ADVERTISEMENT

Newman commits!

Well we know our starters to begin the year are Green, Romeo, mcbob (I hate this, but Archie loves him), Smith, and morgan.

RP is the 1st guard off the bench. Hunter the first wing. Fitzner the first big.

I'm not sure that's absolutely our starters.

Archie has spoken highly of Fitzner, Hunter and Anderson. Smith has taken huge strides in the summer. It depends how big Archie wants to play. If he starts Fitzner and Morgan up front, Smith is likely the starting 3. Then McBob, Anderson and Hunter are fighting for the backup 3 and possibly a few minutes at backup 2. If he goes smaller, I could see either Hunter or McBob starting at the 3. If Hunter isn't starting, I think he's the first forward off the bench.

I'm not sure that's absolutely our starters.

Archie has spoken highly of Fitzner, Hunter and Anderson. Smith has taken huge strides in the summer. It depends how big Archie wants to play. If he starts Fitzner and Morgan up front, Smith is likely the starting 3. Then McBob, Anderson and Hunter are fighting for the backup 3 and possibly a few minutes at backup 2. If he goes smaller, I could see either Hunter or McBob starting at the 3. If Hunter isn't starting, I think he's the first forward off the bench.
I should have said "according to the IU 247 site, we know our starters".

Please let's not turn this thread into an IU message board . If you want to talk about a future star at Purdue , that's fine. If you want to talk about IU basketball please feel free to start your own thread.
We were both responding to a Purdue poster. Apologies.

Reactions: Fansince72
Franklin reminds me of Raphael Davis -- one of my favorite boilers. He's a big, strong slashing guard with good offensive numbers in high school. In college, he was the best defender in the B1G when the voters didn't pick AJ Hammons. Franklin will find a role on his team.

I hope you’re right, I liked the way Davis played. I haven’t lived in Indiana for about 3 years now and don’t really know anything about Franklin. From what I read it seems like IU fans were a little uneasy about the commitment and were hoping for Newman. But I’ve also read that Newman’s skill set fits Miller’s scheme better. I’m just taking a wait and see approach.

By all accounts Newman seems like a solid pick up. I know he never played a game there but I live in Florida and invitations to play for Montverde aren’t just handed out.

What's your sleeper and are you playing golf?
Never took up golf. Tried it a couple times but it sort of looked like a combination of peewee baseball and rodeo clowns. Not pretty.

When playing with cars, I have a little sleeper. I drive a highly modified Honda S2000. It looks a lot like a Mazda Miata.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I double checked. You are correct. I just can’t read across a table and get the checks on the right line. This getting old shit is for the birds!
Amen, brother...:D I am now into my 17th year of officiating HS and CBB; baseball as well. Just don't recover like I use to...:oops:

Reactions: mathboy
Franklin reminds me of Raphael Davis -- one of my favorite boilers. He's a big, strong slashing guard with good offensive numbers in high school. In college, he was the best defender in the B1G when the voters didn't pick AJ Hammons. Franklin will find a role on his team.
I'll take a "Raphael Davis". All day. IMO, when I saw Franklin, kid reminded a bit of AJ Moye. Just a bull. Much better athlete than Moye. And more skilled. BUt just had that "get at you" mentality. Thats why I think he'll fit in great with Millers system.

You have mentioned Hunter being a one and done multiple times now. I hope you are right, because if he is a one and done that means IU will be VERY good this year. However, based on reports, I think you are vastly overrating his year one abilities. He is likely to be the 7th or 8th man.

We are basically a lock for TJD, and a heavy lean for Brooks (not just iu guys say this. Snow, Bossi, and Evans agree). Iu fans will be very satisfied with a class of TJD, Brooks, and Franklin.
Hunter can play. Athletic. Can score. He can shoot it. Defends really well. IF Hunter is 7th/8th in minutes on this IU team, I will very disappointed. Spoke with a freind who's son is a Senior on this years New Albany team. He and Langford are very good friends. His dad told me how Romeo just goes on and on about Hunter. I believe it. When I saw the kid play, I thought---My goodness I hope we get this kid.

I'm telling you Trojan, this kid is going to be an impact player. And this year.

If Hunter is 7th or 8th in minutes, Archie should be fired and every recruit should pay attention to what happened to him. I like Hunter far more than Romeo and I don’t hide that fact either.
First part I agree 100%. ANd I doubt this is the case. Hunter is really good.

Now for this second part----Ummm, no. I've watched RL since grade school. Officiated a ton of his games in MS and HS. He's the best player I've ever SEEN, in HS; And keep in mind, I've officiated all across this great state for 17 years now. He reminds me a lot of Calbert Cheaney---Just smooth. Makes everything look so effortless. You don't get a true feel of how good this kid is, until you;ve been on the floor with him. Just insanely good. And not just his skill set. His basketball IQ rivals that of Damon Bailey. Just so in tune. See's things well before they happen. Look, this kid breaks Bailey's record without doubt, if he doesn't miss 4 games. And hell, he could've broken otherwise, TBH. But another part of his game kept that from happening: Unselfishness. Never seen a kid of his talent, be this unselfish. I bet I can count 30-40 times over his career where he had an open dunk, jumper, lay-up, yet opted to pass. And that's being generous with my count. I could go on and on about this kid; Elite scorer. Very good rebounder. And a much better defender then what folks think.

He's the real deal. IF Hunter ends up being as good, or even close to RL, Indiana is going to be scary, scary good.

This thread is about NEWMAN!!!
newman-gif-11.gif

Well we know our starters to begin the year are Green, Romeo, mcbob (I hate this, but Archie loves him), Smith, and morgan.

RP is the 1st guard off the bench. Hunter the first wing. Fitzner the first big.
Agree. But IMO, very short lived. McRoberts probably starts. And that's not a terrible thing. Defensively, he's pretty sturdy. Just can't score. BUT...IU won't need him to score; lsat year, well they kind of did. But this year IU will have Morgan, Langford and Smith. So in that sense, McBob starting isn't that bad. Eventually though, I see Hunter grabbing that spot. I mean unless this kid is vastly overrated, I just see no way you keep him off the floor. He's simply just better(McBob).
As for Green at PG----SHort lived. Phinisee is sturdy. Makes great decisions. Doesn't try and do things he's not capable of. Look, IU just needs someone to get the ball to Morgan, Langford and Smith. And do so without trying to make SportsCenter's Top 10----Phinisee is that guy. Green looks to score first---pass second. Just not a good trait if you are wanting to play PG. And especially so under Miller.

Jeez seriously, lately it looks like this is an IU/Langford board...

Back on Newman, awsome get from CMP and I would like to know more about his skills. I read here that he is already a very good 3&D player (wich is great) but I wanted to ask about what parts of his game does he need to improve? Ball handling? Mid-range game? Creating for others?
Anyways, I'm sure he will be a great Boilermaker!

Last edited:

Back on Newman, awsome get from CMP and I would like to know more about his skills. I read here that he is already a very good 3&D player (wich is great) but I wanted to ask about what parts of his game does he need to improve? Ball handling? Mid-range game? Creating for others?
Anyways, I'm sure it will be a great Boilermaker!
As a Hoosiers fan I wanted Newman more than Franklin. I’m not disappointed with Franklin but Newman has range half court in and it smooth. Seen him and he needs to play a little more undercontrol and improve his handles. Very athletic and relies on that a little to much on d but Painter will break that immediately. He will contribute right away.

Anyways, I'm sure it will be a great Boilermaker!

I've been ignoring all the IU posters now because it inevitabley turns every thread into an argument about IU and Romeo, regardless if they come in peace or not. It actually makes this board enjoyable to read, and cuts the time of reading through these posts in half.

I've been ignoring all the IU posters now because it inevitabley turns every thread into an argument about IU and Romeo, regardless if they come in peace or not. It actually makes this board enjoyable to read, and cuts the time of reading through these posts in half.
But...I like this board. Enjoy different opinions. ANd for the most part, conversations are civil. And they should be. After all, its just a game.

Does anyone know why Armaan Franklin and Brandon Newman didn't want to play together to the point where it affected their college decision? They seemed to get along well enough in photos during their joint visit and play well together in AAU.

I don't understand why iu fans can't stay on their boards and leave us alone. When you have a five hundred record in the big and get to nit again, come and brag. Before that happens , go to the Kentucky board and try to pick a fight. It gets so old dealing with you clowns.

But...I like this board. Enjoy different opinions. ANd for the most part, conversations are civil. And they should be. After all, its just a game.

Agreed, as long as the IU posters understand they're guests, and don't need to elevate the conversation to a p*ssing match (that's what has happened in the past).

Don't get me wrong; I love having posters here from other programs. BUT . . . ! . . . I would never go (as a guest) into someone else's house and tell them how stupid they are. THAT . . . (IMHO) . . . is what has set off many of the Purdue posters here.

I enjoy the enlightenment . . . the discussion. But, when the IU fans absolutely MUST get the Purdue fans to agree with them, that's when it derails.

Agreed, as long as the IU posters understand they're guests, and don't need to elevate the conversation to a p*ssing match (that's what has happened in the past).

Don't get me wrong; I love having posters here from other programs. BUT . . . ! . . . I would never go (as a guest) into someone else's house and tell them how stupid they are. THAT . . . (IMHO) . . . is what has set off many of the Purdue posters here.

I enjoy the enlightenment . . . the discussion. But, when the IU fans absolutely MUST get the Purdue fans to agree with them, that's when it derails.
I agree. I've never called someone stupid. Well, maybe Mcwhatever his name is. I mean you cannot expect someone to agreee with you either, just because they are a guest.....But I do agree for the most.

Reactions: Purdue85
I don't understand why iu fans can't stay on their boards and leave us alone. When you have a five hundred record in the big and get to nit again, come and brag. Before that happens , go to the Kentucky board and try to pick a fight. It gets so old dealing with you clowns.

I don't understand why you, being so tired of IU fans here, decided you should post this:

Iu has eight small forwards on the roster , and they are going to start four of them

If you're so tired of us, why are still bringing IU into the conversation where it has nothing to do with the current topic? Doesn't make much sense to me. Seems like you are looking for responses and then getting upset when you get them.

I don't understand why you, being so tired of IU fans here, decided you should post this:

If you're so tired of us, why are still bringing IU into the conversation where it has nothing to do with the current topic? Doesn't make much sense to me. Seems like you are looking for responses and then getting upset when you get them.
If you look back, almost every side thread on IU was started by an IU guest on here. Also, with the two kids splitting the schools, the one who picked Indiana naturally flows into the conversation. I don't see any sort of deep SNU or Jimmygoiu obsession with the other school anywhere here. Frankly, you and Borden, and several others have been welcome here and you have been most civil.

If you look at the current threads, you may see at least 3 trolling threads from the other end of your fan base. Backlash from these types of posts often poisons the dialog on basketball unfortunately.

Newman is a home run get for Purdue.

Why? A top tier shooter that's athletic enough to guard a P5 sg or sf doesn't really need great handles to be a very, very high level performer in college basketball. Painter doesn't prefer a drive and kick offense anyway - the lack of slashing and handles will have very little effect on his ceiling, and his upside skills are ones that are featured by Painter's system.

If his court awareness is reasonable, he should be at minimum a three year starter at Purdue.

Reactions: mathboy

Why? A top tier shooter that's athletic enough to guard a P5 sg or sf doesn't really need great handles to be a very, very high level performer in college basketball. Painter doesn't prefer a drive and kick offense anyway - the lack of slashing and handles will have very little effect on his ceiling, and his upside skills are ones that are featured by Painter's system.

If his court awareness is reasonable, he should be at minimum a three year starter at Purdue.
I think you are on target. I see a lot of comparable skills with Etwaan Moore. Etwaan was not a drive and dish type player either.

And there are pretty strong stats that virtually no player leaves after his 3rd year ... it's either early, or 4

And there are pretty strong stats that virtually no player leaves after his 3rd year ... it's either early, or 4

I think he's distinguishing "player" from "starter". Imagine he was stating that Newman would start from his soph year forward...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT