ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska Spring Game

hunkgolden

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2004
Flipping through the channels and paused for a second on the Nebraska spring game on BTN. The damn stadium was full. What’s it hold - 70k? Is there seriously nothing else to do in that state? I’m all for school spirit - but a full house for a inter squad scrimmage? Am I the only one that sees this as kind of sad?

I believe that people will show up at the spring game when there is a history of success. We are not there yet, but I hope will be. As for NEB, they have a history, but not recently, and there is a lack of alternatives in the state.

Reactions: pboiler18
Purdue has a die-hard Fanbase the issue is so many of us live far away from campus. Tough to justify flying back or driving 4 hours for a scrimmage

Purdue has a die-hard Fanbase the issue is so many of us live far away from campus. Tough to justify flying back or driving 4 hours for a scrimmage

Agreed. This is backed up by stats. The diaspora of Purdue alumni is well documented.

But Nebraska has really good fans. I dislike it when people always turn this into some insult of the state/city.

Flipping through the channels and paused for a second on the Nebraska spring game on BTN. The damn stadium was full. What’s it hold - 70k? Is there seriously nothing else to do in that state? I’m all for school spirit - but a full house for a inter squad scrimmage? Am I the only one that sees this as kind of sad?
I’m impressed with how the state of Nebraska supports all of their big time sports. Sell out every home football game forever, and are top 15 in attendance nationally at both UN Lincoln and Creighton in hoops.

And their fans are classy also.

Does Nebraska NOT have a diaspora? I can't imagine that all those Nebraska grads are settling in Lincoln or even Omaha for that matter.

Living in Nebraska, I can confirm everything is dead when they have home games. That's when I do my grocery shopping and other errands.They get fans from the region who have no affiliation other than they live within 400 miles. You also have to remember their fan base is much smaller in terms of actual graduates. They are only a 3-4 thousand students larger than Ball State (around 26,000) but dont have the degrees that spread their fan base out as much as Purdue. A lot of them just work in Nebraska and specifically Omaha or Lincoln. Its the same reason Creighton has such a high attendance rate in basketball and soccer compared to anyone else. Large venues and nothing else to do and no other teams to support.

I don't get it either. I went to a PU spring game Brees' senior year, and thought it was not worth the time.

My son goes to Texas A&M and despite their love for football, not very many go to the spring game. We went two years ago, just because it coincided with family weekend, and it was free, and I'll never go again. There's no excitement in those games. I was happy when they announced the second half would be a running clock.

Agreed. This is backed up by stats. The diaspora of Purdue alumni is well documented.

But Nebraska has really good fans. I dislike it when people always turn this into some insult of the state/city.
Not insulting any state/city. Stating that Iowa also has a die-hard fan base as well. Do not know if their stadium was full for their Spring game. I do have relatives there and when there are no Pro Teams vying for their dime in the Fall + other college distractions nearby, it is the social thing to do.
We are seeing improvement in attendance as the on field product improved. Hope it sustains and builds to a level that many more will be in the stands for a Spring game. That may take years to do. Just my $.02.

Many schools have a sold out Spring game. I hear the ones at OSU and Georgia are pretty well attended. and in so doing, many Spring games are well attended because their regular season games are SOLD OUT ! and as such, many of these schools' Spring games are more than just a scrimmage. many schools add a lot of activities and make them like a midnight madness. Isn't a basketball midnight madness a scrimmage as well? but nobody criticizes the attendance for it.

you get out of the Spring game what you put into it. a lot of colleges put a lot more into it than Purdue does. maybe that will change.

I remember as a Packers fan, the only way I could ever buy a ticket to see my favorite team, was to try to see a Spring scrimmage, exhibition game or go to an away game. Scalping tickets and resale of tickets in Wisconsin used to be illegal.

I can't believe you are criticizing Nebraska fans for not having a life and going out to watch a Spring football game. What did you do last weekend? Post complaints on the internet? Wow - exciting life you have.

Many schools have a sold out Spring game. I hear the ones at OSU and Georgia are pretty well attended. and in so doing, many Spring games are well attended because their regular season games are SOLD OUT ! and as such, many of these schools' Spring games are more than just a scrimmage. many schools add a lot of activities and make them like a midnight madness. Isn't a basketball midnight madness a scrimmage as well? but nobody criticizes the attendance for it.

you get out of the Spring game what you put into it. a lot of colleges put a lot more into it than Purdue does. maybe that will change.

I remember as a Packers fan, the only way I could ever buy a ticket to see my favorite team, was to try to see a Spring scrimmage, exhibition game or go to an away game. Scalping tickets and resale of tickets in Wisconsin used to be illegal.

I can't believe you are criticizing Nebraska fans for not having a life and going out to watch a Spring football game. What did you do last weekend? Post complaints on the internet? Wow - exciting life you have.
psu also has alot of fans show up for their spring game

Wish we had more locals that cared. Have always wondered why the surrounding communities at Purdue did not embrace it more. We get great crowds from Indy, Chicago, FTW, and Kokomo but it has always seemed like West La La and Lafayette are not diehards like in Madison, Iowa City, Ann Arbor, etc.

When I was in Omaha for a wedding I talked to a Nebraska fan and he made the comment about how its Nebraska football and that's it for most of them lol...compared to Indiana residents for example who's fans have other college/pro teams within hours.

Nebraska is very similar to Alabama. Atlanta is close by, but there is literally no interest of Alabama residents to see the hawks, Falcons or Braves.

For those of us who are chronics (my son, a former G&B writer called us that name) we love the spring game. We even love to go to practices.

That said, I thought the spring game this year was one of the largest crowds ever. Sure, when someone scores, it's against our defense, but it's great just to see some football.

Personally, I hope we reach a point in the future when there are 30,000 people in the stands!

Officiating a swim meet. Still more productive than a lame spring game.

Officiating a swim meet. Still more productive than a lame spring game.

to each their own. it's a great opportunity to meet the players which is not going to happen after a regular game. very few people watch indoor or outdoor track meets, or college baseball games.

I think you see it that way because you probably have a lot of the same tired arguments as a lot of KHs as to why we can’t get a lot more peoplefor ours

About 90,000. Nicest and perhaps the most loyal fans in all of college football. Those of us living in a state with two or more major universities would have a tough time understanding what it would be like with No Hoosiers, No Notre Dame , No Colts and No Pacers!

Reactions: Purdue85
About 90,000. Nicest and perhaps the most loyal fans in all of college football. Those of us living in a state with two or more major universities would have a tough time understanding what it would be like with No Hoosiers, No Notre Dame , No Colts and No Pacers!

This is nice...

“Hours after the team returned from East Lansing on September 10, 1995, Phillips broke into backup quarterback Scott Frost's apartment by climbing the outside of the building to the third floor and entering through some sliding doors. He then assaulted basketball player Kate McEwen. Phillips dragged McEwen out of the apartment by the hair and down three flights of stairs before smashing her head into a mailbox. Phillips was subsequently arrested, and eventually suspended by head coach Tom Osborne. The case became a source of controversy and media attention, with the perception that Frost had not even tried to protect McEwen and that Osborne was coddling a star player by not kicking Phillips off the team permanently. Osborne walked out on a press conference when asked, "If one of your players had roughed up a member of your family and had dragged her down a flight of steps, would you have reinstated that player to the team?"[8]Outraged Nebraska faculty proposed that any student convicted of a violent crime be prohibited from representing the university on the football field.[9] Osborne defended the decision, saying that abandoning Phillips might do more harm than good, stating the best way to help Phillips was within the structured environment of the football program. Osborne stated, "I felt the only thing I could put in a place that would keep him on track was football, because that was probably the only consistent organizing factor in his life."[10] After a six-game suspension, Osborne reinstated Phillips for the Iowa State game,“

Sounds a lot like bone crusher to me. I’m glad joe tiller wasn’t the kind of piece of it who would have been so “nice.” Mark Osborne? Tom dantonio?

I was thoroughly surprised by the number of people attending the spring game a few weeks ago. Not sure what the announced attendance was but I’d guess in that ballpark of 12.5k. Ive been to some that were obviously below 2k so to see the entire north lot full 30 minutes before ‘kickoff’ was awesome to see. With a successful year and another good recruiting class, I wouldn’t be surprised to see it get north of 16k and possibly push 20k.

This is nice...

“Hours after the team returned from East Lansing on September 10, 1995, Phillips broke into backup quarterback Scott Frost's apartment by climbing the outside of the building to the third floor and entering through some sliding doors. He then assaulted basketball player Kate McEwen. Phillips dragged McEwen out of the apartment by the hair and down three flights of stairs before smashing her head into a mailbox. Phillips was subsequently arrested, and eventually suspended by head coach Tom Osborne. The case became a source of controversy and media attention, with the perception that Frost had not even tried to protect McEwen and that Osborne was coddling a star player by not kicking Phillips off the team permanently. Osborne walked out on a press conference when asked, "If one of your players had roughed up a member of your family and had dragged her down a flight of steps, would you have reinstated that player to the team?"[8]Outraged Nebraska faculty proposed that any student convicted of a violent crime be prohibited from representing the university on the football field.[9] Osborne defended the decision, saying that abandoning Phillips might do more harm than good, stating the best way to help Phillips was within the structured environment of the football program. Osborne stated, "I felt the only thing I could put in a place that would keep him on track was football, because that was probably the only consistent organizing factor in his life."[10] After a six-game suspension, Osborne reinstated Phillips for the Iowa State game,“

Sounds a lot like bone crusher to me. I’m glad joe tiller wasn’t the kind of piece of it who would have been so “nice.” Mark Osborne? Tom dantonio?

those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Purdue football and basketball has also had their fair share of athletes with a checkered past. Laptops, drugs, underaged drinking, assault, sexual illness, DUI, bicycle theft.... and many others not made public.

this thread started out talking about Nebraska fans, not the crimes of its players.

Reactions: Henry_Rosenthal
Big Spring Game attendance is a good thing. I wish I could have brought my boys up but I had to go to one of their baseball games.

I was thoroughly surprised by the number of people attending the spring game a few weeks ago. Not sure what the announced attendance was but I’d guess in that ballpark of 12.5k. Ive been to some that were obviously below 2k so to see the entire north lot full 30 minutes before ‘kickoff’ was awesome to see. With a successful year and another good recruiting class, I wouldn’t be surprised to see it get north of 16k and possibly push 20k.

Do you know what the Purdue “record” is? I’d guess around 2003 or so.... but it’s heavily weather dependent

Nebraska is very similar to Alabama. Atlanta is close by, but there is literally no interest of Alabama residents to see the hawks, Falcons or Braves.
This isn’t totally true about the Braves. Gotta remember that they are the only legacy team in the entire southeast (before the Marlins and Rays came along). Also have to remember the old TBS superstation days when the Braves, much like the Cubs on WGN were on in most households most nights.

I don’t think I’ve ever met a guy FROM Alabama who wasn’t a Braves fan.

Now for the Hawks and Falcons...this is true. Truer for the Hawks though.

This isn’t totally true about the Braves. Gotta remember that they are the only legacy team in the entire southeast (before the Marlins and Rays came along). Also have to remember the old TBS superstation days when the Braves, much like the Cubs on WGN were on in most households most nights.

I don’t think I’ve ever met a guy FROM Alabama who wasn’t a Braves fan.

Now for the Hawks and Falcons...this is true. Truer for the Hawks though.

Lots of Braves fans. However very few people from Alabama go to Braves games.

This is nice...

“Hours after the team returned from East Lansing on September 10, 1995, Phillips broke into backup quarterback Scott Frost's apartment by climbing the outside of the building to the third floor and entering through some sliding doors. He then assaulted basketball player Kate McEwen.

Lawrence Phillips was a bad person no doubt. RIP.

But I'm not sure what that has to do with the nice fans of Nebraska filling their stadium for the spring game some 25+ years later. If guilt by association stretches that far then everyone in the world would be guilty of something bad.

As we continue to have a stronger football program, we will get more people to our Spring Game.

As for me, I was working. Sorry I couldn't make it Wole. Were you there?

Lawrence Phillips was a bad person no doubt. RIP.

But I'm not sure what that has to do with the nice fans of Nebraska filling their stadium for the spring game some 25+ years later. If guilt by association stretches that far then everyone in the world would be guilty of something bad.

As we continue to have a stronger football program, we will get more people to our Spring Game.

As for me, I was working. Sorry I couldn't make it Wole. Were you there?

I was speaking of the program as a whole including the fans. Are you suggesting that Osborne went that rout but your average was like “well, you know we really don’t want players like that representing this university.” I don’t. And it’s hard to think of people like that as “nice.”

I was speaking of the program as a whole including the fans. Are you suggesting that Osborne went that rout but your average was like “well, you know we really don’t want players like that representing this university.” I don’t. And it’s hard to think of people like that as “nice.”
As I said, don't berate other programs when ours has been just as bad off the field.

Just as bad how?

I mentioned the issues above. You mentioned one player and an incident that happened almost a decade ago. I mentioned 5 incidents of Purdue players. and those were only the ones that I as a casual fan knew about. If you're going to bad mouth another team, how about we start a conversation about our own athletes with police records, and how our Purdue administration looked the other way or gave them 1-3 game suspensions. I get very tired of Purdue fans constantly pointing their finger at other team's players as if Purdue is squeaky clean and has never had any problems. to me, punching your roommate in the mouth is a big deal. Imagine if the roommate was female instead of being male. Stealing lap tops is a big deal. a DUI is a big deal. As I said, the issues I identified were the ones I know about. I have no idea what Barlow is admitting to, nor do I want to know. I'm confident if you go back in time 20-30 years like you did for Philips, you'll find just as much on Purdue players as well.

QB Mark Herrmann didn't even receive a suspension for his actions. While it wasn't major, it did show up in a police blotter, and he was guilty. however, he was too valuable of a player to serve any type of suspension, so the coach and administration both looked the other way and allowed him to play.

What did Robinson receive? Cline?

the thread was about Nebraska fans supporting their team.

Last edited:
I mentioned the issues above. You mentioned one player and an incident that happened almost a decade ago. I mentioned 5 incidents of Purdue players. and those were only the ones that I as a casual fan knew about. If you're going to bad mouth another team, how about we start a conversation about our own athletes with police records, and how our Purdue administration looked the other way or gave them 1-3 game suspensions. I get very tired of Purdue fans constantly pointing their finger at other team's players as if Purdue is squeaky clean and has never had any problems. to me, punching your roommate in the mouth is a big deal. Imagine if the roommate was female instead of being male. Stealing lap tops is a big deal. a DUI is a big deal. As I said, the issues I identified were the ones I know about. I have no idea what Barlow is admitting to, nor do I want to know. I'm confident if you go back in time 20-30 years like you did for Philips, you'll find just as much on Purdue players as well.

QB Mark Herrmann didn't even receive a suspension for his actions. While it wasn't major, it did show up in a police blotter, and he was guilty. however, he was too valuable of a player to serve any type of suspension, so the coach and administration both looked the other way and allowed him to play.

Cline's issue was one of self-harm and not harming others. He was suspended and had other things he needed to take care of in regards to that issue. Big difference when comparing issues like that to ones where individuals are seeking out to harm others or steal from businesses.

Cline's issue was one of self-harm and not harming others. He was suspended and had other things he needed to take care of in regards to that issue. Big difference when comparing issues like that to ones where individuals are seeking out to harm others or steal from businesses.
Cline passed out behind the wheel of a car. That situation could have very easily ended in more harm to himself and several others. Everyone is lucky that no one got hurt, but don’t act like the potential for serious harm was not there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT