ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan - Purdue

mathboy

All-American
Feb 4, 2004
Michigan
With all the uproar about beating MSU, and the upcoming IU game, Michigan seems to be lost in between. I hope the team is focused on these guys. With Lavert coming back this game, I expcet the Wolverines to be really up for us. This has all the earmarks of a trap game.

My impression of UM is a team of tall, great shooting guards with little under the basket horse power. ALmost the converse of our team. They are a bad match up for our guards, and we are a bad match up for their front line.

Anyb ody know what the current betting line is?

:cool:

Is Lavert coming back for this game? He didn't even participate in the pre-game warmups last night.

Either way... I was wondering last night watching some of the Michigan game if it would benefit Purdue more if Lavert did come back. Michigan played well last night, except for almost blowing that big lead. Do people think there would be any rust on Lavert's game or getting back in the flow with his teammates that might hurt Michigan more than help them? He's a great player so probably not, but the thought crossed my mind.

This is a huge game for us just because it's a road game against a quality team that we are capable of winning if we play well.

If we can keep the game in the halfcourt and not give them a ton of open looks from 3 then I like our chances.

Huge game for Purdue. Great chance to steal a road win against a likely NCAA tournament team. A win would at least keep Purdue in the B1G title conversation.

The Lavert factor adds some intrigue. I'm sure his presence will provide an emotional/psychological boost. We won't know how well he can play until game time.

Man, am I glad they beat Minnesota last night. I did not want our guys to have to go into Ann Arbor and face a Michigan team on a 3-game skid. I'm sure they're already peeved over their last two home losses.

With all the uproar about beating MSU, and the upcoming IU game, Michigan seems to be lost in between. I hope the team is focused on these guys. With Lavert coming back this game, I expcet the Wolverines to be really up for us. This has all the earmarks of a trap game.

My impression of UM is a team of tall, great shooting guards with little under the basket horse power. ALmost the converse of our team. They are a bad match up for our guards, and we are a bad match up for their front line.

Anyb ody know what the current betting line is?

:cool:
Vegas lines aren't released this far out, but my guess is it will open within +/- 2 points either way. I wouldn't over react to the result of the first meeting as it was a single sample and at Mackey. Statistically this should be a very evenly matched game with home court taken into consideration.

Is Lavert coming back for this game? He didn't even participate in the pre-game warmups last night.

Either way... I was wondering last night watching some of the Michigan game if it would benefit Purdue more if Lavert did come back. Michigan played well last night, except for almost blowing that big lead. Do people think there would be any rust on Lavert's game or getting back in the flow with his teammates that might hurt Michigan more than help them? He's a great player so probably not, but the thought crossed my mind.
You'd have to think that this would be at least a slight problem early on (1st half maybe?). Timing, rhythm, etc. can take a little time getting back into a grove. I'm trying to remember a recent instance where a good-to-really-good player missed time for a significant injury, came back, and dominated in that first game back. Anybody have any recollections?

You'd have to think that this would be at least a slight problem early on (1st half maybe?). Timing, rhythm, etc. can take a little time getting back into a grove. I'm trying to remember a recent instance where a good-to-really-good player missed time for a significant injury, came back, and dominated in that first game back. Anybody have any recollections?

I was thinking maybe Valentine this year, but I looked up his stats after he came back. Mediocre first game back and then a few decent games in their next three, all of which MSU lost.

Anyone see anything more regarding Lavert's status for tomorrow's game?

Just trying to get some non-IU discussion going around here...

Anyone see anything more regarding Lavert's status for tomorrow's game?

Just trying to get some non-IU discussion going around here...
Good luck with that... Seems like the IU trolls are everywhere!

I'll try to help. Vegasinsider has Lavert listed as doubtful and PU a -1 favorite.

Good luck with that... Seems like the IU trolls are everywhere!

I'll try to help. Vegasinsider has Lavert listed as doubtful and PU a -1 favorite.
I know Michigan isn't as good as what some people expected them to be, but this is still going to be a tough game. Kind of surprised to see Purdue favored here just given that it's on the road and Michigan can get hot from the perimeter. But I guess at 1-pt, who's the favorite vs. who's the underdog is pretty meaningless.

I know Michigan isn't as good as what some people expected them to be, but this is still going to be a tough game. Kind of surprised to see Purdue favored here just given that it's on the road and Michigan can get hot from the perimeter. But I guess at 1-pt, who's the favorite vs. who's the underdog is pretty meaningless.
Agreed. It opened as a pick'em and then moved to PU -1. I personally think this is a dangerous game for us. MI is due for a game where they can't miss and I'm hoping this isn't it!!

I think the posters on here are more likely to be looking ahead to IU than the players. They know what their position is in the B1G and what their season mission is. I think they will approach it as business as usual. Big plus for me is now they've proven to themselves that they can overcome adversity and win games in the clutch.

Man, I hope Purdue players aren't looking ahead to Indiana! There are two big games before heading down to Bloomington.

Purdue needs to dig in their collective heels and find a way to win both.

Have a big week this week! Deal with Indiana next week!

LeVert is out.

Seems like an...interesting...issue. Maybe just not managed well by Michigan, but there's a lot of chatter about him holding himself out, etc.

In terms of Michigan, they lost a couple games at home, but to good teams. At the end of the day, they're still 18-7 and their 4 losses in the Big Ten are all to ranked teams (and they beat Maryland). The people saying this team isn't that good - I don't know if I'd say that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT