ADVERTISEMENT

New transfer added

KidsDoc

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2001
On Purduesports.com they announced the team has added a guard transferring from Arkansas who will have 2 years to play. Was a four star from ING academy a couple of years ago and I thought it said she would be eligible immediately

5'9" guard Rokia Doumbia from Ark comes in as a junior with two years remaining. Appears the 4 star can play right away. Versyp now has 16 listed players which will have to change due to numbers, but depth will not be a problem at all it appears. Stallings is prob not on scholarship so must be 15.

5'9" guard Rokia Doumbia from Ark comes in as a junior with two years remaining. Appears the 4 star can play right away. Versyp now has 16 listed players which will have to change due to numbers, but depth will not be a problem at all it appears. Stallings is prob not on scholarship so must be 15.

13 players listed on Athletic Dept web site, plus three recruits for 2020 = 16, but Stallings has not been on scholarship since entering Purdue, so at the limit of 15. Moore and Doumbia are transfers who will have to sit out unless NCAA changes the transfer rule, which looks doubtful at this point in time, given the pushback from multiple MBB coaches. They will be counted as scholarships even if they do not play in 2020 so the roster is at 17 scholarship players. Something has to give!

13 players listed on Athletic Dept web site, plus three recruits for 2020 = 16, but Stallings has not been on scholarship since entering Purdue, so at the limit of 15. Moore and Doumbia are transfers who will have to sit out unless NCAA changes the transfer rule, which looks doubtful at this point in time, given the pushback from multiple MBB coaches. They will be counted as scholarships even if they do not play in 2020 so the roster is at 17 scholarship players. Something has to give!

Rechecking my notes, Smith is a 2021 recruit which reduces the roster size to 16 for 2020, if Doumbia and Moore are included.

I believe Leony Boudreau has retired from playing, guessing that she's no longer on a basketball scholarship, probably an academic one.

Then the openings would be there depending on what the transfer decision it. It sure used to be a lot simpler like a lot of things these days.

I believe Leony Boudreau has retired from playing, guessing that she's no longer on a basketball scholarship, probably an academic one.

Is that Leony's choice or the coaches? Are you certain that she is now on an academic scholarship. She is not only an out of state student, but she is an out of country student.

So do we have any idea what SV's rotation is going to look like this upcoming season? Who will be the starters? I think the 2 freshmen, Kyle and Layden, start this coming season along with Woltman, McLaughlin and Traylor. But what about the rest of the 9-11 person rotation? Mokolo, Whilby, Diagne, Gony, Grant, Hardin, Harmon? Do any of the new transfers figure into the rotation? Is this a competitive team? Have they lost too much in the graduations of Harris and Oden to be a challenger for the B1G? Or will there be lots of growing pains? Other than the 2 freshmen who imho will see lots of minutes, this should be an experienced, veteran team.

I think Farquhar starts if she's healthy. Is she not expected to be ready by the beginning of the season?

I'm hoping Layden is good enough to start right away but the doesn't seem to happen much for freshmen under Versyp.

Reactions: DocRon
I think Farquhar starts if she's healthy. Is she not expected to be ready by the beginning of the season?

I'm hoping Layden is good enough to start right away but the doesn't seem to happen much for freshmen under Versyp.
My understanding is that Farquhar may not be ready.. it was a pretty significant injury but she's probably a starter in place of Layden imho if she is healthy

Depends a lot on how good Layden looks in early scrimmages and practices.. but she was arguably the best player in Indiana HS last year.. but you're right I said the same thing about Woltman last year and she didn't play much as a freshman.

Is that Leony's choice or the coaches? Are you certain that she is now on an academic scholarship. She is not only an out of state student, but she is an out of country student.
Not certain, I do believe it has been announced she's done as a player, she very well still could have a hoops scholarship, I was just pointing out a scenario where maybe she has another option. If she is still on a scholarship for basketball there's probably a scenario where another player is leaving, a few girls didn't play many minutes last year, wouldn't be a shock to see 1 leave.

Last edited:
Not certain, I do believe it has been announced she's done as a player, she very well still could have a hoops scholarship, I was just pointing out a scenario where maybe she has another option. If she is still on a scholarship for basketball there's probably a scenario where another player is leaving, a few girls didn't play many minutes last year, wouldn't be a shock to see 1 leave.

Found this note Leony's roster profile and there is a note that she has retired after missing two seasons because of injury.

• After playing one game in 2018-19, has missed two seasons due to injury
• Retired from playing after the 2019-20 campaign

Like Jay Simpson or Nora Kiesler, who both had their basketball careers cut short by injury, Leony will have moved from an athletic scholarship to an academic scholarship and will not be counted as an active team roster member for the 2020-21 season.

Found this note Leony's roster profile and there is a note that she has retired after missing two seasons because of injury.

• After playing one game in 2018-19, has missed two seasons due to injury
• Retired from playing after the 2019-20 campaign

Like Jay Simpson or Nora Kiesler, who both had their basketball careers cut short by injury, Leony will have moved from an athletic scholarship to an academic scholarship and will not be counted as an active team roster member for the 2020-21 season.
Thanks, I guessed correct, first time for everything I suppose! Thanks for the find.

In this case for sure she qualifies for an academic scholarship as she is an extremely bright young lady and could received an academic scholarship on her own most anywhere. I wish her the very besy.

ADVERTISEMENT