will end up a better player, but he certainly will have an earlier impact.

Boilers 69...
I've got money for as long as Archie is at Indiana. .The Hoosiers will have quite a bit better classes.Every year.
Indiana will end up with a top ten if not a top five class for 2019.

Davis, Sampson, and Crean all could bring in 5 stars to IU too. IU recruits itself and this is nothing new. We'll see if Miller can have sustained success and stick around longer than the previous guys did. Not saying he won't, but if I'm an IU fan I wouldn't get excited about recruiting classes anymore. This next year will definine how the Miller era plays out IMO.

giphy.gif

Anderson will be an off the bench player and Hunter will be gone after two years at most. Franklin is a good player and will develop into a really good player. He will not, however, immediately turn into a shooter for IU which will hinder is ability to mke an early impact like Newman will wherever he goes. That doesn’t mean that Newman will end up a better player, but he certainly will have an earlier impact.

If Jerome Hunter is good enough to go pro after two years why would they need Franklin to make an immediate impact?

Boilers 69...
I've got money for as long as Archie is at Indiana. .The Hoosiers will have quite a bit better classes.Every year.
Indiana will end up with a top ten if not a top five class for 2019.
I have been watching both teams for decades, and it is very rare for Purdue to have a higher rated recruiting class. And yet, when you look at their head-to-head W-L record...

I agree with this take. I have seen multiple scouts say that they think Franklin has more long term upside. That may be true, may not. However, as you said, I'm pretty sure Newman can have more of an immediate impact with his shooting. I'm just glad that Archie is bringing in solid guys like Damezi, Phinisee and Franklin who can be a good core for the next 3 to 4 years. Mix in some more elite players along with that like Hunter and Romeo and you have a good recipe for success.

I have been watching both teams for decades, and it is very rare for Purdue to have a higher rated recruiting class. And yet, when you look at their head-to-head W-L record...

You guys really get excited about that head to head record, but I'm guessing you've never really looked into it too much have you? In the last 40-50 years, the head to head is nearly even. I believe Purdue has one more win since 1987. That's why it's a rivalry. Most of Purdue's lead in the head to head came from 1900-1930. If you want to call IU's banners dusty.....

You guys really get excited about that head to head record, but I'm guessing you've never really looked into it too much have you? In the last 40-50 years, the head to head is nearly even. I believe Purdue has one more win since 1987. That's why it's a rivalry. Most of Purdue's lead in the head to head came from 1900-1930. If you want to call IU's banners dusty.....

I agree that most of the history was prior to WW2 but even with it being near even in the last 40-50, it's clear that Purdue can hold their own against IU even with usually worse recruiting classes.

You guys really get excited about your "recruiting dominance", don't you? That's what I responded to. It's good you have that going for you, though. Think what the record would be if we recruited equal talent.

And I love it when you guys try to parse the records so that it makes you feel better. Try this: "If we Hoosiers add up all of our wins and don't count any of Purdue's wins, we dominate!"

I will admit to having seen neither Franklin or Newman play. However, the general consensus seems to be that Franklin is a slasher while Newman is a straight-up shooter.

If the consensus is correct, then I would prefer Newman if you can only have one. My reasoning is the following: Purdue has a few low-post players. Defenses will likely pack it in to defend against them. A slasher scores by driving through the defense to get close to the basket. But if the defense is packed in low then that acts against him. A perimeter shooter forces the defense out to cover. That opens up the inside.

Given that choice, I like the shooter. That presumes that Painter can really get Newman and not Xavier or O$U.

I agree that most of the history was prior to WW2 but even with it being near even in the last 40-50, it's clear that Purdue can hold their own against IU even with usually worse recruiting classes.

I agree. IU has had superior classes for about as long as I have known, and they really should have a positive margin in the head to head, even in just the last 40 years. When you get two teams that hate each other and have a rivalry, it doesn't matter a whole lot who's on teh court for each team, the games are generally competitive and intense. Even last year, when IU didn't have anyone who could hit the broad side of a barn, it was a 1 point game with a couple minutes left, purely due to the adrenaline of playing at home against your rival.

I really really hope Newman ends up at Purdue, but according to this article (PU, IU, OSU & Xavier) are NOT his final list. Sounds like he is looking for an offer from Kansas. Hall could easily go blue bloods when they start calling and missing out on Franklin & Newman will hurt big big time.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/09...n-officially-visits-purdue-part-final-4-list/
We hear every year that if we don't get player X or Z that it will hurt or we will not amount to anything or what have you, but then somehow still make it to the tourney and a sweet 16.

Sorry bub, we will get who we need regardless and still be successful now that the administration is behind the basketball and football programs.

We hear every year that if we don't get player X or Z that it will hurt or we will not amount to anything or what have you, but then somehow still make it to the tourney and a sweet 16.

Sorry bub, we will get who we need regardless and still be successful now that the administration is behind the basketball and football programs.

Sorry bub...To some making the tourney is just the beginning or the very minimum, so not getting your plan "A" guys will hurt big big time for those folks expecting more of this program.

I really really hope Newman ends up at Purdue, but according to this article (PU, IU, OSU & Xavier) are NOT his final list. Sounds like he is looking for an offer from Kansas. Hall could easily go blue bloods when they start calling and missing out on Franklin & Newman will hurt big big time.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/09...n-officially-visits-purdue-part-final-4-list/

Oh oh! The cursed quote: "Purdue: Newman told Matthew Bain of the Des Moines Register that the Boilermakers have been recruiting him the hardest." I can't count how many times I've read that from a recruit that decided to go elsewhere. Maybe we should start playing hard to get j/k

You guys really get excited about your "recruiting dominance", don't you? That's what I responded to. It's good you have that going for you, though. Think what the record would be if we recruited equal talent.

And I love it when you guys try to parse the records so that it makes you feel better. Try this: "If we Hoosiers add up all of our wins and don't count any of Purdue's wins, we dominate!"

Not really....it's usually Purdue fans on here that are posting about how they want to see Painter step up his recruiting and get more elite recruits like other schools get. But I don't see too many IU fans here touting how great their recruiting is. We're excited about the players we have....most fans are I think.

Maybe I'm wrong....but don't Purdue fans do the exact same thing when they call IU's banners dusty? If those can get old and outdated, so can your wins from the 1920's. You can't have it both ways.

ADVERTISEMENT