ADVERTISEMENT

Morton

For some that don't think he contributes, he made the all tourney team for this past weekend. For the ones in the back row, HE DOESN'T HAVE TO SCORE A BUNCH OF POINTS for him to be effective. Morton made his statement, I hope everybody took notice.
Is there a list out there of the All Tournament Team?

He had a great tournament. The first couple of games of the season were not good though, and that's where the negativity was coming from. Great to see him embrace a solid role.

He had a solid tourney. Very good after he goes back in. His first 4-5 minutes, even according to him have been poor.

But to me mainly he needs to shore up that 17% three point % when given open looks. That is laughable for a guy that good., & I am sure he will with attempts. But some of those misses were not even close, which is concerning for a guy in the mid 40s last year.

Last edited:
I can’t find one but Edey and Morton were only two boilers. Gotta assume Filipowski and Timme were up there.
Purdue's Zach Edey, Ethan Morton Named to Phil Knight Legacy All-Tournament Team - Sports Illustrated Purdue Boilermakers News, Analysis and More

Reactions: Zaphod_B and TX4GB
He had a solid tourney. Very good after he goes back in. His first 4-5 minutes, even according to him have been poor.

But to me mainly he needs to shore up that 17% three point % when given open looks. That is laughable for a guy that good., & I am sure he will with attempts. But some of those misses were not even close, which is concerning for a guy in the mid 40s last year.
Good point. Although, he took less than one 3PA per game last year, so that ~40% is a bit misleading. I don't expect him to shoot close to that this season with more attempts.

Could really use him hovering around the 35% range from three.

Reactions: pboiler18
Good point. Although, he took less than one 3PA per game last year, so that ~40% is a bit misleading. I don't expect him to shoot close to that this season with more attempts.

Could really use him hovering around the 35% range from three.

Imo the very few shots he is taking this year are flat wide open. Someone who shoots fouls as well as he does & shot mid 40s last year, should expect the same. Again, it's not like he is guarded on his attempts, regardless of number of them. Thus anything less than 40% is just making unneeded excuses.

Imo the very few shots he is taking this year are flat wide open. Someone who shoots fouls as well as he does & shot mid 40s last year, should expect the same. Again, it's not like he is guarded on his attempts, regardless of number of them. Thus anything less than 40% is just making unneeded excuses.
I hear you, but I just don’t think he’s as good of a shooter as you’re making him out to be.

40% is a really good clip, even for someone who takes wide open threes.

It’s still a small sample size. Let’s see where he is in a month.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
33% is the cutoff not 40%. If the expected value of each shot is less than one they should improve or stop shooting

Only Purdue fans would criticize a Purdue player after he was selected to the All-Tourney Team in a tournament that likely had a dozen former HS All-Americans participating. The people who selected the All-Tourney Team saw what Painter sees, and what many others are missing.

Only Purdue fans would criticize a Purdue player after he was selected to the All-Tourney Team in a tournament that likely had a dozen former HS All-Americans participating. The people who selected the All-Tourney Team saw what Painter sees, and what many others are missing.
I think he's played well and it shows in the advanced stats but I'm still surprised by the selection

The only people that criticize Morton are the fans that only look at box scores. He keeps the offense running at all times and him and Smith are a fantastic defensive tandem. I don't think Morton will come off the bench for Purdue again for the rest of his career (Possibly if he comes back for a 5th year with a sophomore Colvin but that's a way away.)

The only people that criticize Morton are the fans that only look at box scores. He keeps the offense running at all times and him and Smith are a fantastic defensive tandem. I don't think Morton will come off the bench for Purdue again for the rest of his career (Possibly if he comes back for a 5th year with a sophomore Colvin but that's a way away.)
I call those fans “box score coaches”. They have no idea how the game is played. They just look to the box score to see who is good and who should be benched/transferred. If the box score had a category for right arm hair follicles, they would judge based on who was hairier! Ridiculous.

:cool:

ADVERTISEMENT