ADVERTISEMENT

My ‘20 wish list (I got time today)

StickPurdue

Junior
Sep 17, 2016
Indianapolis
This isn’t a complete list and it is a somewhat realistic list. I am going to break it down with folks that have offers or could get offers and section it off by State. It is a down year for Indiana as compared to last year. With the rebuild of Louisville and rise of Kentucky, it will be harder to poach there. The list will be a little more accurate after the camps, these are just some of the early wish list folks.

I will start with the State that will make or break Purdue’s class ranking: Michigan.

1) Justin Rogers. I think he wants to play DT, but is currently listed as a Guard. Both are huge needs. If we get him, it’s purely because of the effort of Eron Hodges and Grant/Graham recruiting him. Ohio State is the favorite, but if Day slips up and Purdue over achieves, I would say we have a shot. He is an absolute monster and likely sits as Purdue’s top priority. Winning a top national recruit in the back yard of Michigan who is a top target of OSU as well would be worthy of throwing a parade.

2) Rashawn “Trouble” Williams is one of the best receivers in the nation. 6’1 185 and has ridiculous highlights. He is very similar to Bell. He has shown some Purdue love and Maliq Carr has posted some pro Purdue stuff on his timeline recruiting him as well. They retweeted each other’s Purdue posts a few weeks back.

3) Penny Boone 6’2 225 RB. I know Purdue has looked at him for a while and he has some nice offers. Has a CB pick for Tennessee

4) Maliq Carr. 6’6 WR!! Would be a high priority in his own right, but he could be the tipping piece for Williams/Rogers. I think we have a decent chance with him. Think Purdue should have him as a top priority.

5) Craig Rush 6’4 350+ OG out of Cass Tech Michigan. This dude is a monster. Not rated, but once he starts dominating the camps, he will get raited and start pulling in nice offers.

Illinois:

1) AJ Henning. The number one player out of Illinois. He is an offensive weapon. Could be RB/WR. 5’10 175 and top 100 player. Not sure how many WRs Brohm takes, but he might take 3 if they can fill other needs.

2) Denver Warren. DT 6’1 300. Top 500 player that is going to climb the rankings. Purdue will have to battle all the big boys for this young man.

2) Jadon Thompson. 6’2 160 WR. Has a crystal ball pick for Purdue and has been very pro Purdue on twitter. Also said he would be playing with AJ Henning. So it may be a package deal. If they do want to play as a duo at Purdue, then it may put pressure on Carr and Williams or them to commit early.

Indiana:

1) Cole Brevard - DT our of Carmel. A national level recruit with offers from everybody. Will be a tough sell, but you need guys like him on the DL. Landing top DT talent allows Purdue to keep GK on the outside.

2) Gus Hartwig / Josh Fryer. Both are instate centers. Won’t take both, and either one would be a nice addition. I would say Purdue has to one one of these two guys. Cole may be the priority, but these guys are 1a.

3) Ty Wise, 6’2 OLB. Linebackers are a pretty big need. Another Carmel kid too. Had a decent year last year and should have a nice senior season.

4) Ryan Brandt 6’1 safety out of Angola. Has a crystal ball pick for Purdue.

5) Randy Holtz a big tackle (OT) out of Fort Wayne. Purdue will need OL help. Not currently ranked but somebody to watch.

Edit - 2/17
6) Luke Wigington (OT) out of Bishop Dwenger - Fort Wayne 6’5 275. Picked up a few offers this week, including a Purdue offer.

Kentucky:

1) Vito Tisdale: 6’1 185 safety. Will be a tough pull because the instate programs are all in. But he has had some nice things to say about Purdue. Looks like he wants to pair up with Izaya Cummings who is a Louisville lean.

2) John Young: 6’6 OT. Probably the number one priority out of Kentucky. Has a crystal ball pick for Kentucky. Purdue will need help from Milton Wright, a former teammate.

3) Izaya Cummings: 6’3 WR Louisville lean with a crystal ball pick for Louisville and many pro Louisville tweets.

Ohio:

Purdue May end up prioritizing somebody out of Ohio, but I wouldn’t be able to guess it. Michigan and OSU are battling it out for the vast majority of the top Ohio prospects. Maybe a late bloomer will show up, or this may be a “nobody from Ohio” year.

Edit: I’ll add in Ricky Hyatt here. 6’2 187 CB and ran a 4.46 Forty. Showed out at a best of the Midwest combine and gotten 13 offers since January. Has the size and speed Brohm likes at the CB position.

Some others of interest to me:

Kendal Septs 6’3 330 OG out of Texas. Doesn’t have an offer yet, I don’t think, but was followed by some Purdue coaches. Could see one thrown his way.

Tate Johnson 6’4 300 lb OG out of Georgia. His offer list isn’t up to date as he has been getting some attention from P5 schools. Definitely one to watch.

Last edited:
That for the great information and insight.

I did have a question on Indiana though. You did not list David Baker, WR, who I think knows Bell very well. Is he not listed due to you thinking the other WRs commits will commit,and there will not open scholarships, or you do not rank him that high?

That for the great information and insight.

I did have a question on Indiana though. You did not list David Baker, WR, who I think knows Bell very well. Is he not listed due to you thinking the other WRs commits will commit,and there will not open scholarships, or you do not rank him that high?

The other WRs I listed all have a pull to bring in other elite recruits. That puts them higher on the priority list imo. Think Purdue takes 2 (or 3 if they can fill other needs). Purdue should have it’s pick of their WR targets. In years past, Baker would have been a top target.

Reactions: Boilermaker24
This isn’t a complete list and it is a somewhat realistic list. I am going to break it down with folks that have offers or could get offers and section it off by State. It is a down year for Indiana as compared to last year. With the rebuild of Louisville and rise of Kentucky, it will be harder to poach there. The list will be a little more accurate after the camps, these are just some of the early wish list folks.

I will start with the State that will make or break Purdue’s class ranking: Michigan.

1) Justin Rogers. I think he wants to play DT, but is currently listed as a Guard. Both are huge needs. If we get him, it’s purely because of the effort of Eron Hodges and Grant/Graham recruiting him. Ohio State is the favorite, but if Day slips up and Purdue over achieves, I would say we have a shot. He is an absolute monster and likely sits as Purdue’s top priority. Winning a top national recruit in the back yard of Michigan who is a top target of OSU as well would be worthy of throwing a parade.

2) Rashawn “Trouble” Williams is one of the best receivers in the nation. 6’1 185 and has ridiculous highlights. He is very similar to Bell. He has shown some Purdue love and Maliq Carr has posted some pro Purdue stuff on his timeline recruiting him as well. They retweeted each other’s Purdue posts a few weeks back.

3) Penny Boone 6’2 225 RB. I know Purdue has looked at him for a while and he has some nice offers. Has a CB pick for Tennessee

4) Maliq Carr. 6’6 WR!! Would be a high priority in his own right, but he could be the tipping piece for Williams/Rogers. I think we have a decent chance with him. Think Purdue should have him as a top priority.

5) Craig Rush 6’4 350+ OG out of Cass Tech Michigan. This dude is a monster. Not rated, but once he starts dominating the camps, he will get raited and start pulling in nice offers.

Illinois:

1) AJ Henning. The number one player out of Illinois. He is an offensive weapon. Could be RB/WR. 5’10 175 and top 100 player. Not sure how many WRs Brohm takes, but he might take 3 if they can fill other needs.

2) Denver Warren. DT 6’1 300. Top 500 player that is going to climb the rankings. Purdue will have to battle all the big boys for this young man.

2) Jadon Thompson. 6’2 160 WR. Has a crystal ball pick for Purdue and has been very pro Purdue on twitter. Also said he would be playing with AJ Henning. So it may be a package deal. If they do want to play as a duo at Purdue, then it may put pressure on Carr and Williams or them to commit early.

Indiana:

1) Cole Brevard - DT our of Carmel. A national level recruit with offers from everybody. Will be a tough sell, but you need guys like him on the DL. Landing top DT talent allows Purdue to keep GK on the outside.

2) Gus Hartwig / Josh Fryer. Both are instate centers. Won’t take both, and either one would be a nice addition. I would say Purdue has to one one of these two guys. Cole may be the priority, but these guys are 1a.

3) Ty Wise, 6’2 OLB. Linebackers are a pretty big need. Another Carmel kid too. Had a decent year last year and should have a nice senior season.

5) Randy Holtz a big tackle (OT) out of Fort Wayne. Purdue will need OL help. Not currently ranked but somebody to watch.

Kentucky:

1) Vito Tisdale: 6’1 185 safety. Will be a tough pull because the instate programs are all in. But he has had some nice things to say about Purdue. Looks like he wants to pair up with Izaya Cummings who is a Louisville lean.

2) John Young: 6’6 OT. Probably the number one priority out of Kentucky. Has a crystal ball pick for Kentucky. Purdue will need help from Milton Wright, a former teammate.

3) Izaya Cummings: 6’3 WR Louisville lean with a crystal ball pick for Louisville and many pro Louisville tweets.

Ohio:

Purdue May end up prioritizing somebody out of Ohio, but I wouldn’t be able to guess it. Michigan and OSU are battling it out for the vast majority of the top Ohio prospects. Maybe a late bloomer will show up, or this may be a “nobody from Ohio” year.

Kendal Septs 6’3 330 OG out of Texas. Doesn’t have an offer yet, I don’t think, but was followed by some Purdue coaches. Could see one thrown his way.

Tate Johnson 6’4 300 lb OG out of Georgia. His offer list isn’t up to date as he has been getting some attention from P5 schools. Definitely one to watch.
Man. You did have some time today, didn't you!

Nice work Stick. Thanks.
I seen this morning our friend Justin Rogers has moved up to the #10 spot on Rivals top 2020 recruits.

Last edited:

Illinois:

Indiana:

Edit - 2/17
6) Luke Wigington (OT) out of Bishop Dwenger - Fort Wayne 6’5 275. Picked up a few offers this week, including a Purdue offer.

Kentucky:

Ohio:

Edit: I’ll add in Ricky Hyatt here. 6’2 187 CB and ran a 4.46 Forty. Showed out at a best of the Midwest combine and gotten 13 offers since January. Has the size and speed Brohm likes at the CB position.

a great list. I would agree with Stick that I don't believe this class will have very many receivers. I would say 2, 3 at most. I'd like to see Williams and Thompson. Henning would be nice as a combo rb/wr. I also believe with a new DB coach, and after signing a bunch of quality DBs the past 2 years, Purdue will probably not recruit many DBs. Maybe he's already established some relationships while at Auburn. I'd love to see Brohm work his magic and sign some elite offensive linemen. Brohm has proven he can reel in elite athletes at other positions. I'm confident he can land some elite linemen.

the two biggest recruiting factors will be winning and seeing how much the players of the last two classes contribute. An 8-4 season will go a long way to legitimize Purdue as a power and help it compete against Michigan and OSU for the top talent. let's face it, we're no longer competing against Toledo, Marshall, and Western Michigan for our players. To persuade these players away from Michigan and OSU, we need to prove we are just as good.

Reactions: tenwest
247 has a recent article that Bryce Austin DT from Michigan names Purdue his leader, with Michigan and Michigan St (both of whom have offered) rounding out the top 3. That'd be a really nice get.

Michael Redding has also setup a visit to Purdue in March and has posted some nice Purdue things.

#2 on your list. Let's go!!

Purdue had a boatload of Michigan talent in for the weekend. Penny Boone, Trouble, a WR from Cass Tech (Brent Parker), and Makari Paige. Pulling Boone, Trouble, and Paige would be a really good thing. Not sure if Purdue lands Rogers or Austin, but DT is going to be a big need. I saw there was an article on Austin about Michigan and Michigan State battling for Austin. Pay wall kept me from seeing exactly what it was though. I know a lot of the big dogs are on Rogers, and I think to win him it would take a full court press from Hodges and the other Michigan folks.

Reactions: tenwest and SKYDOG
Purdue had a boatload of Michigan talent in for the weekend. Penny Boone, Trouble, a WR from Cass Tech (Brent Parker), and Makari Paige. Pulling Boone, Trouble, and Paige would be a really good thing. Not sure if Purdue lands Rogers or Austin, but DT is going to be a big need. I saw there was an article on Austin about Michigan and Michigan State battling for Austin. Pay wall kept me from seeing exactly what it was though. I know a lot of the big dogs are on Rogers, and I think to win him it would take a full court press from Hodges and the other Michigan folks.
Austin said Purdue was his favorite in the article. Michigan and Michigan State round out the top 3.

247 has a recent article that Bryce Austin DT from Michigan names Purdue his leader, with Michigan and Michigan St (both of whom have offered) rounding out the top 3. That'd be a really nice get.

Michael Redding has also setup a visit to Purdue in March and has posted some nice Purdue things.

Michael Redding's coach at IMG is Desmond Tardy!

I actually think the 2020 class will have more highly rated players than 2019 but will rank lower, especially if Purdue can only sign 16 - 18 recruits.

it's highly possible. I'm not a tremendous fan of the formula that is used that multiplies the player ratings by the number of recruits. I believe this class will have more 4* players, and maybe a 5*, and the average ranking will be higher. We already have 2 linebackers counting against the total and the ranking, and we might end up with a grad transfer o-lineman against this class as well depending on our Spring game. They will bring our overall ranking down.

4 star ILB visiting this weekend. High school teammate of Kyle Bilodeau who is also recruiting him to Purdue. Offered in November..

KB and KB’s Dad have been recruiting that young man very hard. I believe he was teammates with Kyle and Virginia is a very good place to have a pipeline. I think I read in the last 10 years no state has put more folks in the NFL. So it would be a very big deal to land him at a position of great need. Outside of DL and OL, I think the linebacker position is the greatest point of need.

Reactions: ChuckJr
KB and KB’s Dad have been recruiting that young man very hard. I believe he was teammates with Kyle and Virginia is a very good place to have a pipeline. I think I read in the last 10 years no state has put more folks in the NFL. So it would be a very big deal to land him at a position of great need. Outside of DL and OL, I think the linebacker position is the greatest point of need.

Virginia has not put more players into the NFL than states like TX, FL, GA, CA. Maybe not ven as many as AL, LA, MS.

IMHO 2020 will be the best class so far in the Brohm era. The talent level of the prospects visiting has never been higher and we are in great shape with many talemted recruits. I think attrition will occur and we will end taking a class of 20 or more. Again, this is just my opinion, but given the obvious need to continue upgrading both lines I think a 2020 class could break down something like this: 5 O-line, 4 D-Line, 3 LB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 S, 1-2 CB, 1 QB and maybe a TE. Brohm will be taking the best talent he can get so none of this is an exact science at this point.

Another rising talent we offered in January was 2020 OG Luke Kandra. He had a great Junior season and is starting to collect Division I offers. He is a big boy at 6'4. 290lbs. We will see how he does on the camp circuit but he has a Purdue offer and 247Sports has him warm on us.

https://247sports.com/player/luke-kandra-46056468/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cincinnati.com/amp/2797011002

Reactions: ChuckJr
Virginia has not put more players into the NFL than states like TX, FL, GA, CA. Maybe not ven as many as AL, LA, MS.

It's a little old, but this article has data for how many NFL players each state has produced and how many per capita. Virginia is nowhere near the top of either list. Florida, not surprisingly is high on both lists. And if you want to make the NFL, don't let your mom give birth to you in Alaska, Maine, Vermont, or Rhode Island.

Forgot the link. Here it is: https://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2017/09/florida_georgia_lead_new_ranki.html

Bryce Austin just posted a picture on Twitter with Ian Stewart (top 500 6’3 WR out of Michigan) in Purdue gear on a visit. Used the #20kgold, which is a good hashtag to follow. A lot of the ‘20 class retweet edits and stuff.

247Sports has Bryce Austin as 100% Purdue right now. We will see I guess. Would be a great pickup.

Speaking of Ian Stewart and another great pickup. This is from today. He is still favored for Michigan overall, but our percentage is increasing.

Another Crystal Ball pick for Purdue
VIP By ALLEN TRIEU 3 hours ago

I have flipped my Crystal Ball from Michigan to Purdue for Rockwood (Mich.) Gibraltar Carlson 2020 wide receiver Ian Stewart.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
247Sports has Bryce Austin as 100% Purdue right now. We will see I guess. Would be a great pickup.

Speaking of Ian Stewart and another great pickup. This is from today. He is still favored for Michigan overall, but our percentage is increasing.

Another Crystal Ball pick for Purdue
VIP By ALLEN TRIEU 3 hours ago

I have flipped my Crystal Ball from Michigan to Purdue for Rockwood (Mich.) Gibraltar Carlson 2020 wide receiver Ian Stewart.
Looks very athletic. My only worry is that if he's truly a WR, then it may take away from spots we seemed to be looking at more talented guys for. A weird problem to have for us. Seems like he could be a great pickup at ILB/OLB. At his size and speed he'd got the build for either.

Ian Stewart has gotten another couple of Purdue crystal ball choices in the last couple of days. He is now shown on 247Sports to be 60% Purdue 40% Michigan.

Reactions: DannyGranger

Illinois:

Indiana:

Edit - 2/17

Kentucky:

Ohio:

Thanks for the info. Appreciate your insight on each propect you identified. Norm

Illinois:

Indiana:

Edit - 2/17

Kentucky:

Ohio:

StickPurdue...we could really use your enthusiasm and expertise in following FB recruiting on the premium board. Consider the $99, it’s well worth it and we could use you! You’ll find a much bigger and more knowledgeable following.

Don't do it stick! You know you live for the challenge of answering my replies. So if the rumor of Cronk coming home comes true, how would that affect our o line recruiting?

I've noticed that we have been hitting on some Ohio players and I was wondering if anyone knew if there was someone on the staff that had connections there or if it's just us branching out into a new area.

I've noticed that we have been hitting on some Ohio players and I was wondering if anyone knew if there was someone on the staff that had connections there or if it's just us branching out into a new area.

Eron Hodges was the assistant director of Personnel at OSU for 2 years, 2016 and 2017. He might be Purdue’s best recruitor though. He is having success everywhere he goes. Need to lock him down and pay whatever it takes to keep him.

StickPurdue...we could really use your enthusiasm and expertise in following FB recruiting on the premium board. Consider the $99, it’s well worth it and we could use you! You’ll find a much bigger and more knowledgeable following.

You don't have to say "we could use you" when you already have him. Just come to this board and read what he posts. Also, it doesn't seem very enticing when you say "we could use you" and "consider the $99". That's like saying pay money so we can read what you post even though we can read it for free already. And it appears he has a more knowledgeable following here since you're reading what he posts!

Ah, here's the list of 2019 Signed, from Ohio:
1) Kyle Jornigan - 3* OL
2) Steven Faucheux- 4* DT
3) Nyles Beverly- 3* CB
4) Crishawn Long- 2* LB
5) Dontay Hunter- 3* DE
6) Cam Craig- 3* OL
7) Mershawn Rice- 4* ATH/WR

I'd say it's already pretty impressive. Particularly in a state that OSU has owned for years.

Ah, here's the list of 2019 Signed, from Ohio:
1) Kyle Jornigan - 3* OL
2) Steven Faucheux- 4* DT
3) Nyles Beverly- 3* CB
4) Crishawn Long- 2* LB
5) Dontay Hunter- 3* DE
6) Cam Craig- 3* OL
7) Mershawn Rice- 4* ATH/WR

I'd say it's already pretty impressive. Particularly in a state that OSU has owned for years.
OSU doesnt recruit like it did when Tressel did. The recruits we got last year would have normally been MSU targets, not OSU targets.

ADVERTISEMENT