ADVERTISEMENT

NBC to bid $1 billion+ per year for Big Ten Media Rights?

YouSayPotato

True Freshman
Jun 4, 2021
  • NBC Sports is expected to make a major push for the Big Ten's media rights, sources tell Front Office Sports.
  • The Big Ten could command rights fees of up to $1.1 billion annually on the open market, said sources.

Big-Ten-ESPN

With the Big Ten’s media rights set to expire in 2023, major networks are gearing up to bid for some of the most sought-after packages in college sports. NBC Sports is expected to make a major push for the Power 5 conference’s rights, sources tell Front Office Sports. The Big Ten could command fees of up to $1.1 billion annually on the open market, said sources.

NBC views the combination of the Big Ten along with its existing deal with Notre Dame football as the “perfect one-two punch,” said one source. With its $100 million-per-year deal with the NHL off the books, NBC has the cash and ambition to boost its college portfolio. “If I’m ESPN or Fox, I’m looking over my shoulder because NBC is going to go hard after the Big Ten,” said another source.

“We don’t comment on specific strategies of our company, but we’re always interested in high-quality sports with wide appeal,” an NBC Sports spokesperson told FOS.
The Big Ten is currently in an exclusive negotiating period with ESPN, Sports Business Journal reported. CBS, which will lose SEC football rights after the 2023-24 season, will reportedly also be particularly interested.

Media Rights Benchmarks​

In 2017, the Big Ten inked a six-year, $2.64 billion package that pays out about $440 million each year.
But in 2020, a new bar was set with the SEC’s gargantuan 10-year, $3 billion deal with Disney that will commence in 2024.

NBC after Big Ten

People want to know why their streaming and/or cable bills go up. I guess we can say it is definitely due to sports. That does not include NBA, NFL, etc. whose rights keep ballooning up too. This is one area that is not hurting right now.

The BT athletics budgets should be doing very well and will continue to do well for the foreseeable future. I guess this will help some colleges with paying NILs too.

Interesting the article labels it "gargantuan" when it wasn't even as big as the B1Gs three years prior.
Also interesting to note that NBC is aiming for a Big Ten - Notre Dame combo package. NBC now pays ND $15 million/yr plus the Irish get $8 million/yr from the ACC, total $23 million/yr.

But if NBC pays the Big Ten $1 billion/yr, then each school in the conference would receive $72 million/yr.

Interesting the article labels it "gargantuan" when it wasn't even as big as the B1Gs three years prior.
Yeah, the media made a big deal about the SEC number, but it’s smart to renegotiate as often as possible.

The SEC has locked in a certain amount for 10 years. At the end of the 10 years, that number will certainly look like a steal for the networks.

Above I estimated the Big Ten Schools would make $72 million per school if they get a $1 billion media rights deal from NBC. Add to that an estimated $17 million per school from the Big Ten Network and each B1G school would be making $89 million per year in total media rights.

BTN $250 million/yr

Also interesting to note that NBC is aiming for a Big Ten - Notre Dame combo package. NBC now pays ND $15 million/yr plus the Irish get $8 million/yr from the ACC, total $23 million/yr.

But if NBC pays the Big Ten $1 billion/yr, then each school in the conference would receive $72 million/yr.
I've read total package is 84-86 million per school? I should have read down further. Nevermind. :p

• NBC Sports is expected to make a major push for the Big Ten's media rights, sources tell Front Office Sports.
  • The Big Ten could command rights fees of up to $1.1 billion annually on the open market, said sources.

Big-Ten-ESPN

With the Big Ten’s media rights set to expire in 2023, major networks are gearing up to bid for some of the most sought-after packages in college sports. NBC Sports is expected to make a major push for the Power 5 conference’s rights, sources tell Front Office Sports. The Big Ten could command fees of up to $1.1 billion annually on the open market, said sources.

NBC views the combination of the Big Ten along with its existing deal with Notre Dame football as the “perfect one-two punch,” said one source. With its $100 million-per-year deal with the NHL off the books, NBC has the cash and ambition to boost its college portfolio. “If I’m ESPN or Fox, I’m looking over my shoulder because NBC is going to go hard after the Big Ten,” said another source.

“We don’t comment on specific strategies of our company, but we’re always interested in high-quality sports with wide appeal,” an NBC Sports spokesperson told FOS.
The Big Ten is currently in an exclusive negotiating period with ESPN, Sports Business Journal reported. CBS, which will lose SEC football rights after the 2023-24 season, will reportedly also be particularly interested.

Media Rights Benchmarks​

In 2017, the Big Ten inked a six-year, $2.64 billion package that pays out about $440 million each year.
But in 2020, a new bar was set with the SEC’s gargantuan 10-year, $3 billion deal with Disney that will commence in 2024.

NBC after Big Ten
What I find interesting is their renewed interest to get back into sports. I think Peacock is driving that. It wasn't but a few years ago the only thing they had was ND home football and the Olympics (which are tanking right now). Looks like they want a lot of the enchilada.

Since droves of people are no longer viewing professional sports (me included), it would be smart to get in on the next level.

The B10 is a very attractive brand to get behind. I'm no fan of NBC but it does bring some intrigue to our discussion forun.

It wasn't but a few years ago the only thing they had was ND home football and the Olympics
ND football certainly isn't tanking but it has clearly lost some appeal. Those obligated ACC games with Duke, Wake, BC, NC State and Syracuse are not bringing in a bevy of viewers. Navy is Navy. USC and Stanford ain't what they used to be.

Reactions: DAG10

Wonder if NBC is pushing ND to join the B1G

Big-Ten-ESPN

Media Rights Benchmarks​

NBC after Big Ten
I had assumed that this was for ALL rights, not just football, but the article referenced CBS and just football for SEC (which I was not aware of).

Personally, NBC is limited with respect to distribution opposed to ESPN/ABC...and, nowhere near as good with respect to their sports coverage as others either. Regardless, $$$ talks and NBC is apparently screaming at the top of their lungs.

Personally, NBC is limited with respect to distribution opposed to ESPN/ABC...and, nowhere near as good with respect to their sports coverage as others either.
I agree. If you look at the number of games by network that drew over 3.5 million viewers, NBC with their ND media rights did very poorly. They had only one game with over 3.5 million viewers, Cincinnati, and it actually had fewer than 4 million. Even the Southern Cal game, which was in South Bend, had fewer than 3.5 million viewers.

NetworkNumber of Games With 3.5 Million+ Viewers
ABC21
FOX12
CBS11
ESPN6
NBC1
Total51

Reactions: DAG10
I think it’s cute the ND thinks the conferences are “joining” them.

How about, you aren’t making enough money for the network so they have to go find more programming.

Whatever helps them sleep well I guess...when you are as self-obsessed as they are, it makes sense. Here is what is most amusing about that whole matter...if the B1G did move to NBC (which I still think is a really lousy idea), the ratings for the B1G would blow away the ratings for ND...to the point that the B1G could ultimately bump them from the network actually.

What will ultimately be cute will be if (ideally, when) the conferences actually flip ND off as they should have for so long...SEC has no interest, never mind no need...B1G/ACC/Pac-12 Alliance does not need them either. Collectively, they have ignored the fact that THEY have ALL of the leverage and ND has none...maybe...hopefully...somebody will step up and say, "Screw them"....and, the rest will agree...and ND will be left scrambling.

Reactions: PumpkinShuckers07
These threads always crack me up.

1) The ACC Network’s highest viewed games involved ND.
2) ND football isn’t struggling on NBC. NBC is trying to extend the deal.
3) NBC isn’t pushing ND to join the B1G. ND’s contract runs through 2036 for all sports, so they won’t leave.

4) Most important…ND actually made MORE money the year they were in the ACC per game. It’s a myth ND has more money because of the NBC contract. It’s the equivalent of Jordan’s wealth. He didn’t make his money from his basketball salary, he made it off of everything else around him. ND makes its money off of everything else other than the NBC contract. That’s why they have a $20.3 Billion Endowment with less than 8,000 students per year.

People just don’t understand how ND works. The football TV contract is a blip for them.

These threads always crack me up.

1) The ACC Network’s highest viewed games involved ND.
2) ND football isn’t struggling on NBC. NBC is trying to extend the deal.
3) NBC isn’t pushing ND to join the B1G. ND’s contract runs through 2036 for all sports, so they won’t leave.

4) Most important…ND actually made MORE money the year they were in the ACC per game. It’s a myth ND has more money because of the NBC contract. It’s the equivalent of Jordan’s wealth. He didn’t make his money from his basketball salary, he made it off of everything else around him. ND makes its money off of everything else other than the NBC contract. That’s why they have a $20.3 Billion Endowment with less than 8,000 students per year.

People just don’t understand how ND works. The football TV contract is a blip for them.
If they had the emoji/icon to flip the bird, I would use it...

Hey genius, I have news for you...well, first, you have no idea what the word myth actually means, but, second, ND indeed literally has more money because of their NBC contract. Here is the point that you and so many others are missing...they can have all the money in the world and it does not matter on the field as they have shown repeatedly for years.

I should have already ignored your incessant delusional ramblings as you are yet another clown that has no actual ties to ND and somehow believes that they are anything but what they actually are.

Like say, I already said it and man do I hope it comes to fruition...if just one person can take to the podium and point out what an awful position ND is in and that they have absolutely no leverage at all, the rest of college football can finally do what they should have done for years...tell ND to screw itself and render them absolutely meaningless. That way they can preserve their rivalries with the Military Academies and then keep playing the likes of Toledo and Western Michigan and Ball St.

Here is a thought...maybe NBC realizes that same possibility exists, and, as such, are going all in for the B1G so that they actually do have games that they can televise at that point that people will actually watch.

They have said endowment because they, like Indinia basketball fans, are stuck in a time warp and believe that this is still the 1980s.

Great. I bitch about the BTN+ screw job each year. NBC will push B1G games to Peacock now to get more subscribers. After the abomination of their coverage of the Olympics I'm a real fan of anything NBC.

If they had the emoji/icon to flip the bird, I would use it...

Hey genius, I have news for you...well, first, you have no idea what the word myth actually means, but, second, ND indeed literally has more money because of their NBC contract. Here is the point that you and so many others are missing...they can have all the money in the world and it does not matter on the field as they have shown repeatedly for years.

I should have already ignored your incessant delusional ramblings as you are yet another clown that has no actual ties to ND and somehow believes that they are anything but what they actually are.

Like say, I already said it and man do I hope it comes to fruition...if just one person can take to the podium and point out what an awful position ND is in and that they have absolutely no leverage at all, the rest of college football can finally do what they should have done for years...tell ND to screw itself and render them absolutely meaningless. That way they can preserve their rivalries with the Military Academies and then keep playing the likes of Toledo and Western Michigan and Ball St.

Here is a thought...maybe NBC realizes that same possibility exists, and, as such, are going all in for the B1G so that they actually do have games that they can televise at that point that people will actually watch.

They have said endowment because they, like Indinia basketball fans, are stuck in a time warp and believe that this is still the 1980s.
Tell that sob

Great. I bitch about the BTN+ screw job each year. NBC will push B1G games to Peacock now to get more subscribers. After the abomination of their coverage of the Olympics I'm a real fan of anything NBC.
I really don't get the bitching about BTN+. I love having the option of purchasing viewership that doesn't make the networks AND none of our football games are on it and very few non-exhibition basketball games. You can buy a one-month subscription for about $10 if you feel like watching watching Purdue and Chicago State is worth it. If not, follow it on the radio or internet and wait for BTN to replay it later in the week.

That said, if we start pushing our football and basketball games to non-traditional media I won't be a fan of that. Keep those on stations you can find on most any cable or satellite bundle.

Interesting speculation about upcoming Big Ten media rights. Also interesting opinions that Delany is a genius, the Big XII will no longer be a P5 conference after OU & UT leave and that the ACC and has basically screwed itself until 2037. The individual ACC schools are also screwed. The ACC has a lousy TV deal and a GOR for broadcast rights even if a school leaves for another conference.

Big Ten Media Rights

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT