ADVERTISEMENT

Newman at 81 in rivals 150

Who does PU have to guard Morgan? He scored 24 last year and Justin Smith added 5. CE scored 10, but the next leading PU scorer returning is Haarms with 4. Combine that with Eastern's 2 pts, and you have the total (16) pts PU has returning in the IU/PU matchup. Who did Rob Johnson score his 21 pts against?
Yes sir! You got it right. IU will score at least 60 against us, and we will score only 16 points. Anyone who knows basketball knows that is true (TIC). Relax IU trolls, you got this in the bag next year.

Nojel Eastern, a dominant defensive guard at a fast 6'7" will have no chance at guarding the battalions of IU forwards and their 2 guards that will score almost every time they touch the ball, and maybe even twice, even though they will all average about 4 PPG otherwise. No doubt Carsen Edwards will forget how to guard, and how to steal the ball from clods like those playing for IU and have a hard time finding the basket while on offense. 6'9" Evan Boudreaux will be helpless watching players wearing red & white flash past him with the ball, while fumbling about around the basket. 7'3" Haarms will never figure out how to squash IU's undersized centers. 6'9" Wheeler will have forgotten how to shoot and he will leave his 40"+ vertical on the practice floor. ...and worst of all, Little Archie will show everyone he can coach in the BIG.... Oh no! Oh no!

I just can't wait for this Purdue "disaster". I will be watching with popcorn and adult beverage, ready to laugh. Thanks for the entertainment IU. I will enjoy.

Maybe an hour or two over the course of 3 months... lol 7 to 10 times each game??? That's over 400 hours just this year...

What can I say, I like what I like. I also don't fall for b's posts like "Who can guard Juwan Morgan?" Because I've seen him being blocked and turned over multiple times by HAARMS.

What can I say, I like what I like. I also don't fall for b's posts like "Who can guard Juwan Morgan?" Because I've seen him being blocked and turned over multiple times by HAARMS.
I'm not the poster that asked who could guard Morgan...

Who does PU have to guard Morgan? He scored 24 last year and Justin Smith added 5. CE scored 10, but the next leading PU scorer returning is Haarms with 4. Combine that with Eastern's 2 pts, and you have the total (16) pts PU has returning in the IU/PU matchup. Who did Rob Johnson score his 21 pts against?

Admittedly neither Green nor Cline scored, and both only took a single shot attempt. But Green played 4 mins and Cline played 18. I think PU is going to miss the 4 starters lost a lot more than folks on this board are willing to admit. But that's just an opinion and I could be wrong about the fact that PU lacks scoring options and will be counting on players to assume roles that may be beyond their pay grade.

We are all dumber for having read this post. At no point in your incoherent rambling did you approach anything resembling a rational thought.

Last edited:
How many points does IU have returning from that game?

Neither Devonte Green or Mcroberts have any shot whatsoever of guarding Carsen Edwards with success. Carsen would eat them alive within minutes.

Carsen is very good, I agree with that. However, he's not a God. He's capable of being stopped. McRoberts was #2 in the BIG in steal rate last season, Green was #10. Eastern wasn't in the top 100. Before you argue, steal rate isn't based on minutes played, it's a percentage. Eastern still isn't on the list.

McRoberts allowed .71 points per possession when guarding the man who ended the possession (took a shot or turned it over). That was in the 91st percentile in the country. (that data point is from Synergy sports, which I don't have access to, just heard it quoted on a podcast, otherwise I would look up other player's stats as well.)

All this to say, those 2 can defend a little bit. I'm sure Carsen will still score his points, and I'm fine with that as long as no one else goes off. If someone else on Purdue's team can prove capable of putting up big points, then they'll become dangerous. That's yet to be seen, but could happen.

Carsen is very good, I agree with that. However, he's not a God. He's capable of being stopped. McRoberts was #2 in the BIG in steal rate last season, Green was #10. Eastern wasn't in the top 100. Before you argue, steal rate isn't based on minutes played, it's a percentage. Eastern still isn't on the list.

McRoberts allowed .71 points per possession when guarding the man who ended the possession (took a shot or turned it over). That was in the 91st percentile in the country. (that data point is from Synergy sports, which I don't have access to, just heard it quoted on a podcast, otherwise I would look up other player's stats as well.)

All this to say, those 2 can defend a little bit. I'm sure Carsen will still score his points, and I'm fine with that as long as no one else goes off. If someone else on Purdue's team can prove capable of putting up big points, then they'll become dangerous. That's yet to be seen, but could happen.

Only by Chuck Norris.

Reactions: boilernuke

Nice statistical backup to your argument. I appreciate the effort you took to ground the discussion in facts and not get pulled into the cheesy back and forth.

I think you are right on target about Purdue needing other scoring options than Carsen Edwards. Carsen will get his points, but Purdue doesn’t win many games unless there are significant other scoring options. So who else has the capability to score double digits? Here is my list in order of probability:

1. Our second best scoring option is probably Evan Boudreaux. He averaged 17.5 points and 9.5 rebounds in 2016-17 playing in the Ivy League. He was the primary scoring option on his team, so everybody focused their defense on him last year. This year he will have more firepower around him and better offensive coaching. Sure BIG > Ivy League, but I expect him to carry about the same averages.

2. Haarms will be a threat inside. I expect him to make that performance jump from freshman to sophomore year, and start scoring more consistently. He is quicker and can jump better than Haas, plus he has a good outside shot. I expect him to average at least 10-12 PPG, and be the focus of opposing coach’s defensive game plans.

3. Nojel Eastern is another freshman making that jump to sophomore. He is a top 80 guard that has a quick first step to the basket. Last year he was very young even for a freshman, and had a big transition to D1 basketball. This year Painter will be running sets for him to score, and that will be a huge difference, along with his maturity. I am less confident he can consistently score double digits, but he has all the skills to do that. Last year he had one game where he scored 11, so we know he has that capability.

4. Ryan Cline “The Assassin” is a great shooter, finishing second behind Biggie Swanigan for Indiana Mr. Basketball. Given starters minutes he might shoot himself to a double digit average, but that is not as likely as the first 3 options I mentioned. He is an excellent passer and might hold his starting spot on helping others score.

5. Aaron Wheeler, Sasha Stefanovic, Trevion Williams, Eric Hunter are all unknowns who were strong scoring players in high school. Nothing statistical is available to prove they can score points in bunches in the college game. It would be great if one of these guys has a break out year and becomes a regular scoring option.
For Purdue to compete at the highest levels next year we will need options 1 and 2 to be solid, plus some one from 3, 4, or 5 to regularly add to the scoring.

Most successful teams have about 3 strong scoring options on the floor. Last year, when we went to our bench, we did not get much production. I am concerned that this coming year will be similar. That’s why we will need one of the players in option 5 to step up his game, because that group will likely come off the bench.

Reactions: Gary Boiler
Nice statistical backup to your argument. I appreciate the effort you took to ground the discussion in facts and not get pulled into the cheesy back and forth.

I think you are right on target about Purdue needing other scoring options than Carsen Edwards. Carsen will get his points, but Purdue doesn’t win many games unless there are significant other scoring options. So who else has the capability to score double digits? Here is my list in order of probability:

1. Our second best scoring option is probably Evan Boudreaux. He averaged 17.5 points and 9.5 rebounds in 2016-17 playing in the Ivy League. He was the primary scoring option on his team, so everybody focused their defense on him last year. This year he will have more firepower around him and better offensive coaching. Sure BIG > Ivy League, but I expect him to carry about the same averages.

2. Haarms will be a threat inside. I expect him to make that performance jump from freshman to sophomore year, and start scoring more consistently. He is quicker and can jump better than Haas, plus he has a good outside shot. I expect him to average at least 10-12 PPG, and be the focus of opposing coach’s defensive game plans.

3. Nojel Eastern is another freshman making that jump to sophomore. He is a top 80 guard that has a quick first step to the basket. Last year he was very young even for a freshman, and had a big transition to D1 basketball. This year Painter will be running sets for him to score, and that will be a huge difference, along with his maturity. I am less confident he can consistently score double digits, but he has all the skills to do that. Last year he had one game where he scored 11, so we know he has that capability.

4. Ryan Cline “The Assassin” is a great shooter, finishing second behind Biggie Swanigan for Indiana Mr. Basketball. Given starters minutes he might shoot himself to a double digit average, but that is not as likely as the first 3 options I mentioned. He is an excellent passer and might hold his starting spot on helping others score.

5. Aaron Wheeler, Sasha Stefanovic, Trevion Williams, Eric Hunter are all unknowns who were strong scoring players in high school. Nothing statistical is available to prove they can score points in bunches in the college game. It would be great if one of these guys has a break out year and becomes a regular scoring option.
For Purdue to compete at the highest levels next year we will need options 1 and 2 to be solid, plus some one from 3, 4, or 5 to regularly add to the scoring.

Most successful teams have about 3 strong scoring options on the floor. Last year, when we went to our bench, we did not get much production. I am concerned that this coming year will be similar. That’s why we will need one of the players in option 5 to step up his game, because that group will likely come off the bench.
5 months season begins those of you who no or think what my son can do than me or my son in due time you will find out what this kid will bring to this team. Confidence can do a lot for the mind when you no finally my time has come. He’s ready his mind is right his game has evolved been working all summer on everything he needs to work on and he looks good. He’s leaner he’s faster gain more athleticism he’s stronger and he’s mentally ready to step up lead this team and help this team albeit young and inexperienced Win. 3/4 min here and there per half nobody can do much but 25/30 min you can do a lot. Off season is about grinding and getting better he’s doing that gonna be impressed with the results bcuz I’m watching this kid putting in thst work everyday some 2 a days to be ready for this season. A lot of unknowns sure it is those questions will be answered in 5 months we all will see what this talented team is made of.

McRoberts was #2 in the BIG in steal rate last season, Green was #10. Eastern wasn't in the top 100. Before you argue, steal rate isn't based on minutes played, it's a percentage. Eastern still isn't on the list.
Who cares ???

Steal rate? Really??

Sounds like something Clappy would have put a lot of stock in.

Reactions: Heller
Is mcroberts even going to play ? I would think with all that talent coming in mcroberts playing time would be virtually nil.

Who cares ???

Steal rate? Really??

Sounds like something Clappy would have put a lot of stock in.

Individual defensive stats are few and far between. It's pretty tough to quantify defensive skill for a player, but steal rate is at least a stat that's readily available that gives a partial picture. It's not everything, but it's one of the few metrics we have.

Is mcroberts even going to play ? I would think with all that talent coming in mcroberts playing time would be virtually nil.

I think he'll play plenty. Already during the off-season Archie has spoken very highly of him. He started off not playing much last year because he's a walk-on and I'm sure coach assumed he wouldn't need him. Well when you work hard, hustle and play solid fundamental defense, it's hard to deny you minutes. He earned his time, and he'll earn it again. If someone else earns it more and takes those minutes away, then they have earned it and I'll be happy with that. I would be surprised if McRoberts plays less than 20 minutes a game, I think he likely starts. His 3-point % was good last year as well, but on limited attempts. If he can gain confidence and take the open shot when he has it, he can stretch the defense as well.

Thank you, I agree with all of this. If those guys all step up, Purdue will be very tough. I appreciate your logical and sound response, unlike others who just spew crap with nothing to back it up, just because they want to argue. Posters like you are few.

5 months season begins those of you who no or think what my son can do than me or my son in due time you will find out what this kid will bring to this team. Confidence can do a lot for the mind when you no finally my time has come. He’s ready his mind is right his game has evolved been working all summer on everything he needs to work on and he looks good. He’s leaner he’s faster gain more athleticism he’s stronger and he’s mentally ready to step up lead this team and help this team albeit young and inexperienced Win. 3/4 min here and there per half nobody can do much but 25/30 min you can do a lot. Off season is about grinding and getting better he’s doing that gonna be impressed with the results bcuz I’m watching this kid putting in thst work everyday some 2 a days to be ready for this season. A lot of unknowns sure it is those questions will be answered in 5 months we all will see what this talented team is made of.
I agree with all this. I think Nojel may be one of the players with huge impact next year. However, there is nothing to prove to doubters what you and I think might happen. Nojel was so young last year he seemed to be a little kid in a man’s body at times. I expect that will change as he grows into his frame mentally. He may be most dangerous dishing the ball rather than scoring. Haarms has better hands than Haas did, and will benefit from Nojels speed.

Sure hope Nojel has been working on his shooting.I f he can improve it he will be a very good player!

I think the BIG season was an eye opener for Nojel. Since the end of last season, he has been crafting his game to meet the challenge. By the end of this next season, my prediction is that the Carsen - Nojel guard tandem will be recognized as the best in the BIG, and one of the best in the country. Yes, I know there are plenty of other tandems that could be considered as that, but my feeling is that both our kids have the athleticism and have put in the work and will be dominant.

It’s off season, and it’s just my prediction. I’ll be glad to eat crow later.

Last edited:
I think the BIG season was an eye opener for Nojel. Since the end of last season, he has been crafting his game to meet the challenge. By the end of this next season, my prediction is that the Carsen - Nojel guard tandem will be recognized as the best in the BIG, and one of the best in the country. Yes, I know there are plenty of other tandems that could be considered as that, but my feeling is that both our kids have the athleticism and have put in the work and will be dominant.

How many crows do you think you'll eat?

I agree with all this. I think Nojel may be one of the players with huge impact next year. However, there is nothing to prove to doubters what you and I think might happen. Nojel was so young last year he seemed to be a little kid in a man’s body at times. I expect that will change as he grows into his frame mentally. He may be most dangerous dishing the ball rather than scoring. Haarms has better hands than Haas did, and will benefit from Nojels speed.
Sir your opinion is your opinion I respect that but I think I no my son better than any fan. You saw not kid figuring out his body but a kid who just didn’t play and mentally that played a toll on his confidence period. He is a basketball player not just a passer defender rebounder he can score in many ways 5 months you and others will see. Don’t judge a book by its cover you tell me what you would do if you were getting about 3/4 min per half a game not much at all I can tell you what he can do with 25/30 min a game A LOT.

Sir your opinion is your opinion I respect that but I think I no my son better than any fan. You saw not kid figuring out his body but a kid who just didn’t play and mentally that played a toll on his confidence period. He is a basketball player not just a passer defender rebounder he can score in many ways 5 months you and others will see. Don’t judge a book by its cover you tell me what you would do if you were getting about 3/4 min per half a game not much at all I can tell you what he can do with 25/30 min a game A LOT.

Please, don't.

I thought we were past this a couple of months ago. Apparently, we're not.

Please let fans be fans. They love Purdue basketball. They're not disparaging your son. I thought we were past all that.

We all have opinions. We all are rabid fans who want this program to advance. And, we all comment on players. It doesn't mean we're "judging". It doesn't mean we know the players better than the parents.

Understand, I LOVE(!) having parents hangin' out on these forums.

But not when parents have a knee-jerk reaction to each and every comment about a specific player.

Please stop. Stop feeling like you have to respond to every fan who sees (or recognizes) needed areas of improvement. it's not personal. In fact, it's the opposite.

WE.

JUST.

LOVE.

PURDUE.

BASKETBALL.

And, yes, we/they will talk about your son.

It might be accurate, it might not be.

Let it go.

Leave it alone.

PLEASE.

Please, don't.

Please let fans be fans. They love Purdue basketball. They're not disparaging your son. I thought we were past all that.

We all have opinions. We all are rabid fans who want this program to advance. And, we all comment on players. It doesn't mean we're "judging". It doesn't mean we know the players better than the parents.

But not when parents have a knee-jerk reaction to each and every comment about a specific player.

Please stop. Stop feeling like you have to respond to every fan who sees (or recognizes) needed areas of improvement. it's not personal. In fact, it's the opposite.

WE.

JUST.

LOVE.

PURDUE.

BASKETBALL.

Let it go.

Leave it alone.

PLEASE.
Sir this is precisely why I make comments bcuz a person like you trying to tell me what to do. He made an opinion comment I responded with my own comment or opinion and not just about my son either. I comment on basketball related things so allow me to do what you do talk Purdue basketball who has opinions.

Please, don't.

WE.

JUST.

LOVE.

PURDUE.

BASKETBALL.

Let it go.

Leave it alone.

PLEASE.
Treed doesn't need me to stick up for her, but if you don't like her comments don't read them. PLEASE

Please, don't.

WE.

JUST.

LOVE.

PURDUE.

BASKETBALL.

Let it go.

Leave it alone.

PLEASE.
I will agree to one thing I cannot and I will try to limit my responses to other posters opinions about my son good or bad but you sir coming on hear like you are my dad telling what to do not cool either. Put me on ignore if you like but I’m not being disrespectful I gave a response to that poster opinion bcuz I felt his opinion was not totally accurate. I’ll end it hear have a good night.

Sir this is precisely why I make comments bcuz a person like you trying to tell me what to do. He made an opinion comment I responded with my own comment or opinion and not just about my son either. I comment on basketball related things so allow me to do what you do talk Purdue basketball who has opinions.

nobody tried to tell you what to do. It was a friendly comment, a recommendation.

Have a wonderful day.

Is this good, bad or indifferent for our chances?
I like it better than LaLu because someone there doesn’t steer kids toward Purdue (IMO).

I think getting him gets harder especially if he continues to excel because the Blue Bloods will come calling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT