ADVERTISEMENT

Nancy’s got more stones than

Yep, when it comes to China, Pelosi has been very consistent all these years, and is definitely an eyesore for them.

Meanwhile, Mitch is her very opposite. If Brietbart says it, it must be true, right?

• Haha
Reactions: BSIT
Possibly but she has had a long history against China. I can’t believe I’m saying this but I think she’s better than both Biden and Harris
She's more politically competent than most in her party. Thankfully she can't last many more years.

She's more politically competent than most in her party. Thankfully she can't last many more years.
True but I’d feel safer with her as President than Harris. I promise you I don’t have a fever and haven’t had anything to drink yet today

Both Biden and this liberal foreign policy “expert”
First time I ever said kudos to Nancy

Her going to Taiwan is reckless. It has nothing to do with her having balls. I remember when everyone said Trump was going to start WW3. Now we have Nancy antagonizing China for no apparent reason. Talk about starting something. However, once China made the threat, she had to go. So now we either back down or escalate the situation?

Our foreign policy about Taiwan makes ZERO sense. We're going to help defend them, but we also adopt a "One China" policy?? WTF?

Her going to Taiwan is reckless. It has nothing to do with her having balls. I remember when everyone said Trump was going to start WW3. Now we have Nancy antagonizing China for no apparent reason. Talk about starting something. However, once China made the threat, she had to go. So now we either back down or escalate the situation?

Our foreign policy about Taiwan makes ZERO sense. We're going to help defend them, but we also adopt a "One China" policy?? WTF?
Do you think if Nancy didn’t go , China would be less likely to invade Taiwan?

Back down or escalate? No. She comes home. Message sent. There was nothing to back down from. We took no new position or made any threats.

Republican senators went there last year. Many approved of her going and said so.

Reactions: indyogb and BSIT
Back down or escalate? No. She comes home. Message sent. There was nothing to back down from. We took no new position or made any threats.

Republican senators went there last year. Many approved of her going and said so.
What was the purpose in the first place? It wasn't necessary. Neither was the Republican trip. If we want to send a message, then change the "One China" policy. Otherwise stop sending stupid bipolar messages to China...

What was the purpose in the first place? It wasn't necessary. Neither was the Republican trip. If we want to send a message, then change the "One China" policy. Otherwise stop sending stupid bipolar messages to China...
To show the US stands by Taiwan. That we support democracies around the world. She went to Ukraine earlier in the year.

China is flexing it's muscles in the region, making claims on territory and building it's Navy. This was a reinforcement of our commitment to Taiwan.

What are the bipolar messages?

Would you prefer we abandon Taiwan?

I don't understand what policy you're promoting.

China ain't invading Taiwan anytime soon...
I would like to believe that but my tune changed after they took over Hong Kong. Unfortunately the US relies on Taiwan semiconductors. With China being the main source of medicine along with other products the US outsourced, it wouldn’t take much to cripple the US if they took over the largest semiconductor producer

Pelosi was dead right in this case. Standing up to our primary geopolitical rival is important, especially given their increasing belligerence in recent years. Russia may be even more belligerent, but they're fading; China is the real threat to us at this point.

To show the US stands by Taiwan. That we support democracies around the world. She went to Ukraine earlier in the year.

China is flexing it's muscles in the region, making claims on territory and building it's Navy. This was a reinforcement of our commitment to Taiwan.

What are the bipolar messages?

Would you prefer we abandon Taiwan?

I don't understand what policy you're promoting.

Do you not understand the bipolar-ness of our policies? We stand by the "One China" policy, which means that there is only one China and that Taiwan is part of China and that the PRC is the sole legal government of China. Then in another breath we have the Taiwan Relations Act that states we'll support the security of Taiwan. I mean, really, WTF does that mean??

Do I prefer we abandon Taiwan? Hell no...

The policy I'm promoting is either that we have formal diplomatic relations with Taiwan and recognize them as a sovereign nation. Or we abandon the Taiwan Relations Act and formally recognize Taiwan as a territory of the PRC. I obviously prefer the former.

All we're doing right now is pissing off China for no reason. If we're going to really make a stand for Taiwan, we should do what's right and support and recognize them as a sovereign nation. This ambiguous "One China" policy is ridiculous...

I would like to believe that but my tune changed after they took over Hong Kong. Unfortunately the US relies on Taiwan semiconductors. With China being the main source of medicine along with other products the US outsourced, it wouldn’t take much to cripple the US if they took over the largest semiconductor producer
As I said before, the One China policy is stupid. Either we recognize Taiwan as a legitimate government and sovereign nation, or we don't.

Reactions: Joetboiler and BSIT
I was talking with a friend a couple days ago and mentioned that the Chinese were upset about Pelosi going to Taiwan and were threatening to shoot her plane down.

He said, "She's safe."

I asked, "Why?"

He said, "It's virtually impossible for the radar on a missile to lock on to a broom."
It took a while to stop laughing.

Do you not understand the bipolar-ness of our policies? We stand by the "One China" policy, which means that there is only one China and that Taiwan is part of China and that the PRC is the sole legal government of China. Then in another breath we have the Taiwan Relations Act that states we'll support the security of Taiwan. I mean, really, WTF does that mean??

Do I prefer we abandon Taiwan? Hell no...

The policy I'm promoting is either that we have formal diplomatic relations with Taiwan and recognize them as a sovereign nation. Or we abandon the Taiwan Relations Act and formally recognize Taiwan as a territory of the PRC. I obviously prefer the former.

All we're doing right now is pissing off China for no reason. If we're going to really make a stand for Taiwan, we should do what's right and support and recognize them as a sovereign nation. This ambiguous "One China" policy is ridiculous...
The one china policy is admittedly a unique one.......but it is a unique situation.

