ADVERTISEMENT

Most fun play of the game

I couldn't tell from the video, but I don't think Zack touched the pall. So TJD palmed the ball and when returning to the floor, should have been called for traveling. It didn't appear the ball left his hand till his feet hit the floor.

I couldn't tell from the video, but I don't think Zack touched the pall. So TJD palmed the ball and when returning to the floor, should have been called for traveling. It didn't appear the ball left his hand till his feet hit the floor.
Yeah should have been either a travel or possession arrow I thought

Reactions: Inspector100
That's the play where Thompson got fouled on the put back and then calmly sunk both of the critical free throws. Yeah, that was a great play.

Actually by rule it was an offensive foul. Had Zach hit t jackass d in the face like that he would still be rolling around on the floor like a soccer player.

• Haha
Reactions: Vern Pain
TJD deciding he was going to go OVER Zack.
Then realizing 3/4 of the way there that NO HE WASN"T. :)

The refing in college ball is just awful. Has been for a long, long while.

Too bad, if games are called accurately, where physically play on all players isn't allowed, Purdue likely wins the NC. As it is....who knows, that is a big hurdle.

I was a big fan of TJDs spin move, TKR bouncing off and him throwing it down.

TJDs fast best oop.

TJDs fast break two handed jam.

TJDs sweet block on TKR attempted dunk.

TJD absolutely engulfing Smiths floater.

Hood-Schifinos layup at the end of the game.

Reneau somehow shooting a hook shot over Edey.

Now if I were a Purdue fan...

Edey had a sweet put back jam.

Furst had a sweet put back jam.

Gillis had that wild reverse layup.

Edey had a big block on a Galloway floater.

i said that when it happened, and they never replayed it (don't think)
The biggest transition from THUNDER DUNK to wimpy wimpy wimpy in history.

That's the play where Thompson got fouled on the put back and then calmly sunk both of the critical free throws. Yeah, that was a great play.
very hoosier-ific response.
And not at all predictable.
But your main man looked like a *itch on that one :)

I was a big fan of TJDs spin move, TKR bouncing off and him throwing it down.

TJDs fast best oop.

TJDs fast break two handed jam.

TJDs sweet block on TKR attempted dunk.

TJD absolutely engulfing Smiths floater.

Hood-Schifinos layup at the end of the game.

Reneau somehow shooting a hook shot over Edey.

Now if I were a Purdue fan...

Edey had a sweet put back jam.

Furst had a sweet put back jam.

Gillis had that wild reverse layup.

Edey had a big block on a Galloway floater.
Why it's almost like some sad little brother hanging around the big kids to see what they do

Reactions: Schnelk
The refing in college ball is just awful. Has been for a long, long while.

Too bad, if games are called accurately, where physically play on all players isn't allowed, Purdue likely wins the NC. As it is....who knows, that is a big hurdle.
I'm just an old timer, remembering when Purdue fans enjoyed hardwood hockey.

• Haha
Reactions: Boiler Buck
I'm just an old timer, remembering when Purdue fans enjoyed hardwood hockey.
The rules are "suppose" to be different than years ago and that is a huge difference in what the rules allowed and what the rules are suppose to allow today. Had the rules not changed, you would have a point.

Reactions: Schnelk
The rules are "suppose" to be different than years ago and that is a huge difference in what the rules allowed and what the rules are suppose to allow today. Had the rules not changed, you would have a point.
I would tend to think things will always be open to interpretation by the individual crew. IU's guards have been whistled for trying to fight over screens quite a few times this season and I guess to your point, those probably would have been play on situations in prior seasons.

I guess things will never be universally as they're "supposed to be". All you can hope for is consistency within a given game. As long as the consistency is there, a team can at least adjust to a degree.

Again, after watching Purdue over the last forty plus years, it still seems strange to see / hear complaints about physical play.

I would tend to think things will always be open to interpretation by the individual crew. IU's guards have been whistled for trying to fight over screens quite a few times this season and I guess to your point, those probably would have been play on situations in prior seasons.

I guess things will never be universally as they're "supposed to be". All you can hope for is consistency within a given game. As long as the consistency is there, a team can at least adjust to a degree.

Again, after watching Purdue over the last forty plus years, it still seems strange to see / hear complaints about physical play.
I don't think you got the point in the difference due to rules. I do understand that "interpetation" by officials is many times in play.

First, I believe and taught physical D since I personally don't think you can be very good without it. However, there was an attempt to clean up hand checking and riding players, by eliminating some of the bellying up and not allowing freedom of movement. It is true that you don't see nearly what you did years ago in jamming movement...particularly across the lane and it isn't due to interpretation by refs from game to game today. It was an evolution due to rule emphasis and changes. I always taught bumping on back cuts and opening up at the lane. to disrupt timing and being in help position. Galloway protects the ball by straight arming rather than bending his non-dribbling hand at a right angle is that an interpretation thing that you can straight arm rather than your off arm at a right angle close to your cylinder or rules change...I don't really know on that one...used to be an offensive foul???

I just posted upon watching the game again and do NOT think the physical perimeter play was quite as devastating as originally thought. There were two horrible misses by Larry Scirotto that allowed Fletcher to be mowed down that lost possessions for PUrdue and led to baskets, but for the most part Purdue's problems were on Purdue.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Don't know about the "straight arm". I've actually seen ball handlers slapping a defenders hand away on many occasions and never remember a foul being called. Never knew if that was ok...

Don't know about the "straight arm". I've actually seen ball handlers slapping a defenders hand away on many occasions and never remember a foul being called. Never knew if that was ok...
Actually the offensive player should not be allowed to do that, but it is done because the refs don't call them for it and the reason to do it is to gets the refs attention many times on a hand check not being called on the defense. The offensive player slaps the defenders hand his body in hope the ref makes the call. Still, if there is a drive and the offensive player uses his off hand to slap away the defender...that many times gets called. The refs don't call either (slapping and hand checking generally---just as they never call carrying the ball near as much as it happens)... FWIW, Brandon Newman the second half was hand checking as well

Look at the number of shirts that get pulled with no call. Now I do not want only FT shooting having the game called too tight as we witnessed how long those games lasted...what 6 or so years ago when there might be 20 fouls called early in the first half. You do hope for consistency, but each ref in each game has a bit different understanding in what he sees...and each ref then is in a different position of the court many times for one team, than the other, due to their rotation and so those two things can lead to inconsistent calling just due to the officials being different from each other and are in different positions when one team is on offense and defense for much of the game.

Reactions: Vern Pain
ADVERTISEMENT