ADVERTISEMENT

Mostert

jindy

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 17, 2007
89 yards rushing and a TD at the half for the Niners. Good to see him getting lots of PT today. Also, Blough looks to be the Lions starting QB for possibly a few more games - depending upon Stafford's health, maybe the rest of the season.

Mostert with a rushing TD and a receiving TD for the 49'ers and Brees with a rushing td(and 3 TD passes) for the Saints so far today. Normally don't watch any nfl but hard to resist a Purdue heavy game.

Also, watched some Mike Alstott highlights on YouTube today. Occurs to me if he played college ball today he'd probably lead the nation in targeting penalties for running over defensive players.

It's too badd Drew Brees has a sorry defense That game Most likely knocked saints from going to the super bowl.

It's too badd Drew Brees has a sorry defense That game Most likely knocked saints from going to the super bowl.

Sean Payton blew that game. The Saints got the ball with about 5 minutes to go in the half up 27-20. Payton took the ball out of Brees' hand when Brees was having a phenomenal game. Hill was QB for two plays with Brees on the sidelines and the one play Drew was in he handed off. The Saints went three and out, had to punt for the first time, and the 49ers scored. Payton also went for two-point conversions twice and failed each time. The Saints ended up loosing by two.

The defense has actually been pretty good this year.

Also, having to maybe go to SF for a playoff game isn’t that bad of a deal for the saints. Not like having to win in Chicago or GB

Sean Payton blew that game. The Saints got the ball with about 5 minutes to go in the half up 27-20. Payton took the ball out of Brees' hand when Brees was having a phenomenal game. Hill was QB for two plays with Brees on the sidelines and the one play Drew was in he handed off. The Saints went three and out, had to punt for the first time, and the 49ers scored. Payton also went for two-point conversions twice and failed each time. The Saints ended up loosing by two.

For the life of me I don't understand why they run so many plays with Hill when they have a future HOF QB...

Yeah I know I watched It I was pissed. I have a $1000 Bet with somebody that Saints win the Super Bowl this year. He most likely cost me a $1,000

They didn't lose the Super Bowl because of this game. Remember this is a team that won in Seattle with Teddy Bridgewater.

The play I didn't get was the fake punt.

They didn't lose the Super Bowl because of this game. Remember this is a team that won in Seattle with Teddy Bridgewater.

The play I didn't get was the fake punt.
I don't mind a fake punt but at least give yourself a chance at making a play.

I don't mind a fake punt but at least give yourself a chance at making a play.

It made no sense passing to the gunner. The gunner was going to be covered, plus there is no pass interference on a punt play engaging the punter. Did Peyton not know the rule?

Announcers are always mentioning what an offensive genius Sean Peyton is. Drew would make any coach look like an offensive genius.

I'm sure Payton knew the rule. Peyton might not have though but he probably doesn't care.

It made no sense passing to the gunner. The gunner was going to be covered, plus there is no pass interference on a punt play engaging the punter. Did Peyton not know the rule?

I believe that he was looking for a defensive holding penalty(not interference) which certainly could(should?) have been called.

Reactions: DAG10
I believe that he was looking for a defensive holding penalty(not interference) which certainly could(should?) have been called.

Probably, but they were both holding. Plus on a fake punt you are looking to surprise and no one is going to not watch/engage the gunner.

Probably, but they were both holding. Plus on a fake punt you are looking to surprise and no one is going to not watch/engage the gunner.

Not saying it was a good play call by the Saints. Just that the coach wasn't looking for a PI call. The announcers went down that(PI) road as well, all while the coaches were asking for the holding call.

Not saying it was a good play call by the Saints. Just that the coach wasn't looking for a PI call. The announcers went down that(PI) road as well, all while the coaches were asking for the holding call.

I had the game on, but the sound off, and only partially watching.

Makes sense. If he was looking for the PI he would have thrown the challenge flag.

Reactions: jindy
The defense has actually been pretty good this year.

Also, having to maybe go to SF for a playoff game isn’t that bad of a deal for the saints. Not like having to win in Chicago or GB
The defense has been inconsistent though, and, it was almost non-existent on Sunday unfortunately. That said, the Saints blew several opportunities...made some VERY questionable decisions (as covered in a post above regarding a key series and the going for 2 early that ended up biting them, then, scoring "too soon" on their own last drive), and, really had themselves to blame (well, and some horrible calls yet again that did not go their way).

They have won a single road game in their playoff history, so, while SF is a better place to go and play than Green Bay or Chicago, it does not bode well still...that is why they really needed to win on Sunday.

Disappointing for Brees in that he was robbed of an opportunity a year ago to play in another Super Bowl, and, may miss out again this year.

May just be me, but, I am of the opinion that with some of the calls that have been against them, and, others (like that particular one) that were not called for them, that the league is not looking to do anything to help the Saints cause.

The defense has been inconsistent though, and, it was almost non-existent on Sunday unfortunately. That said, the Saints blew several opportunities...made some VERY questionable decisions (as covered in a post above regarding a key series and the going for 2 early that ended up biting them, then, scoring "too soon" on their own last drive), and, really had themselves to blame (well, and some horrible calls yet again that did not go their way).

They have won a single road game in their playoff history, so, while SF is a better place to go and play than Green Bay or Chicago, it does not bode well still...that is why they really needed to win on Sunday.

Disappointing for Brees in that he was robbed of an opportunity a year ago to play in another Super Bowl, and, may miss out again this year.

If I were a coach I would never, ever, go for two before the fourth quarter.

The one that really gets me is how often they go for two after a second TD when they had missed the kick on the first TD. But If they had gotten those first six points from two field goals they always kick the extra point. Classic Prospect Theory.

Reactions: Purdue85
May just be me, but, I am of the opinion that with some of the calls that have been against them, and, others (like that particular one) that were not called for them, that the league is not looking to do anything to help the Saints cause.

I had the same impression but don't know if it is because I am a Saints/Brees fan.

If I were a coach I would never, ever, go for two before the fourth quarter.

The one that really gets me is how often they go for two after a second TD when they had missed the kick on the first TD. But If they had gotten those first six points from two field goals they always kick the extra point. Classic Prospect Theory.

I generally agree, but the average points per attempt (just barely) favors the 2pt conversion.

Since moving the PAT back a few years ago, kickers are hitting 94%. Over the past 20 years, the 2pt conversion rate was 47.7%.

If the idea is "point maximization", go with the 2pt conversion.

Okay... with all that said, I still don't like it when coaches go for 2 before it's necessary.

2014 Big Ten rushing leaders:
1 Melvin Gordon* Wisconsin 343-2587-29
2 Tevin Coleman Indiana 270-2036-15
3 Ezekiel Elliott* Ohio State 273-1878-18
4 David Cobb* Minnesota 315-1629-13
5 Ameer Abdullah Nebraska 264-1611-19
6 Jeremy Langford* Michigan State 276-1522-22
7 Justin Jackson Northwestern 245-1187 -10
8 Corey Clement* Wisconsin 147-949-6
9 Akeem Hunt Purdue 173-949-6
10 J.T. Barrett* Ohio State 171-938-11
11 Mark Weisman* Iowa 213-812-16
12 Josh Ferguson* Illinois 146-735-8
13 Tommy Armstrong Jr Nebraska 145-705-6
14 Akeel Lynch* Penn State 147-678-6
15 Nick Hill* Michigan State 107-622-9
16 C.J. Brown* Maryland 161-539-8
17 Raheem Mostert Purdue 93-529-3

Fun trivia question: Who is the second leading NFL rusher in 2019 from this group?

2019 NFL stats through week 14:
Ezekiel Elliott 246-1071-9
Raheem Mostert 102-608-4
Melvin Gordon 132-523-5
Tevin Coleman 123-460-6
Justin Jackson 23-174-0
Ameer Abdullah 8-41-0

Remember that things are far from over. San Fran still plays the Rams and the Seahawks again. Green Bay has to play Minnesota and the Bears who are playing better all of a sudden.

For fantasy purposes it actually helps me that they lost. Week 17 is in play in my league because it's total points, and I have Brees and Thomas. I don't need them to sit week 17.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT