ADVERTISEMENT

New Fan-need help

Jan 20, 2011
I'm a new fan of the Boilermakers. I've been a diehard Michigan fan since I was 6-8 years old can't recall for sure and am in my early 40's now. I decided with my sons to take on a second favorite school to follow closely and get to know inside and out. Obviously this past BB season was awesome for us as Michigan and Purdue were very good and very fun to watch. Very excited for the coming year to watch the two football teams both of which have a lot of question marks but have a lot going for them. ( Love the Jeff Brohm hire). Difference maker IMO. Off to a great start recruiting this year.

Where I need help- For the coming Football season I'm having a hard time understanding and evaluating the roster. While I think the QB position is in good hands, I don't know who could or is pushing Blough. I think the RB position has a couple of really solid kids but don't know for sure. I like some of the defensive JC guys that have come aboard.

Could someone or a couple people here please respond and give us a brief outline of a 2-3 deep if it exists at all positions? Maybe a handful of young holdovers that had nice springs?? Kids to watch for that maybe are ready to take the next step under Brohm and staff. I would really appreciate it.

I will have no problem going forward with last Brohm's first inherited class he filled out and this coming as I follow recruiting closely but where things stand today with personel I'm very lost.

Hope this makes sense and is easy to do.

Reason Purdue- I live in Grand haven MI. For some reason I've noticed a lot of Purdue alumni in our area. Not at all sure why. I love the proximity. Plan on going to UM-Purdue game this year can't wait. Never been to WL. Love how affordable the tuition is and it's a great school.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
Blough is tops at QB. Looking forward to seeing any of our QB's under a competent administration. I think Sindelar is 2nd in most people's minds however I remember Banks surprising people on this board.

RB is pretty competitive. Jones, Lankford but you could see 5 guys out of the group on the field at any given time with Worship being more the bruising fullback type.

If you're looking for intrigue and unknowns then the WRs are for you. I'm not sure anyone knows what to expect yet.

At TE you'll see Herdman and Hopkins, and not sure who else is expected to catch. We have good size at the position though.

Reactions: ghbucs
Way too early and way too many unknowns for a 2 deep. Some of the JUCO WRs arent even on campus.

This team will go as the two lines go. First team DL could be serviceable, but there is no depth. OL... yikes.

Reactions: Boiler13 and ghbucs
As a Michigan fan, be prepared for an adjustment of what constitutes holding and pass interference calls. Refs are indoctrinated not to give Purdue the benefit of the doubt against helmet schools. Also, "having time in the pocket" will take on a whole new meaning - like 3 seconds. You will wonder why the running backs aren't finding the hole. Then you will realize there is no discernible hole. You will question whether the previous coach recruited any offensive lineman. Help is coming, but unlike the dudes UM can recruit, it will take the new guys a few years to develop into B1G ready condition.

Welcome aboard and hang on tight this year. Focus less on the results and instead get familiar with our traditions and culture. Look for development of the younger guys. Maybe catch a night game and drink a beer in the stadium- that's a big deal for us this year!

Reactions: Boiler13 and ghbucs
As a Michigan fan, be prepared for an adjustment of what constitutes holding and pass interference calls. Refs are indoctrinated not to give Purdue the benefit of the doubt against helmet schools. Also, "having time in the pocket" will take on a whole new meaning - like 3 seconds. You will wonder why the running backs aren't finding the hole. Then you will realize there is no discernible hole. You will question whether the previous coach recruited any offensive lineman. Help is coming, but unlike the dudes UM can recruit, it will take the new guys a few years to develop into B1G ready condition.

Welcome aboard and hang on tight this year. Focus less on the results and instead get familiar with our traditions and culture. Look for development of the younger guys. Maybe catch a night game and drink a beer in the stadium- that's a big deal for us this year!
Thanks a lot to you all! Can't wait to visit for a game this year. Very thankful for the two free boards. Really helped in becoming a fan. Any more insight is appreciated. My favorite all time Boilermakers- Mike Allstot. Everybody loves that guy. The quintessential Football player in the same mold as Chris Speilman,Butkus,and others. Also always really liked Cliff Avril. As a Lions fan I thought he was a great draft value and a really good player that should of been resigned no matter what. Of course Drew Bree's is a hall of famer and has been one of my favorite fantasy QB's ever.

I'm a new fan of the Boilermakers. I've been a diehard Michigan fan since I was 6-8 years old can't recall for sure and am in my early 40's now. I decided with my sons to take on a second favorite school to follow closely and get to know inside and out. Obviously this past BB season was awesome for us as Michigan and Purdue were very good and very fun to watch. Very excited for the coming year to watch the two football teams both of which have a lot of question marks but have a lot going for them. ( Love the Jeff Brohm hire). Difference maker IMO. Off to a great start recruiting this year.

Where I need help- For the coming Football season I'm having a hard time understanding and evaluating the roster. While I think the QB position is in good hands, I don't know who could or is pushing Blough. I think the RB position has a couple of really solid kids but don't know for sure. I like some of the defensive JC guys that have come aboard.

Could someone or a couple people here please respond and give us a brief outline of a 2-3 deep if it exists at all positions? Maybe a handful of young holdovers that had nice springs?? Kids to watch for that maybe are ready to take the next step under Brohm and staff. I would really appreciate it.

I will have no problem going forward with last Brohm's first inherited class he filled out and this coming as I follow recruiting closely but where things stand today with personel I'm very lost.

Hope this makes sense and is easy to do.

Reason Purdue- I live in Grand haven MI. For some reason I've noticed a lot of Purdue alumni in our area. Not at all sure why. I love the proximity. Plan on going to UM-Purdue game this year can't wait. Never been to WL. Love how affordable the tuition is and it's a great school.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Over the next two weeks Stacy is going to have a position by position report (offense this week, defense next) starting with the QB's later today. Might be a good place to start.

Way too early and way too many unknowns for a 2 deep. Some of the JUCO WRs arent even on campus.

This team will go as the two lines go. First team DL could be serviceable, but there is no depth. OL... yikes.
Nat100, I totally agree!!!
Remember the 1997 bait and switch that Tiller had for that season???!
Tiller took 1996 QB John Reeves to the Big Ten Media Day that year.... I had spoken with Billy earlier in the week and he said that Tiller had a big surprise for everyone and he was grinning from ear to ear!!!!
DB Billy Dicken Started and played the entire season and the is history for that 1997 AP #15 Purdue Team.
Maybe not at QB...But I would bet that CJB has some changes that might be very interesting.....

Over the next two weeks Stacy is going to have a position by position report (offense this week, defense next) starting with the QB's later today. Might be a good place to start.
On here? Or for paying costomers only??

Rookie Boiler fan from Michigan...welcome aboard! Some of us on here are not as voluminous or as pessimistic as others. Not that the pessimism is unfounded, it is totally warranted, but I do not think we are as naked as many think...on the lines or across the board, except for the receivers. They are a total unknown at this point. With the grad transfers and the jucos, we have a chance to put a competitive product on the field. No, not much depth, but the freshmen are mysteries until they step on the practice field. I see Jeff Brohm, and the staff he has assembled, as the second coming of Tiller in 1997. No, its not apples to apples as then in every way, however, I believe that Brohm will make the best of this team, and pull out some exciting surprises. At the least, this team should be fun to watch. I will not predict wins/losses, but we will be competitive. You're on the ground floor of a rising team. Great time to invest...the stock is down!

ADVERTISEMENT