ADVERTISEMENT

Move student seats to make room for a team 'vomitory?'

comparing Purdue’s current entry with Clemson is misguided - they’re nothing alike. Nebraska enters through a tunnel and makes a spectacle out of it.

I cited how one of the nation's top programs in Clemson literally goes out of its way to walk through its fans -- to the point of boarding buses -- while Purdue now aspires to duck away from them.

We need more seats, not less. And especially for students who for many years took a third of the stadium while sitting as a whole in bad times and good.

My emotion? No, this is about our fans and our money. I've seen better days here than what's planned now.

There seems to be a misunderstanding regarding the purpose of the tunnel. It’s not to separate the team from the fans, but rather to link the RA locker room with the facility so that no one has to go outside to access one from the other. In no way does it take players away from fans.

As for the team that boards buses to go through their fans (Clemson), that’s done as they enter the stadium (and to touch Howard’s Rock and go down the hill to the field). When they do this, they’re inside Memorial Stadium. When they arrive at the stadium earlier in the day, they walk through the fans outside the stadium as they proceed to the locker rom.

The tunnel wouldn’t impact any of that whatsoever. The player walks that are common at many venues today are when players arrive at the stadium (just like Clemson and most other schools) from their pre-game lodging location. A “Team Walk” can easily be arranged based on where the team buses arrive, and the tunnel wouldn’t impact this in any way.

Hope this clears up the incorrect impressions that this project would have concerning how the team can “meet” the fans. It’s a non-issue.

Reactions: ejs1111 and DAG10
He could have hired Hayden Fry instead of Agase and that turned out to be a MAJOR mistake!
HF didn’t get to Iowa City until 1979, though. Seems like a no-brainer today, but hiring him in ‘73 would’ve been a much bigger gamble than AA. At that time, he’d just finished his 11th season at SMU, with only two producing winning records.

HF didn’t get to Iowa City until 1979, though. Seems like a no-brainer today, but hiring him in ‘73 would’ve been a much bigger gamble than AA. At that time, he’d just finished his 11th season at SMU, with only two producing winning records.
Have to disagree, Purdue went the conservative way instead of going with a Coach that at the time would throw the ball which would have fit in very well. Purdue THOUGHT they were getting another Ara from Northwestern as ND did but he was not a great recruiter and this decision among others like hiring Akers buried Pudue for years!

Have to disagree, Purdue went the conservative way instead of going with a Coach that at the time would throw the ball which would have fit in very well. Purdue THOUGHT they were getting another Ara from Northwestern as ND did but he was not a great recruiter and this decision among others like hiring Akers buried Pudue for years!
Akers wasn’t the first choice

I'm stunned at all the bed wetting over putting in a tunnel. Did anyone actually listen to the interview? It was stated several times NO student capacity would be lost. Any displaced seats would be replaced in the new SEZ. It was stated several times FFS. It even mentioned the potential to putting all the students in the SEZ and wrapping them around toward their old location- which I think is a good idea frankly. Also stated Phase 1 would be a net increase of 3k-5k seats with the new SEZ renovation. RA will be increasing in capacity overall. How can increasing RA capacity and giving the players a dedicated tunnel directly to their fancy locker room be a bad thing?

Please stop acting like putting in this tunnel is going to permanently reduce capacity. This is not a Mackey scenario where putting in a new tunnel would take away seats. Mackey didn't have the ability to expand and replace lost seats obviously.

I for one am excited to see the Phase 1 renderings

Akers wasn’t the first choice
There is a lot more to that story. George King actually hired Ron Meyer as football coach. On his way to WL, Colts' jackass/drug addict/drunkard Jim Irsay intercepted Meyer and offered him the HC job of the Colts. Meyer took the Colts job instead and King hired Akers in a panic mode.

Ron Meyer

There is a lot more to that story. George King actually hired Ron Meyer as football coach. On his way to WL, Colts' jackass/drug addict/drunkard Jim Irsay intercepted Meyer and offered him the HC job of the Colts. Meyer took the Colts job instead and King hired Akers in a panic mode.

Ron Meyer
That was what I was alluding to

I'm stunned at all the bed wetting over putting in a tunnel. Did anyone actually listen to the interview? It was stated several times NO student capacity would be lost. Any displaced seats would be replaced in the new SEZ. It was stated several times FFS. It even mentioned the potential to putting all the students in the SEZ and wrapping them around toward their old location- which I think is a good idea frankly. Also stated Phase 1 would be a net increase of 3k-5k seats with the new SEZ renovation. RA will be increasing in capacity overall. How can increasing RA capacity and giving the players a dedicated tunnel directly to their fancy locker room be a bad thing?

Please stop acting like putting in this tunnel is going to permanently reduce capacity. This is not a Mackey scenario where putting in a new tunnel would take away seats. Mackey didn't have the ability to expand and replace lost seats obviously.

I for one am excited to see the Phase 1 renderings
It's really just one bed wetter.

On a lighter note, it is too bad the tunnel isn't going through the south end zone. I believe we have a leg up on a low budget excavation approach from the great flood of 2016!

Ct1zWQsWgAAwY2y
Ct786j2WIAAI1s1
Ct786XZWgAA-vJh

Reactions: ejs1111
He might’ve done all of those things, but he hadn’t come close to establishing himself as a winner at SMU by the end of the 1972 season. Hiring a coach who had only two winning seasons in 11 years wouldn’t have made many people happy. Only after he went to North Texas did things turn for him.

ADVERTISEMENT