ADVERTISEMENT

Much appreciated email response

WaltV

True Freshman
Feb 28, 2004
Thanks for taking the time to be in touch. I certainly appreciate and share the frustration you and others are feeling with the recent performance of our women’s basketball program and assure you that returning to a higher level of success is absolutely our objective. With the season having just ended, we’ll thoroughly review and move forward from there. As you likely know, these aren’t simple circumstances and there are multiple layers of consideration—at the end of the day we’ll make our best judgment and proceed.

Boiler Up!

Mike

Thanks for taking the time to be in touch. I certainly appreciate and share the frustration you and others are feeling with the recent performance of our women’s basketball program and assure you that returning to a higher level of success is absolutely our objective. With the season having just ended, we’ll thoroughly review and move forward from there. As you likely know, these aren’t simple circumstances and there are multiple layers of consideration—at the end of the day we’ll make our best judgment and proceed.

Boiler Up!

Mike

I got an almost identical reply.

Seems like nothing will happen at this point. Already lost respect for an AD who tolerates this mess of a program.

Seems like nothing will happen at this point. Already lost respect for an AD who tolerates this mess of a program.
Businesses in general and academic institutions in particular are slow and careful in making personnel moves. Give them time to sort out details and get their approach organized. I think you are over reacting just a bit.

Unless I miss my guess, if he decides to make a change, Bobinski will get his ducks in a row long before we know anything about the situation. It will be a complete "who's going/who's coming in", That's the best way to ensure current players and recruits can be assured of what Purdue will offer after Versyp.

Reactions: Carolsh
Businesses in general and academic institutions in particular are slow and careful in making personnel moves. Give them time to sort out details and get their approach organized. I think you are over reacting just a bit.

Unless I miss my guess, if he decides to make a change, Bobinski will get his ducks in a row long before we know anything about the situation. It will be a complete "who's going/who's coming in", That's the best way to ensure current players and recruits can be assured of what Purdue will offer after Versyp.
There has been a great number of attrition over the years under Versyp, not sure it makes that much difference.

Reactions: mathboy and Gesysp
There has been a great number of attrition over the years under Versyp, not sure it makes that much difference.
Over the past few years, the turn over has been unacceptable. Some of the best players have walked away from the program. Right now we have a very good returning group and some key recruits coming in.

I for one, don't want to see us botch any turnover by allowing the seat to sit empty too long and let those kids disperse or get poached by other programs.

Reactions: DocRon and Carolsh

I disagree, respectfully. Mike Bobinski understands that football and men's basketball are the revenue and passion generators for the majority of fans, and has, understandandably, dedicated his attention to those two sports. The only sport at Purdue that is in a sorry condition is women's basketball due to the disappointing stewardship since the end of the Kristi Curry era, and it may sit at the bottom of the priority pile for several years more. All of the other non revenue sports have adequate stewards (coaching staffs) for their leadership, and no intervention is needed for their program maintenance.

I seriously doubt that George King expected the success that Lynn Dunn achieved when she was hired from Miami (Florida) with a .556 winning percentage in nine seasons. Lynn's record was spectacular in her first four seasons, 117-33, with a Big Ten championship in her fourth year. Lynn created the foundation that led to the 1999 NCAA championship coached by Carolyn Peck with Dunn recruits, Stephanie White, Ukari Figgs, Mckenzie Curless, Tiffany Young, Michelle Duhart, Danielle Bird. Nell Fortner recruited Camille Cooper and Katie Douglas and Carolyn Peck recruited Kelly Komara and Mary Jo Noon for the 1999 championship team. Kristy Curry was an excellent recruiter that maintained the WBB dominance of the Big Ten started by Lynn Dunn. We have not recovered from the academic failures during Kristy Curry's last season which resulted in three high profile recruits going to other schools when Kristy Curry left for Texas Tech. And a long slow slide began and has steepened since the 2014-15 season.

The reason for the story is it is not a Mike Bobinski issue. He inherited a mess, and he chooses to focus on the important revenue sports. I am a season ticket holder for WBB and have been since Kristy Curry's first season so I have seen the high and the low, and I fully understand why the status quo continues. I do not like it, but there is no easy solution and the economic impact of continuing season tickets is minimal, so I will continue to tolerate the shoddy performance of WBB.

I disagree, respectfully. Mike Bobinski understands that football and men's basketball are the revenue and passion generators for the majority of fans, and has, understandandably, dedicated his attention to those two sports. The only sport at Purdue that is in a sorry condition is women's basketball due to the disappointing stewardship since the end of the Kristi Curry era, and it may sit at the bottom of the priority pile for several years more. All of the other non revenue sports have adequate stewards (coaching staffs) for their leadership, and no intervention is needed for their program maintenance. Iowa was also taken apart by UConn on their HOME court by

I seriously doubt that George King expected the success that Lynn Dunn achieved when she was hired from Miami (Florida) with a .556 winning percentage in nine seasons. Lynn's record was spectacular in her first four seasons, 117-33, with a Big Ten championship in her fourth year. Lynn created the foundation that led to the 1999 NCAA championship coached by Carolyn Peck with Dunn recruits, Stephanie White, Ukari Figgs, Mckenzie Curless, Tiffany Young, Michelle Duhart, Danielle Bird. Nell Fortner recruited Camille Cooper and Katie Douglas and Carolyn Peck recruited Kelly Komara and Mary Jo Noon for the 1999 championship team. Kristy Curry was an excellent recruiter that maintained the WBB dominance of the Big Ten started by Lynn Dunn. We have not recovered from the academic failures during Kristy Curry's last season which resulted in three high profile recruits going to other schools when Kristy Curry left for Texas Tech. And a long slow slide began and has steepened since the 2014-15 season.

The reason for the story is it is not a Mike Bobinski issue. He inherited a mess, and he chooses to focus on the important revenue sports. I am a season ticket holder for WBB and have been since Kristy Curry's first season so I have seen the high and the low, and I fully understand why the status quo continues. I do not like it, but there is no easy solution and the economic impact of continuing season tickets is minimal, so I will continue to tolerate the shoddy performance of WBB.
Thank you for a reasonable and rational post on this board rather than those who take every opportunity to vent their negativity. I think Versyp has one more year to right the ship (a little) but regardless, Purdue WBB will not sniff a FF for a long time. Note the lack of any B1G team other than Maryland in the FF in the last decade. Iowa was the best the B1G had to offer this year (yet was beaten by Purdue) and was massacred by Baylor (32 pt loss) in the Elite Eight. Iowa was also taken apart by Notre Dame losing by 34.

I salute and admire those of you who have kept your season tickets or attend numerous games. I am sad that I live 4 hrs away and cannot do that.

Purdue has a solid nucleus including an All-American post. The team just wore down as the season progressed which lead to the dreadful back-end of the season. I think better days are coming and expect modest achievements. If they do not, Bo will make his move.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffBoiler
Thank you for 2 really thoughtful posts, CO and DR. It took a few years to fall to rock-bottom (my take) and will take time to climb back. I don't like it but will be patient for a while... Understand and agree with Bo's attention to FB and MBB. They pay the bills.

I'm glad to know other sports are faring better at Purdue. I just hope something happens to light a spark in WBB. My assessment (from afar) is it is mediocre, and uninspiring, with occasional flashes of good. But let's see what next year brings. I remain hopeful ( not optimistic) - don't like to see coaches let go, especially an alum, so I hope next season starts the climb.

I do wonder if the person/staff that presided over the decline is the right group to "right the ship"

Reactions: DocRon
I do wonder if the person/staff that presided over the decline is the right group to "right the ship"
I would say the person who screwed to pooch was Kristy Curry. She is the one who let her assistants break rules (and says she was not aware), lost us great recruits and then flew the coop. Since that time getting top talent to come here has been difficult.

But yes, if this next year is not significantly better, I would think we need a house-cleaning.

I would say the person who screwed to pooch was Kristy Curry. She is the one who let her assistants break rules (and says she was not aware), lost us great recruits and then flew the coop. Since that time getting top talent to come here has been difficult.

But yes, if this next year is not significantly better, I would think we need a house-cleaning.

A coach just finished her 12th year as HC, has never recruited Indiana well and has lost 11 players she did recruit in the last seven years while the program’s decline has accelerated and you blame somebody who won 80% of her games and has been gone a dozen years. At what point do you hold the current coach accountable?

Last edited:
You also need to realize that the assistant WBB coach under Curry, who cheated and lied about it, had a father and grandfather who were influential in the WBB AAU program in Indiana. There was “poisoning of the well” as far as Indiana recruits going to Purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT