ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan State vs Purdue

I think this is a winnable game against a top ten team. Let's talk PU vs MSU.

I definitely think it is winnable.......and I applaud your effort to change the tone around here! Unfortunately, there are too many jokers, trolls, and fools on this site, so getting any real meaningful discussion may take awhile. BTFU!!!!

There is no question Tuesday's MSU home game is indeed winnable, just as yesterday's game at Maryland was very winnable. But unless PU plays (especially their guards) and coaches much better, they will lose. Pretty simple. MSU will definite not beat themselves on Tuesday.

You absolutely can win this game.....and I don't know where some of you get the idea that Izzo trashes PU to recruits. Sheesh, he won Swanigan, even as some "powers" beyond his control got him back in your fold. If anything, it's PU that trashes Izzo.

Should be a good game. Our bigs are playing much better and you're the biggest team on our schedule. Will be interesting to see how Biggie rebounds and Dayonte Davis scores vs bigger, stiffer competition. It will be close game. Gltu. We don't call you Spoilermakers for nothing.

I think this is a winnable game against a top ten team. Let's talk PU vs MSU.

A few things about MSU (in no particularly order)...

1. Rebounding, rebounding, rebounding. Maryland did a decent job against Purdue on the boards. Michigan State and Purdue are the best teams statistically rebounding. Purdue has to really assert itself on the boards.

2. 3 point defense. Michigan State is a big three point shooting team - Purdue's been rather hit and miss on perimeter defense. The good news it that MSU doesn't have big guys that are gonna be shooting 3s. Their top 2 scorers (Valentine and Forbes) shoot 44% and 50% from 3.

4. AJ. Last time we played Michigan State, Costello basically schooled AJ. Costello is the opposite of an AJ personality wise - very outgoing, wears his heart on his sleeve, emotional, etc. It's fine that AJ is not that because how you play on the court is what matters - but AJ's gotta win this battle down low between MSU bigs. Hopefully he has a bad taste in his mouth about this game last year.

5. Turnovers. This plays into the rebounding. MSU is last in the Big Ten at turnover margin. Much like Purdue, this is the only stat that MSU is really below average at in the Big Ten. Knock on wood, Purdue's been doing better with turnovers here and there (still not as consistent as I'd like). But this is a game if Purdue can win the turnover margin and the rebounding margin, they should put themselves in a good spot.

Purdue/MSU games are rarely basketball masterpieces. They are usually a dog fight and hard nosed battles - and not in a pretty way. This is not a game to be soft and the home court will only mean so much (MSU dismantled Michigan yesterday on the road).

Purdue played a hard game yesterday, I'm sure they were worn out and there's a quick turn around to Tuesday. It's going to be a tough one.

Definitely a winnable game. As said in a long post above, 2016 Purdue is playing so much less physically and mentally tough than Purdue teams of the past. It's going to be hard to beat MSU without some attitude and toughness on full display. Should be interesting.

You absolutely can win this game.....and I don't know where some of you get the idea that Izzo trashes PU to recruits. Sheesh, he won Swanigan, even as some "powers" beyond his control got him back in your fold. If anything, it's PU that trashes Izzo.

Should be a good game. Our bigs are playing much better and you're the biggest team on our schedule. Will be interesting to see how Biggie rebounds and Dayonte Davis scores vs bigger, stiffer competition. It will be close game. Gltu. We don't call you Spoilermakers for nothing.
Please don't think FoolmeOnce is representative of the Purdue fan base. He has some sort of emotional anger tied to the Purdue's team success, and likes to talk a lot about anger in sports. In my experience, it is the calm cool collected athlete that bests the emotional type. We need assin types like Etwaan Moore to get this done, and not guys that get tossed in the first 3 minutes for throwing elbows.

:cool:

Michigan State looked pretty solid against Michigan in Ann Arbor. They are playing much better than they were a couple weeks ago.

Michigan State looked pretty solid against Michigan in Ann Arbor. They are playing much better than they were a couple weeks ago.

Everyone seems to be looking solid playing against Michigan these days. MSU is a good team but one that we should be able to take care of on our home court if we are legitimately good. I think there has to be a line drawn somewhere. At least for me, I can't continue to think we're very good if we don't ever beat anyone that is good. This is a home game against a legit top ten team. It's a game we need to win or else we are just not as good as most of us thought we would be.

Reactions: Cleanface
Everyone seems to be looking solid playing against Michigan these days. MSU is a good team but one that we should be able to take care of on our home court if we are legitimately good. I think there has to be a line drawn somewhere. At least for me, I can't continue to think we're very good if we don't ever beat anyone that is good. This is a home game against a legit top ten team. It's a game we need to win or else we are just not as good as most of us thought we would be.

Agreed. And MSU isn't special. They have been solid and won some great games (Kansas, Maryland, Louisville) but they have also lost to Wisky, Nebraska and Iowa twice. We need this game because it's not only the next one, but another chance for a marquee win, our last chance in the regular season besides Maryland. We have a few chances for good wins (@ IU or @ Michigan) but only 2 chances for a special win and a chance to gain momentum and have any chance for a good seed (good to me = 1-3).

Reactions: TC4THREE
This is MUST WIN. I don't care how we win it or by how much or whatever, but this game has to be a win. Bring the fury, play desperate.

Reactions: TC4THREE
True and we should give MSU credit but that wasn't a very good effort by Michigan. If we play with that same effort MSU will win.

Big discussion on our boards re Swanigan and how he'll be tomorrow night. Some of us think he would have been a huge addition to our squad this year. Some don't think he'd have gotten 1/2 as many minutes under Izzo as Painter. That's just Izzo. Nevertheless, I've followed you guys almost as closely as my Spartans.
This will be a serious game. I think the best game in the B1G this year, so far. We have IU in EL on Sunday. This is a big week for us. Gotta get into that top 4 in B1G and get that BTT bye. GLTU. Have a good game. Keady and Judd Heathcoat were big buds. Always remembered that. By the book kinda guys.

It's very simple. This game IS winnable...and is a MUST win. It's past time for a signature win. This must be one. BOILER UP!! Oh, and since I have a bet with an MSU friend on the game.. ;-)

Last edited:
It's time for the seniors to step up. RD has to be more aggressive offensively. Hammons needs to pass to our wings more. If he gets three or more assists,we'll be hard to beat.

There should be no problem getting motivated for this game. This game has serious NCAA seeding implications. We have to play physical, but under control. I also think we need to be willing to take some of the open jumpers we seem to pass up.

Big discussion on our boards re Swanigan and how he'll be tomorrow night. Some of us think he would have been a huge addition to our squad this year. Some don't think he'd have gotten 1/2 as many minutes under Izzo as Painter. That's just Izzo. Nevertheless, I've followed you guys almost as closely as my Spartans.
This will be a serious game. I think the best game in the B1G this year, so far. We have IU in EL on Sunday. This is a big week for us. Gotta get into that top 4 in B1G and get that BTT bye. GLTU. Have a good game. Keady and Judd Heathcoat were big buds. Always remembered that. By the book kinda guys.

I gotta ask...what is GLTU?

BTW: I will be a MSU fan on Sunday - POTFH!

It's been five years. Due? Last time it took an unbelievable totally in the zone performance by a Purdue player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT