ADVERTISEMENT

Mockobee

What a great run!! This kid's gonna be good!
The initial cutback was incredibly impressive, and, the follow up was what made the difference on the play.

He has some Horvath to his game, and, even some Alstott with respect to setting up runs, and, finishing.

Props to him for taking advantage of the opportunity that he is getting, and, he has had some impressive runs...had one against Syracuse, and, had a couple today...kid runs hard for sure, and, that little bit of shiftiness is nice...as well as some patience.

He has a very unique running style. I'm trying to think who he reminds me of.
I like that he runs hard...he finishes runs.

I like that he is patient...multiple times he has either cut back, or, bounced out and had it result in something positive.

He seems to have good vision, as well as anticipation.

He has deceptive speed, and, as I had said above, some shiftiness as well.

Now...to be fair...the bar is pretty low for the position at Purdue, particularly in recent years, but, moot point really, as, what matters is that he is finding a way to be effective (and, a lot of it on his own as it is not as if the OL is doing him a ton of favors in general).

Good for him...and, for Purdue (and, in turn, for us as fans).

The initial cutback was incredibly impressive, and, the follow up was what made the difference on the play.

He has some Horvath to his game, and, even some Alstott with respect to setting up runs, and, finishing.

Props to him for taking advantage of the opportunity that he is getting, and, he has had some impressive runs...had one against Syracuse, and, had a couple today...kid runs hard for sure, and, that little bit of shiftiness is nice...as well as some patience.
Prolly before your time....Mockobee has some #25 FB Scott Dierking (1970s) to his game.

Prolly before your time....Mockobee has some Scott Dierking to his game.
I don't remember him at Purdue much admittedly, but, I remember him in the NFL, and, I know for sure how good he was at Purdue and what has been said or written about him as such (and, I remember his son very well playing for Purdue much later as a RB). That could be a good comparison though.

Reactions: AgainstDaWind
I don't remember him at Purdue much admittedly, but, I remember him in the NFL, and, I know for sure how good he was at Purdue and what has been said or written about him as such (and, I remember his son very well playing for Purdue much later as a RB). That could be a good comparison though.
Mockobee is better than dierking. He’s bigger, faster and more elusive. I really can’t think of a Purdue comparison. Maybe Floyd Little of the Denver Bronchos for you old timers.

He reminds me of Robert Smith in the way he runs...
I can see that to some extent...as, similar running style...that said, Robert Smith was pretty stellar...a guy that was never given the appropriate due probably because of his not being flashy or a guy that was big on getting attention.

Reactions: purduepat1969
It’s definitely a non-traditional running style. Shifty and elusive. As long as he learns how to tuck the ball properly I’m all for his unique approach. Whatever it takes to get positive yardage out of our run game.

Reactions: purduepat1969
He did that every game.

The A-Train was something else when he got a head of steam.....mercy.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Not around for Alstott?
I was like 11 then and those were the first games I ever went to. When this thought occurred to me I thought immediately Alstott had a bunch of incredible runs. But Purdue was awful then and things are just different now I guess in that we have a team that can win games and you’re watching every snap. I’ll be a prisoner of the moment here. Best run ever.

I was like 11 then and those were the first games I ever went to. When this thought occurred to me I thought immediately Alstott had a bunch of incredible runs. But Purdue was awful then and things are just different now I guess in that we have a team that can win games and you’re watching every snap. I’ll be a prisoner of the moment here. Best run ever.
That is fair, but, Alstott definitely had better runs...regardless, that run today was indeed special...never mind incredibly important and timely.

Reactions: HUD628
That was a heck of a backfield with Corey Rogers and Alstott (Chicago connection):
1993 - Rogers 746 yards 4 TDs
Alstott 816 yards 12 TDs 407 receiving 2 TDs

1994 - Rogers 764 yards 10 TDs
Alstott 1188 yards 14 TDs

1995 - Rogers 424 yards 8 TDs
Alstott 1436 yards 11 TDs

Talk about ball control. We should have been in a few bowls during that era.

That was a heck of a backfield with Corey Rogers and Alstott (Chicago connection):
1993 - Rogers 746 yards 4 TDs
Alstott 816 yards 12 TDs 407 receiving 2 TDs

1994 - Rogers 764 yards 10 TDs
Alstott 1188 yards 14 TDs

1995 - Rogers 424 yards 8 TDs
Alstott 1436 yards 11 TDs

Talk about ball control. We should have been in a few bowls during that era.
Not with Jim Colletto as HC

I think that may have been the best run I’ve ever seen by a Purdue RB in my life. Looked like 4.5 instead of 4.37 Reggie Bush
Speed in the backfield is really a game changer. I have no idea what his top speed really is, but 4.5 seems accurate. He also has some quickness and shiftiness to him that is great. All of that being said, his greatest asset IMO is his vision and ability to set up the blocks.

Mockobee is a good player. I think that’s the type of RB we need rather than the bruisers Brohm has been trying to bring in. Give me the 200 point guys that can take it to the house all day.

More so in that he was about all Purdue had...opposing defenses knew that he was going to get it, prepared as such, stacked boxes and whatever else, and, STILL had virtually no chance of actually stopping the guy.

Yes....haha, reminds me of another classic incident with my buddies from those years - the 1994 game with Iowa in Ross-Ade.

Purdue was pounding with Alstott early and often and dominated the first three quarters leading 13-0. Then Iowa got some big plays along with some Purdue mistakes (imagine that?) and took a 21-13 lead. Purdue gets a TD on a great play from Dicken and Alford and controversial conversion to tie @ 21. If replay were avilable back then, it probably would have been overturned as Dicken looked just short. Then when the Hawkeyes get stuffed on 4th down, the Boilers had a shot to win in the last minutes, taking over around their 40 yd line. Rogers and a big run from Alstott put Purdue in the red zone and close to victory. My one friend among us four with season tickets would go nuts with Alstott runs.....he of course wanted nothing more than an Alstott run for the winning TD. What followed? Of course, tied 21-21, Purdue plays a little conservatively inside the 20. Meanwhile our friend is saying "I don't like this.....it's no sure thing with a FG."

Seven seconds left, and Purdue lines up for a 30-yd FG attempt from Brad Bobich.

annnnd of course the FG is wide left, and our buddy erupts - had never seen him lose it like that - "HE MISSED IT!!!! I KNEWWWWW IT!!!! and then several expletives followed as he was just beat red. "Ya got the best damn back and ya do THAT! %^&$#@!" For an instant, the disappointment from the tie vanished as we were just trying to calm him down.

We still laugh about it to this day......oh those were the days........ :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT