ADVERTISEMENT

Micah S.

PaBoiler78

All-American
Jan 18, 2002
what the hell was he bitching about in the 2nd half? didn't call a charge on his one player, no call then complained when his player barrelled into Loyer. He topped it off w/ a blow by handshake to Painter, lack of class to a guy who helped you get to a better place in life.

Someone needs to remind Shrews that Izzo is the league Cryer. I know he's frustrated and also probably is putting on a bit of a show to see if it earns him any favor, but not a great look.

what the hell was he bitching about in the 2nd half? didn't call a charge on his one player, no call then complained when his player barrelled into Loyer. He topped it off w/ a blow by handshake to Painter, lack of class to a guy who helped you get to a better place in life.
Should’ve been yelling at himself. He coached an awful 2nd half.

He mentioned that during the Michigan game a conference official didn’t know his name - if true that speaks volumes of how bad the conference officials are. It also speaks to why we haven’t actually had a team contend for a title in 20 years. I mean, Purdue before conference play led the country in fouls against. Now, no where near the top. That doesn’t make sense.

I thought I saw them laughing in the handshake line.

Also Painter sign up to agree to come play in this mad house!!!! Could have said no way we are playing in the mausoleum you call a home area but choose the harder path.
As weird as it sounds, I think playing in an environment like the Palestra rather than the tomb gives us a better chance to win. For whatever reason, we (and other teams) struggle with the "unique" environment of having no one in the stands. It throws them off. Also, we get the benefit of a better environment to prepare for the tournament.

As weird as it sounds, I think playing in an environment like the Palestra rather than the tomb gives us a better chance to win. For whatever reason, we (and other teams) struggle with the "unique" environment of having no one in the stands. It throws them off. Also, we get the benefit of a better environment to prepare for the tournament.

I could see Painter agree to a game with Villanova there with a return date in Indianapolis or something like that. These games/experiences are good for Purdue, IMO.

Maybe they will revisit that NET determination - would be good for Purdue to get another QUAD 1 win out of that.....not sure how that process works.

He mentioned that during the Michigan game a conference official didn’t know his name - if true that speaks volumes of how bad the conference officials are. It also speaks to why we haven’t actually had a team contend for a title in 20 years. I mean, Purdue before conference play led the country in fouls against. Now, no where near the top. That doesn’t make sense.

Big Ten officiating is institutionally terrible. Its football out there

I thought yesterday’s game was reffed perfectly, let the players play and determine the game, game was quick and had a good flow. Purdue probably did benefit a bit, however, that game was won by the players not the refs, I like seeing that.

Hell when they called him for a T his player had just fouled Gillis twice on a break away. I think that is why the ref was so quick. They were letting them play and pound the shit out of Edey as usual.

I thought yesterday’s game was reffed perfectly, let the players play and determine the game, game was quick and had a good flow. Purdue probably did benefit a bit, however, that game was won by the players not the refs, I like seeing that.

Several years back, that's how DJ Carstensen used to call games primarily, and he "T'd" up Shrewsberry. Somewhere he "lost his way" the last few years......maybe he has had an epiphany and brought it to Courtney Green? Haha......we can dream, can't we?

It will be really interesting how the Penn State/Indiana game gets called this week in Bloomington.

I don't understand why coaches, fans and players always blame the BIG 10 refs for their problems and losses. The BIG 10 refs haven't changed in 20 years. Rather than compaining, do what Wade boggs and Tony Gwynn did. Do some research on the refs and find out what and how they call, and then make your game plans accordingly. Boggs was famous for knowing the umpires and their strike zones. he knew what would be called a ball, so he refused to swing until he got a good pitch to swing at.

Surely BIG 10 coaches know what the BIG 10 refs are going to call and also what they can get away with. The smart coach is the one that uses that knowledge and plans accordingly.

Sometimes, it appears a coach is really frustrated with his team or a certain player. he can't publically berate his player or team. that would be bad for team chemistry and the locker room. So instead of calling out his player(s), he berates the refs instead.

it's time people realized what coaches are really doing. Some of it is to save face. some of it is posturing. and some of i is because the coach doesn't want to say what he's really thinking, but he knows he has to say something. So it's better to talk bad about the refs.

and fans do the exact same thing. You know or should know what each ref is going to call. rather than yelling that should be a foul or traveling, do some research. the refs are going to call what they always or never call. Edey is being treated the same way that haas and every big man before him was treated. the ref haven't changed no matter how many times Painter or the fans have complained.

Reactions: FiveWeight
Hell when they called him for a T his player had just fouled Gillis twice on a break away. I think that is why the ref was so quick. They were letting them play and pound the shit out of Edey as usual.

He did acknowledge that a little......basically saying a total of 10 FT's for both teams in a game that physical was ridiculous. If you call ALL of them, Penn State would have had serious foul trouble, IMO.

This game was a culmination of building frustration apparently. I hadn't a whole lot of Penn State before today - did catch some of the ACC Challenge game and some of their loss to Michigan State. Pickett is really tough, but they collectively have problems in second halves it appears.

Several years back, that's how DJ Carstensen used to call games primarily, and he "T'd" up Shrewsberry. Somewhere he "lost his way" the last few years......maybe he has had an epiphany and brought it to Courtney Green? Haha......we can dream, can't we?

It will be really interesting how the Penn State/Indiana game gets called this week in Bloomington.
That games at Penn State I thought?

Reactions: delarno
He did acknowledge that a little......basically saying a total of 10 FT's for both teams in a game that physical was ridiculous. If you call ALL of them, Penn State would have had serious foul trouble, IMO.

This game was a culmination of building frustration apparently. I hadn't a whole lot of Penn State before today - did catch some of the ACC Challenge game and some of their loss to Michigan State. Pickett is really tough, but they collectively have problems in second halves it appears.
Edey got grabbed, and then 2-hand SHOVED, on a putback. No call. Should have been an and one.

Maybe a poorly officiated game, but the non calls went both ways.

Reactions: Schnelk
Edey got grabbed, and then 2-hand SHOVED, on a putback. No call. Should have been an and one.

Maybe a poorly officiated game, but the non calls went both ways.

Not arguing, New Pal.....wait until Purdue plays Michigan State (in two games) and Wisconsin. Now, I think the single play with the Badgers is really late in the season this year, IIRC.

I think they called it the same through the whole game and didn't change at halftime which even called bad I am OK with. The one no call where it was a charge loyer took and they didn't call anything at all was interesting, that much contact something has to be called.
Watched iu game yesterday first half 15 minutes into game before iu was called for first foul in first half (nw had 3 at that time) . Second half both teams had 6 fouls each within the first five minutes, this is what always aggravates me like it's completely called different in halves. Just be consistent even if bad...

Reactions: Schnelk and TX4GB
Oh I meant the IU game.

You are right......I stand corrected and am wrong again.

EnergeticSeveralArmyant-size_restricted.gif

I think they called it the same through the whole game and didn't change at halftime which even called bad I am OK with. The one no call where it was a charge loyer took and they didn't call anything at all was interesting, that much contact something has to be called.
Watched iu game yesterday first half 15 minutes into game before iu was called for first foul in first half (nw had 3 at that time) . Second half both teams had 6 fouls each within the first five minutes, this is what always aggravates me like it's completely called different in halves. Just be consistent even if bad...
your last sentence is one of Al McGuire's famous lines

Reactions: Rutherak1
Even the announcers (Robbie Hummel) pointed out that they had no clue what play that made him so angry, prompting the technical violation and free throws.

I think he just freaked out because he saw the game slipping away. That's a shame. He should have acted in a much different fashion, including the post-game handshake.

I could see Painter agree to a game with Villanova there with a return date in Indianapolis or something like that. These games/experiences are good for Purdue, IMO.

Maybe they will revisit that NET determination - would be good for Purdue to get another QUAD 1 win out of that.....not sure how that process works.
Yeah, the neutral site thing is BS. The conference scheduled this as a Penn State home game. Penn State chose to hold one of its 10 conference home games at a different venue. That decision makes perfect sense from their perspective, but it doesn't make it a neutral site. Purdue's ticket allotment was the same as for any other road game.

Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT