ADVERTISEMENT

Newman Update

mreeser

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 17, 2017

Looks like one of two things, maybe both

-the move back to Valpo is resonating hard with him truly staying close
-he loved his Purdue visit and clearly has closed off his recruitment that he seemed like he wanted to keep open for other schools (I.e. Kansas)

I would like to get both of those guys. But If you had your choice between Newman or Franklin, which would you choose?

No. Newman is more polished shooter where Franklin is a driver slasher type.

They played on the same AAU on started together.

What is the bigger need for the '19-'20 team? A shooter or a driver/slasher? I would choose Newman.

What is the bigger need for the '19-'20 team? A shooter or a driver/slasher? I would choose Newman.
Honestly I don’t know since I haven’t seen this team play yet. With that said Painter said he wants a shooter in each class so they can have hurt you inside and outside. I don’t know what type of numbers Armaan puts up from 3 but if you take only one, you take Newman.

Realize that is wishy washy but in a perfect world we take both.

Technically have a shooter already in IT. If you’re looking at long term lineups I’d prefer a 3 guard lineup of Eastern, Hunter, and Newman. More ballhandlers and better shooters. If you swapped Franklin with Newman, you get a bigger and more athletic lineup with Eastern and Franklin but I think Newman compliments Eastern better than Franklin. I still think Franklin has more upside (if he can develop a consistent perimeter shot) because of his size/length, but Newman is more polished. Can’t really go wrong with either and I think it’s great that Painter is basically in a position where he gets one or the other, and potentially both.

Is there room for Newman, Franklin and Hall? Do we have enough scholarships available?
Is there room for Newman, Franklin and Hall? Do we have enough scholarships available?
Could someone find out how TDJ likes how this class is coming together and if there is any reason for him to not jump on board and make this a super team (class)

Could someone find out how TDJ likes how this class is coming together and if there is any reason for him to not jump on board and make this a super team (class)

Likely going to have 5 scholarships because I don’t think Edwards stays all 4 years. Think there is a better chance we get Franklin, Newman, and Hall before we get Newman/Franklin, Hall, AND TJD. I think TJD and Brooks are going to be a package deal and it’s going to come down to MSU, UCLA, and IU. Obviously an opinion but just the way I see it. At this point I think we have a better shot at landing Timme than TJD.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Technically have a shooter already in IT. If you’re looking at long term lineups I’d prefer a 3 guard lineup of Eastern, Hunter, and Newman. More ballhandlers and better shooters. If you swapped Franklin with Newman, you get a bigger and more athletic lineup with Eastern and Franklin but I think Newman compliments Eastern better than Franklin. I still think Franklin has more upside (if he can develop a consistent perimeter shot) because of his size/length, but Newman is more polished. Can’t really go wrong with either and I think it’s great that Painter is basically in a position where he gets one or the other, and potentially both.
Good point - kind of forgot about IT being an elite scorer since he was hurt most the summer. I think he will be a solid glue guy for 4 years and a big time scorer when we need buckets.

Reactions: Boilermaker24
If we get both, we will be scary good for the next four years

Help me project the roster here if that were indeed to happen

Guards
Isaiah Thompson
Armaan Franklin
Eric Hunter

Wings
Sasha Stefanovich
Brandon Newman

Hybrids
Mason Gillis
Nojel Eastern
Aaron Wheeler

Bigs
Evan Bourdreax
Trevion Williams
Emmanuel Dowuonna
HAARMS

Some housekeeping issues to address:

1. This assumes Carsen does indeed leave early and nobody else besides Carsen blows up and leaves early (HAARMS, Eastern, Wheeler, and even Dowuonna all have varying degrees of potential to do this due to possessing NBA size, length, and athleticism. So if their skillset took off this year and caught up to their physical profile, its at least possible if unlikely - just leaving no stone unturned.)

2. This also assumes no other 2019 recruits commit to Purdue. Malik Hall and Drew Timme come to mind.

With those 12 scholarship players, the roster has so much versatility to go big, small, wing heavy, guard heavy, etc. I think thats a sure fire Top 25 team next season and would be a defensive nightmare for opposing teams with all that length and athleticism.

I wonder who would redshirt? Maybe Mason Gillis if hes not all the way healthy.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Good point - kind of forgot about IT being an elite scorer since he was hurt most the summer. I think he will be a solid glue guy for 4 years and a big time scorer when we need buckets.
You also forgot about Hunter. Grabbing stuff off of Twitter accounts and reading Neubert doesn't make you an expert.

You also forgot about Hunter. Grabbing stuff off of Twitter accounts and reading Neubert doesn't make you an expert.
Listen you grumpy old fart - the post I responded to was in regards to Painter bringing in an outside shooter each class. Hunter isn’t in this class you IDIOT.

I don’t repost from Neubert or Gold and Black because if I did, I would be late to the party.

Commenting on my posts just furthers the idea that you add no value here.

Go back in the hole your crawled out of.

Listen you grumpy old fart - the post I responded to was in regards to Painter bringing in an outside shooter each class. Hunter isn’t in this class you IDIOT.

I don’t repost from Neubert or Gold and Black because if I did, I would be late to the party.

Lol you get quicker intel than Brian...ok...

First grasshopper, this board is about much more than recruiting.

No one has better info about recruiting than Brian unless they are on the staff.

I would invite you over except for two things, my toolbox is full and I don't have any desire to own a troll motor.

Lol you get quicker intel than Brian...ok...
Brian had been addressing the two playing together for months before Snow’s report, that you guys are somehow taking as gospel. Snow isn’t more plugged on recruits from Indiana than Brian.

First grasshopper, this board is about much more than recruiting.

No one has better info about recruiting than Brian unless they are on the staff.

I would invite you over except for two things, my toolbox is full and I don't have any desire to own a troll motor.
Thanks for the words of wisdom grandpa. I’m sure these will help me so much in life.

I was a paying premium member and cancelled because I can only handle so much of your hot air and buffoonery. I know you think you are a god send to this board and Purdue in general but you aren’t.

Reactions: BoilerIron
Thanks for the words of wisdom grandpa. I’m sure these will help me so much in life.

I was a paying premium member and cancelled because I can only handle so much of your hot air and buffoonery. I know you think you are a god send to this board and Purdue in general but you aren’t.
I think nothing of the kind. But I am proud of my children and grandchildren. Oh, and it's great grandpa. Dumbass.

Brian had been addressing the two playing together for months before Snow’s report, that you guys are somehow taking as gospel. Snow isn’t more plugged on recruits from Indiana than Brian.

Snow lives in Indianapolis. Not saying he's more plugged than Brian but to insinuate he doesn't know what he's talking about or that there isn't merit to his report (because he's just a national analyst) isn't very accurate.

I think nothing of the kind. But I am proud of my children and grandchildren. Oh, and it's great grandpa. Dumbass.
First you would have been a grandpa. Would take a lot of time to explain the logic but you’re not worth the breath.

Go run back over to the pay said and leave us deplorables alone.

First you would have been a grandpa. Would take a lot of time to explain the logic but you’re not worth the breath.

Go run back over to the pay said and leave us deplorables alone.
That's got to be one of the dumbest posts I've ever read. But it's you and you are trolling, you just aren't very good at it.

Snow lives in Indianapolis. Not saying he's more plugged than Brian but to insinuate he doesn't know what he's talking about or that there isn't merit to his report (because he's just a national analyst) isn't very accurate.
No but butt roast was implying Brian doesn't know more than he does. That was the point.

He recently moved there from Cinncy. He sure as hell isn’t as plugged in as Brian.

ADVERTISEMENT