ADVERTISEMENT

Neal

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
Neal has already been ruled out for the Iowa game. Brohm said that he did not know if Neal was out for the year or not. However, I think it is pretty safe to say that Neal is not coming back. Would I be wrong in that assumption?

Iowa is the 7th game of the year. We know Neal, like Bailey, has NFL talent and aspirations. Is there any reason (advantage) why someone like Neal would risk injuring himself again to play 4 to 5 games when we are not going to play in a high profile bowl (and any bowl is still a decent long shot of happening)?

Maybe he was personally advised to shut it down and just get ready for the NFL after he was not ready for the first game or two?

Neal has already been ruled out for the Iowa game. Brohm said that he did not know if Neal was out for the year or not. However, I think it is pretty safe to say that Neal is not coming back. Would I be wrong in that assumption?

Iowa is the 7th game of the year. We know Neal, like Bailey, has NFL talent and aspirations. Is there any reason (advantage) why someone like Neal would risk injuring himself again to play 4 to 5 games when we are not going to play in a high profile bowl (and any bowl is still a decent long shot of happening)?

Maybe he was personally advised to shut it down and just get ready for the NFL after he was not ready for the first game or two?
I spoke to Neal at the spring game and he said he will be ready when the season starts. I wonder if he had s setback or he was being overly optimistic?????

I knew when he got hurt last year in the IU game that would be his last. If I was him I would have done the same thing.

I don't think he'll play either. But if he is shutting it down for the year, why not just come out and say it rather than having folks ask week after week? In that case, at least Bosa had the b@lls to say it.

I don't think he'll play either. But if he is shutting it down for the year, why not just come out and say it rather than having folks ask week after week? In that case, at least Bosa had the b@lls to say it.

Maybe it really has been week to week at this point and he still hopes to play to cement his draft stock and help the team win in the process? We all are just guessing here. What we know is he intended to play, and there was clearly some sort of a set back that changed things. At 6'3 320, this is probably not the typical ACL recovery.

Also, the kid played nearly every snap last year and carried the D-line single handedly. Questioning if he has the balls or not is out of line IMO. He deserves the respect of how ever he chooses to handle this.

I've seen several players with injuries like Bosa just say good bye to college and hello to the NFL. Bailey is doing it. guys like neal will probabl y be drafted lower than expected, but he will get drafted. he has nothing more to prove at purdue. and if he does come back too soon and re-injures himself, he can say good bye to his future career.

I completed my last degree at age 41 after retiring from the military. I encourage him to pursue his dreams. he can always come back and get his degree 5-10 years later.

Reactions: indyogb
I am sure he doesn’t want to come back at less than 100%, and maybe he thinks he can still get there?

Reactions: purduepat1969

well, it really isn't our business. It's nobody's business but his.

It doesn't require "b@lls" to make fans happy or unhappy. His gonads are irrelevant to the discussion.

Maybe it really has been week to week at this point and he still hopes to play to cement his draft stock and help the team win in the process? We all are just guessing here. What we know is he intended to play, and there was clearly some sort of a set back that changed things. At 6'3 320, this is probably not the typical ACL recovery.

Also, the kid played nearly every snap last year and carried the D-line single handedly. Questioning if he has the balls or not is out of line IMO. He deserves the respect of how ever he chooses to handle this.

What I said is if he intended not to play this whole time, he should have the balls to say it. If he had set backs, that's totally understandable.

Reactions: boiler2288

It doesn't require "b@lls" to make fans happy or unhappy. His gonads are irrelevant to the discussion.

The fans are irrelevant. His other teammates, however, are not.

Also, he never burned his RS.

Might be waiting for the last 4 games to come back and put some good stuff on tape.

And if he doesn't he can always use the RS season and come back and play a full year next year.

I don't think he is a shoe in at this point to be drafted (even though he was projected as a 20-40 pick this year in preseason mocks). I think the slow recovery will have tons of red flags up on him. I think we will see him play this year. If not, id expect him to come back next year and play.

Might be waiting for the last 4 games to come back and put some good stuff on tape.

And if he doesn't he can always use the RS season and come back and play a full year next year.

I don't think he is a shoe in at this point to be drafted (even though he was projected as a 20-40 pick this year in preseason mocks). I think the slow recovery will have tons of red flags up on him. I think we will see him play this year. If not, id expect him to come back next year and play.
I've said all along that a major knee injury to a big guy this far into his career automatically sets him back at least 2-3 rounds, unless he can prove to scouts and GM's that he is the same player he was before. There are a couple ways to do that, #1 come back and play, #2 be a beast at the combine. Neal just doesn't strike me as the type who is going to dominate the combine. I think he, at some point, is going to have to play his way back into the first 3 rounds or decide that a later round pick good enough.

Which this seems highly plausible to me based off of how Brohm is describing his situation. And really would be a win-win for Neal as it were since he's have the option to come back.

Reactions: pboiler18
Which this seems highly plausible to me based off of how Brohm is describing his situation. And really would be a win-win for Neal as it were since he's have the option to come back.
1st round draft pick becomes instant Multi-Million dollar contracts with big signing bonuses vs. contracts for exceptional money and minimal signing bonuses.
"Compensation gradually declines as the draft progresses. The 32nd and last player taken in the first round can expect a 4-year, $9.54 million contract with a $5 million signing bonus. The 256th and final pick of the 2018 NFL Draft – known in league circles as “Mr. Irrelevant” – will earn an estimated $2.48 million over four years and a signing bonus of roughly $70,000."
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nfl-draft-rookie-contract-scale-090000446.html

The question is do you gamble to regain 1st round status and come back next year or just train and forego the last year elgibility and hope for the best? I'm convinced that Purdue CJB has connections to Agents and will get advice to put Lorenzo's interest in front of Purdue's. Players at that level want that peace of mind.

Mid-pack or lower draft gets great $$$'s, but a 1st rounder can make in 1 season all the money + signing bonus that a mid-pack makes in a full 3 year deal. An interesting conundrum to be in.

is the NFL like the NBA and allow a player to attend the combine and come back to school if they don't like the results?

you'd also be surprised at how many people get so annoyed at my posts , they do my searching for me just to prove how ignorant I am and how smart they are. it saves me a lot of time and effort.

Years ago on some professional discussion groups the only way to get an answer was to deliberately place a small mistake in the post. Whereas no one would ever answer a legitimate question by itself, posters would now jump on replying to show you up as to how superior they were to you in correcting that deliberate mistake. What a sick bunch of losers!

Years ago on some professional discussion groups the only way to get an answer was to deliberately place a small mistake in the post. Whereas no one would ever answer a legitimate question by itself, posters would now jump on replying to show you up as to how superior they were to you in correcting that deliberate mistake. What a sick bunch of losers!

Exactly. it still works!

You assume that is something that is hard to do. It really isn't. It takes less time to do that than for you to type out your long winded troll posts.

actually I do this to practice my keyboard and typing skills. you should read some of my first posts. they were filled with LOTS of spelling, grammar and spacing errors. and had LOTS OF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

actually I do this to practice my keyboard and typing skills. you should read some of my first posts. they were filled with LOTS of spelling, grammar and spacing errors. and had LOTS OF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll give you credit, you're at least trying to be funny with it.

Reactions: Inspector100

I could see him coming back for a game like Wisconsin because it would allow him to show NFL scouts how he can perform against a superior O-line and RB. That would actually give him more draft stock push than anything else as it would remove all doubt if he performs well. That way he also would not be commiting to so many games that he wears down the surgically repaird knee??

Say Neal comes back , wouldn't it take a game at least to get back into game shape and the flow of the game.

Those Purdue supporters who are paying his $40,000/yr out-of-state scholarship might consider his decision to sit out to be their business.

Most of the question you ask are common knowledge to long time fans.

Can you imagine being behind this dude in line while he is ordering a sandwich? I’m willing to bet that it takes the poor people working at jersey mike’s a solid 3 minutes to explain mike’s way.

Those Purdue supporters who are paying his $40,000/yr out-of-state scholarship might consider his decision to sit out to be their business.

Certainly.

And, who would they be?

I can tell you, I'm one of them. But, of course, I don't know to whom my donation goes, so your argument is pointless. You see, as a JPC donor, my money goes into the pot, but not a d@mn one of them owes me anything. You see, I donate not for myself, but for them. They owe me zero explanations. Nor do they owe you, or anyone else, anything. Donations don't come with an obligation. If you think so, you're "donating" for the wrong reason(s).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT