ADVERTISEMENT

My favorite thing about Smith...

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
As most of you know, i was less than excited about the Smith offer and quick acceptance. But, I'm happy to say he's proven me wrong, and has actually exceeded my expectations so far. The Crow is good.
The thing I like the most about him is his looking to score. So many of our PGs have been 'pass first' and it was almost as if they were afraid to shoot ( I see this in Morton), but Smith has been aggressive, looking for his shot, looking to get his own shot, etc.
As teams get more film and he's scouted, the D will adjust. It'll be interesting to see how he counters what the D throws at him.

As most of you know, i was less than excited about the Smith offer and quick acceptance. But, I'm happy to say he's proven me wrong, and has actually exceeded my expectations so far. The Crow is good.
The thing I like the most about him is his looking to score. So many of our PGs have been 'pass first' and it was almost as if they were afraid to shoot ( I see this in Morton), but Smith has been aggressive, looking for his shot, looking to get his own shot, etc.
As teams get more film and he's scouted, the D will adjust. It'll be interesting to see how he counters what the D throws at him.
I even like him shooting foul shots. He just gets the ball and shoots with no second thoughts. He missed one, but he looks like he can be one of those automatic makers. We don't get lots of those players. Time will tell. Confidence is strong with this one Obi-Wan. I like.

I even like him shooting foul shots. He just gets the ball and shoots with no second thoughts. He missed one, but he looks like he can be one of those automatic makers. We don't get lots of those players. Time will tell. Confidence is strong with this one Obi-Wan. I like.
So Painter did okay. Went with his own eyes and ignored the low number of stars and lack of P5 offers. Almost like he knows talent when he sees it.

I like how he hasn't let the college game intimidate him as a freshman. He's not afraid to dribble while being smart about when and how he attacks. He trusts his instincts. A lot of his turnovers are just carelessness and telegraphing passes which hopefully we see improve by the end of the year.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Painter has ran some plays for him where everyone clears out to opens up the lane. Mostly with Furst and TKR playing.

You say that when he is scouted well he might be less effective? ...or he will need to adjust? Gee Whiz, I thought he was scouted by the very best of all coaches, Shaka Smart, and yet Braden still managed to control the game and dominate Smart's team.

:cool:

That's why I don't believe in development of the player. If you are good, you will show it at freshman year just like what baby boilers did.
True a lot of the time, but there are a lot of exceptions. My favorite was Mr. Beach. What a load he became after he developed into a physical monster.

Reactions: icewind7
He is a pass first player. He will tell you that as well. He will tell you he enjoys getting shots for other players more than himself. That said, he can score and will do so as needed. He is a threat at all three levels. Had he had last years team, the ball would have been in his hands the most and the team would have been better for it.

There were many skeptics when I first mentioned him...and rightfully so. The size, star power and "publicised list" of schools would make many skeptical, but I fell in love with his play the first time I saw him and then in the Carmel sectional he was a sensation along with some really hot streaks by Haffner. He is a freshman and will make mistakes, but he also is a confident, fiesty, skillful and good athlete to lead the team...which he does well.

Reactions: buffboiler
So Painter did okay. Went with his own eyes and ignored the low number of stars and lack of P5 offers. Almost like he knows talent when he sees it.
I never asked to know this as a fact, but I suspect Terry Johnson started the chain reaction. I do know that Terry saw a player that really "controlled the game" moreso than the typical fan that looks at points most often.

Reactions: buffboiler
Finding a diamond in the rough here and there who works out well isn't a sustainable long term recruiting strategy.

I like how he hasn't let the college game intimidate him as a freshman. He's not afraid to dribble while being smart about when and how he attacks. He trusts his instincts. A lot of his turnovers are just carelessness and telegraphing passes which hopefully we see improve by the end of the year.
Some of those TOs are just him not being used to how quickly the D can recover or get into a passing lane. That's just something that'll come with more time against college players.

You say that when he is scouted well he might be less effective? ...or he will need to adjust? Gee Whiz, I thought he was scouted by the very best of all coaches, Shaka Smart, and yet Braden still managed to control the game and dominate Smart's team.

weak sauce dude. You get an "A" for effort though.

Reactions: mathboy
Some of those TOs are just him not being used to how quickly the D can recover or get into a passing lane. That's just something that'll come with more time against college players.

Hopefully even with the turnovers at times, we all realize the point position will usually have more, because they have the ball in their hands more. Some people never grasp that concept.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Hopefully even with the turnovers at times, we all realize the point position will usually have more, because they have the ball in their hands more. Some people never grasp that concept.
I don't mind TOs from a PG who's trying to create. That's why the A to TO ratio people would reference in regards to someone like PJ Thompson was irrelevant because he was basically responsible for dumping it into the post or passing to a shooter coming off the screen.

I don't mind TOs from a PG who's trying to create. That's why the A to TO ratio people would reference in regards to someone like PJ Thompson was irrelevant because he was basically responsible for dumping it into the post or passing to a shooter coming off the screen.

PJs assist to turnover ratio was insane though, like 4to1.

Finding a diamond in the rough here and there who works out well isn't a sustainable long term recruiting strategy.
Not sure what "diamonds in the rough" you are talking about. Smith and Furst are Indiana Mr. Basketballs. Loyer and TKR were second in the voting for MBB. Most of our centers have been pretty well recruited, Hammonds, Haas, etc. Let's look at Ivey and Edwards... in the rough? Really?

You are right about the "diamonds in the rough" approach being not so sustainable, which is why we have experienced sustained success, once past the Cordoba years. Obviously we have a coach that knows his talent, does his own evaluations, and gets enough of the talent to keep us in the top of the basketball world.

I like him to handle full court pressure in the past our guards had big problems just bringing the ball up court

PJs assist to turnover ratio was insane though, like 4to1.
But that's my point. All PJ did was either dump it into a 7 footer in the post or hit a shooter curling off a screen. He wasn't someone who got assists because he helped others get open, they were already open. He was the product of the system, not his skill set.

But that's my point. All PJ did was either dump it into a 7 footer in the post or hit a shooter curling off a screen. He wasn't someone who got assists because he helped others get open, they were already open. He was the product of the system, not his skill set.
The would mean that every player that passed through would achieve a 4/1.
You're not wrong in that he was not a facilitator especially.
But you are wrong about it not being a skill.
Or everyone would do it. ;)

Reactions: Inspector100
Not sure what "diamonds in the rough" you are talking about. Smith and Furst are Indiana Mr. Basketballs. Loyer and TKR were second in the voting for MBB. Most of our centers have been pretty well recruited, Hammonds, Haas, etc. Let's look at Ivey and Edwards... in the rough? Really?

You are right about the "diamonds in the rough" approach being not so sustainable, which is why we have experienced sustained success, once past the Cordoba years. Obviously we have a coach that knows his talent, does his own evaluations, and gets enough of the talent to keep us in the top of the basketball world.

"Top of the basketball world"? How so?

We're a consistent Top 20-30 program (not Top 10) that hasn't been to a FF in over 40 years. How is that the Top of the basketball world?

Reactions: BoilerDeac
The would mean that every player that passed through would achieve a 4/1.
You're not wrong in that he was not a facilitator especially.
But you are wrong about it not being a skill.
Or everyone would do it. ;)
It's not a skill. Any kid playing PG in college, at almost any level, should be able to throw the ball into a 7 footer or hit a guy coming off a screen. There's nothing unique about that.

It's not a skill. Any kid playing PG in college, at almost any level, should be able to throw the ball into a 7 footer or hit a guy coming off a screen. There's nothing unique about that.
The only ones on this team that have shown that they can do it are Morton, Gillis, and Smith. That is why Morton and Gillis play more than some fans would like.

or a few.
Holy smokes, I'm debating basketball with bonefish.

giphy.gif

show me the many others that have done it then..........
Show me a team that runs their offense through the low post or shoots a ton of 3's and I'll give you a pg who has a high ATO ratio. Seriously...it aint that hard. In fact, it probably requires the least amount of skill needed by a guard.

The only ones on this team that have shown that they can do it are Morton, Gillis, and Smith. That is why Morton and Gillis play more than some fans would like.
Morton and Gillis are also two guys who aren't able to get their own shot, so they're pretty limited in what they can do. Shot the open 3 or dump it into Edey. That's about it.

Reactions: johnboiler123

List of Purdue Diamonds, unranked guys who turned out ok.....
Kramer
Edey
Dakota
PJT
Ryne Smith
Kelsey Barlow
DJ Ryd
SS

guysunranked when CMP started recruitment who possibly got ranked later, before they came to Purdue....
Tre Williams
Smith
Cline

Was going to add more but others can complete the list.

Last edited:
List of Purdue Diamonds, unranked guys who turned out ok.....
Kramer
Edey
Dakota
PJT
Ryne Smith
Kelsey Barlow
DJ Ryd
SS

guysunranked when CMP started recruitment who possibly got ranked later, before they came to Purdue....
Tre Williams
Smith
Cline

Was going to add more but others can complete the list.
Pretty subjective don't you think?
Kramer? OK, defensive specielist.
Edey: agreed
Mathias: agree
PJT: No
Ryne Smith; no
Kelsey Barlow: washout
Byrd: seriously?
Sasha: King of disappearing in big games.

my favorite thing is he's already better than the last Smith we had.

my favorite thing is he's already better than the last Smith we had.
There is a lot to like in his game...even when and he will make a freshman mistake. Team left at 11:30 today and hopefully adjusted by Thursday night.

ADVERTISEMENT