ADVERTISEMENT

My guess would be that the decreased funds to the Athletic Dept...

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
would mean that Coach Versyp is safe for another year. With the department having a huge drop in revenues (around 38% of last year’s NCAA distribution if I understand this week’s news) I cannot imagine Purdue entering a market for a new (and excellent) WBB coach at this time. Not when Bobinski is talking about possibly dropping or suspending sports and laying off coaches.

And now people are projecting the likelihood of fall sports being canceled. Yikes.

With our athletic department being funded 100% by private donors, why should the department ever invest more money in a program that can’t cover its own expenses regardless of wins and losses? I understand investing to make money. Hiring a premier coach in this case would be spending to lose, and lose, and lose some more, all while hoping our core revenue generating programs can carry the annual shortfall. My comments aren’t centered around the argument that men’s sports are superior. Purely a finances based position.

With our athletic department being funded 100% by private donors, why should the department ever invest more money in a program that can’t cover its own expenses regardless of wins and losses? I understand investing to make money. Hiring a premier coach in this case would be spending to lose, and lose, and lose some more, all while hoping our core revenue generating programs can carry the annual shortfall. My comments aren’t centered around the argument that men’s sports are superior. Purely a finances based position.
Well by your logic the only sports the AD would support would be football and MBB since all other sports lose money. That would surely raise Purdue's status in the sports world and B1G.

Reactions: Boilermakerdad
Tell me doc, how is women’s basketball enhancing our status right now? With said status, we should be able to monetize that contribution, right? If WBB was out producing MBB I would absolutely suggest that is where we should focus dollars. It’s not and likely never will. Spending on a new coach would be a foolish use of JPC and department funds.

Tell me doc, how is women’s basketball enhancing our status right now? With said status, we should be able to monetize that contribution, right? If WBB was out producing MBB I would absolutely suggest that is where we should focus dollars. It’s not and likely never will. Spending on a new coach would be a foolish use of JPC and department funds.
Even the best in the country WBB do not make money. You are holding us to a standard that will never happen. The B1G requires us to have sports beyond MBB and FB. if we must have them, then we want them to be competitive. If we do not spend money on good coaches it will never be the case. Unfortunately, I do not see that our AD will have the money to do that this year when in all likelihood the WBB would have made the NCAA Tournament this year (and the MBB would have not.)

Even the best in the country WBB do not make money. You are holding us to a standard that will never happen. The B1G requires us to have sports beyond MBB and FB. if we must have them, then we want them to be competitive. If we do not spend money on good coaches it will never be the case. Unfortunately, I do not see that our AD will have the money to do that this year when in all likelihood the WBB would have made the NCAA Tournament this year (and the MBB would have not.)

The number two person in the AD just resigned to take a job in Seattle at UW. He was the person in charge of the day to day operations of the athletic department.

Doc- you’re absolutely correct and I don’t dispute the point that we need to carry athletic teams that don’t make money. The university is better off for it. We also can’t be fools and let teams that don’t make money spend continue to build greater deficits. Firing the current coach is a poor financial decision. We need to put our money into the programs that make money. The remainder of the student athletes all benefit. If we are going to spend money to increase the salary pool for a program that loses money, why not reward Dave Shondell and his staff. They are consistently ranked in the top 25 and Holloway Gymnasium is always at capacity for their matches. I would argue they are raising the university’s athletic profile more than women’s basketball.

would mean that Coach Versyp is safe for another year. With the department having a huge drop in revenues (around 38% of last year’s NCAA distribution if I understand this week’s news) I cannot imagine Purdue entering a market for a new (and excellent) WBB coach at this time. Not when Bobinski is talking about possibly dropping or suspending sports and laying off coaches.

And now people are projecting the likelihood of fall sports being canceled. Yikes.

Sports are going to look different after this, but, college sports will look much different,

I guess if you can't keep your job on your merits, then a pandemic works as well as anything.

At least there may be a pay cut for her.

Nothing like a pandemic to save your job:rolleyes:

Sports are going to look different after this, but, college sports will look much different,

I guess if you can't keep your job on your merits, then a pandemic works as well as anything.

At least there may be a pay cut for her.

They talk about games without fans. That will be Purdue WBB, even if fans are allowed.

Reactions: DAG10 and Carolsh
Usually one of the top wbb attendance in the country.....
Imagine what it would be like if they had a quality coach and the program was at the level that it was when the present one inherited it.

Imagine what it would be like if they had a quality coach and the program was at the level that it was when the present one inherited it.

You want to go back to probation? Is that a big draw?

I meant actual attendance. This year looked like about 2500. Not close to the 6700 that’s reported

They report it the exact same way they always have. The numbers are inflated now and they were inflated in 2003 also.

Reactions: DocRon
Almost everyone does it. I have been to games at MSU where there were clearly a few hundred attending and the reported attendance was several thousand.

Maybe they do, but my point was really that Purdue’s attendance has dropped precipitously . And interest in the program has
Fallen off The charts. It won’t be improving any time soon.

Maybe they do, but my point was really that Purdue’s attendance has dropped precipitously . And interest in the program has
Fallen off The charts. It won’t be improving any time soon.

My point is that it's still among the best in the nation.

Reactions: jwbbfan
You want to go back to probation? Is that a big draw?
What I would really like to see the program go back to is being (remotely) relevant opposed to an afterthought...I would love for that to happen on a national scale again, but, at the moment, in that it is not only not the case in the conference, much less the state, I think starting there at the state-level might be nice...and as long as Versyp remains (especially while McGraw and Moren are in place), Purdue will just become more irrelevant at each level unfortunately.

What I would really like to see the program go back to is being (remotely) relevant opposed to an afterthought...I would love for that to happen on a national scale again, but, at the moment, in that it is not only not the case in the conference, much less the state, I think starting there at the state-level might be nice...and as long as Versyp remains (especially while McGraw and Moren are in place), Purdue will just become more irrelevant at each level unfortunately.

Notre Dame is one of the top 5 programs in the country and has been that way for about 20 years now. There's no shame being behind them in any pecking order.

Notre Dame is one of the top 5 programs in the country and has been that way for about 20 years now. There's no shame being behind them in any pecking order.
Notre Dame was behind Purdue for a long time in that pecking order...since you mentioned it, look at the last 20 years and see where that changed, never mind to the degree that it has, and, see who was at the helm when the disparity became the greatest.

Further, while maybe no shame in being behind them in the pecking order (despite again it not being the case previously), it absolutely is a shame to not just be behind IU, but, falling behind more and more.

Notre Dame was behind Purdue for a long time in that pecking order...since you mentioned it, look at the last 20 years and see where that changed, never mind to the degree that it has, and, see who was at the helm when the disparity became the greatest.

Further, while maybe no shame in being behind them in the pecking order (despite again it not being the case previously), it absolutely is a shame to not just be behind IU, but, falling behind more and more.

2001 national title game?

Reactions: jwbbfan

The reality is, ND loses a bunch of money on women’s hoops, and right now we don’t have the extra cash to burn that they do.

The reality is, ND loses a bunch of money on women’s hoops, and right now we don’t have the extra cash to burn that they do.

The reality is that Notre Dame values having an outstanding wbb basketball program and supports the program accordingly knowing the better the program the more money that is generated both directly and indirectly. Btw, their wbb head coach is an endowed position.
https://news.nd.edu/news/karen-and-...ame-head-womens-basketball-coaching-position/

Reactions: Gesysp and DAG10
The reality is that Notre Dame values having an outstanding wbb basketball program and supports the program accordingly knowing the better the program the more money that is generated both directly and indirectly. Btw, their wbb head coach is an endowed position.
https://news.nd.edu/news/karen-and-...ame-head-womens-basketball-coaching-position/

You can step up any day and endow our wbb head coaching position. They would probably even let you pick your own coach for such a gift.

I’d have to see all these indirect revenues to believe they come anywhere close to breaking even with that program. Especially since the endowment was only $5 million.

And again, they have football money to burn. They can “value” an outstanding women’s croquet team if they so desire.

Look- I would love to see the women’s BB program improve, but I don’t know how realistic it is, while we’re still in the “investment” phase of football.

I’d have to see all these indirect revenues to believe they come anywhere close to breaking even with that program. Especially since the endowment was only $5 million.

And again, they have football money to burn. They can “value” an outstanding women’s croquet team if they so desire.

Look- I would love to see the women’s BB program improve, but I don’t know how realistic it is, while we’re still in the “investment” phase of football.

Well, I sure as hell know the difference between losing $1 million or moreover on wbb with a overpaid, over the hill coach of 14 years and a team people do not enjoy watching OR losing $500K on a improving team with a younger, hungry coach who makes $250k less than the one we have. And attracts a new group of paying fans who see promise in the team. In case you missed it, that is $500k saved.

Well, I sure as hell know the difference between losing $1 million or moreover on wbb with a overpaid, over the hill coach of 14 years and a team people do not enjoy watching OR losing $500K on a improving team with a younger, hungry coach who makes $250k less than the one we have. And attracts a new group of paying fans who see promise in the team. In case you missed it, that is $500k saved.

And of course this is a well thought-out hypothetical with valid analysis and assumptions. Or perhaps it is Year 10 of destewart throwing out a bunch of unrelated numbers and hoping something correlates into what he wants it to......... :rolleyes:

ND lost $2.8 million on women’s BB last year. Where would we get the additional cash to further subsidize our program?

$140 million in athletic donations (a record) including monies from men’s and women’s basketball alumni to support construction of new practice facilities.
https://und.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/AthleticAnnualReport_2018_3.pdf

That's all ND is about now-$$$. I know 2 guys that work for them and they travel the country visiting rich alumni and recruiting their children to go to school there.
Although it is smart to do for future contributions.
My friend knows 2 deans that recently retired because they were fed up with
the whole money first attitude that permeates ND.
I hope Purdue thrives but never becomes like this. If were doomed to live with Versyp's mediocrity, so be it.

ADVERTISEMENT