If China takes action because of the Pelosi trip, you might have an argument that pissing them off is unwise. But I don't think they will. We've pissed them off before over Taiwan and many other things.

We made no policy change......a policy that, while strange, has worked fine for 40 years. There are so many other parts to our relationship that they have to take into account when doing the math on whether to act based on one trip by the speaker. This is bluster and nothing else. It will be a non story in a week.

China has their own problems.......and they had 500 billion in exports to us last year. Are they gonna risk that over a trip by the speaker?

You worried about pissing off China? Try recognizing Taiwan as you suggested. See what happens then.

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57
China will make a move to take Taiwan before Biden leaves office. He is not just perceived as weak but China owns his family. Waiting to see who succeeds him is not in China's best interest for a quick takeover.

The one china policy is admittedly a unique one.......but it is a unique situation.

If China takes action because of the Pelosi trip, you might have an argument that pissing them off is unwise. But I don't think they will. We've pissed them off before over Taiwan and many other things.

We made no policy change......a policy that, while strange, has worked fine for 40 years. There are so many other parts to our relationship that they have to take into account when doing the math on whether to act based on one trip by the speaker. This is bluster and nothing else. It will be a non story in a week.

China has their own problems.......and they had 500 billion in exports to us last year. Are they gonna risk that over a trip by the speaker?

You worried about pissing off China? Try recognizing Taiwan as you suggested. See what happens then.
I'm not worried about pissing off China. My point is, why was it necessary when we already have South China Sea issues? And what would we even do if China decided to invade? Protest? Because I can guarantee you Biden ain't sending troops and we're not cutting off trade. So why bother pissing them off for no good reason? If we want to improve relations, why ware we doing this?

It's funny. If this would have happened under Trump's admin, you would have been all over it. And don't even try to deny that...

Reactions: Riveting-
I'm not worried about pissing off China. My point is, why was it necessary when we already have South China Sea issues? And what would we even do if China decided to invade? Protest? Because I can guarantee you Biden ain't sending troops and we're not cutting off trade. So why bother pissing them off for no good reason? If we want to improve relations, why ware we doing this?

It's funny. If this would have happened under Trump's admin, you would have been all over it. And don't even try to deny that...
Oh boy. You making the rules now?

This is a BIPARTISAN position. I'm agreeing with the pubs and the Dems. Pubs on this site are taking the same position.

Showing strength and sending clear signs of support to democracies around the world have been going on since we became a nation. Is this new to you?

China flexing in the SCS is could very well BE the reason she went.

I can't believe a member of the party of Reagan doesn't seem to understand the geopolitics involved in this kind of action. Showing strength against Communism? Ring a bell?

Formally recognizing Taiwan changes nothing. Our support would not change. All it would do is create a REAL crisis that doesn't currently exist, despite your histrionics about a 24 hour visit from the speaker.

• Haha

This is a BIPARTISAN position. I'm agreeing with the pubs and the Dems. Pubs on this site are taking the same position.

Showing strength and sending clear signs of support to democracies around the world have been going on since we became a nation. Is this new to you?

I can't believe a member of the party of Reagan doesn't seem to understand the geopolitics involved in this kind of action. Showing strength against Communism? Ring a bell?

Formally recognizing Taiwan changes nothing. Our support would not change. All it would do is create a REAL crisis that doesn't currently exist, despite your histrionics about a 24 hour visit from the speaker.
I understand the geopolitical situation well, thank you very much. If you think sending the Speaker to Taiwan is a show of strength, I can't help you. All this will accomplish is stirring the pot and putting Taiwanese lives at risk as they deter more Chinese flights out of their air defense zone.

What I will agree with is that once China protested Nancy's plans, she had to go. But to go in the first place served no purpose.

While I understand that removing the One China policy would create another crisis, it hasn't served anyone well over the years, other than supporting the massive trade deficit we now have with China. China is nothing more than another Japan of the late 1930's in the making. And we continue to allow it to happen in the name of cheap consumer products.

Reactions: Joetboiler
I understand the geopolitical situation well, thank you very much. If you think sending the Speaker to Taiwan is a show of strength, I can't help you. All this will accomplish is stirring the pot and putting Taiwanese lives at risk as they deter more Chinese flights out of their air defense zone.

What I will agree with is that once China protested Nancy's plans, she had to go. But to go in the first place served no purpose.

While I understand that removing the One China policy would create another crisis, it hasn't served anyone well over the years, other than supporting the massive trade deficit we now have with China. China is nothing more than another Japan of the late 1930's in the making. And we continue to allow it to happen in the name of cheap consumer products.
Taiwan is thriving. There has been no conflict since the policy was put in place 40 years ago. It hasn't served us well?

Wtf does this have to do with the trade deficit?

Recognizing Taiwan will somehow change who China is and their ability to build cheap products for us to buy?

Done with this nonsense.

• Haha
Taiwan is thriving. There has been no conflict since the policy was put in place 40 years ago. It hasn't served us well?

Wtf does this have to do with the trade deficit?

Recognizing Taiwan will somehow change who China is and their ability to build cheap products for us to buy?

Done with this nonsense.
Nonsense? The only reason we acknowledge the One China policy is to keep China happy and keep trade flowing. Had we not gotten into bed with China as strong as we have, we could tell them to fly a kite over Taiwan and recognize Taiwan as a sovereign nation. What other reason would we have for acknowledging to China that they own Taiwan and then telling Taiwan we'll defend them. It doesn't make sense.

The policy will end up backfiring in the next 20 years. But believe what you want.

Showing strength really benefited us and Taiwan...

ADVERTISEMENT