ADVERTISEMENT

May Team Update

BoilerPride08

Senior
May 18, 2006
Mike Carmin had an update about the team today, not too much info but one notable news is that incoming freshman Ainhoa Holzer suffered a knee injury recently and will redshirt this season. Not a super big blow as we are pretty set at PG this year. Also, mentioned something about adding another guard from the portal - kind of surprising as I figured we need a little more post help at the moment, but perhaps a Grad transfer PG to help with depth for a year. KG is excited about Smith and thinks she can make a big sophomore jump. Athletically, she provides something no one else on the team does. She def thinks Harper will help out a lot and compares Potts to IU's Grace Berger.

Link

Last edited:
Oh wow, sounds like a torn ACL then if she needs to RS for the season. Sorry to hear that.

I think yeah, we really need to get more transfers to boost up the roster. Versyp didn't leave CKG a whole lot. Getting a good transfer buys us another year for Smith and Layden to grow into a dominant role.

Reactions: DocRon
Agree, but still think another front line player would not hurt. Perhaps KG just does not see any viable. But I still see this as dangerously thin that will bite us the same way it did last year. Let's face it. Interior D killed us last year and I see no reason to think that it would not still be a problem. Hope I am wrong, but all I see is Woltman, Harper ( an unknown)and Stoddard ( an unknown) and Learn may have to play there again, but not ideal for her. Right now, including Harper, we have just 8 players with experience. But I am not negative about KG or the team. It just really is hard to turn a down program around significantly.

Agree, but still think another front line player would not hurt. Perhaps KG just does not see any viable. But I still see this as dangerously thin that will bite us the same way it did last year. Let's face it. Interior D killed us last year and I see no reason to think that it would not still be a problem. Hope I am wrong, but all I see is Woltman, Harper ( an unknown)and Stoddard ( an unknown) and Learn may have to play there again, but not ideal for her. Right now, including Harper, we have just 8 players with experience. But I am not negative about KG or the team. It just really is hard to turn a down program around significantly.
They should probably add two grad transfers really, get a big and a guard.

Reactions: illiniboiler
I definitely think there have been plenty of post players that entered the portal that would help us this year. Starters? Probably not but adding one more for depth or in case of an injury would be smart. We are at 11 players now and suspect us having a 9 maybe 10 player rotation. Which we have right now down pat, I don't see a player available right now in the portal that will easily break that rotation - but we are 1 injury away from being exactly in the same position in the post as last year so if I was coaching I would get another post for insurance/depth reasons.

Reactions: DocRon
I definitely think there have been plenty of post players that entered the portal that would help us this year. Starters? Probably not but adding one more for depth or in case of an injury would be smart. We are at 11 players now and suspect us having a 9 maybe 10 player rotation. Which we have right now down pat, I don't see a player available right now in the portal that will easily break that rotation - but we are 1 injury away from being exactly in the same position in the post as last year so if I was coaching I would get another post for insurance/depth reasons.
My guess is they’ll bring in 1 or maybe 2 more depth/Graduate players. Heck have Gony and the other girl that transferred from Ark committed elsewhere? If not why not bring them back?

ADVERTISEMENT