ADVERTISEMENT

New PWO: Hudson Miller

This has nothing to do with this PWO, but I have a question.

In the last 2 to 3 years, we seems to giving out more PWOs. I realize that not all of these PWO lead to scholarships. However, many do. Shouldn't we be saving as many open spots to try to sign the high 3 or 4 star high school recruits or the biggest names in the transfer portal each year?

In the last 2 to 3 years, we seems to giving out more PWOs. I realize that not all of these PWO lead to scholarships. However, many do. Shouldn't we be saving as many open spots to try to sign the high 3 or 4 star high school recruits or the biggest names in the transfer portal each year?
I would say less than you think do. If they walk-on and become a 2 deeps player, they deserve a scholarship

You could go with the theory a kid working hard to get PT is worth one who is leaving someplace else because they don't have PT, natural talent not withstanding.

Reactions: krf3632

No I’d rather keep guys like AOC and Horvath from going elsewhere.

with our track record of developing walk ons I don’t see how brohm doesn’t know what he is doing. If he’s losing a scholly it’s probably not 4 stars that we are slighting…

with our track record of developing walk ons I don’t see how brohm doesn’t know what he is doing. If he’s losing a scholly it’s probably not 4 stars that we are slighting…
Yeah… my question would be, who did we waste a scholarship on?

Reactions: Zaphod_B

Why wouldn’t you commit to as a coach to a kid that’s been in the program 2-3 years

Most schools see so many transfers and flunk outs that having a good PWO to fill that gap is a godsend even if he takes a schollie for two years

Reactions: purduepat1969

Nebraska and Wisconsin built thriving walk on programs that bolstered their rosters when scholarship players flamed out.

I think we would all like to see a lot more 4 star players. But that's likely not gonna happen at Purdue. And why not reward kids who make a difference for the team. I doubt we're losing out on anyone due to this...

Nebraska and Wisconsin built thriving walk on programs that bolstered their rosters when scholarship players flamed out.

Was Callahan the one that ended Nebraskas massive walk on program that provided them with an endless supply of big farm boys for the lines? I think that’s when their downturn started.

Was Callahan the one that ended Nebraskas massive walk on program that provided them with an endless supply of big farm boys for the lines? I think that’s when their downturn started.
In fairness, he is one of the best line coaches in the history of football. If he thought they werent good enough to compete, i get it.

I would rather use a PWO to an athlete that looks good but your not sure if they will pan out at this level. If they develop and you have a scholarship available then they deserve it. Finding players like O'Connell, Horvath, Hardwick and others we will be further ahead. As far as wasting a scholarship, all programs have individuals that looked good in high school but do not pan out in college. Just like NFl teams draft players that do not pan out and some undrafted free agent becomes All Pro.

Remember this for saving those open spots...

(1) In football Rivals only rank this kid as a 2 star RB in 2020

(2) Same 2 star kid - It was 1933 the last time a kid on the boy high school track team won a state championship at his school until 2021. He also was Sectional and Regional track champ in 2021.
(No Track Offers)

(3) Same 2 star kid finish rank 6th in state of Indiana in rushing of 2020 in 8 games they played as a RB.

(4) Same 2 star kid made Indiana Football Coaches Association 2020 Top 50 All-State Team as a Running Back.

(5) Same 2 star kid was ranks No. 1 nationally leading in rushing yards in 2020 at one point during his football season .

(6) Same 2 star kid who had 28 rushes, 419 yds, 5 TD's in one game for his school record and over 1,000 yards and 14 TD's in 4 games into his football season in 2020.

(7) Same 2 star kid was selected and participate in Blue-Grey All American Bowl in 2020 .

(8) Same 2 star kid was a Navy commit on a full ride scholarship in 2020.

Remember this is the same kid that now a PWO at PURDUE...Just Sayin!

Last edited:

(2) Same 2 star kid - It was 1933 the last time a kid on the boy high school track team won a state championship at his school until 2021. He also was Sectional and Regional track champ in 2021.
(No Track Offers)

(3) Same 2 star kid finish rank 6th in state of Indiana in rushing of 2020 in 8 games they played as a RB.

(4) Same 2 star kid made Indiana Football Coaches Association 2020 Top 50 All-State Team as a Running Back.

(5) Same 2 star kid was ranks No. 1 nationally leading in rushing yards in 2020 at one point during his football season .

(6) Same 2 star kid who had 28 rushes, 419 yds, 5 TD's in one game for his school record and over 1,000 yards and 14 TD's in 4 games into his football season in 2020.

(7) Same 2 star kid was selected and participate in Blue-Grey All American Bowl in 2020 .

I think your nephew was held in much higher regard coming in than just your average PWO. I heard his story, looked at our backfields future outlook and was like “yeah he will be dressed for games by 2022.” He won’t be shocking the world in my book. He will be doing what he’s supposed to.

and maybe id have thought more of Horvath and Oconnell if their story was out there like your nephews. But for most PWOs you never hear from them, just reality.

NOW, what I will tell you is what most people here don’t know. A rivals guy came on KC and explained what the star system is actually rating. He said they couldn’t pretend to rate who is going to be good. Guys are late bloomers, different attitudes and work ethics etc. your nephew I believe was accepted to a service academy so I’m imagining his attitude and work ethic are great.

the star system actually only rates how likely it is that a player will contribute early. So in that sense, your nephew getting two stars and George karlaftis being a 5 star is accurate no? Doesn’t mean Aidan Oconnell can’t become a four star performer, but based on rivals actual criteria he’s a 1 star. They’re only rating play early

I think your nephew was held in much higher regard coming in than just your average PWO. I heard his story, looked at our backfields future outlook and was like “yeah he will be dressed for games by 2022.” He won’t be shocking the world in my book. He will be doing what he’s supposed to.

and maybe id have thought more of Horvath and Oconnell if their story was out there like your nephews. But for most PWOs you never hear from them, just reality.

NOW, what I will tell you is what most people here don’t know. A rivals guy came on KC and explained what the star system is actually rating. He said they couldn’t pretend to rate who is going to be good. Guys are late bloomers, different attitudes and work ethics etc. your nephew I believe was accepted to a service academy so I’m imagining his attitude and work ethic are great.

the star system actually only rates how likely it is that a player will contribute early. So in that sense, your nephew getting two stars and George karlaftis being a 5 star is accurate no? Doesn’t mean Aidan Oconnell can’t become a four star performer, but based on rivals actual criteria he’s a 1 star. They’re only rating play early
I know one thing for sure I respect all PWO for what they go through while at school. They're not bad players but just need a small opportunity to prove and be seen.

As for my nephew I believe God has a plan for him. Because Covid-19 year hurt his chances of getting seen at many team camps. But god did bless him with an opportunity to play football at his dream school. God laid the foundation to allow Devin to build his type road to succeed.

Last edited:

(No Track Offers)

I and many others see big things happening for MockDogg in 2022!!! Too big and to gifted for it to not happen....

Reactions: ICyAMockDawgg
ADVERTISEMENT