ADVERTISEMENT

Never any Doubt….

Yeah, I thought Burton did an OK job in his first start. It was also nice to see the run game make a serious contribution. I just don't know what to say about the defense. It isn't terrible. But, there's no real pass rush. At least they closed the deal tonight.

Yeah, I thought Burton did an OK job in his first start. It was also nice to see the run game make a serious contribution. I just don't know what to say about the defense. It isn't terrible. But, there's no real pass rush. At least they closed the deal tonight.
There is no pass rush. Yes we may get a guy close to the QB, but we leave wide open running lanes most of the time.

The ONE defense that I really liked was the last one. Bunch the center vs QB sneak. Has Hagan’s fingerprints all over it.

Reactions: rgarlitz
But, the defense largely IS terrible...personnel is bad...so is scheme.

Brohm was not great again tonight, including going to Alaimo simply because a quarter had ended...to your point, Burton generally did his job (save a bad interception late).

Here is the issue with the run game...and, it has been an issue for the majority of Brohm's time...short-yardage situations, they simply can't convert. On the whole, they were effective running the ball tonight, but, they absolutely should have been given the competition...and, again, when they needed a yard, they could not get it...against FAU!

The lack of ANY pass rush is incredible...

I am amazed that Purdue continues to be as bad as it is on that side of the ball...that Purdue can't find a competent DC is just crazy to me. I like Hagen a lot, but, he and English are not getting it done...at all unfortunately.

I am savoring it.This was likely a season saving win.
Save a really bad defensive holding call early, and, a missed blatant offensive one on FAU immediately after on the same drive...the stripes really aided Purdue's cause tonight...something that has virtually never been the case...what is sad is that Purdue needed it in order to win.

But, the defense largely IS terrible...personnel is bad...so is scheme.

Brohm was not great again tonight, including going to Alaimo simply because a quarter had ended...to your point, Burton generally did his job (save a bad interception late).

Here is the issue with the run game...and, it has been an issue for the majority of Brohm's time...short-yardage situations, they simply can't convert. On the whole, they were effective running the ball tonight, but, they absolutely should have been given the competition...and, again, when they needed a yard, they could not get it...against FAU!

The lack of ANY pass rush is incredible...

I am amazed that Purdue continues to be as bad as it is on that side of the ball...that Purdue can't find a competent DC is just crazy to me. I like Hagen a lot, but, he and English are not getting it done...at all unfortunately.
Absolutely, we have to consider last night's competition. Purdue wasn't able to physically dominate a mid-major opponent, again. The defense brought little pressure and the secondary got beat way to often in one-on-one situations. I've never had a lot of confidence in Ron English. He was bad at both Michigan and EMU.

Dumb penalties (4 on one drive)
Questionable play calling (on the 2pt conversion)
Odd clock management (taking their time on the last drive)
And All By FAU….
Nice to play a more Purdue-y team than us for once!

Reactions: NashvilleBoiler
That phrase of us being the Den of DEs needs to stop for a while. Let’s be honest, except for Karlaftis, we have had little else since Kerrigan graduated.
I know Caraway is playing a little, but am I just missing seeing Strickland out there or is he hurt? Our secondary gets burned a lot, but could be helped out tremendously by a pass rush from time to time. Also, a blitz could help.
I think we could use some of those DL recruits from next year right now.

Reactions: purduepat1969
That phrase of us being the Den of DEs needs to stop for a while. Let’s be honest, except for Karlaftis, we have had little else since Kerrigan graduated.
I know Caraway is playing a little, but am I just missing seeing Strickland out there or is he hurt? Our secondary gets burned a lot, but could be helped out tremendously by a pass rush from time to time. Also, a blitz could help.
I think we could use some of those DL recruits from next year right now.
Cam Allen had a bad night save the INT

Strickland had mono per another poster.

I like our DLs, but we're getting nothing from our DEs in the form of a pass rush.

Yes we desperately need a pass rush but there is still time this year for one to emerge.The running game has gotten better so a pass rush,or some effective biltzes,may still be seen.Boiler up!

Save a really bad defensive holding call early, and, a missed blatant offensive one on FAU immediately after on the same drive...the stripes really aided Purdue's cause tonight...something that has virtually never been the case...what is sad is that Purdue needed it in order to win.
FAU should have won this game at 21-20 there was an obvious pass interference by purdue and the next play the FAU touchdown was called back but that was not a cut block.

Last edited:
FAU should have won this game at 21-20 there was an obvious pass interference by purdue and the next play the FAU touchdown was called back but that was not a cut block.
Absolutely agree...they were flat out the better team...and, had the better coach/staff last night as well.

Purdue stole one, almost literally...not AS bad as what happened to them last week in Syracuse, but, darn close.

Don't forget the "pass" that was a fumble recovered for a touchdown either...they could (should) have won by more.

I am glad that Purdue won rather than lost, as, it would have been the low of the Brohm era and last night was VERY reminiscent of some football before he arrived...too reminiscent for that matter...but, just being honest with oneself, Purdue did not deserve to win that game, and, again...they were not the better team, or, collective staff.

Last edited:
Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Absolutely, we have to consider last night's competition. Purdue wasn't able to physically dominate a mid-major opponent, again. The defense brought little pressure and the secondary got beat way to often in one-on-one situations. I've never had a lot of confidence in Ron English. He was bad at both Michigan and EMU.
Well, he can add Purdue to the list of places he was bad as well, as, he is definitely bad.

Yet ANOTHER case where Purdue is just biding time in that they don't have the right guy(s) on that side of the ball, as, Brohm just can't figure it out unfortunately...after what I saw last night...on the field AND on the sidelines...I get that Brohm is better than some of the clowns that have walked that same sideline, but, he looks way more Hope-esque the longer he is down there than I ever could have dreamed.

Given the media issues...the refusal to give up calling plays (and, calling some complete garbage ones at that)...the inability to either recruit or develop an OL...and, utter ignorance with respect to anything happening on the other side of the ball (including who is running things), I admittedly am at a point where I no longer will lose sleep over the prospect of his going home...sure, Purdue can do worse (and has...and, probably for that matter will), but, 6 years in and seeing what we still are, and, most importantly...just did...not good.

Disagree on the point made about scheme being the problem. They've tried everything and it has all backfired in various ways. You can scheme around 1 or 2 weak spots. When your entire LB corps is slow and athletic, when your edge rushers can't get home, when you are having to load the box to stop the run, you are going to be exploitable somewhere, it's just a matter of where and how.

Brohm alluded to this in more general terms in today's press conference. Basically they are going to have to pick their poison with a team like Minnesota, either give up 3-6 yards on the ground consistently or try to stop that with 8 in the box and give up some deep passes. What you see as failures in scheme are generally calculate risks.

Now, as to not playing prevent mode with <20 seconds left and up by 4... I'll give you that one

Disagree on the point made about scheme being the problem. They've tried everything and it has all backfired in various ways. You can scheme around 1 or 2 weak spots. When your entire LB corps is slow and athletic, when your edge rushers can't get home, when you are having to load the box to stop the run, you are going to be exploitable somewhere, it's just a matter of where and how.

Brohm alluded to this in more general terms in today's press conference. Basically they are going to have to pick their poison with a team like Minnesota, either give up 3-6 yards on the ground consistently or try to stop that with 8 in the box and give up some deep passes. What you see as failures in scheme are generally calculate risks.

Now, as to not playing prevent mode with <20 seconds left and up by 4... I'll give you that one
The final point is one that can't be argued...flat inexcusable.

They barely blitz, despite no ability at all to generate a pass rush.

And, you are probably right...too many personnel issues even for scheme to fix that problem...the LB problem is glaring, and definitely more so absent Graham (who himself is not eve a LB). Unless Yanni is the worst football player ever (and, I admittedly have a REALLY difficult time believing that...especially with some guys that have found their way to the field already), I can't for the life of me understand how he does not get out there...at all.

I won't lie...disappointing to have the personnel issues that they do at SO many places.

I don't even know if it really is a case of "pick your poison"...as, it is not as if they have just shut down opponents running games, and, anyone that has a remotely mobile/athletic QB has hurt them regardless, and, they have such issues against the pass that I don't even think it is an option to try to somehow take that away...as I just don't think they can...no pass rush...slow LBs...bad safeties...marginal corners...add all of that up, and, I am not sure that there is a way for them to stop the pass against anybody that has any semblance of a passing game.

Even the INT was a bad play if you look at Allen’s coverage…really bad pass to no receiver
He is a significant liability on the back end...out of position regularly, lost in coverage, and, multiple missed tackles.

The final point is one that can't be argued...flat inexcusable.

They barely blitz, despite no ability at all to generate a pass rush.

And, you are probably right...too many personnel issues even for scheme to fix that problem...the LB problem is glaring, and definitely more so absent Graham (who himself is not eve a LB). Unless Yanni is the worst football player ever (and, I admittedly have a REALLY difficult time believing that...especially with some guys that have found their way to the field already), I can't for the life of me understand how he does not get out there...at all.

I won't lie...disappointing to have the personnel issues that they do at SO many places.

I don't even know if it really is a case of "pick your poison"...as, it is not as if they have just shut down opponents running games, and, anyone that has a remotely mobile/athletic QB has hurt them regardless, and, they have such issues against the pass that I don't even think it is an option to try to somehow take that away...as I just don't think they can...no pass rush...slow LBs...bad safeties...marginal corners...add all of that up, and, I am not sure that there is a way for them to stop the pass against anybody that has any semblance of a passing game.
besides Yanni, thought Kreul would see some action. In the portal, Junior Walling is there from Oregon St. Had interest in him 2020, physical defensive team when we play them

Last edited:
Reactions: DAG10
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT