ADVERTISEMENT

Nevada Depth Chart Posted

A quick glance shows that they have significant experience at running back, and also at cornerback. Besides that, there's a lot of position changing, transfers, and former walk-ons.

Reactions: ejs1111
A quick glance shows that they have significant experience at running back, and also at cornerback. Besides that, there's a lot of position changing, transfers, and former walk-ons.

Running backs? Definitely. Corners? Respectfully disagree. They've got more returning experience than the safeties, but so does every other unit on the team.

Right now, pass defense is concern number one for me, followed by D-line play, QB play and O-line play. Last year's O-line had a similar build to this year's group, but ended up being good at run-blocking and excellent in pass protection. I'm a big fan of Angus McClure, our O-line coach, so while a regression is always possible, prior history gives me reason to be optimistic for that phase.

Running backs? Definitely. Corners? Respectfully disagree. They've got more returning experience than the safeties, but so does every other unit on the team.

Right now, pass defense is concern number one for me, followed by D-line play, QB play and O-line play. Last year's O-line had a similar build to this year's group, but ended up being good at run-blocking and excellent in pass protection. I'm a big fan of Angus McClure, our O-line coach, so while a regression is always possible, prior history gives me reason to be optimistic for that phase.

Reading about your O-Line gives me some chills. Luckily for you, Purdue doesn't have a ton of talent on the D-line so it has a decent chance to hold up tomorrow.

The inexperience in the DBs may be an issue against our passing attack, especially with our talented TE Brycen Hopkins likely doing a lot of routes in the middle of the field.

Reading about your O-Line gives me some chills. Luckily for you, Purdue doesn't have a ton of talent on the D-line so it has a decent chance to hold up tomorrow.

The inexperience in the DBs may be an issue against our passing attack, especially with our talented TE Brycen Hopkins likely doing a lot of routes in the middle of the field.

Not a ton of talent on the D-line?? We have a 5 star freshmen and alot of depth with talent. Not sure I'm following you on this one...

Not a ton of talent on the D-line?? We have a 5 star freshmen and alot of depth with talent. Not sure I'm following you on this one...

Our best D-linemen is out. GK will be playing his first college snaps. Maybe talent was the wrong word. We have a lot of depth, sure. Is any of it good? I think so, but without Neal there aren't many, if any, difference makers at this point.

I think, at least for this game, the DL is not going to necessarily be a strength but it won't be a terrible weakness against this opponent. Probably somewhere between both of your thoughts on the subject.

Really interested to watch this game... I think PU wins either way so this is more about open questions to answer going forward.. a few things I am looking at:

1. Explosive plays by Nevada: like it or not, the Auburn game still hangs in memory... Can Purdue put it to rest tomorrow? Nevada does not have the athletes that Auburn had but they have an offense built on explosive plays. Most intriguing to me- how do PU's LBs perform in space against the Air Raid? I don't think we learn much about the DL in this game one way or another. Quick passing game, and a bad run game last year with a better OL, I just don't see it giving the DL any meaningful context. Unless PU struggles against the run which I don't expect whatsoever.

2. Pass Protection and Ball Protection: Two big question marks are the OL and Sindelar's ball protection, and these two go hand in hand to me. I THINK the OL should be fine in this game but who knows. The biggest thing is can they keep a clean pocket beyond quick throws? And if they can, does Sindelar avoid turning the ball over? Throwing picks in a clean pocket would reduce any confidence that his historical issues were pressure related.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT