ADVERTISEMENT

Minny at Purdue WBB

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
Return of starting lineup for Petree and Hardin with Layden and Learn sitting.

Harper quickly gets two fouls and Woltman has played well in her place. Layden comes in and plays well. Petree very active and looks like her old self. (Lots of shots but lots of scoring & RBs).

Purdue 31-23 with 5 to go in 2nd. Q and Petree at FT line.

Purdue 44-25 at half.

Last edited:
Return of starting lineup for Petree and Hardin with Layden and Learn sitting.

Harper quickly gets two fouls and Woltman has played well in her place. Layden comes in and plays well. Petree very active and looks like her old self. (Lots of shots but lots of scoring & RBs).

Purdue 31-23 with 5 to go in 2nd. Q and Petree at FT line.

44-25 at the half, Purdue up. 34 shots for Purdue, 18 of them 3s. Petree is gunning it up, Woltman playing well, Learn and Harper only got 3 minutes each, Wotlman got the other 14. Only 3 TOs and UMinn is just looking badly outmatched at pretty much every position. Hard to believe they handily beat PSU at PSU while we got our butts handed to us there...... what a difference playing hard makes.

UMinn taking it to the rim this half, and with a lot of success, 6-2 run and two fouls on Purdue so far. UMinn's team of underclassmen is definitely the aggressors this half, now an 8-2 run, all fts or layups by the gophers so far.

13-4 run so far in the second half, now only down 10 48-38, and all the momentum is going the gophers way. They have rocked us back on our heels and out interior D is apparently non-existent with Woltman on the bench.

6 Purdue players with 6-9 points, but the efficiency of getting there are VERY different. 2-3 for 6 pts, 2-3 for 6 pts, 3-6 for 6 pts, 3-5 for 7 pts, 2-8 for 8 pts, and 3-8 for 9pts.

Terry off one possession and we got three quick shots from Petree, and Terry right back in with Ellis and Woltman, Hardin, Harper, and Petree out. Petree now 3-11 and 9 pts.

Purdue 56-UMinn 43 after 3, need to keep from letting the Gophers keep dictating the energy and flow of this game so far this half.

Woltman only boiler in double figures with a season high 10 pts so far on 4-5 shooting with 2-2 at the line.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
back to back 3s from Petree and Hardin put us back up 15 after UMinn had cut it to 9 and Purdue seemed close to folding again. Now Smith, Hardin, Petree, and Woltman all in double digits scoring.

Reactions: HoopDad317
Final 75-56, Hardin 4-11 on 3s for 14 pts was the leading scorer. Smith 6-9 for 13 pts, Petree 4-12 for 12 pts, and Woltman 4-6 for 10 pts and 8 rbs. Purdue 8 tos, UMinn 13. UMinn 45 rbs, Purdue 41. Learn goes from starting to only playing 5 minutes.... there is no way these players can be mentally prepared for the games not knowing what minutes you will get from game to game.

Final 75-56, Hardin 4-11 on 3s for 14 pts was the leading scorer. Smith 6-9 for 13 pts, Petree 4-12 for 12 pts, and Woltman 4-6 for 10 pts and 8 rbs. Purdue 8 tos, UMinn 13. UMinn 45 rbs, Purdue 41. Learn goes from starting to only playing 5 minutes.... there is no way these players can be mentally prepared for the games not knowing what minutes you will get from game to game.
Grin, Michael. The team plays one of their most balanced and productive games of this year but you complain that the players do not know how many mins they are going to play. SMH

Grin, Michael. The team plays one of their most balanced and productive games of this year but you complain that the players do not know how many mins they are going to play. SMH
We played a team of mostly freshmen at home and you think this was a great win ;) ;) , but you will be pretty silent after the next three games and not understand why we will get our butts handed to us. How do you go from starting to 5 minutes and not have that screw with your mental preparation for the next game? Our coaching is vastly inconsistent and I believe KG is the cause of most of this teams lack of toughness and identity with her random haphazard substitution patterns... Woltman consistently shows she is better than Harper at center, but next game she may be the one only getting 5 minutes....... Its like KG is throwing darts to pick her player rotations, and they are hugely different game to game with no consistency. We ended this game with our best defensive team mostly all together on the bench.

You like poking fun at me and calling me a massive pessimist, but I think its because you cannot understand the nuances of the game and think very simplistic about it all: "Win = great, loss = oh well" and that is the depth of your analysis of the game. You can look good in a loss and show a lot of problems in a win, but I don't think you have the understanding of the game to get that.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
We played a team of mostly freshmen at home and you think this was a great win ;) ;) , but you will be pretty silent after the next three games and not understand why we will get our butts handed to us. How do you go from starting to 5 minutes and not have that screw with your mental preparation for the next game? Our coaching is vastly inconsistent and I believe KG is the cause of most of this teams lack of toughness and identity with her random haphazard substitution patterns... Woltman consistently shows she is better than Harper at center, but next game she may be the one only getting 5 minutes....... Its like KG is throwing darts to pick her player rotations, and they are hugely different game to game with no consistency. We ended this game with our best defensive team mostly all together on the bench.

You like poking fun at me and calling me a massive pessimist, but I think its because you cannot understand the nuances of the game and think very simplistic about it all: "Win = great, loss = oh well" and that is the depth of your analysis of the game. You can look good in a loss and show a lot of problems in a win, but I don't think you have the understanding of the game to get that.
The fact you said CKG ran the same offense as CSV in another post this week among other moronic statements has clearly proved you dont have a clue about what you're talking about.

Sure you can have an opinion and voice it. We all here for it.

But you continuously move the goal posts for any achievement for this team these players this staff specifically CKG. If you claim to solely watch this program and be a fan of it and still not see progress and yet find every miniscule detail to criticize and any factor to mitigate any progress then you are a sad sad excuse for a Purdue fan.

It's either that or you're an IU fan trolling a Purdue site.

Windbag.

The fact you said CKG ran the same offense as CSV in another post this week among other moronic statements has clearly proved you dont have a clue about what you're talking about.

Sure you can have an opinion and voice it. We all here for it.

But you continuously move the goal posts for any achievement for this team these players this staff specifically CKG. If you claim to solely watch this program and be a fan of it and still not see progress and yet find every miniscule detail to criticize and any factor to mitigate any progress then you are a sad sad excuse for a Purdue fan.

It's either that or you're an IU fan trolling a Purdue site.

Windbag.
Yeah, stay away from mens sports forums, your gentle constitution could not handle the level of criticism there. KG does run the same series of set plays, she's tweaked them a little and doesn't force the team to wait until the last 5 seconds to shoot, but it is functionally the same offense. She stated as much last year and it looks primarily the same this season. Sorry you aren't keeping up with the program, but maybe don't knock those that actually do pay attention. The goal posts for "achievement" for me are 1. NCAA tournament 2. Top 5 Big Ten standings 3. Win the BT 4. FF 5. NCAA title. Beating a team of mostly freshmen in a season where our best win is OkSU that is 3-3 in their own weak conference and neither of us is going to the big dance is not exciting to me, sorry to disappoint you. The execution was poor, and if we play this same way in Champaign, we will get run off the floor by halftime. Right now, this season looks like groundhog day, same things as last season, no progress and more flaws in the coaching that are making me worry this is as good as KG can do.

We are 4-5 in conference, we have yet to beat a team with more than 2 conference wins and the combined conference record of the 4 teams we have beat is 6-27...... If that impresses you, I really don't think you understand how good this program used to be and are just happy seeing them play no matter how they do.

Last edited:
disclaimer: I didn't get to watch/listen to today's game (was at hospital with daughter for some tests that convenient care couldn't do - all is good, thankfully), so these comments are somewhat generic.

Some of us just enjoy the game and therefore the "win = good, loss = oh, well, we'll get them next time" is OK ( I personally am not there yet but losing doesn't wreck my day anymore either, at least most of the time). Having an inclination/need to pick apart every game/player just drains the enjoyment of it. The players aren't trying to disappoint us, the coaches certainly are trying to win. Do I want us to win every game? Absolutely. Am I happy with how the team is doing now? Not completely but it's sure a few steps forward from where we were a couple years ago.

my thoughts, your mileage may vary

disclaimer: I didn't get to watch/listen to today's game (was at hospital with daughter for some tests that convenient care couldn't do - all is good, thankfully), so these comments are somewhat generic.

Some of us just enjoy the game and therefore the "win = good, loss = oh, well, we'll get them next time" is OK ( I personally am not there yet but losing doesn't wreck my day anymore either, at least most of the time). Having an inclination/need to pick apart every game/player just drains the enjoyment of it. The players aren't trying to disappoint us, the coaches certainly are trying to win. Do I want us to win every game? Absolutely. Am I happy with how the team is doing now? Not completely but it's sure a few steps forward from where we were a couple years ago.

I understand that some have low expectations and/or are just happy to watch the ball bounce. Others just don't care to take a deep dive and prefer instead for every game to be a surprise. While I may be an anomaly here, analysis of how the team is playing USED to be common for Purdue fans back when we were a top 5 program back 20 years ago, on the MsHoops site. Then it got overrun by the tea and cookies crowd that only wanted to hear happy things and shrieked at anyone saying anything slightly critical of "these poor little girls". It literally killed that board with all the bickering. Now, if you are someone that just wants to hear sunshine and happiness, ignore me, it should not be that hard. But I am not going to stop analyzing the games just to make those that cannot keep up or just are constitutionally unable to hear my take about where our team is or seems to be going happy. Some on here do like reading my take and interact with the analysis. Leave us to talk about the games amongst ourselves and you can talk amongst the others that only care about good news and happy thoughts. Analyzing the games and talking about them is part of what I enjoy about the games. It may not be for you, but why do some of you feel the need to treat others like crap just because we enjoy the games differently?
We have nearly the same team back from last year, and honestly we are not playing as well this year as we did last year. Some of you cannot see that or do not care, but for me its a mystery I ENJOY trying to solve and use the information from previous games to predict future results. Now just because that is not YOUR idea of fun, does not mean that your way of watching is the only or even optimal way of following a sports team that used to be a high powered high performance organization. But my expectations of where this team needs to be and it having an upward trajectory are a great bit higher than just being happy watching the ball bounce.

DocRon seems to enjoy calling me a pessimist, but my predictions are hitting about 90%, and the funny part of the ~10% I am missing is my predictions have been too rosy..... but DocRon doesn't pay near enough attention to what I actually say to notice that, he would rather be a child and mock me rather than pay any actual attention to what I am saying and what is happening with this team. So DocRon, you want to stay out of my commentary, you can quit mocking me, or you get mocked right back.....

Good post and expresses much of what I feel. I had hoped that the team might make the NCAA this year but they will not. I can live with that. It is the second year of Coach KG's tenure. As for the other 3 of Michael's "goals", I never expected them this year and I suspect I may be gone from this earth before it happens (since I am pretty old now.) As you said, our losses or poor games do not make or break my day.

I find it amusing that Michael gave your post a thumbs up when it would seem to me your sentiments were primarily aimed at him. But maybe I am wrong - I have been many times. (something SOME people on this board very rarely if ever will admit.)

DocRon seems to enjoy calling me a pessimist, but my predictions are hitting about 90%, and the funny part of the ~10% I am missing is my predictions have been too rosy..... but DocRon doesn't pay near enough attention to what I actually say to notice that, he would rather be a child and mock me rather than pay any actual attention to what I am saying and what is happening with this team. So DocRon, you want to stay out of my commentary, you can quit mocking me, or you get mocked right back.....
Oh my gosh... where did this come from? I thought you were responding to smalltowniL's (excellent) post and suddenly it is about me "mocking" you. To mock hmmm... "to tease or laugh at in a scornful or contemptuous manner."

Did I not, just a few days ago, post that you, Michael, "does, for me at least, provide some insight at times"?

So, Michael, I do pay attention to what you post. It is your almost constant negativity and condescension of anyone who believes differently than you which makes me roll my eyes when I read your post.

You say most people here are not tough enough to read your opinions. But maybe someone here has a persecution complex.

and I do appreciate Michael's analytical approach. I coach (assorted teams/sports at the youth level for more years than I want to count) and I judge livestock, a very analytical matter. I have come around to the viewpoint that looking for the positives first, while by no means ignoring the negatives, makes me a better coach; we can debate my livestock judging skills in another forum :)
Everybody is wired a little different, letting people more or less be themselves, within reason, just makes life easier. trust me, I'm right on this! :)

Oh my gosh... where did this come from? I thought you were responding to smalltowniL's (excellent) post and suddenly it is about me "mocking" you. To mock hmmm... "to tease or laugh at in a scornful or contemptuous manner."

Maybe read your own posts...... Doc

back to back 3s from Petree and Hardin put us back up 15 after UMinn had cut it to 9 and Purdue seemed close to folding again. Now Smith, Hardin, Petree, and Woltman all in double digits scoring.
Nice to see Petree starting to click again. She’s a volume shooter. Glad to see her playing. Good for Hardin too. I like Woltman. Like to see her get more minutes. Strong inside. Smith needs to stay at Purdue so am glad she’s getting minutes. Could see her looking elsewhere. Very athletic. Harper and Layden are needed but just inconsistent and quite slow. Sensitive subject for people, but how do you gain so much weight being in a B1G program? It’s really hurt the production of both Harper & Layden. They just can’t cut or run well anymore. Don’t understand why with all the resources these athletes have. Compared to the speed of Ellis, Petree, even Terry and Hardin, these two struggle to keep up. Glad we got the W. Team needed that.

Nice to see Petree starting to click again. She’s a volume shooter. Glad to see her playing. Good for Hardin too. I like Woltman. Like to see her get more minutes. Strong inside. Smith needs to stay at Purdue so am glad she’s getting minutes. Could see her looking elsewhere. Very athletic. Harper and Layden are needed but just inconsistent and quite slow. Sensitive subject for people, but how do you gain so much weight being in a B1G program? It’s really hurt the production of both Harper & Layden. They just can’t cut or run well anymore. Don’t understand why with all the resources these athletes have. Compared to the speed of Ellis, Petree, even Terry and Hardin, these two struggle to keep up. Glad we got the W. Team needed that.
I am still not convinced we are a better team with Petree playing, there still seems to be some unresolved chemistry issues with this squad. We have no identity, there is not one thing you can say that "Purdue women's team is built around XXXX" consistently from one game to the next. I am pretty sure that is at least part of KGs exasperation with the team this year.

Reactions: HoopDad317
ADVERTISEMENT