ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Carmin on Rondale

JFC we cannot catch a break. This poor kid had had a rough 3 years
Well, that sucks. I was looking forward to seeing the Dynamic Duo play together tomorrow.

In the press conference yesterday, Jeff said that there was about 5 to 6 players that would not be playing, but he would not mention them by name. Carmin even asked about Rondale playing on Saturday, and Jeff would not answer the question.

I am thinking COVID, because besides the players, he also said that some coaches would be missing too. Again, Jeff would not say which coaches, besides himself, would not be at the game.

Well, that sucks. I was looking forward to seeing the Dynamic Duo play together tomorrow.

In the press conference yesterday, Jeff said that there was about 5 to 6 players that would not be playing, but he would not mention them by name. Carmin even asked about Rondale playing on Saturday, and Jeff would not answer the question.

I am thinking COVID, because besides the players, he also said that some coaches would be missing too. Again, Jeff would not say which coaches, besides himself, would not be at the game.
it isnt covid.

Reactions: cidsports
It’s just so painful being a Purdue fan a lot of times. FWIW the rumors are that it’s an injury and not a minor one. Hopefully those rumors are wrong, but they started before this announcement was made, making me think it’s not something like COVID.

• Sad
Reactions: Zaphod_B
Total kick to the junk. Godspeed to his recovery. Wishing that it is minor and the staff is being extra cautious, which may be the case given Brohms somewhat cryptic answers from prior weeks.

Wouldn't mind seeing Anderson move to the slot and Wright starts.

Total kick to the junk. Godspeed to his recovery. Wishing that it is minor and the staff is being extra cautious, which may be the case given Brohms somewhat cryptic answers from prior weeks.

Wouldn't mind seeing Anderson move to the slot and Wright starts.
Sheffield will most likely start. Wright needs to prove he can catch the ball.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
It’s just so painful being a Purdue fan a lot of times. FWIW the rumors are that it’s an injury and not a minor one. Hopefully those rumors are wrong, but they started before this announcement was made, making me think it’s not something like COVID.

Where are these rumors about it not being minor?

This might knock him out of the first round as he will be labeled undersized. Shoot he may as well come back next year.

For what it's worth espn mentioned that "sources" say Rondale is expected back for Purdue's next game (which they also say is at Wisconsin).
I get that we're all disappointed to not have Rondale this week, but that is a position at which Purdue has others who can step up/in. Not claiming anyone is at his level of ability but there are other 4 and high 3 star recruits in the "stable" whom I'm sure are itching to show their ability. Those guys(most with another year in the system now) combined with the other areas of improvement and gains in experience/depth make me feel better about tomorrow and the start to this year. Next man up, let's get after it!

Yeah, those rumors are incorrect

Reactions: Zaphod_B and BBG
I have never seen that label applied to him.

I doubt any opponents would label him as fragile.

While it may only be a minor injury, NJM8845 has a point. Rondale missed three quarters of the season last year and has an undisclosed injury starting out this year. While its certainly within his and the coaching staffs right to be less than transparent about what the issue is, it certainly could cause some to be concerned about Rondale's durability.

In my view Rondale is going to need to walk a fine line between being too careful and not risking further injury in order to put himself in the best position in the draft.

Read the "cons" in the linked article.

If he is out for a few games I wouldn't be surprised if he just says F it and opts out again. Seems like a diva in the first place who is him> team.

Reactions: Lionheart1
“If” a physical injury his draft status has to be taking another hit. NFL not big on paying guys who don’t see the field.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Let’s not forget that Rondale originally opted out of the season due to covid concerns. Maybe with the recent flare ups he is opting out temporarily. Would explain why there is no word on an injury.

While it may only be a minor injury, NJM8845 has a point. Rondale missed three quarters of the season last year and has an undisclosed injury starting out this year. While its certainly within his and the coaching staffs right to be less than transparent about what the issue is, it certainly could cause some to be concerned about Rondale's durability.

In my view Rondale is going to need to walk a fine line between being too careful and not risking further injury in order to put himself in the best position in the draft.

Read the "cons" in the linked article.

Didn't say he doesn't have a point, but that label can be thrown around cavalierly.

his injury last year wasn't one for someone "injury prone".

A hamstring pull is something many athletes encounter.

Sometimes this board goes down pointless rabbit trails like this.

ESPN reported Rondale Moore is expected for Week 2 at Illinois.
Not getting my hopes up this time.

Of course they will say available for week 2. They want Illinois to game plan for him. About Friday they will say unavailable. I will only get excited when I see him on the field.

Reactions: Inspector100
This thing is starting to get weird. Brohm won't give any clues as to why Rondale is not playing. I'm starting to think it is not injury related, as they have never shied away from at least generally stating when a guy is injured even if they don't want to go into details.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I don't remember if it was during pregame or a cut to Rondale during the game, but they showed him on the sidelines. When he was moving/walking around, I thought he looked as if he were stepping pretty gingerly with maybe a bit of a limp. Just my impression....

Didn't say he doesn't have a point, but that label can be thrown around cavalierly.

his injury last year wasn't one for someone "injury prone".

A hamstring pull is something many athletes encounter.

Sometimes this board goes down pointless rabbit trails like this.

maybe “injury prone” isn’t the correct label. But he’s missed 35% of his career due to injury.

I’ll make a friendly wager that he will not play against Illinois. The extensive history at this point has me extremely skeptical.

maybe “injury prone” isn’t the correct label. But he’s missed 35% of his career due to injury.

I’ll make a friendly wager that he will not play against Illinois. The extensive history at this point has me extremely skeptical.

He had one injury, which would have kept any athlete off the field.

Now, apparently an ailing hamstring. You look up and down the injury reports for all teams, and most are dealing with things like this.

That's just not "injury prone".

If he's 80% this week but another week off would put him near 100% for Wiscy I'd hold him out against IL.

most players don’t miss 35% of their career

You keep citing that, but it still is what it is: one injury that many non- "injury prone" athletes endure, and an alleged hamstring strain/pull, which is one of the most common ailments in sports.

You can try to portray him as "injury prone" as much as you like, but when someone has an injury early in his SO year, your percentages don't really mean anything.

He carried the team his FR year. Was "rode like a rented mule", yet... no injury. Go figure.

And you keep citing that “it’s only one injury”. Well maybe, or maybe not... we don’t have a lot of details on this latest one. Regardless, the number of injuries is irrelevant to me - the games he has been out is what matters.

He only has 7 games left in his career, so I think the percentages do mean something.

i never alleged that his injury was due to overwork, so not really sure how your last paragraph is relevant.

Often in disagreements I think it’s telling to ask “what will change your mind on this?” My mind on his durability will be changed if he plays in at least 6 games this year. How many more games does he have to miss for his durability to finally be a concern for you?

Reactions: wakeman2626
And you keep citing that “it’s only one injury”. Well maybe, or maybe not... we don’t have a lot of details on this latest one. Regardless, the number of injuries is irrelevant to me - the games he has been out is what matters.

He only has 7 games left in his career, so I think the percentages do mean something.

i never alleged that his injury was due to overwork, so not really sure how your last paragraph is relevant.

Often in disagreements I think it’s telling to ask “what will change your mind on this?” My mind on his durability will be changed if he plays in at least 6 games this year. How many more games does he have to miss for his durability to finally be a concern for you?

No, I keep citing what it is. And it is only one injury. (Hells bells, we don't even know if he's got a hamstring problem at the moment.)

I didn't suggest you alleged anything about overwork. Since you're having difficulty, I'll explain it (although I thought I did that). It is this: If you think the kid is injury-prone, that would certainly have reared it's head when he was being leaned on so heavily as a FR. That didn't happen. In fact, he was quite durable!

No, I keep citing what it is. And it is only one injury. (Hells bells, we don't even know if he's got a hamstring problem at the moment.)

I didn't suggest you alleged anything about overwork. Since you're having difficulty, I'll explain it (although I thought I did that). It is this: If you think the kid is injury-prone, that would certainly have reared it's head when he was being leaned on so heavily as a FR. That didn't happen. In fact, he was quite durable!

using that logic, he sure was durable in 2019 as well (until he wasn’t). I don’t know why you’re looking at his one durable season as proof when we’ve stretched into multiple seasons now where there’s an issue. It gives the appearance of cherry picking data to support your argument.

and you haven’t answered my question: How many more games will he have to miss for you to concede that he has durability issues? For me personally, we’ve already reached that threshold. If he plays no more games this year and you’re still saying he’s perfectly durable, then we’ll just have to agree to disagree on what durable means.

Last edited:
Why do I have a sneaky suspicion we’ve seen the last of him on the field. This thing is getting too weird and drawn out, wouldn’t be surprised if he draws this out for a few more games and then with 4/5 games left just calls it a career and prepares for the draft rather than risk injury.

using that logic, he sure was durable in 2019 as well (until he wasn’t). I don’t know why you’re looking at his one durable season as proof when we’ve stretched into multiple seasons now where there’s an issue. It gives the appearance of cherry picking data to support your argument.

and you haven’t answered my question: How many more games will he have to miss for you to concede that he has durability issues? For me personally, we’ve already reached that threshold. If he plays no more games this year and you’re still saying he’s perfectly durable, then we’ll just have to agree to disagree on what durable means.

Dude...
You're taking ONE injury and trying to take us all down a rabbit hole that he's ... "injury prone".

When that's pointed out to you, you want to take the fact that he got injured early in his SOPHOMORE year, and calculate the number of games he missed as your evidence.

I don't think you're engaging in a discussion of logic, so starting a response with, "using that logic", really doesn't fit.

You (nor I) have no idea why he's missing games. Correct? (Yes) Even if he's missing games due to a hamstring, then ... NO. He does not fit the definition of "injury prone".

Not sure why we're now talking about being "durable", other than it appears the "injury prone" really is weak. I've never said he's .... "perfectly durable". And, for you to try to portray me as such really highlights the weakness of your position.

Again, you're taking us down an arbitrary, subjective topic of being "injury prone", which serves no purpose at all, other than to criticize him.

Oh, well. Continue on.

Reactions: mathboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT