ADVERTISEMENT

Newman at 81 in rivals 150

Painter just isn't a recruiter. Would not be surprised at all if newman signed elsewhere. We need to fire multiple assistants and bring in some guys that can get high end talent to come here if painter/his assistants can't.
Seemed to work for UL and Slick Rick didn’t it....

Tic

Btw, Greg Gary could have gotten any number of HC jobs at this point in time...but he has kids and now a grandchild. He valued watching his daughter (who is on scholarship at Ball State for soccer) at HHS when he could and being a family man. The job requires a lot but CMP gives his assistants time to be husbands and fathers.

Seemed to work for UL and Slick Rick didn’t it....

Tic

Btw, Greg Gary could have gotten any number of HC jobs at this point in time...but he has kids and now a grandchild. He valued watching his daughter (who is on scholarship at Ball State for soccer) at HHS when he could and being a family man. The job requires a lot but CMP gives his assistants time to be husbands and fathers.
Honestly I don't know why we aren't landing top targets. I do feel at the end of the day a large part has to do with the head coach though. Painter just delivered our first 30 win season so obviously he's a capable coach. I just question his recruiting abilities.

Honestly I don't know why we aren't landing top targets. I do feel at the end of the day a large part has to do with the head coach though. Painter just delivered our first 30 win season so obviously he's a capable coach. I just question his recruiting abilities.
I'm not sure how much it is just a "we're Purdue" variable or if it's Painter. I'm tempted to say just being in a state with a media-unfriendly environment and a basketball rival with richer history and deeper fan base might play a larger role. We're also getting raided by the state to our north with uncomfortable regularity.

That said, I don't think that PU is shooting up to its weight recruiting-wise. Do you blame the AD for not giving MP resources? Does Lutz just not have the "ins" within the AAU circuit we thought he did? Is there something about Matt that just doesn't appeal to a wider range of kids as we'd want?

I think there are elements of all those factors in there, but you can debate to what extent each variable impacts the final outcome the most. I will say that if PU can't pull in at least 1 top-100 recruit this cycle, things might get dicey for Lutz going into 2020.

Last edited:
The crystal ball feature is useless. When it comes to message board info on IU basketball, there are two posters on Btownbanners that are in the know. If it doesn’t come from one of them, It’s just a guess.

Don't mean to intrude on the PU folks, but I wanted to clarify...

Are you saying a couple of posters on Btownbanners are the only reliable sources on IU basketball? Or are you saying there are only 2 (out of all the posters on Btown banners) that actually have inside info and truly know anything? The latter is far more accurate, and might make sense...

I remember when the guys left the old IU Scout board to form Btown Banners- I got a pm saying they wanted me to join as a contributor.I visited and it seemed fine- but I just never felt like it was something special. I had pretty good sources back in those days, and I assure you there are plenty of people on Peegs, the new Rivals , and the old 247 who are AAU/ IHSAA coaches, friends of players, and generally pretty well connected...

As to connections to the CURRENT IU staff, you aren't going to find anyone more tuned in than Brian Snow. That's just a result of who IU hired,and the relationship Snow has with both Archie and Sean dating back to when both Sean and Brian were at Xavier. The fact that Snow moved to Indy and joined the Peegs staff as a frequent contributor prior to IU hiring Archie is a coincidence. But it's a fortuitous development when it comes to fans having a source who is truly in the know. As much as someone who isn't ON the staff can be.

Are you saying a couple of posters on Btownbanners are the only reliable sources on IU basketball? Or are you saying there are only 2 (out of all the posters on Btown banners) that actually have inside info and truly know anything? The latter is far more accurate, and might make sense...

I remember when the guys left the old IU Scout board to form Btown Banners- I got a pm saying they wanted me to join as a contributor.I visited and it seemed fine- but I just never felt like it was something special. I had pretty good sources back in those days, and I assure you there are plenty of people on Peegs, the new Rivals , and the old 247 who are AAU/ IHSAA coaches, friends of players, and generally pretty well connected...

As to connections to the CURRENT IU staff, you aren't going to find anyone more tuned in than Brian Snow. That's just a result of who IU hired,and the relationship Snow has with both Archie and Sean dating back to when both Sean and Brian were at Xavier. The fact that Snow moved to Indy and joined the Peegs staff as a frequent contributor prior to IU hiring Archie is a coincidence. But it's a fortuitous development when it comes to fans having a source who is truly in the know. As much as someone who isn't ON the staff can be.
Thanks for the clarification. However it is farm ore than I ever wanted to know about this subject.

Reactions: Schnelk
Is Painter Still our coach ? Then yes we waited tooooooooooooo long
What an ignorant statement. What do you want him to do? Offer everyone on the planet? Painter is often in early on guys and isn't going to take the advice of who he should and shouldn't go after by 'experts' on a forum.

Get a clue.
Yeah Painter just coaches Purdue to their first 30 win season but he doesn’t have a damn clue how to recruit? Who recruited Biggie? Who recruited CE? What a dumbass thing to say!

Yeah Painter just coaches Purdue to their first 30 win season but he doesn’t have a damn clue how to recruit?
the world you are looking for is coached.

If you are gonna come after the king - you better come strong “dumb@$$”

I was implying the latter. There are two guys I’ve seen that give consistently reliable information. I also used to be on TSS but followed the group that split off to start the first HSN.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Who the hell is green? Didn't he transfer a couple of years ago?

Thanks for the clarification. However it is farm ore than I ever wanted to know about this subject.

Well to actually "clarify" my intent with my post to Big Red-

When I said "clarify" I meant have him clarify to me what he meant, not vice versa...

I should have apologized more to PU fans,because I wrote it as a response/question to him,and not something I thought PU fans had any interest in. I should have sent him a pm instead of posting but wasn't thinking.Again apologize for the intrusion...

The guy that went 0-1 against in a$$hall and had like 3-4 fouls trying to guard CE. I guess he can possibly guard him this year???

Hopefully Romeo or phinessee will attempt to guard ce. Both will foul out in less than five minutes. Just like Davis trying to guard haas and biggie. Joke.

The guy that went 0-1 against in a$$hall and had like 3-4 fouls trying to guard CE. I guess he can possibly guard him this year???

Devonte played only 4 min against Purdue because Archie was pissed at him and pulled him for the rest of the game. He had no fouls, by the way. But I agree, he would likely be the one to guard Carsen, and he can play some gritty D if he decides to give effort. Consistent effort has always been his problem. McRoberts is also a good defender, but may be matched up with someone else based on position.

Devonte played only 4 min against Purdue because Archie was pissed at him and pulled him for the rest of the game. He had no fouls, by the way. But I agree, he would likely be the one to guard Carsen, and he can play some gritty D if he decides to give effort. Consistent effort has always been his problem. McRoberts is also a good defender, but may be matched up with someone else based on position.
Who the hell is Devonte?

Reactions: Poprudy
Feel like I read somewhere that he is back in for another unofficial this weekend.

Newman played at the Super Hoops Shootout in Marion today (Sat). Rabjohns interviewed him and he discussed his IU visit and recruiting in general.

It doesn't sound like he's really into decision- making mode yet, said he wasn't planning to make any cuts to his list in the near future. Did say that he had tried to get to OSU and couldn't do so before the July eval period, and that he was interested in making a trip to include both OSU and Xavier sometime in Aug. If anyone has a Prem 247 membership they might be able to access this link

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Video-interview-4-star-guard-Brandon-Newman-119484718/

https://247sports.com/college/india...erview-4-star-guard-Brandon-Newman-119484718/

Reactions: BRBoiler

Neither Devonte Green or Mcroberts have any shot whatsoever of guarding Carsen Edwards with success. Carsen would eat them alive within minutes.

If I remember right, Haas scored 24 pts against them the year before and was virtually unstoppable. I know it was a home game, but they had no answer for Mr Haas!

Reactions: hoosierdog1
That is why Mcfly kept trying to hit haas in the balls. What was other player that kept hitting people in the junk, Dumas. He got suspended I think three times for doing it. Then there is their assistant elston that kept intentionally tripping people . Fife loved to slam the ball in players faces. He also liked to bite . Iu players are a strange bunch

Reactions: Schnelk
Iu has no one to guard CE

Who does PU have to guard Morgan? He scored 24 last year and Justin Smith added 5. CE scored 10, but the next leading PU scorer returning is Haarms with 4. Combine that with Eastern's 2 pts, and you have the total (16) pts PU has returning in the IU/PU matchup. Who did Rob Johnson score his 21 pts against?

Admittedly neither Green nor Cline scored, and both only took a single shot attempt. But Green played 4 mins and Cline played 18. I think PU is going to miss the 4 starters lost a lot more than folks on this board are willing to admit. But that's just an opinion and I could be wrong about the fact that PU lacks scoring options and will be counting on players to assume roles that may be beyond their pay grade.

Did you go back and watch 40 minutes of game film to find a play where Morgan got blocked?

I've watched this game, along with many other Purdue basketball games, somewhere between 7-10 times. I have a very real obsession with both B1G Basketball and Purdue basketball.

As soon as I read his post asking who would guard Morgan, it reminded me of how HAARMS was successful against him.

Who does PU have to guard Morgan? He scored 24 last year and Justin Smith added 5. CE scored 10, but the next leading PU scorer returning is Haarms with 4. Combine that with Eastern's 2 pts, and you have the total (16) pts PU has returning in the IU/PU matchup. Who did Rob Johnson score his 21 pts against?

Admittedly neither Green nor Cline scored, and both only took a single shot attempt. But Green played 4 mins and Cline played 18. I think PU is going to miss the 4 starters lost a lot more than folks on this board are willing to admit. But that's just an opinion and I could be wrong about the fact that PU lacks scoring options and will be counting on players to assume roles that may be beyond their pay grade.
How many points does IU have returning from that game?

I've watched this game, along with many other Purdue basketball games, somewhere between 7-10 times. I have a very real obsession with both B1G Basketball and Purdue basketball.

As soon as I read his post asking who would guard Morgan, it reminded me of how HAARMS was successful against him.
7-10 times??? That's borderline unhealthy.

I assure Purdue has more players that can score the basket than you think they just didn’t get the min to play they will now 5 months you will see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT