ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue football More from Burke ...

KODK

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Here's Morgan Burke's answer after BTN's Mike Hall asked what needs to change in the future so that improvement turns into wins ...

“There’s six or seven factors that have to go in to this,” Burke answered. “You’ve got to make sure you have the right staff. You’ve got to recruit effectively and efficiently. You’ve got to make sure you have the right technology, the kids spend more time in the classroom today than they do on the practice field. You’ve got to make sure your sports performance staff is second-to-none and you’ve got to make sure you have quality academic support. On top of that, you’ve need to make sure you have the facilities in line to develop your roster and to recruit, and at the same time make sure your venue – most of us in the Big Ten have venues that were built in the 1920s and they are approaching 100 years of age - we’re going to have to find ways to adapt them to the generations that are to follow.

"But we made a really significant announcement Oct. 21, the President Mitch Daniels and the Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Mike Berghoff, joined me in announcing that we would support a recommendation to the Board of Trustees in our December meeting that would move forward with a $60 million performance complex. This 110,000 square foot facility will allow us to take care of three deficiencies in our training complex. No. 1, it will allow us to have a weight room to bring all of our kids together at one time rather than having to stagger them. No. 2, it will bring a state-of-the-art instructional space so we can do the kinds of instruction that will enhance the performance on the field, and thirdly, we’re going to renovate locker rooms, sports medicine and equipment space.

“We think that Darrell Hazell is the right guy to lead the program. I know social media and others have tried to determine whether Darrell is going to be here in 2016. We’re not in this for the short term. We want to build a plan. This is something that the President again and the Chairman of the Board joined in their support for Darrell. We’ve still got work to do but we can see some things in the pipeline just like your (BTN) analysts can see that will allow Purdue to return to a very successful level. We’re not a very patient world – I’m not very patient myself – but at the end of the day you’re building the right thing, you’ve got to stick with the plan. Having said that, that does not mean we won’t sit down, as we do every year at the end of the year, and take a good hard look at all of the facets of the program to determine what we can do to improve the program and we’ll do that. But if there’s any confusion about who the guy is who’s going to lead the Boilermakers onto the field in 2016, let’s dispel that.”

Last edited:
Reactions: gopurdue999
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News