ADVERTISEMENT

"neutral" game BS

SYoumans

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 11, 2001
Penn State chose to move one of their home games to a different venue because they obviously saw some net positive effect vs. their home base. Coaches don't voluntarily make decisions that they believe are detrimental to their program. It's the basic law of self-interest. So why then would they get the ADDED benefit of getting to call it a neutral court game? That's ridiculous. It clearly was not a neutral court.

Why doesn't Purdue just schedule most of its home games at West Lafayette High School's gym? We could get the "Quad 1" benefits of playing our home games on a neutral court while still clearly enjoying a home court advantage.

I thought the broadcast mentioned last night that the ncaa would be looking into it for net rankings as a home game since PSU handled all the ticketing and something else (I wasn’t paying super close attention).

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I thought the broadcast mentioned last night that the ncaa would be looking into it for net rankings as a home game since PSU handled all the ticketing and something else (I wasn’t paying super close attention).
I believe they were saying they should, not that they wound. But so far, officially listed as a neutral site game.

PSU also handled all the pregame video and festivities, so it was just like they were playing a home game. That was the other part besides ticketing that they mentioned.

Reactions: bitsycs
Plus the crowd was almost all for Penn State. It's three hours from campus but three are 50,000 plus grads in the metro area and many others who are not grads that would root for in state PSU vs some Midwestern school.

Plus the crowd was almost all for Penn State. It's three hours from campus but three are 50,000 plus grads in the metro area and many others who are not grads that would root for in state PSU vs some Midwestern school.
I'm sure there were more Purdue fans in the Palestra than Davidson fans at Gainbridge.

Same reason we get the Davidson game in Indy as neutral. Philadelphia is over 3 hours away from State College.

This is not worth whining about.
It's definitely worth complaining about if there's a razor-thin margin between 1/2 seed or 2/3 seed come March.

Not a good analogy with Davidson either. Purdue never had the right to play them at Mackey, but then decided to move it to Indianapolis. If that WERE the case then, yes, that should be considered a home game for Purdue. Purdue didn't have control over the ticket sales in Indianapolis either, which is a huge factor.

It's definitely worth complaining about if there's a razor-thin margin between 1/2 seed or 2/3 seed come March.

Not a good analogy with Davidson either. Purdue never had the right to play them at Mackey, but then decided to move it to Indianapolis. If that WERE the case then, yes, that should be considered a home game for Purdue. Purdue didn't have control over the ticket sales in Indianapolis either, which is a huge factor.
What's more important when judging "home court"? Control of tickets or actual butts in seats?

Agree to disagree I guess. IMO this will not be an issue. The committee isn't going to say, "Oh no, that win doesn't mean as much because it was technically neutral!!!!!!" They're human beings. They're going to see that Purdue won by 13 in a road environment.

What's more important when judging "home court"? Control of tickets or actual butts in seats?

Agree to disagree I guess. IMO this will not be an issue. The committee isn't going to say, "Oh no, that win doesn't mean as much because it was technically neutral!!!!!!" They're human beings. They're going to see that Purdue won by 13 in a road environment.

Good points on both sides of this, but as mentioned, it could affect the overall NET ranking for Purdue. Tend to agree in the end, I don't think it will matter either way.....when you look at the complete picture/resume. In other words, the chance it would change a seed/line or S-curve position for Purdue - remote I guess.....but hey, when it's Purdue, you never know for sure. :)

It's not the committee...it's the NET scores that are a contributing factor to seeding. Obviously a Quad 1 win is better than a Quad 2, and that game should DEFINITELY be a Quad 1 win.

Last edited:
I don't know that it's really going to matter in the end, but I would be interested in hearing Painter's take on this. The B1G originally scheduled this as a home game for PSU and a road game for Purdue. Presumably, it was Penn State's idea to change the venue (which totally makes sense for them, especially during winter break). Did Purdue have to agree to it? Did Painter know that moving the game to Philly would change it's designation from home to neutral?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's easier/cheaper to go from Rutgers to Philly back to West Lafayette than Rutgers to State College to West Lafayette. Maybe Painter preferred playing at a packed Palestra over a mostly-empty BJC. Maybe Pinter just agreed to it to help an old friend. Maybe all of those things were considerations.

Reactions: Schnelk
I believe Purdue should worry more about being able to beat a 16th seed rather than where they play their games or what their tournament seed is going to be. In the past it didn’t really matter what ncaa seed Purdue was given .

Reactions: Chauncey Hill
It's not the committee...it's the NET scores that are a cotributing factor to seeding. Obviously a Quad 1 win is better than a Quad 2, and that game should DEFINITELY be a Quad 1 win.
But there are still humans making the seeding decisions. The NET is simply a tool. If and when they talk about it, they will know where the game was played.

Purdue keeps winning it doesn't make a difference if it's Q1 or Q2. Go 17-3 and win the BTT and we are a 1 seed, the PSU game's location is irrelevant
Valid. If we lose a bunch of games, it won't be because of a sliver of a difference in metrics that drops our seed.

Reactions: Hausta01
But there are still humans making the seeding decisions. The NET is simply a tool. If and when they talk about it, they will know where the game was played.
The Committee doesn't run through the entire schedule of every team and grade each W and L and discuss in detail. That's exactly why they use summary metrics like Quad 1 and Quad 2. You hear the Committee cite "Quad 1" wins every year when questioned about their decisions so, yes, it matters.

Ding ding ding . . . I am insanely jealous of the amount of free time some people apparently have
I used my time to post something substantive. You used yours to post a useless dig. Maybe you don't have enough free time because you waste your time on useless activities.

Reactions: guidelinesa2
The Committee doesn't run through the entire schedule of every team and grade each W and L and discuss in detail. That's exactly why they use summary metrics like Quad 1 and Quad 2. You hear the Committee cite "Quad 1" wins every year when questioned about their decisions so, yes, it matters.
Of course not, but they can see things like this case and say, "Hey, that win against Penn State might as well have been a road game." The NET is only a tool. They do actually talk about teams and not just the numbers. Or else St. Mary's is a 2-seed right now. Take a look at their resume and tell me whether they should be.

Of course not, but they can see things like this case and say, "Hey, that win against Penn State might as well have been a road game." The NET is only a tool. They do actually talk about teams and not just the numbers. Or else St. Mary's is a 2-seed right now. Take a look at their resume and tell me whether they should be.
I think you made my point. To my knowledge, St. Mary's has zero Quad 1 wins, which is why the Committee would not give them a 2-seed, despite what their NET rating is.

My point is that there are a lot of factors, and the human one is part of it. That's why I'm not quibbling over this.

I think you made my point. To my knowledge, St. Mary's has zero Quad 1 wins, which is why the Committee would not give them a 2-seed, despite what their NET rating is.
The odd thing here is that I'm usually the one parsing rankings and getting anal-retentive about the process. I'm following Milwaukee's season in the hopes that they stay Q3 now that they're there. But this situation seems different to me. It's a conference game, not at home, and the humans will look past the Quad ranking if they need to.

Plus I stand by my original assertion that Penn State will be top 50 by seasons end.

Who cares. Keep winning and all of those will be “good wins.” Lose games and it’s all moot. Just keep winning, end of story.

Reactions: Inspector100
Seems dumb to me that a conference game can be considered neutral. Every team plays 10 home 10 away, but now Purdue will play more home games than Penn State will - big disadvantage to the Lions! Not to mention that it is physically impossible for Penn State's normal arena to fill up past 30% or be loud enough that I can hear more than 4 students screaming on the mic at any one time.

NET updated to a road game for us.

up.gif
:)

darth-sidious-star-wars.gif

• Haha
Reactions: TX4GB
I don't know that it's really going to matter in the end, but I would be interested in hearing Painter's take on this. The B1G originally scheduled this as a home game for PSU and a road game for Purdue. Presumably, it was Penn State's idea to change the venue (which totally makes sense for them, especially during winter break). Did Purdue have to agree to it? Did Painter know that moving the game to Philly would change it's designation from home to neutral?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's easier/cheaper to go from Rutgers to Philly back to West Lafayette than Rutgers to State College to West Lafayette. Maybe Painter preferred playing at a packed Palestra over a mostly-empty BJC. Maybe Pinter just agreed to it to help an old friend. Maybe all of those things were considerations.
Rutgers (New Brunswick) is on I-95 and only about an hour from Philadelphia by car. You could take Amtrak to Philadelphia in about 30-40 minutes. Rutgers to State College is more than 2 hours, closer to 3.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT