ADVERTISEMENT

MSU now 7th place in Big Ten and ranked 8th in the country

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002
Maybe if they lose to IU this weekend they'll drop out of the top 10.

I'd rather they stay up there as a marquee win. We'll beat IU, but they won't rise to the Top 10 nationally.

I'd rather they stay up there as a marquee win. We'll beat IU, but they won't rise to the Top 10 nationally.

We need to beat Maryland at home in that rematch but first that game at Michigan is a big one. It's a road game we're capable of grabbing if we play well.

I hope you're right about IU, but of all of our remaining games that is the one I think we are least likely to win. They are pretty good. Yes, they stink once every 4/5 games but they are often dominant in the others and they will be up for us. That said, I didn't think we'd win there last year either. If we can contain their shooters we will give ourselves a chance.

I just think we match up very well with them. But you're right, they're much improved since December.

MSU is probably a tad overrated, but that's a squad that beat Kansas, Louisville and Maryland, all legit top 20 teams (and Kansas/MD top 5 or 10). Great win for us last night.

We have some tough games remaining - @ Michigan, MD, @ IU. We played Iowa twice, MD twice. Michigan twice. IU has only played one upper tier team - Michigan once so far. I know their schedule gets tough starting tomorrow night. I would like to see the Big Ten somehow get the schedules to be more fair. 14 teams means you play 13 of them and playing each team twice would be 26 games. I guess we just have to like the seasons when the schedule is favorable and grin/bear it when it's not.

Reactions: delish1
If we only lose 1 more game the rest of the regular season i think we could be a 2 seed maybe even a 1

Last edited:
If we only lose 1 more game the rest of the regular season i think we could be a 2 seed maybe even a 1.

Oh gosh, please don't set unrealistic expectations to then be disappointed by….

It's a stretch to say ANY Big Ten team will only lost 1 more game.

Reactions: Frankie611
I hate MSU with a passion, but I thought they looked really good last night. They move the ball well, and Valentine is a baller.

That being said, Purdue came out on fire, and even when the lead was squandered (the officiating contributed to that), they showed the mental toughness not to let this one go. It's clear they've grown since the Iowa game.

There are still some poor decisions being made. Swanigan gets a lot of grief, but it's important to remember that he's a freshman. Although I was screaming at my screen with each 3 pt shot he took, he put in 2 baskets late that got Purdue into OT.

I hope Mackey is rocking for that Maryland game.

Reactions: Frankie611
Oh gosh, please don't set unrealistic expectations to then be disappointed by….

It's a stretch to say ANY Big Ten team will only lost 1 more game.
Not that unrealistic Michigan has been struggling mightily, should be able to take care of Nebraska and Northwester, and split IU and Maryland games. Get a few wins in the big Ten tourney and Purdue is possibly on their way to their best seed in the Painter era

Not that unrealistic Michigan has been struggling mightily, should be able to take care of Nebraska and Northwester, and split IU and Maryland games. Get a few wins in the big Ten tourney and Purdue is possibly on their way to their best seed in the Painter era

Weren't we a 3 seed in Johnson and Moore's senior year? I doubt we can better that but perhaps we can equal it if we finish strong.

There's not a game left I think we can't win. That said, we can lose any of them too. 3-2 would be solid. 4-1 excellent.

Five games left and I would happily take 3-2.

There are six games left:

@Michigan
Northwestern
@Indiana
Maryland
@Nebraska
Wisconsin

6-0 would be awesome - would probably lead to a 2 or 3 seed (possibly a 1 seed if they win the BTT)
5-1 is realistic and will lead to a seed in the 3-4 range
4-2 is acceptable probably a 4 or 5 seed
anything less is a disappointment and Purdue's seed will reflect that.

There are six games left:

@Michigan
Northwestern
@Indiana
Maryland
@Nebraska
Wisconsin

6-0 would be awesome - would probably lead to a 2 or 3 seed (possibly a 1 seed if they win the BTT)
5-1 is realistic and will lead to a seed in the 3-4 range
4-2 is acceptable probably a 4 or 5 seed
anything less is a disappointment and Purdue's seed will reflect that.

My bad regarding the remaining games. I disagree with you regarding the records though and much more goes into the seeding than just our record. Other teams are playing too.

6-0 is nearly unfathomable to me.
5-1 would be excellent.
4-2 would be good.
3-3 would be acceptable but not encouraging.

On the bracket matrix, Purdue's average seed before MSU was 4.90. I stand by my seed predictions by record.

We need to beat Maryland at home in that rematch but first that game at Michigan is a big one. It's a road game we're capable of grabbing if we play well.

I hope you're right about IU, but of all of our remaining games that is the one I think we are least likely to win. They are pretty good. Yes, they stink once every 4/5 games but they are often dominant in the others and they will be up for us. That said, I didn't think we'd win there last year either. If we can contain their shooters we will give ourselves a chance.
Two keys to IU game....

Stopping little Yogi from easy three's and penetration and getting their two bigs (Bryant and Troy) in foul trouble early. I've been impressed with the play on both ends with Annuoby and am concerned that Purdue will forget about him. IU is very beatable and in my opinion is over-rated for the competition they have played so far. That can't sit back every game now and think about the cupcake up next as the meat of the schedule finally arrives at their doorstep. Remember, this is Davis' and AJ's last time to play them.....and to date, they have a pretty good record against Two Tone's towel boys. I suspect the Boilers will be ready.Northwestern is a game that scares me.

Reactions: TC4THREE
I don't think IU is overrated, heck they aren't even ranked, are they? But IU at IU is always tough. I'm concerned about Michigan because of a let down, plus don't they get Lavert back? Also concerned about Nebraska. Winning in Lincoln is tough. Wisconsin has improved. Glad we played them in Madison early. I can see us losing any of those 4 games. However, from what I saw last night, in the toughness we showed, we have the potential to run the table.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, I just wouldn't count on it (and wouldn't count on it from any other B10 team either).

Certain schools-Michigan State, Kansas ,Duke , and North Carolina get preferential treatment in the polls. I am sick of hearing how MSU's problems are due to missing a guard averaging 3 points a game. How about other schools like Michigan (Lavert) ,IU (Blackmon ) ,Illinois-(half their team) Northwestern (Law ). Izzo my ass.

Saturday is the key to the finish IMO. Win a tough Big Ten road game and that 5-1 finish becomes a true reality.

Beat Michigan, win the games they should (Northwestern, Wisconsin and @Nebraska) and then they only have to split the others to go 5-1. I think that puts them on the 3 line, which is a good spot. It seems like the 2 through 4 seeds will all be about the same caliber of team this year. Just avoid the 1s (Oklahoma, and whoever gets hot enough to earn it) as long as possible and hope the shooters get hot.

Certain schools-Michigan State, Kansas ,Duke , and North Carolina get preferential treatment in the polls. I am sick of hearing how MSU's problems are due to missing a guard averaging 3 points a game. How about other schools like Michigan (Lavert) ,IU (Blackmon ) ,Illinois-(half their team) Northwestern (Law ). Izzo my ass.
IU got that same preferential treatment early in the season. Congrats on your rise due to winning your BIG games and I won't be one to poo poo who you played. You came out and won the games and now deserve to be ranked. The secret will be to stay there.

Reactions: mathboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT