ADVERTISEMENT

New committed player!

This was why I didn't like using scholarships on kickers and punters as good teams will always find good ones willing to walk on . There was one year we used 3 scholarships for kickers/punters.

This was why I didn't like using scholarships on kickers and punters as good teams will always find good ones willing to walk on .

First of all, we were a bad team until very recently. So by your logic we would have had trouble finding someone to walk on.

Secondly, I don't agree with your premise. Why skimp on kickers? You may be able to find a decent one that would walk on, but why not get the best? Nothing's worse than losing games because of kicking mistakes.

I didn't say skimp. What I inferred was that many of the best kickers are walk ones for their respective schools, so why should Purdue not follow that same path?

I remember several years ago Purdue signed an outstanding kicker to a scholarship. He indicated his other choice was to be a walk on at Arkansas. He later quit before taking a class but that's another story. The point was he was an outstanding kicker and he would have walked on to most schools yet we gave him a scholarship.

Didn't Purdue several years ago also have a walk on kicker or punter who was actually better than the player on scholarship?

I realize its important to have depth in your kicking game and Purdue usually has 3-4 kickers on their team who are walkon in case of injury, etc.

However, I'm not convinced that our kickers on scholarship are significantly better than the ones who are walk ones.

I'm convinced this player is great and has a lot of talent. But in saying so, he may be better than the one we have on scholarship and are currently redshirting. And that's my biggest beef. We have a backup kicker redshirting on scholarship. How many other schools give their backup kicker a scholarship? Especially when a walkon may be better or at least just as good? And our current backup is not redshirting because of an injury.

First of all, we were a bad team until very recently. So by your logic we would have had trouble finding someone to walk on.

Secondly, I don't agree with your premise. Why skimp on kickers? You may be able to find a decent one that would walk on, but why not get the best? Nothing's worse than losing games because of kicking mistakes.
What is a guy who can put it deep in the end zone on every single kickoff worth?

This was why I didn't like using scholarships on kickers and punters as good teams will always find good ones willing to walk on . There was one year we used 3 scholarships for kickers/punters.

I'm not an advocate of "going cheap" with the one position that can win you games as time expires... that can "flip the field" at a time you need it most... that can take away the impact of an electric kick returner, forcing the opposition to drive the length of the field with little time on the clock.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT