ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA tournament chances

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002
It's going to take a strong run in our remaining 16 Big Ten contests to get in, but they've given themselves a chance. In this projection they are currently one of the first four out.

Good article linked in today's headlines(from the Exponent). The ladies seem to enjoy playing for Coach Gearlds, and I believe that is one big contributing factor to the improved results thus far. It's also something that seemed to be lacking under the prior coach, especially the most recent few seasons.

Good article linked in today's headlines(from the Exponent). The ladies seem to enjoy playing for Coach Gearlds, and I believe that is one big contributing factor to the improved results thus far. It's also something that seemed to be lacking under the prior coach, especially the most recent few seasons.
I agree that during Versyp's tenure there seemed to be a difference in how happy and motivated her teams were in her last few years. I am still shocked that the allegations (that by all appearances caused her to resign), apparently were true to some degree.

Most of the women who played for her early in her tenure express nothing but admiration for her. One would think having cancer and being a survivor would improve her personality but I fail to see it here. Sad.

Reactions: jindy
I agree that during Versyp's tenure there seemed to be a difference in how happy and motivated her teams were in her last few years. I am still shocked that the allegations (that by all appearances caused her to resign), apparently were true to some degree.

Most of the women who played for her early in her tenure express nothing but admiration for her. One would think having cancer and being a survivor would improve her personality but I fail to see it here. Sad.
Hope my comment didn't come off as a shot at Versyp. As you said, many of the players from early in her tenure seem to have great respect for her. Having met her a couple of times I can say that she seemed a good person. Either way I appreciate the atmosphere that Katie seems to be building and believe that the kids are playing with more energy and less fear of making mistakes. Seems like this could pay off long term in areas of recruiting and player retention, too.

Still no mention of us on the ESPN projections.

Looking at NET rankings, all 7 Big Ten teams ahead of us in the rankings are in the field but there is a gap between us at 8 and Northwestern at 7. If we can get into the 50's it looks like we'd have a good chance to get in.

10. Indiana 2
11. Nebraska 1 - away
14. Maryland 0
24. Ohio State 0
28. Michigan 1 - away
31. Iowa 1 -home
54. Northwestern 2
78. Purdue
83. Michigan State 0
84. Minnesota 1 - home
121. Penn State 1 - home
142. Rutgers 1 - away
180. Illinois 2
241. Wisconsin 2 (assuming postponed game is rescheduled)

We're sitting at 11-4 (2-2) with 14 games left. If we were to just win all the games against the teams below us in the rankings, that makes us 7-7 the rest of the way and we finish 18-11 (9-9) but that probably isn't enough to improve our NET ranking. I think we probably need to win 2-3 games against teams ranked ahead of us as well to get in. Our next opportunity to get one is tomorrow night against Iowa.

Reactions: DocRon
ADVERTISEMENT