ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska hires Oregon State coach

arcb102000

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
I do not get this hire at all. This strikes me as a prescription for disaster. OSU was not all that good recently under Riley.

It was unexpected, but I don't necessarily think it was a bad hire. Sometimes it's more about the right fit than anything.

Oregon State is a tough program. His recruiting was ok - not great, not bad. But he produced some pretty good teams from that "ok" talent. But recruiting to Nebraska will be a heckuva lot easier. He also was known for winning some big games - including a 6-2 bowl record. USC strongly considered him when Pete Carroll went to Seattle.

nat, they had a losing record this year. Plus, he is 61 years old, which is a bit old to rebuild a program. Having said that, the K State guy argues against me.

This post was edited on 12/5 9:04 AM by arcb102000

This is one of the dumbest hires in years. Look for the Nebraska AD to be on a very short leash in the next couple of years. Riley or Pelini......I'm going with Bo every time.

Originally posted by arcb102000:
nat, they had a losing record this year. Plus, he is 61 years old, which is a bit old to rebuild a program. Having saud that, the K State guy argues against me.
Damn, i thought he was still in his 50s.

As for Nebraska, i dont think a rebuild is necessary. They have good talent. If he can find a QB, he is in business

Originally posted by TwinDegrees2:
This is one of the dumbest hires in years. Look for the Nebraska AD to be on a very short leash in the next couple of years. Riley or Pelini......I'm going with Bo every time.
Stick to trolling Tom Crean

Originally posted by nat100:

Yada Yada Yada....Go have your mommy tuck you in and turn off her computer.

this reminds me of when Van Halen dropped David Lee Roth for Sammy Hagar, seriously it's a good hire but a lot depends on who he hires as asst. coaches, does he get Orgeron as a DC and recruiter? Frost as the OC ? that would take the hire up a couple of notches. Obviously recruiting is important and the west coast teams do well in recruiting Samoan kids and will those kids venture out to Lincoln?

Go have your mommy tuck you in and turn off her computer.
Nice attempt.

What do you know about Riley that makes this a dumb hire, or you just spouting off?

Re: Chicago Tribune the AM agrees with you...

calls Riley the Nebraska Marc Trestman. IF he is, what a disaster.

I was shocked by the hire, and actually how it came out of no where to just happen means that he had a real good idea of the type of coach he wanted in place. I'm not sure this is going to be a bad hire but I didn't think it would happen so quickly and like this. It's a wait and see game. At the end of the day, I'm not sure you're going to find a replacement that has a pedigree much better than what they got rid of and there isn't a lot out there so it was probably best to strike fast like this and get a guy you know can at least keep the momentum going until a high profile coach opens up you can snag.

I think the most interesting thing about this hire is going to be how they structure his contract. That will tell how strongly they feel about him and what the real motivation is here.

It's my opinion (and I never asked you to agree with it) the dumb part is you have a coach in place who's won 9 games every year who just happened to get into a pissing match with the AD last year. It doesn't take a lot to see where that was going, does it?

He's consistently been a winner, and I'd guess you would jump up and down with joy to see him pacing the Boiler sideline as your coach.

You hire a guy who, by all accounts is a "nice guy", but who's record in college and the pro's indicate he's not HC material. Riley has how many league titles? How many bowl trips? How many bowl wins?

Riley has never been a winner Nat. And you and others believe he'll come to a place like Nebraska and the B10 and win?

Would you trade him for Hazell at this point in both their careers or you just "spouting off"?

It's my opinion (and I never asked you to agree with it) the dumb part is you have a coach in place who's won 9 games every year who just happened to get into a pissing match with the AD last year. It doesn't take a lot to see where that was going, does it?

He's consistently been a winner, and I'd guess you would jump up and down with joy to see him pacing the Boiler sideline as your coach.

You hire a guy who, by all accounts is a "nice guy", but who's record in college and the pro's indicate he's not HC material. Riley has how many league titles? How many bowl trips? How many bowl wins?

Riley has never been a winner Nat. And you and others believe he'll come to a place like Nebraska and the B10 and win?

Would you trade him for Hazell at this point in both their careers or you just "spouting off"?
Guy has won 8 games 6 or more times at the equivalent of the Pac12s Purdue. I would have said IU, but Wazzu takes that title.

The fact he put a 10 win team together up there is impressive. You factor that in with a strong set of recruiting ties in California (a state Nebraska recruited heavily when they were a power) and you have good reason for the hire.

As for Bo, he was never going to win the West.

Originally posted by arcb102000:
nat, they had a losing record this year. Plus, he is 61 years old, which is a bit old to rebuild a program. Having saud that, the K State guy argues against me.
Damn, i thought he was still in his 50s.

As for Nebraska, i dont think a rebuild is necessary. They have good talent. If he can find a QB, he is in business
Agree, Nebraska isn't a mess that needs to clean house. They just are good program stuck in neutral. And remember that Pelini didn't have HC experience before Nebraska. Perhaps Pelini isn't HC material, and was just able to coast by on the advantages afforded to him by the Nebraska program (recruiting, fan support, money, etc).

Worst case scenario is Nebraska stays about the same. The "sexy" hires have a much higher likelihood of becoming trainwrecks - ND, UM, USC...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT