ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Carmin on Rondale

Dude...
You're taking ONE injury and trying to take us all down a rabbit hole that he's ... "injury prone".

When that's pointed out to you, you want to take the fact that he got injured early in his SOPHOMORE year, and calculate the number of games he missed as your evidence.

I don't think you're engaging in a discussion of logic, so starting a response with, "using that logic", really doesn't fit.

You (nor I) have no idea why he's missing games. Correct? (Yes) Even if he's missing games due to a hamstring, then ... NO. He does not fit the definition of "injury prone".

Not sure why we're now talking about being "durable", other than it appears the "injury prone" really is weak. I've never said he's .... "perfectly durable". And, for you to try to portray me as such really highlights the weakness of your position.

Again, you're taking us down an arbitrary, subjective topic of being "injury prone", which serves no purpose at all, other than to criticize him.

Oh, well. Continue on.

it appears this topic gets you all riled up. I suggest we walk away from it with our own definitions of “durable” in tact.

but you still haven’t answered my question :)

Positive. The cbs mock draft hit the nail on the head. He chose not to play on Saturday
That really makes no sense. He opted out then comes back and now decided not to play against Iowa. Good that the team won as some would probably be pretty discussed with him had they lost.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
it appears this topic gets you all riled up. I suggest we walk away from it with our own definitions of “durable” in tact.

but you still haven’t answered my question :)

I'm not riled up in the least. Don't do that. It doesn't help your position.

I've taken exception to your "injury prone" label because it's quite a disservice to this young man; a very fine young man who has put himself out there, shouldered quite a burden as a Freshman, did so without injury, and does not deserve to have an anonymous poster on an internet forum label him as ... "injury prone".

Not being "durable" wasn't the claim. It was that he is "injury prone".

I don't look at a nonsensical, arbitrary measure such as "percent of games played" in an effort to label a kid as ... "injury prone". It would seem bizarre for me to find a reason to do that.

Not getting my hopes up this time.

Of course they will say available for week 2. They want Illinois to game plan for him. About Friday they will say unavailable. I will only get excited when I see him on the field.
You nailed it!!!

He won't be a 4th rounder at this point. Nobody will spend a high draft pick on a undersized player even with all his talent that hasn't played in 2 years.

Reactions: Lionheart1
Could it be an issue with negotiating/obtaining insurance against injury? It has just been a little over a month since he decided to come back. This is not exactly something you can walk into your local State Farm agent's office and obtain. Anyone know what is involved in getting one of these insurance policies?

Reactions: NVboiler
Maybe the opting back in was a sham and he never intended to play. Did Brohm ask him to declare just so opponents would game plan for him or so that he could stand on the sidelines and help coach the young receivers? Probably not, but in the absence of info, these are the theories people create.

Reactions: 3generboiler
Could it be an issue with negotiating/obtaining insurance against injury? It has just been a little over a month since he decided to come back. This is not exactly something you can walk into your local State Farm agent's office and obtain. Anyone know what is involved in getting one of these insurance policies?
The NCAA has a program and it isnt as unique as you think.

Because the NCAA has a program, it doesn’t mean this doesn’t take time.

The NCAA certainly does not write insurance policies. There needs to be an underwriter. I am sure the underwriter requires a thorough medical work up to document past injuries. An “accurate” determination of where the athlete is likely to go in the draft, which is especially important for the athlete. You don’t want to pay a lot for a policy to cover a first-round contract and then you end up getting drafted in the fourth round.

I am sure every policy is unique with the cost being unique. So does the athlete shop around with different companies?

What types of companies would write such policies? Re-insurance companies?

The NCAA certainly does not write insurance policies. There needs to be an underwriter. I am sure the underwriter requires a thorough medical work up to document past injuries. An “accurate” determination of where the athlete is likely to go in the draft, which is especially important for the athlete. You don’t want to pay a lot for a policy to cover a first-round contract and then you end up getting drafted in the fourth round.

I am sure every policy is unique with the cost being unique. So does the athlete shop around with different companies?

I doubt he would have practiced were it not in place. FYI - he has practiced.

Additionally, im sure all policies are different, and if you are forecasted to go in the back half of the first round you arent going to purchase as much as you would in the top 10. These policies are common among star players anymore.

I doubt he would have practiced were it not in place. FYI - he has practiced.

Additionally, im sure all policies are different, and if you are forecasted to go in the back half of the first round you arent going to purchase as much as you would in the top 10. These policies are common among star players anymore.

Here's a link to an NCAA white paper from several years ago and the Executive Summary....don't know if it's been further updated.

Looks like Lloyds of London is the main underwriter on most of these with other insurers taking a piece of the risk in some form or fashion.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/insurance/loss-value-insurance-white-paper

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/insurance/loss-value-insurance-white-pape-executive-summary

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/insurance/loss-value-insurance-faqs

Not a doctor, not close to Rondale. I really dont think it's all that unreasonable to just think he tweaked his hammy. Returning to game shape and doing football drills against other D1 players is a lot different than doing something on your own or with a trainer. He may have tried to rush things. Rondale doesnt owe us anything. When he's ready to come back he'll be back. Some of you sound like ur angry at him or it's some kind of conspiracy. I get it, we all want to see him play again, but let the kid come back when he's good and ready.

Not a doctor, not close to Rondale. I really dont think it's all that unreasonable to just think he tweaked his hammy. Returning to game shape and doing football drills against other D1 players is a lot different than doing something on your own or with a trainer. He may have tried to rush things. Rondale doesnt owe us anything. When he's ready to come back he'll be back. Some of you sound like ur angry at him or it's some kind of conspiracy. I get it, we all want to see him play again, but let the kid come back when he's good and ready.
And you don't think its strange when somebody asks about Doerue or any other player, they say its an injury, but when someone asks about Rondale, its handled like a classified state secret? I don't think anyone is angry at Rondale. But you've got to admit the way things are being handled is going to naturally stir up questions and speculation that could easily be avoided by simply saying that he is recovering from a minor injury. And this is a tame Purdue media and fan base. Imagine if this was happening at Alabama or OSU.

And you don't think its strange when somebody asks about Doerue or any other player, they say its an injury, but when someone asks about Rondale, its handled like a classified state secret? I don't think anyone is angry at Rondale. But you've got to admit the way things are being handled is going to naturally stir up questions and speculation that could easily be avoided by simply saying that he is recovering from a minor injury. And this is a tame Purdue media and fan base. Imagine if this was happening at Alabama or OSU.

It's the same M.O. as with Sindelar's ACL.

I don't think Brohm gives a fat rat's @ss what questions are stirred up on an internet forum.

Not saying it's the way I would handle it, just that there's a precedent, and if people are paying attention they will understand.

Reactions: Lifetimeboiler
It's the same M.O. as with Sindelar's ACL.

I don't think Brohm gives a fat rat's @ss what questions are stirred up on an internet forum.

Not saying it's the way I would handle it, just that there's a precedent, and if people are paying attention they will understand.

A difference is Elijah was playing with that torn ACL, so it was best kept secret.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT