ADVERTISEMENT

Neal and Watts

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
And then there were two...
The two big elephants in the room.

Any thoughts on these guys staying or going?

Neal's stock obviously took a huge hit with the injury, and I'm not sure it ever really recovered.
Watts is one of those fringe late round guys.

For either one, declaring would be a gamble, but how do they improve by coming back? For Neal its probably better conditioning and Watts it is by playing his natural position as a 4-3 tackle.

Neal's stock obviously took a huge hit with the injury, and I'm not sure it ever really recovered.

For either one, declaring would be a gamble, but how do they improve by coming back? For Neal its probably better conditioning and Watts it is by playing his natural position as a 4-3 tackle.
I would say both will leave.

Neal was starting to play well again. I think he can boost his stock by playing another season to prove he's over his injury. Like Rondale.

Neal was starting to play well again. I think he can boost his stock by playing another season to prove he's over his injury. Like Rondale.
Neal needs another season to prove he can get his weight under control too. That's a big draft red flag

Reactions: DAG10

Both guys would benefit by returning...simple as that. That does not mean that they will of course, but, it would be the best decision in both cases.

Of the two I'd guess Watts would be the more likely to return. Just saw that Austin and Sullivan have opted back in so we've got that going for us.........which is nice.
Opted back in? Am I missing something? Never knew those guys opted out in the first place

Neal is interesting. Obviously would be a welcome addition back. Not sure how much age is a factor for the NFL vs the NBA. Im thinking not nearly as much, especially for a DT. I think he enjoys being around his teammates and he may be financially set given his dad was in the league for 16 years. Thus, there may not be quite the desire to jump.

Reactions: DAG10 and SKYDOG
Neal is interesting. Obviously would be a welcome addition back. Not sure how much age is a factor for the NFL vs the NBA. Im thinking not nearly as much, especially for a DT. I think he enjoys being around his teammates and he may be financially set given his dad was in the league for 16 years. Thus, there may not be quite the desire to jump.
The desire to jump should not be driving the decision (see Nojel Eastern)...he is someone that should have someone (i.e., Dad) that can help with the decision.

I think he would have benefited by returning...that said, he seemed a little reluctant to return this past year, and, maybe a poor year can be explained away due to COVID...that would be more difficult to do if there were another poor year.

Neal needs another season to prove he can get his weight under control too. That's a big draft red flag

I agree with you...but as odd as it sounds being 24 would work against him too.

Best case scenario for him is a team takes a late round chance on him and hope with conditioning he can be a NFL nose tackle in a few seasons.

Reactions: Indy_Rider and TMFT
I don’t think there’s any doubt Neal will have a great opportunity to make a roster. He’s just going to need to make an effort to be in peak physical condition.

Glad to get Watts back, was hoping for Neal, I get it though. Still happy with the players returning, probably 3 or 4 starters.

If Neal was smart he should not sign with an agent and keep his options open until he hears back from the NFL teams after Pudue hosts it’s workout day since it is my understanding that the Combine will not happen this year! If he hears he will get drafted then go, if not he has to make a choice of going the Free Agent signing route or come back, get in shape and play here or elsewhere!

If Neal was smart he should not sign with an agent and keep his options open until he hears back from the NFL teams after Pudue hosts it’s workout day since it is my understanding that the Combine will not happen this year! If he hears he will get drafted then go, if not he has to make a choice of going the Free Agent signing route or come back, get in shape and play here or elsewhere!
I think he is ready to be done with college football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT