ADVERTISEMENT

Maui is loaded

As I mentioned in another thread— UNC I think proved what many already know. That these early season tournaments mean very little except in the sense that they provide an opportunity to try different things out against other good teams. It doesn’t make sense to call it a “test” imho because the teams aren’t anything close to a finished product. They are only just getting the opportunity to play games together.

It’s great that we are being invited to ones with good teams, maybe that is reflective of the national perception of Purdue. But I just can’t get as invested in them anymore.

Just noticed that’s in 2023 anyways. Don’t we have a similar tournament schedule in 2022?
Purdue will be MUCH better situated for that in '23 than '22...as, THAT is flat loaded...to a point that if it were this year, I would have been happy if Purdue won a game (aside of Chaminade).

Reactions: indyogb
Anyone thinking of going -- give it a go. Great fun joining Purdue people there in the middle of paradise. Our extended family went in 1999 and 2006. Met folks like Wayne Duke and Bill Raftery. My wife started off posing at the banquet with Purdue -- Cardinal, McQuay, Cunningham, Robinson, Cornell -- then chased down the other seven teams over the next few days and in turn met Henry Bibby’s request to take USC’s team shot on the beach for their media guide. The gym is very intimate, smaller than most high schools, but packed with loud Boilers. Once we sat right behind the Purdue bench. Could’ve offered in-game advice to Landry and Teague. Would have with a few more Mai-Tais. There’s also dinner cruises, tours, golf, shops, pools and beaches. All topped by a luau for Thanksgiving. Boilers up!

This is Purdue's big tourney this year.
Duke, Gonzaga, WV, X, Fla, +.

Reactions: DAG10
Glad it is in two years. Libtards that run Hawaii still fretting about COVID. Maybe by then they will allow spectators... maybe....

just came back. restaurants had open tables but two hour waits... indoor mask requirements too and the sheep all wore them faithfully. At least they have rental cars again. 12 months ago, none. Pathetic leadership.

But alas, we will be there for this (God willing - knock on wood).
Missed a 2 week Hawaii trip due to their insane Covid policies. Honestly, I barely even think about Covid anymore. Everything has been back to normal for awhile where I live.

Missed a 2 week Hawaii trip due to their insane Covid policies. Honestly, I barely even think about Covid anymore. Everything has been back to normal for awhile where I live.
The US media mysteriously decided to stop talking about it. Maybe because Pfizer released their data with side effects. Only in select pockets is the virus still considered a crisis situation that can be solved by "vaccines" and wearing masks.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I live in Kauai. We have vacation rental business there and can say we are on track to have our best year since traveling restrictions were lifted in April 21. The mask restrictions were lifted last month which I can say was overkill. Part of the problem with the Hawaiian Islands is they have limited ER beds. On Kauai they have less than 10 beds island wide.

Glad we put ourselves in a position for national exposure and to play quality teams. I don’t care if we win or lose. Good experience for our guys.

I live in Kauai. We have vacation rental business there and can say we are on track to have our best year since traveling restrictions were lifted in April 21. The mask restrictions were lifted last month which I can say was overkill. Part of the problem with the Hawaiian Islands is they have limited ER beds. On Kauai they have less than 10 beds island wide.
don't forget that the native Hawaiians don't like us. Kind of like the native americans, they would like to go back to a time that there was no electricity, no gas engines, only peace and harmony.... (like there was ever such a thing). People that came after them stole their land. Meanwhile they want our money.... Hawaii is very expensive with the worst political leadership of any state. That's what you get if you want some paradise because there is no place on earth that is better....

don't forget that the native Hawaiians don't like us. Kind of like the native americans, they would like to go back to a time that there was no electricity, no gas engines, only peace and harmony.... (like there was ever such a thing). People that came after them stole their land. Meanwhile they want our money.... Hawaii is very expensive with the worst political leadership of any state. That's what you get if you want some paradise because there is no place on earth that is better....
As long as you own your house Hawaii is surprisingly good for retirees

thinking of joining you... at least for a couple months per year. How did you choose Kauai? Any boilers around? How is the golf there?
32 years ago we honeymooned there and always loved it there. We had a time share on the North Shore until we bought our first home in 2013 on the South Shore that we made into a vacation rental. A year later we bought the house next door and renovated and opened as another vacation rental. Last year we purchased the house we currently live in and sold our first vacation rental house.

There’s a number Boilers on island with the most famous being Drew Brees. There’s also a huge Boiler donor that I became friends with who lives part time in our neighborhood.

Golf is world class. There’s 4 great courses 2 of which hosted the Grand Slam. We went to 3 of them

The only drawback is making the adjustment to quick service. We got spoiled on the mainland

University sports forums are not suitable venues for political jibes like calling public health officials "libtards." It's especially unjustified in this case. I just looked up the COVID statistics, and Hawaii has had 2 cases per 100K; the US overall has had 24 cases per 100K. Hawaii has had 1 COVID death per 100K; the US has had 30. Hawaii decided to protect their hospitals and their people, and they succeeded far better than the rest of the US.

Ok to take your mask off now dude. Destroying an economy on some libtard fantasy calls for.contempt. deserved and justified.

University sports forums are not suitable venues for political jibes like calling public health officials "libtards." It's especially unjustified in this case. I just looked up the COVID statistics, and Hawaii has had 2 cases per 100K; the US overall has had 24 cases per 100K. Hawaii has had 1 COVID death per 100K; the US has had 30. Hawaii decided to protect their hospitals and their people, and they succeeded far better than the rest of the US.
By now everyone should know that these numbers cannot be blindly accepted. The reporting of Covid cases and deaths has been notoriously inconsistent across the country. Some of it has been outright fraud, a product of incentivising the reporting of more cases.

By now everyone should know that these numbers cannot be blindly accepted. The reporting of Covid cases and deaths has been notoriously inconsistent across the country. Some of it has been outright fraud, a product of incentivising the reporting of more cases.
as the poster said, this is a SPORTS forum, not a political one. You want me to start posting about my son and his outdoor track season results? they were at U of tenn this weekend.

as the poster said, this is a SPORTS forum, not a political one. You want me to start posting about my son and his outdoor track season results? they were at U of tenn this weekend. I'm tired of the political name calling on this forum. should we, the majority, start calling you losers because you lost? keep your political name calling to your self.

lost what? huh?

Post was a complaint about the bad side of visiting Hawaii for potential boiler fans going there to watch the Maui challenge. A paradise run by fools for those who have never been there... i know there are a few DC woketards that would be offended because they get offended so easily. Didnt know we had some on this forum... maybe one or two? Not the majority for sure.

Last edited:
as the poster said, this is a SPORTS forum, not a political one. You want me to start posting about my son and his outdoor track season results? they were at U of tenn this weekend.
Nothing political in my post. And you criticized someone in another thread for lack of reading comprehension. Very funny. lol

From Wolegib to Wolegib:
"as the poster said, this is a SPORTS forum, not a political one. You want me to start posting about my son and his outdoor track season results? they were at U of tenn this weekend. I'm tired of the political name calling on this forum. should we, the majority, start calling you losers because you lost? keep your political name calling to your self."

???

Wole, are you now arguing with yourself? Responding to yourself? You have fallen from a sad state to an even sadder state.

Kauai is still our favorite since honeymoon days. Say hi to Mitzi Gaynor for us on Lumahai Beach. Or Hanalei Pier. Bali Hai’s still calling.

I understand there were a lot more beds in use back when Elvis was at Coco Palms.

Reactions: BSIT
Heaven forbid having to get a shot or wear a mask. It’s much better to challenge that terribly misleading American death count. No way it’s 984,000. More like 983,980.

A million Americans would love to thank you for all your efforts. If they only could.

Kauai is still our favorite since honeymoon days. Say hi to Mitzi Gaynor for us on Lumahai Beach. Or Hanalei Pier. Bali Hai’s still calling.

I understand there were a lot more beds in use back when Elvis was at Coco Palms.
. Our favorite too. We had our honeymoon there 32 years ago.

Coco Palms is a controversial issue on Kauai. It’s an eye sore since it hasn’t been repaired since 92 when the island had a direct hurricane hit. It has been purchased many times only for the developers to file bankruptcy and bail. There’s now talk of making in a cultural center or common use area for the residents.

The South Shore is booming and there are a lot more rooms on island through vacation home rentals.

Heaven forbid having to get a shot or wear a mask. It’s much better to challenge that terribly misleading American death count. No way it’s 984,000. More like 983,980.

A million Americans would love to thank you for all your efforts. If they only could.
Wear your mask at the games so we know who to laugh at... please... ha ha.

Laughing in the face of death. Truly impressive.

The last and best laughs, though, would come from your mug being uncovered.
Follow the science, not emotion.

The Mayo Clinic's response:
Face masks combined with other preventive measures, such as getting vaccinated, frequent hand-washing and physical distancing, can help slow the spread of the virus that causes COVID-19.

I would add that wearing a mask combined with a polio vaccine can help prevent polio.

Wearing a mask combined with proper diet, exercise, and 8 hours of sleep each night can help prevent heart disease.

Wearing a mask combined with proper auto maintenance and safe driving can help prevent auto accidents.

Reactions: mathboy
Follow the science, not emotion.

The Mayo Clinic's response:
Face masks combined with other preventive measures, such as getting vaccinated, frequent hand-washing and physical distancing, can help slow the spread of the virus that causes COVID-19.

I would add that wearing a mask combined with a polio vaccine can help prevent polio.

Wearing a mask combined with proper diet, exercise, and 8 hours of sleep each night can help prevent heart disease.

Wearing a mask combined with proper auto maintenance and safe driving can help prevent auto accidents.

You’ve cited the Mayo Clinic ... where two of my cousins have long worked. Two doctors at that. Suppose I try to advise them that wearing masks is unscientific and unnecessary and they should pass the word for everyone there to stop doing so.

Follow the million deaths, not the irrationally self-righteous and fitfully self-centered. It’s about having respect for others and their welfare as well as self-preservation.

Our family wore masks indoors before immunizations and then wherever asked, like at Purdue games, and, despite ages spanning over a century, none of us died. It wasn’t just dumb luck.

You’ve cited the Mayo Clinic ... where two of my cousins have long worked. Two doctors at that. Suppose I try to advise them that wearing masks is unscientific and unnecessary and they should pass the word for everyone there to stop doing so.

Follow the million deaths, not the irrationally self-righteous and fitfully self-centered. It’s about having respect for others and their welfare as well as self-preservation.

Our family wore masks indoors before immunizations and then wherever asked, like at Purdue games, and, despite ages spanning over a century, none of us died. It wasn’t just dumb luck.
I think this has become so political that common sense has been thrown out the window. Instead officials are trying to implement a one size fits all approach. IMO I think it’s silly to still require kids to wear masks. Early pandemic yes but not now.

We have friends who are dentists and one is married to a Cardiologist. Come to find out he was in a meeting sitting between 2 other cardiologists but he was the only one wearing N95 mask and he didn’t get Covid but the other 2 did. Also I’m currently at Irvine CA recovering from surgery for a pacemaker upgrade to a pacemaker/defibrillator combo. My cardiologist is great and said he has seen a drop in his hospital staff flu rate. As a result, he thinks he may continue to wear even after the pandemic ends.

Reactions: Born Boiler
I think this has become so political that common sense has been thrown out the window. Instead officials are trying to implement a one size fits all approach. IMO I think it’s silly to still require kids to wear masks. Early pandemic yes but not now.

We have friends who are dentists and one is married to a Cardiologist. Come to find out he was in a meeting sitting between 2 other cardiologists but he was the only one wearing N95 mask and he didn’t get Covid but the other 2 did. Also I’m currently at Irvine CA recovering from surgery for a pacemaker upgrade to a pacemaker/defibrillator combo. My cardiologist is great and said he has seen a drop in his hospital staff flu rate. As a result, he thinks he may continue to wear even after the pandemic ends.

Making it a political issue sure didn’t help save any lives.

Reactions: BSIT

Good grief. Did you actually read the Mayo Clinic response?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT