ADVERTISEMENT

Newman commits!

I can see this happening, not because Indiana will get even better players (Implied in your post). I think Franklin might not have the skills that translate well into college ball. Of course he can develop those, if he is motivated. Scoring by driving the basket works against overmatched high school opponents, but against D1 talent, Franklin will need other skills.

What I find interesting is that all 3 Purdue recruits for 2019 also had Indiana offers that they spurned.

For years, Burger King did not have a true marketing department. They just followed the McDonald guys around and built a store where ever McDonalds did. Maybe Li'l Archie is adopting the same policy. Just follow Matt Painter around and offer the kids he does? It's been working for Izzo. Why not for the little guy?
you're on a roll today! ;)

I can see this happening, not because Indiana will get even better players (Implied in your post). I think Franklin might not have the skills that translate well into college ball. Of course he can develop those, if he is motivated. Scoring by driving the basket works against overmatched high school opponents, but against D1 talent, Franklin will need other skills.

What I find interesting is that all 3 Purdue recruits for 2019 also had Indiana offers that they spurned.

For years, Burger King did not have a true marketing department. They just followed the McDonald guys around and built a store where ever McDonalds did. Maybe Li'l Archie is adopting the same policy. Just follow Matt Painter around and offer the kids he does? It's been working for Izzo. Why not for the little guy?

Your time might be better spent discussing recruiting with Purdue fans.

Afterall, Indiana fans have a history of discounting Purdue recruits.

Take a look at these hilarious gems

5'11 ,3 star from Texas, and is currently not ranked in the top 150. Edwards is a combo/Point Guard, so that will give the Broilees Weathorford, Thompson and Edwards at PG for 2016-17. Hardly intimidating....

Didn't know he existed until today.

Solid get, but he's not going to scare anyone in the B10.

With guys like this, I prefer to take a believe it when I see it approach. We've all see guys like this come in to both of our programs. Some of them develop really well and are really great players, some don't and some turn out to be solid but not great players. It's more likely he falls into the solid or not panning out than great, hence why I said I don't think he'll scare anyone. At worst, he'll be a four year contributor which isn't a bad thing at all.

thanks for the info. Sure looks like CMP found a diamond down in Texas. He sure sounds a lot like Ronnie Johnson.

Ohwow.jpg

I'm not implying IU will recruit better players than Franklin. I'm stating it as a fact. IU is recruiting Brooks and Ramsey as 2s. That's Franklin's position.

You might want to check up on who IU has offered before trying to make a point. IU never offered IT or Gillis. They pulled their offer from Newman after Franklin committed.

When all is set and done, both Purdue and IU will likely have 3 indiana players each. The difference is that two of IU's will be 5* players.
THAT should make for good games down the road, It will be like the old loaded Lakers and the Celtic "teams"...not just the Magic/Bird days, but when the lakers bought the best at their positions (they thought)...Chamberlain, Bayler and West against Russell, Howell, Satch, Hondo, Sam Jones and Casey. Seriously, perhaps the Big will once again go through the state of Indiana

I dont follow him on twitter. I already follow Bossi, Brian, and Corey Evans, so I feel theres nothing he can offer me.
So Snow is a phony because he makes CB picks, but Evans isnt even though he makes the rivals equivalent of CB picks?

*I think both are really good at what they do*

So Snow is a phony because he makes CB picks, but Evans isnt even though he makes the rivals equivalent of CB picks?

I like all recruiting analyst in small doses.

Now the Rivals prediction thing is new so I don’t put too much weight behind it.

I believe the folks at 247 get some sort of Comp based on their predictions right?

So feel free to continue following him. I dont care if anyone else follows him, was just telling Beef I don't follow him because hes wrong all the time.

I like all recruiting analyst in small doses.

Now the Rivals prediction thing is new so I don’t put too much weight behind it.

I believe the folks at 247 get some sort of Comp based on their predictions right?
They are encouraged to make picks to drive clicks. One would assume Rivals brass want a similar thing to happen here. It's a smart business plan.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Planning a trip up north to Traverse City in a few weeks. Waiting for the color to improve. Also had a great time on the Woodward Dream Cruise. Nothing like driving a sleeper and having some fun with the big Dodges.
We were in that area a few weeks ago thinking about how gorgeous it will be in another month.

The Audio Daily Double should be interesting....

giphy.gif

And now...……..
z22458861Q,Joe-Pesci.jpg

Ray_Liotta_622576258.jpg

Damn, I miss all of these actors in their glory years...…...who is gonna replace all of the Hollywood legends? I'm afraid of the answer......or that the answer is another SuperHero movie. Sorry for the rant...…...and I actually like SuperHero movies, but the Nicholsons, Deniro's, Hanks, Pacinos, etc are disappearing quickly.

THAT should make for good games down the road, It will be like the old loaded Lakers and the Celtic "teams"...not just the Magic/Bird days, but when the lakers bought the best at their positions (they thought)...Chamberlain, Bayler and West against Russell, Howell, Satch, Hondo, Sam Jones and Casey. Seriously, perhaps the Big will once again go through the state of Indiana

Been a LONG time since I heard the sound "HONDO." Thx for the memories.

Been a LONG time since I heard the sound "HONDO." Thx for the memories.
I remember in the very early 60's finding a radio and listening to their games. Sam in the video at the end was gracious. The Celtics and Hinkle were my early years in basketball... ;)

I remember in the very early 60's finding a radio and listening to their games. Sam in the video at the end was gracious. The Celtics and Hinkle were my early years in basketball... ;)
It always pissed me off that Knight played with Lucas and Hondo ... geez, c'mon man. Plus, Hondo was the Celt's leading scorer forever --- ahead of Russel.

It always pissed me off that Knight played with Lucas and Hondo ... geez, c'mon man. Plus, Hondo was the Celt's leading scorer forever --- ahead of Russel.
Remember Larry Siegfried? Another OSU player that went on and played with Hondo. Showing my age (its already known), but I recall in 76 when people were talking about IU's defense and my brother-in-law said...IU played good D, but OSU with that group was better. ;) One thing about getting old...you have a lot of memories and still can get giddy about the next game...

You do realize Miller's only been at IU for one year, right? Of course he's going to offer kids Painter already has. Highly doubtful Miller was recruiting Phinisee, Anderson, etc, etc...while at Dayton.

Funny how a month ago , when Franklin was a Purdue lock, he wasn't seen as a player not being able to transition to the college game. But now that he's at IU, suddenly you have doubts? Ok. I mean I get it. THis is your home board. Understandable. And my apologies for "intruding". But c'mon, now.

Anyways...Miller's recruiting will just fine. No need to follow Painter around. Top 10 class this year. Likely another one next year. He's just fine all by his "little" self.

Reactions: killnada
You do realize Miller's only been at IU for one year, right? Of course he's going to offer kids Painter already has. Highly doubtful Miller was recruiting Phinisee, Anderson, etc, etc...while at Dayton.

Funny how a month ago , when Franklin was a Purdue lock, he wasn't seen as a player not being able to transition to the college game. But now that he's at IU, suddenly you have doubts? Ok. I mean I get it. THis is your home board. Understandable. And my apologies for "intruding". But c'mon, now.

Anyways...Miller's recruiting will just fine. No need to follow Painter around. Top 10 class this year. Likely another one next year. He's just fine all by his "little" self.
I expect IU to continue to recruit well as they have over the decades...no matter the coach. BTW, the little I've seen of Franklin I like him as well.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
I expect IU to continue to recruit well as they have over the decades...no matter the coach. BTW, the little I've seen of Franklin I like him as well.
I like Franklin. I think he'll fit in just fine. I do think Newman is a bit more polished. But TBH, I think Miller got who he wanted. AS I said, I think both are great gets for both teams.

Don’t sweat it Borden. I had not expressed an opinion one way or the other on this board. I have liked Newman all along, but would not have turned down Franklin in any case. I just think Newmans game will translate better to the college game. Others here liked Franklin. That’s okay. We won’t know until 2-3 years from now who was right, and I don’t think any of us should care by then.

I just thought it was funny that Archie had offers to all of the now Purdue commits. I can only speculate that when Painter had them both here (Newman & Franklin), he may have indicated his preference since Franklin practically ripped down to Bloomington to commit afterward. Wish I was a fly on the wall. I am sure Painter would have taken both of them, but he might have been blunt enough with both that Franklin knew where he stood. That is Matt’s style.

Don’t sweat it Borden. I had not expressed an opinion one way or the other on this board. I have liked Newman all along, but would not have turned down Franklin in any case. I just think Newmans game will translate better to the college game. Others here liked Franklin. That’s okay. We won’t know until 2-3 years from now who was right, and I don’t think any of us should care by then.

I just thought it was funny that Archie had offers to all of the now Purdue commits. I can only speculate that when Painter had them both here (Newman & Franklin), he may have indicated his preference since Franklin practically ripped down to Bloomington to commit afterward. Wish I was a fly on the wall. I am sure Painter would have taken both of them, but he might have been blunt enough with both that Franklin knew where he stood. That is Matt’s style.
Again, IU never offered IT or Gillis. However, you dont seem like a guy that will let the truth get in the way of a good story.

I believe after IT made the trip down there he left with a nauseous feeling in his stomach. Then he was probably thinking ,what am I doing? This place is not for me!

To be honest I thought Archie should not have accepted Anderson and should have gone all in on Henry. Then he got the pledge from Franklin when Newman was a better fit. Not sure holding out for Newman would have worked or not, but it worked for Purdue.

Archie needed a guard that can shoot and contribute right away. That’s Newman. Franklin is an athlete but they are going to be hurting for shooting. They have Anderson but I just can’t see him getting enough time on the court as he would get toasted as a 2 and the 3/4 is going to be pretty backlogged. Henry is kind of like Franklin, but with more upside IMO (although I do think Franklin has a lot of upside I just think he will take more time than Henry who is a class ahead of Franklin). Henry would have just made more sense to me than Franklin/Anderson.

I think Archie took the guy that didn’t fit his exact need just to guarantee he got a talented kid and make sure he didn’t whiff on the guy that better fit/choice A. I don’t blame him. I don’t see how Painter could have possibly told Franklin no without knowing Newman was a lock. I think Newman was always the first choice and it’s been well documented that fans on the forum and twitter preferred Newman long before Franklin chose IU. Purdue benefited from Franklins decision just as MSU benifted from Anderson’s.

I think IU lands TJD. I am not sure how well he will do or how long he will stay. I imagine his numbers will be similar to JJJ and he will leave quickly. I think TJD will look really great in some games and get exposed in other games. I think TJD would benefit from developing for 2-3 years, but hey, if the getting is good, go on and get.

I think KBJ ends up at MSU, which is frustrating because Izzo really struggled the last two years and JJJ left unhappy (wasn’t quiet about it either). UCLA should be right in the mix for KBJ as well. He was a little underwhelming at the Peach Jam as well compared to some others ranked similarly to him.

Watching the Heat, the most impressive player on the team was IT. TJD had one game where he took over, but he struggled with his shot. KBJ was good but not dominant. IT brought the team back to life a few times and carried them on his back. And he dropped 40 once. Even coming off the injury, there appeared to be very little rust, outside of one game. I think IT is criminally underrated and the reason IU never offered was because a Purdue locked that down before Archie even got there.

As for Archie offering Gillis, it would have made zero sense for IU to offer and go after Gillis based on who they were recruiting and who is on the roster. It would have made even less sense for Archie to go after Gillis than Anderson over Henry or Franklin over Newman.

If IU misses on Ramsey and KBJ, even if they land TJD, Will IU fans get restless? Franklin will be good, but I am not sure he is an immediate impact guy and they need help at the guard. I still think Hunter and Romeo leave early so they are going to need something there. If Hunter stays a second year, that makes life much better for IU fans and allows IU to try again for an elite 2/3 in the ‘20 class. Right now, IU is in the mix for some elite talent. If they miss, I would not say Archie did a good job this year in recruiting considering their needs. They land KBJ, TJD, and Ramsey and that becomes one of the highest rated classes in the nation. IU can’t afford to miss on 2 out of those 3 guys, especially IF Romeo and Hunter leave early. I think what Archie does in this class has the potential to make or break his time at IU.

Painter has played this process really well. If he lands Hall, I will extremely happy with the class. That is one heck of a core and would be perfect to pair with Williams, Dow, and Hunter for the future. Not to mention Wheeler, Haarms, and Eastern.

To be honest I thought Archie should not have accepted Anderson and should have gone all in on Henry. Then he got the pledge from Franklin when Newman was a better fit. Not sure holding out for Newman would have worked or not, but it worked for Purdue.

Archie needed a guard that can shoot and contribute right away. That’s Newman. Franklin is an athlete but they are going to be hurting for shooting. They have Anderson but I just can’t see him getting enough time on the court as he would get toasted as a 2 and the 3/4 is going to be pretty backlogged. Henry is kind of like Franklin, but with more upside IMO (although I do think Franklin has a lot of upside I just think he will take more time than Henry who is a class ahead of Franklin). Henry would have just made more sense to me than Franklin/Anderson.

I think Archie took the guy that didn’t fit his exact need just to guarantee he got a talented kid and make sure he didn’t whiff on the guy that better fit/choice A. I don’t blame him. I don’t see how Painter could have possibly told Franklin no without knowing Newman was a lock. I think Newman was always the first choice and it’s been well documented that fans on the forum and twitter preferred Newman long before Franklin chose IU. Purdue benefited from Franklins decision just as MSU benifted from Anderson’s.

I think IU lands TJD. I am not sure how well he will do or how long he will stay. I imagine his numbers will be similar to JJJ and he will leave quickly. I think TJD will look really great in some games and get exposed in other games. I think TJD would benefit from developing for 2-3 years, but hey, if the getting is good, go on and get.

I think KBJ ends up at MSU, which is frustrating because Izzo really struggled the last two years and JJJ left unhappy (wasn’t quiet about it either). UCLA should be right in the mix for KBJ as well. He was a little underwhelming at the Peach Jam as well compared to some others ranked similarly to him.

Watching the Heat, the most impressive player on the team was IT. TJD had one game where he took over, but he struggled with his shot. KBJ was good but not dominant. IT brought the team back to life a few times and carried them on his back. And he dropped 40 once. Even coming off the injury, there appeared to be very little rust, outside of one game. I think IT is criminally underrated and the reason IU never offered was because a Purdue locked that down before Archie even got there.

As for Archie offering Gillis, it would have made zero sense for IU to offer and go after Gillis based on who they were recruiting and who is on the roster. It would have made even less sense for Archie to go after Gillis than Anderson over Henry or Franklin over Newman.

If IU misses on Ramsey and KBJ, even if they land TJD, Will IU fans get restless? Franklin will be good, but I am not sure he is an immediate impact guy and they need help at the guard. I still think Hunter and Romeo leave early so they are going to need something there. If Hunter stays a second year, that makes life much better for IU fans and allows IU to try again for an elite 2/3 in the ‘20 class. Right now, IU is in the mix for some elite talent. If they miss, I would not say Archie did a good job this year in recruiting considering their needs. They land KBJ, TJD, and Ramsey and that becomes one of the highest rated classes in the nation. IU can’t afford to miss on 2 out of those 3 guys, especially IF Romeo and Hunter leave early. I think what Archie does in this class has the potential to make or break his time at IU.

Painter has played this process really well. If he lands Hall, I will extremely happy with the class. That is one heck of a core and would be perfect to pair with Williams, Dow, and Hunter for the future. Not to mention Wheeler, Haarms, and Eastern.
You have mentioned Hunter being a one and done multiple times now. I hope you are right, because if he is a one and done that means IU will be VERY good this year. However, based on reports, I think you are vastly overrating his year one abilities. He is likely to be the 7th or 8th man.

We are basically a lock for TJD, and a heavy lean for Brooks (not just iu guys say this. Snow, Bossi, and Evans agree). Iu fans will be very satisfied with a class of TJD, Brooks, and Franklin.

I like Franklin. I think he'll fit in just fine. I do think Newman is a bit more polished. But TBH, I think Miller got who he wanted. AS I said, I think both are great gets for both teams.
Franklin reminds me of Raphael Davis -- one of my favorite boilers. He's a big, strong slashing guard with good offensive numbers in high school. In college, he was the best defender in the B1G when the voters didn't pick AJ Hammons. Franklin will find a role on his team.

Franklin reminds me of Raphael Davis -- one of my favorite boilers. He's a big, strong slashing guard with good offensive numbers in high school. In college, he was the best defender in the B1G when the voters didn't pick AJ Hammons. Franklin will find a role on his team.

Loved Davis too. Wasn't Davis like 6'6" and 215+?

I think Franklin was aware of Newman's thoughts as well.

You have mentioned Hunter being a one and done multiple times now. I hope you are right, because if he is a one and done that means IU will be VERY good this year. However, based on reports, I think you are vastly overrating his year one abilities. He is likely to be the 7th or 8th man.

We are basically a lock for TJD, and a heavy lean for Brooks (not just iu guys say this. Snow, Bossi, and Evans agree). Iu fans will be very satisfied with a class of TJD, Brooks, and Franklin.

If Hunter is 7th or 8th in minutes, Archie should be fired and every recruit should pay attention to what happened to him.

Name 6-7 better players on that roster? Maybe I am underselling what IU has on their roster, but I am telling you, Hunter is the real deal. He could be a starter as a true freshman at a lot of P5 schools. I know Archie stacked up a lot of forwards, but Hunter can play the 2/3, which they don’t have a lot at those positions. At worst, he should be first off the bench to start the year as he learns the college game. Hunter is athletic, he can score, and he can defend.

Maybe Hunter does get buried in forwardsville and get Archied, but that would be worst case scenario for everybody involved. I want Hunter to succeed (in all games that he is not playing Purdue). Next to THT who went to Iowa State, Hunter was the guy I wanted the most to come to Purdue. He was always the best player on the court but he wasn’t a player that got his numbers by sheer volume. I like Hunter far more than Romeo and I don’t hide that fact either.

From what I was told recruiting for Franklin was different the last few months and was told the decision for Newman to come back was the turning point.

If Hunter is 7th or 8th in minutes, Archie should be fired and every recruit should pay attention to what happened to him.

Name 6-7 better players on that roster? Maybe I am underselling what IU has on their roster, but I am telling you, Hunter is the real deal. He could be a starter as a true freshman at a lot of P5 schools. I know Archie stacked up a lot of forwards, but Hunter can play the 2/3, which they don’t have a lot at those positions. At worst, he should be first off the bench to start the year as he learns the college game. Hunter is athletic, he can score, and he can defend.

Maybe Hunter does get buried in forwardsville and get Archied, but that would be worst case scenario for everybody involved. I want Hunter to succeed (in all games that he is not playing Purdue). Next to THT who went to Iowa State, Hunter was the guy I wanted the most to come to Purdue. He was always the best player on the court but he wasn’t a player that got his numbers by sheer volume. I like Hunter far more than Romeo and I don’t hide that fact either.
Well we know our starters to begin the year are Green, Romeo, mcbob (I hate this, but Archie loves him), Smith, and morgan.

RP is the 1st guard off the bench. Hunter the first wing. Fitzner the first big.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT