ADVERTISEMENT

Myles Colvin jumps 46 spots into top 100 on Rivals.

As a Purdue fan I don't want Edey shooting 3's unless he can hit them at a 40% + rate. What's the point of being 7'4" in college basketball if your going to stand out at the three point line. I'd rather he shoot 65 -70% from 2 and be in position for a rebound then standing out at the three point line. It makes absolutely no sense.
Agreed. It would be great if he could develop a shot from anywhere outside 5 feet first before looking at him shooting 3s. His FT stroke is good, so I don't know what's holding him back from taking 8-10 foot jumpers.

I think you just proved their point. All of these players were great in college, but outside of Landry didn’t do anything in the NBA.
Painter wants players to come to Purdue to help Purdue win. I'm glad that's the case. As much as we say he gets guys into position to be drafted, they apparently don't have the skills/talent to succeed.

Purdue has had some of its best teams in the last 6 or 7 years and yet Carsen Edwards played in 4 games last year and literally was the only Purdue player to play in the league. Indiana had 6 players, Michigan 11, MSU 7, Ohio State and Maryland 5. Just for reference Georgia Tech had 5 and Duke had 20+.

Ivey will play next year but my guess is If you'd ask Painter he'd say its something he has to overcome at this point.

Last edited:
As a Purdue fan I don't want Edey shooting 3's unless he can hit them at a 40% + rate. What's the point of being 7'4" in college basketball if your going to stand out at the three point line. I'd rather he shoot 65 -70% from 2 and be in position for a rebound then standing out at the three point line. It makes absolutely no sense.
The advantage is how much it opens things up for drivers. It just puts so much more pressure on a defense to have a big guy that can step out.

I don't want him taking a ton of shots from outside, but a couple a game is more than enough to put an opposing D in a tough spot. Just have to be good enough that you are considered a threat so the opposing big has to chase him clear out there.

The advantage is how much it opens things up for drivers. It just puts so much more pressure on a defense to have a big guy that can step out.

I don't want him taking a ton of shots from outside, but a couple a game is more than enough to put an opposing D in a tough spot. Just have to be good enough that you are considered a threat so the opposing big has to chase him clear out there.
Biggie used to do that. When he hit a three you could see the opponents sag psychologially just a bit.

Painter wants players to come to Purdue to help Purdue win. I'm glad that's the case. As much as we say he gets guys into position to be drafted, they apparently don't have the skills/talent to succeed.

Purdue has had some of its best teams in the last 6 or 7 years and yet Carsen Edwards played in 4 games last year and literally was the only Purdue player to play in the league. Indiana had 6 players, Michigan 11, MSU 7, Ohio State and Maryland 5. Just for reference Georgia Tech had 5 and Duke had 20+.

Ivey will play next year but my guess is If you'd ask Painter he'd say its something he has to overcome at this point.
I guess we could also say that Painter has done a really good job with much less top-shelf talent compared to those other schools. Purdue has been as good or better than all of them except Duke.

Zach has paid for the training himself not sure what Painter will do with it IMO it is to show the NBA he can do more now rather than go to the G-League and have them work on it just my opinion no facts. Also Berg measured in over 7" 2' and trust me you want him shooting the 3 a lot a whole lot !

LOL. And who are all these drivers? Purdue's biggest asset will be a 7'4" center who is unstoppable around the rim. So yes, lets get him out on the perimeter where he'll be our best three point shooter. Just stop. It makes no sense..

Zach has paid for the training himself not sure what Painter will do with it IMO it is to show the NBA he can do more now rather than go to the G-League and have them work on it just my opinion no facts. Also Berg measured in over 7" 2' and trust me you want him shooting the 3 a lot a whole lot !
I want him dunking the ball. Do we really need 7 footers shooting 3 balls not being able to get a rebound 20 feet from the rim?

When people ask why Booker jumped so high is because he dominated midway through his high school season and won a state title. Colvin is head and shoulders above the competition in his division and should have won a title based on his abilities alone. If he goes prep this year, watch him jump even further.

I want him dunking the ball. Do we really need 7 footers shooting 3 balls not being able to get a rebound 20 feet from the rim?

Don't necessarily agree as a blanket statement, but Edey shoots 65% from 2 or something stupid. To equal that from 3 he would have to hit 43% or better. I just don't see that as a possibility.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
Don't necessarily agree as a blanket statement, but Edey shoots 65% from 2 or something stupid. To equal that from 3 he would have to hit 43% or better. I just don't see that as a possibility.
If your 7 footer is away from the basket shooting 3s, I don’t get it. Anyone can shoot the 3 ball, but not all can dominate down low ( Edey). I know our 7 footer will be a liability on defense on the perimeter.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
Biggie played the 4.
True. While he did play some at the center position sometimes. Our best rebounder too! The point was, as a front line big, he could take his man out to the line if needed. He would do that at least once a game. It changed the way the opponents center/power forward guarded him.

Reactions: Schnelk
If your 7 footer is away from the basket shooting 3s, I don’t get it. Anyone can shoot the 3 ball, but not all can dominate down low ( Edey). I know our 7 footer will be a liability on defense on the perimeter.

So are you not okay with a 7 footer setting a screen on the perimeter? Because that screen can free up a shooter while the 7 footer is still on the perimeter.

And for Edey specifically, I don't want him shooting 3s because he is too efficient from 2 to make shooting 3s a viable alternative. As I mentioned prior.

Reactions: DAG10 and pboiler18
So are you not okay with a 7 footer setting a screen on the perimeter? Because that screen can free up a shooter while the 7 footer is still on the perimeter.

And for Edey specifically, I don't want him shooting 3s because he is too efficient from 2 to make shooting 3s a viable alternative. As I mentioned prior.
If he can make 40+% of them, why not? If not, no.

Reactions: Indy_Rider

Of course setting a screen on the perimeter is good, but not really a fan of our teams 7footers shooting several 3 balls.

Been saying it for 2 years now. He's a 5 star.
It's fairly obvious that he has the size and skills to be a 5 star. COVID probably hampered his exposure on the AAU circuit, and is probably skewing rankings. Doesn't help that he's playing for a small school either, at a prep school he'd have a much higher ranking

I hated to see Biggie take 3 pointers because if he missed there was nobody down low to get the rebound. Purdue has plenty of other players that can shoot the three. We don’t need 5 3 point shooters on the floor at the same time.
As for Booker he’s not going to buy into any type of red shirt or platoon situation. He’s going to want to start from day 1 and play with the idea of showcasing his talents. He’s not going to want to share the stage with Kaufman, Furst or Edey. I said it before. I believe Edey will be a 4 year boilermaker. The NBA isn’t really looking for old style big men centers at the moment!

Purdue does not have drivers, and, he puts FAR more pressure on a defense if he can successfully post up on the block than he ever possibly will more than 20' from the basket...if I am an opposing team, I would welcome him shooting any shot outside of the lane....gladly...even if he somehow made a couple.

Again, Edey has never played big minutes...he is capable of dominating in the lane/at the rim (although he has a ton of room for improvement with respect to scoring through contact and against physical defenders).

Having a center who can shoot the 3 forces the opponents big out of the paint, opening the lane for drivers.
You have to have drivers (as you of all people know)...or, it is irrelevant. Edey literally should score 25ppg by just posting on the block, as, he should score at will in the paint...he has to get better at finishing, and, using both hands (which he has shown some propensity for).

I guess we could also say that Painter has done a really good job with much less top-shelf talent compared to those other schools. Purdue has been as good or better than all of them except Duke.
Except in the NCAA tournament...

Greg Doyle had a story this week where he said Edey would have been a late 1st round draft pick but didn't want to split time at the end of a bench or G-league. Nick Nurse head coach of the Raptors said he would've drafted Zach this year Zach worked out with him for the Canadian National team last summer. Zach came back to elevate his draft position and his shot at National Player of the year. I have seen private video of him practicing his 3-point shot and guarding smaller guards in the open court BIG things are coming for Purdue and Zach!
Not buying it...not to say that he can't find his way to the NBA at some point maybe, but, not buying it now...he is not nearly good enough offensively, and, he would be abused defensively.

Nice of Nick Nurse to say, but, don't believe it to be true, and, easy to say in that it is a moot point.

Reactions: Handelism
Except in the NCAA tournament...
I don't know, Painter has had his share of problems in the NCAA Tournament. But it seems like in recent years Purdue has done better than Indiana, Maryland, and Georgia Tech, at least. I'm drawing a blank on OSU and Michigan, though I know Beilein had some great March runs. Fair point on Izzo.

Reactions: DAG10
I don't know, Painter has had his share of problems in the NCAA Tournament. But it seems like in recent years Purdue has done better than Indiana, Maryland, and Georgia Tech, at least. I'm drawing a blank on OSU and Michigan, though I know Beilein had some great March runs. Fair point on Izzo.
Not a coincidence that Maryland and Indinia have new coaches, and, Pastner has been on the hot seat it seems like forever, so, while your point is accurate with respect to those particular programs, it is not as if Purdue has lit it up by any means, and, I would agree/contend that the success that it has had is a result indeed of Painter being a better coach than those that were/are there at those particular programs.

Having a center who can shoot the 3 forces the opponents big out of the paint, opening the lane for drivers.
Then why not just play Furst at the 5? He has been a better shooter, has better lateral quickness and has much better handles. I don't think Painter should given the make up of the team but it would make more sense then having Edey hanging around the three point line.

If Painter wants to pull his center away from the basket opening things up for the drive, he needs to recruit different players, because right now our best player thrives when he's within 6 feet of the basket and we don't have anyone who can take their man off the dribble like Ivey or CE where capable of.

Maybe next year we'd see something different if Edey leaves and with Colvin and Gibbs-Lawhorn coming in.

Reactions: DAG10
Then why not just play Furst at the 5? He has been a better shooter, has better lateral quickness and has much better handles. I don't think Painter should given the make up of the team but it would make more sense then having Edey hanging around the three point line.

If Painter wants to pull his center away from the basket opening things up for the drive, he needs to recruit different players, because right now our best player thrives when he's within 6 feet of the basket and we don't have anyone who can take their man off the dribble like Ivey or CE where capable of.

Maybe next year we'd see something different if Edey leaves and with Colvin and Gibbs-Lawhorn coming in.

I definitely think you'll see some lineups with Caleb Furst at the 5. Zach Edey's minutes will go up certainly from last year, but how much more than 30pg will it be? I still think CMP is in a transition phase with his line-up and roster assembly. Now, if ZE is still around next year with Myles Colvin and Dravyn Gibbs-Lawhorn......more options.....usually a good thing.

I still think there will be a couple pleasant surprises this year, but I'm generally an optimist at heart despite the decades of concentrated doses of Boilerepherine. :)

Good insights from Kyle Guy on Colvin. Sounds like he has a body like a man but still learning how to use it against bigger competition.

I do hope he goes to a prep school this fall and gets a chance to refine his bag before he comes on campus.

Good insights from Kyle Guy on Colvin. Sounds like he has a body like a man but still learning how to use it against bigger competition.

I do hope he goes to a prep school this fall and gets a chance to refine his bag before he comes on campus.

I just did a quick look at this Pro-Am he's playing in and a box score had names like Gary Harris, Kelan Martin, Aaron Henry, and Kyle Guy in it. Holding his own against former All Conference B1G, ACC, and Big East pros should obliterate the common knock that he isn't ranked higher due to playing a weak AAU circuit.

True. While he did play some at the center position sometimes. Our best rebounder too! The point was, as a front line big, he could take his man out to the line if needed. He would do that at least once a game. It changed the way the opponents center/power forward guarded him.
Biggie played more 5 than 4 his sophomore year. IH started 15 games that year alongside Biggie. The remaining 20, including the whole back half of the season, Biggie played center.

Even in the games where IH started, Biggie slid over to the 5 when Haas came out. Biggie played almost 33 mpg that year, IH played less than 20 mpg on average. I'm actually not sure that there was another center on that roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT