ADVERTISEMENT

Nail in the Coffin?

illiniboiler

All-American
Jun 26, 2001
It keeps getting worse as Purdue plays awful and drops a 13 point decision at home to a Minn team that had lost 5 BT games in a row including one to bottom feeder Illinois tho the Golphers did not have 3 players that game and probably would have beaten the hapless Illini. But Minn was also without their leading scorer and the 5th leading scorer in the BT today.
The Golphers pressed Purdue early who could not handle it at all and went down 16-2, but Purdue fought in the third quarter and tied Minn at 43 and looked like they might have some momentum. The wheels fell off and the wagon broke as the Gophers scored 19 straight to romp as it looked like Purdue was standing still the whole time. Not many times have I seen Versyp sitting down and just staring at the floor at the end of games, but she looked, and her staff, beaten and depressed. Hard to see this team even going to the NIT now and if the AD stays with this staff then it is obvious that WBB at Purdue is not a priority at all. It will be interesting to see but it certain looks more and more like a change has to be made. Harris continued to rebound and block her way into history, but no one else did much and McGlaughlin and Oden seem dispirited and not able to do much. Too bad.

I think the Athletic Dept decided to focus on Football and brought in Brohm to resurrect the main money maker. They’ve let WBB slide
The last few years, but you’re probably right that the end is near.

It keeps getting worse as Purdue plays awful and drops a 13 point decision at home to a Minn team that had lost 5 BT games in a row including one to bottom feeder Illinois tho the Golphers did not have 3 players that game and probably would have beaten the hapless Illini. But Minn was also without their leading scorer and the 5th leading scorer in the BT today.
The Golphers pressed Purdue early who could not handle it at all and went down 16-2, but Purdue fought in the third quarter and tied Minn at 43 and looked like they might have some momentum. The wheels fell off and the wagon broke as the Gophers scored 19 straight to romp as it looked like Purdue was standing still the whole time. Not many times have I seen Versyp sitting down and just staring at the floor at the end of games, but she looked, and her staff, beaten and depressed. Hard to see this team even going to the NIT now and if the AD stays with this staff then it is obvious that WBB at Purdue is not a priority at all. It will be interesting to see but it certain looks more and more like a change has to be made. Harris continued to rebound and block her way into history, but no one else did much and McGlaughlin and Oden seem dispirited and not able to do much. Too bad.

Bobinski stated his case on Versyp:

https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...eason-sharon-versyp-mike-bobinski/3577874002/

I must have missed that tho I vaguely remember some references on the board about her having to produce. Well, the season is not over and you never know, but it certainly looks like this season is headed for the tank so I would assume a new coach is in the offing. If Versyp, who I greatly respect, does turn it around I will be glad but what my eyes see on the court is not encouraging at all.

I’m hoping it’s not Balcomb, because I haven’t seen any impact from her being on staff yet. Thought we might see a more effective offense this year, but no changes from last 10 years. Unless, of course, Versyp has been refusing to allow her input.

Reactions: DavidBoiler
Don't know that I'd call it a nail in the coffin yet. Maybe a flat head screw that is started but can still be removed. Given that there's quite a few games left and the (oddly?) good NET and RPI rankings(hanging around top 25) there is still an opportunity to make something from this season.

Yes, but hard to believe that the same deadly inconsistency won't rear its head again. Impressive win at Nebraska and a stomping of a young but talented PSU team who has a phenomenal scorer. So now we will see if they can handle the tougher games. For some reason, Harris seems more motivated and able to use her quickness and strength to get a lot of close in points. That has to continue and of course the shooting of the vets, Karissa and Oden. They seem to have adjusted to the terrible loss of Farquar, with Grant and Hardin stepping up. Need more from Traylor tho who just seems afraid to shoot. Maybe Versyp will turn this season around, but if she does not, well, we've all said it.

Reactions: DocRon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT