ADVERTISEMENT

Mass Shootings in America: Anatomy of a Hyped Statistic

SDBoiler1

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
New Haven, CT
For years, we've been told that the US has more deadly mass shootings than anywhere else in the world. That's just not true.

According to researcher John R. Lott, Jr., the world's Top10 list for mass public shootings over the last 15 years are:
1) India
2) Iraq
3) Pakistan
4) Afghanistan
5) Algeria
6) Columbia
7) Nigeria
8) Philippines
9) USA
10) Sudan

Many of these nations are considered third-world, no doubt.

In it, Lott has some eye-opening statistics. For starters, in the just last 15 years of the 47-year period covered in the NYPD and Lankford reports, Lott found 1,448 mass public shootings -- and 3,081 shooters -- outside the United States. This means he discovered 15 times as many mass killers as Lankford in less than one-third the time frame.

It also means that instead of having 31 percent of the world’s mass shootings, the United States has fewer than 3 percent. The key takeaway here is that, with 4.4 percent of the world’s population, the U.S. has less than its share of mass murderers, a finding that utterly undermines the prevailing narrative.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/a...rica_anatomy_of_a_hyped_statistic_137960.html

Well as long as its happening in those places, who cares! Great company to be in! Keep trying to cover for your white domestic terrorists.

Well as long as its happening in those places, who cares! Great company to be in! Keep trying to cover for your white domestic terrorists.
Sorry that the data doesn’t fit your narrative. Gun control is a moral obligation for the US, you know, because mass killings occur here more often and in much more severe ways than anywhere else in the world. Utter bullshit.

I’ve said it before and will say it again. People with mental issues should not have or be able to get guns. Your screed about white domestic terrorists is laughable. San Bernardino? Orlando night club? Chicago on any given day? Insane people do insane things and this isn’t limited to any race, gender, sex, belief system, or societal status.

For years, we've been told that the US has more deadly mass shootings than anywhere else in the world. That's just not true.

According to researcher John R. Lott, Jr., the world's Top10 list for mass public shootings over the last 15 years are:
1) India
2) Iraq
3) Pakistan
4) Afghanistan
5) Algeria
6) Columbia
7) Nigeria
8) Philippines
9) USA
10) Sudan

In it, Lott has some eye-opening statistics. For starters, in the just last 15 years of the 47-year period covered in the NYPD and Lankford reports, Lott found 1,448 mass public shootings -- and 3,081 shooters -- outside the United States. This means he discovered 15 times as many mass killers as Lankford in less than one-third the time frame.

It also means that instead of having 31 percent of the world’s mass shootings, the United States has fewer than 3 percent. The key takeaway here is that, with 4.4 percent of the world’s population, the U.S. has less than its share of mass murderers, a finding that utterly undermines the prevailing narrative.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/a...rica_anatomy_of_a_hyped_statistic_137960.html

Yes, the number of mass shootings - and hundreds of people dying a year in them - is "hyped". Totally. As long as we're doing better than Afghanistan, we're doing something right!

Maybe we can start doing our water quality comparisons vs. India too. You know, Flint residents should really be grateful for the opportunity to have just elevated levels of lead in their water!

Sorry that the data doesn’t fit your narrative. Gun control is a moral obligation for the US, you know, because mass killings occur here more often and in much more severe ways than anywhere else in the world. Utter bullshit.

I’ve said it before and will say it again. People with mental issues should not have or be able to get guns. Your screed about white domestic terrorists is laughable. San Bernardino? Orlando night club? Chicago on any given day? Insane people do insane things and this isn’t limited to any race, gender, sex, belief system, or societal status.

One of my coworkers is friends with a family that lost a child in the Parkland shooting. Maybe I should send this to her so she can forward it to them and tell them “well these eight countries rank worse than the US so maybe just get over it” and that should help them feel better about losing their child.

Of all of your moronic takes, this might be one of your worst, which is really saying something. “Take heart everyone, it’s worse in Colombia!” You’re such a worthless load, SD. Truly.

Reactions: indy35

1) India
2) Iraq
3) Pakistan
4) Afghanistan
5) Algeria
6) Columbia
7) Nigeria
8) Philippines
9) USA
10) Sudan

All of those... ALL of them.... are third world. 7 of the 10 are havens for large terrorist organizations from Al Qaeda, ISIS, and spinoffs, to the Tamil Tigers, to various AQ spinoffs in the PI; one is a faction divide civil war; one has historically been one of the largest criminal havens in the world; and the other is the US. Hell, three of those countries didn’t/don’t even have functional central governments.

What a ridiculous point that the US accounts for less than its fair share as if we should be proud that we’re not quite as bad as Iraq or Pakistan in terms of mass shootings. This is one of the more idiotic posts I’ve ever read here.

Last edited:
One of my coworkers is friends with a family that lost a child in the Parkland shooting. Maybe I should send this to her so she can forward it to them and tell them “well these eight countries rank worse than the US so maybe just get over it” and that should help them feel better about losing their child.

Of all of your moronic takes, this might be one of your worst, which is really saying something. “Take heart everyone, it’s worse in Colombia!” You’re such a worthless load, SD. Truly.
Eff off. I used to live in Newtown, CT. I personally know families who lost children to that deranged lunatic Adam Lanza. Adam Lanza killed those students, teachers, and administrators. I personally know what it's like for families to lose children to senseless mayhem. People like you always want to make this about guns, when it's Adam Lanza who killed these people. He was mentally unstable. His mother gave him access to weapons even though she knew he was deranged. There was no reason for him to be anywhere near weapons.

Taking away the 2nd Amendment Rights of sane, law-abiding citizens will do ZERO to make America safer. People in places like Chicago get gunned down every day of the week yet people like you don't mention it at all because it doesn't fit your narrative. Guns always bad.

Guns are inanimate objects. By themselves (outside of some Remington rifles), they do not go off without a human being pulling the trigger.

Eff off. I used to live in Newtown, CT. I personally know families who lost children to that deranged lunatic Adam Lanza. Adam Lanza killed those students, teachers, and administrators. I personally know what it's like for families to lose children to senseless mayhem. People like you always want to make this about guns, when it's Adam Lanza who killed these people. He was mentally unstable. His mother gave him access to weapons even though she knew he was deranged. There was no reason for him to be anywhere near weapons.

Taking away the 2nd Amendment Rights of sane, law-abiding citizens will do ZERO to make America safer. People in places like Chicago get gunned down every day of the week yet people like you don't mention it at all because it doesn't fit your narrative. Guns always bad.

Guns are inanimate objects. By themselves (outside of some Remington rifles), they do not go off without a human being pulling the trigger.

I scrolled back through the thread and not one person said anything about taking away 2nd amendment rights for “sane, law-abiding citizens” so I don’t know who the eff you’re even responding to there.

All I see is some dumb thread you started that was moronic even by your below-ground-level standards for which you got rightfully dragged multiple times for, and your response of “guns don’t kill people, people kill people”. In other words, just the lamest attempt at backpedaling and spinning you could have attempted.

You’re truly an idiot, SD. Be proud and #bebest.

I scrolled back through the thread and not one person said anything about taking away 2nd amendment rights for “sane, law-abiding citizens” so I don’t know who the eff you’re even responding to there.

All I see is some dumb thread you started that was moronic even by your below-ground-level standards for which you got rightfully dragged multiple times for, and your response of “guns don’t kill people, people kill people”. In other words, just the lamest attempt at backpedaling and spinning you could have attempted.

You’re truly an idiot, SD. Be proud and #bebest.
Eff off. I'm not backpedaling at all. I'm responding to you. Every thread I've seen on this board that addresses shootings spirals into a gun control debate with people like you. As usual, you respond with no substance of any sort, just personal attacks. You know nothing of my background.

You care so much you wouldn’t support one single thing to keep mass shootings from happening.

From your thread I guess you’re happy having the US being right there with third world free-for-all war zones. USA! USA! USA!

Last edited:

The gun did what the gun was designed to do.

You care so much you wouldn’t support one single thing to keep mass shootings from happening.

From your thread I guess you’re happy having the US being right there with third world free-for-all war zones. USA! USA! USA!
That’s just patently false. I was involved in my state to push for tougher mental health background checks for those who apply for gun permits after to the Newtown shootings. People like Adam Lanza cannot generally get gun permits now. It was eventually passed as part of some of the strictest gun laws on the books.

You are a total p.o.s. who knows zero about me or my background.

I have a friend that lost a 9 yr old son to an illegal immigrant. Maybe I should send some of your open border bullshit to him?

I have a friend that lost a 9 yr old son to an illegal immigrant. Maybe I should send some of your open border bullshit to him?

If you can find where I’ve stated I want open borders for all, then knock yourself right the eff out. I’ll wait.....

If you can find where I’ve stated I want open borders for all, then knock yourself right the eff out. I’ll wait.....

Ways you can tell posters aren't arguing in good faith.

The Right: referencing open borders as the liberal policy
The Left: Ignoring the illegal status of an immigrant and assuming an attack on all immigrants

Reactions: joe for prez

The Left: Ignoring the illegal status of an immigrant and assuming an attack on all immigrants

I agree with you but immigration wasn’t the initial point of this thread. And to be honest, I’m still not sure what the point of the thread was lol

I agree with you but immigration wasn’t the initial point of this thread. And to be honest, I’m still not sure what the point of the thread was lol

Totally agree - just needed to point out the nonsense of the post you were referencing. Now back to our regularly scheduled pissing match on who is better at mass shootings...sigh.

Reactions: PurdueFan1

Can’t argue this

All of those... ALL of them.... are third world. 7 of the 10 are havens for large terrorist organizations from Al Qaeda, ISIS, and spinoffs, to the Tamil Tigers, to various AQ spinoffs in the PI; one is a faction divide civil war; one has historically been one of the largest criminal havens in the world; and the other is the US. Hell, three of those countries didn’t/don’t even have functional central governments.

What a ridiculous point that the US accounts for less than its fair share as if we should be proud that we’re not quite as bad as Iraq or Pakistan in terms of mass shootings. This is one of the more idiotic posts I’ve ever read here.

That was all but admitted in his OP. Personally, having spent much time there, have to say just about all of Africa should be on the list. Do not think he mentioned about being proud of anything.

That said, the point in the OP about where USA stands on the list and media misrepresenting is true. That alone makes it not the most idiotic thing seen here. The OP was a critique of the media, not a praise of the USA.

Should the USA aim to be better by trying to aid NO, south Chicago, Detroit, LA, and Baltimore? No doubt. That would get the number to nil and focus on the real issue-violence.

That was all but admitted in his OP. Personally, having spent much time there, have to say just about all of Africa should be on the list. Do not think he mentioned about being proud of anything.

That said, the point in the OP about where USA stands on the list and media misrepresenting is true. That alone makes it not the most idiotic thing seen here. The OP was a critique of the media, not a praise of the USA.

Should the USA aim to be better by trying to aid NO, south Chicago, Detroit, LA, and Baltimore? No doubt. That would get the number to nil and focus on the real issue-violence.
Every report I ever see states that the US is first in the developed world, which is 100% accurate. Why should the United States compared itself to Sudan? Ever? It’s like you guys want the media to report “Hey, Purdue basketball may not make final fours like Michigan does, but they are a damn sight better than Prarie View A&M!”

Seriously can’t believe you guys are trying to support your argument with this absurd list.

Every report I ever see states that the US is first in the developed world, which is 100% accurate. Seriously can’t believe you guys are trying to support your argument with this absurd list.

Just some of the worst possible takes in this thread. The media is misrepresenting how bad things are in the US? Lol. Just idiocy.

Every report I ever see states that the US is first in the developed world, which is 100% accurate. Why should the United States compared itself to Sudan? Ever? It’s like you guys want the media to report “Hey, Purdue basketball may not make final fours like Michigan does, but they are a damn sight better than Prarie View A&M!”

Seriously can’t believe you guys are trying to support your argument with this absurd list.

It was not my argument. Not sure it was SDBoiler1's point either. Just stating what SD1 in regard to media is legit. There is plenty of data out there on it that has the US barely in the top 100 in many statistical categories in regard to mass crimes. There are issues with comparing countries as not all countries use the same legal definition of a mass shooting/crime.

it is really getting pointless to talk about anything anymore, even in the USA, which is the sad part.

If one is interested in topic I would suggest researching it. Lot of good and surprising information out there. Maybe good old safe Norway is number 1 in some metrics?

By all means the US should try to improve safety/security. Do not think SDBoiler1 implied things were good in this area.

Reactions: ecouch

Seriously?

You support a President who is "thankful" for Alex Jones' support and has appeared on his show. The same Alex Jones who calls Newtown STAGED.

Take you charade elsewhere.

Seriously?

You support a President who is "thankful" for Alex Jones' support and has appeared on his show. The same Alex Jones who calls Newtown STAGED.

Eff off, too. I've NEVER watched an Alex Jones podcast. Alex Jones has ZERO to do with me.

Charade. Tell that to the people I visited after their daughter was mowed down by that lunatic Adam Lanza while her teacher Ms. Soto tried to shield her from the shots. Tell that the parents off the kids whose funerals I attended after Sandy Hook. F%&k off you total a-hole.

Eff off, too. I've NEVER watched an Alex Jones podcast. Alex Jones has ZERO to do with me.

Charade. Tell that to the people I visited after their daughter was mowed down by that lunatic Adam Lanza while her teacher Ms. Soto tried to shield her from the shots. Tell that the parents off the kids whose funerals I attended after Sandy Hook. F%&k off you total a-hole.

Again. You staunchly support the President who likes Alex Jones, the conspiracy theorist who thinks Newtown was fake. Maybe you should tell Trump to f%&k off.

Just stating what SD1 in regard to media is legit. There is plenty of data out there on it that has the US barely in the top 100 in many statistical categories in regard to mass crimes.
It's NOT true. That's the point. And the standard being applied in this argument is just stupid. This statement:

Is asininely stupid, and implies a perfectly equal distribution of mass murders on the planet, meaning that every country everywhere should have the same. The person that posted it either doesn't understand statistics (which I don't think is the case) or he literally thinks the US is the same as Sudan and should be held at the same standard. No, those third world countries should have way, way more than a civilized society like the US, and the US shouldn't even be mentioned in the top 100 in any crime, let alone mass murders, given the resources, education, and everything else at our disposal relative to the other 349 or however many countries in the world. It's just plain stupid. And while you may be reticent to lump yourself in with various arguments, your continued defense of this one makes me think you're just being obtuse, because I don't believe, based on your history here, that you're this dense naturally.

When you find yourself rationalizing how bad the media is because they don't consider the US vs. Sudan in terms of violent crime, you've really got to take a step back and ask yourself why? My opinion? They assume that the average educated American would understand that the US should be far better than Sudan and would rather compare apples to apples (or Purdue to Michigan, not Prairie View). This thread is demonstrating that that assumption may be misplaced, which is wholly disappointing.

Reactions: BuilderBob6
Seriously?

Serious question, SD. Given your proximity to Newtown when those shootings happened, why did you start this thread? Does it really matter where the US ranks in comparison to those countries you had in the list?

I have read and re-read your original post in this thread, and if I didn’t know you were around Newtown when it happened, I would think you were trying to say that the coverage etc of the shootings here is overblown.

I really am curious as to what your original intent was with the initial post because I honestly don’t know.

Again. You staunchly support the President who likes Alex Jones, the conspiracy theorist who thinks Newtown was fake. Maybe you should tell Trump to f%&k off.
No, I'm telling YOU to f%&k off. For you to question my sincerity regarding this issue is appalling. I hope for your sake that you never have to live through a time like that and see the lives taken and damaged by a deranged lunatic. For no apparent reason whatsoever.

Serious question, SD. Given your proximity to Newtown when those shootings happened, why did you start this thread? Does it really matter where the US ranks in comparison to those countries you had in the list?

I have read and re-read your original post in this thread, and if I didn’t know you were around Newtown when it happened, I would think you were trying to say that the coverage etc of the shootings here is overblown.

I really am curious as to what your original intent was with the initial post because I honestly don’t know.
More than a few times on here gun control advocates have said that the US had the highest deadly mass shooting occurrence in the world. They were using bad numbers. I was only trying to show that this is not the case. Is the US occurrence still too high? Sure it is. Being in the company of the countries listed is nothing to brag about.

The left always wants to make this about guns and the need for more gun control. I contend that these mass shootings are as much about mental illness as anything else. Mentally ill people should not have access to guns.

I never said that coverage of Newtown or any other mass shooting was overblown. I lived through the carnage and aftermath of the shooting at Sandy Hook. I wouldn't wish that on anybody. It's horrible and devastating on many levels.

More than a few times on here gun control advocates have said that the US had the highest deadly mass shooting occurrence in the world. They were using bad numbers. I was only trying to show that this is not the case. Is the US occurrence still too high? Sure it is. Being in the company of the countries listed is nothing to brag about.

The left always wants to make this about guns and the need for more gun control. I contend that these mass shootings are as much about mental illness as anything else. Mentally ill people should not have access to guns.

I never said that coverage of Newtown or any other mass shooting was overblown. I lived through the carnage and aftermath of the shooting at Sandy Hook. I wouldn't wish that on anybody. It's horrible and devastating on many levels.

Fair enough, and thanks for clarifying. You had also made a comment about 2nd amendment rights being taken away, which no one was saying they wanted, so I just wasn’t sure what your main point was.

And honestly, I think we are on the same page. When folks say gun control, they mean making it a)harder in general to get one, b) no way in hell for folks with mental issues and c) banning things like assault-style weapons and bump stocks. None of that takes away anyone’s 2nd amendment rights.

Fair enough, and thanks for clarifying. You had also made a comment about 2nd amendment rights being taken away, which no one was saying they wanted, so I just wasn’t sure what your main point was.

And honestly, I think we are on the same page. When folks say gun control, they mean making it a)harder in general to get one, b) no way in hell for folks with mental issues and c) banning things like assault-style weapons and bump stocks. None of that takes away anyone’s 2nd amendment rights.
It doesn't mean the same thing to everybody.

There are some on the left who favor forcefully taking guns away from law-abiding citizens, such as has been done in Australia. Banning bump stocks is one thing. Banning fully-automatic weapons is already basically illegal in many states unless you are a current or former LEO or current or former military. I don't agree with banning AR-15s and the like because they look like full-auto weapons, but typically aren't. I don't agree with banning semi-auto handguns, either. If states want to limit magazine size, fine.

It doesn't mean the same thing to everybody.

There are some on the left who favor forcefully taking guns away from law-abiding citizens, such as has been done in Australia. Banning bump stocks is one thing. Banning fully-automatic weapons is already basically illegal in many states unless you are a current or former LEO or current or former military. I don't agree with banning AR-15s and the like because they look like full-auto weapons, but typically aren't. I don't agree with banning semi-auto handguns, either. If states want to limit magazine size, fine.

On the flip side, I look at a country like Australia and how dramatically the number of shootings has decreased because of what they’ve done and I don’t think that’s a bad thing?

Maybe we can agree that whatever is being done here ( or really, not being done) isn’t working.

No, I'm telling YOU to f%&k off. For you to question my sincerity regarding this issue is appalling. I hope for your sake that you never have to live through a time like that and see the lives taken and damaged by a deranged lunatic. For no apparent reason whatsoever.

So you don't mind that Trump respects him? You won't seem to answer that.

You posted a thread talking about the overhyping of mass shootings in the US. 10 minutes later you're appalled by one of them. Can't have it both ways.

On the flip side, I look at a country like Australia and how dramatically the number of shootings has decreased because of what they’ve done and I don’t think that’s a bad thing?

Maybe we can agree that whatever is being done here ( or really, not being done) isn’t working.
Yes, and then you ignore the fact their violent crime rate has risen? Criminals still have guns and manage to have them....because they're criminals.

So you don't mind that Trump respects him? You won't seem to answer that.

You posted a thread talking about the overhyping of mass shootings in the US. 10 minutes later you're appalled by one of them. Can't have it both ways.
OK, if you say so:rolleyes:

It's NOT true. That's the point. And the standard being applied in this argument is just stupid. This statement:

Is asininely stupid, and implies a perfectly equal distribution of mass murders on the planet, meaning that every country everywhere should have the same. The person that posted it either doesn't understand statistics (which I don't think is the case) or he literally thinks the US is the same as Sudan and should be held at the same standard. No, those third world countries should have way, way more than a civilized society like the US, and the US shouldn't even be mentioned in the top 100 in any crime, let alone mass murders, given the resources, education, and everything else at our disposal relative to the other 349 or however many countries in the world. It's just plain stupid. And while you may be reticent to lump yourself in with various arguments, your continued defense of this one makes me think you're just being obtuse, because I don't believe, based on your history here, that you're this dense naturally.

When you find yourself rationalizing how bad the media is because they don't consider the US vs. Sudan in terms of violent crime, you've really got to take a step back and ask yourself why? My opinion? They assume that the average educated American would understand that the US should be far better than Sudan and would rather compare apples to apples (or Purdue to Michigan, not Prairie View). This thread is demonstrating that that assumption may be misplaced, which is wholly disappointing.
don't you understand. We should compare US, a developed nation with functioning government, to countries that are in what is pretty much smoldering civil wars. Brilliant. With SD, I'm starting to think he's just going senile.

don't you understand. We should compare US, a developed nation with functioning government, to countries that are in what is pretty much smoldering civil wars. Brilliant. With SD, I'm starting to think he's just going senile.
There is pretty obviously very little to no honest thought given to anything posted. It's just straight regurgitation of anything that supports a conservative talking point.

Reactions: BuilderBob6
You couldn't be more wrong about Adam Lanza, gr8. His mother and father did not get his mental illness properly treated and his mother bought the weapons and had him trained with the weapons that he eventually used to kill her and 26 other innocent kids, teachers, and administrators at Sandy Hook School. There is evidence that his form of autism and schizophrenia may be linked.

Is this just regurgitation of conservative "talking points"?

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/22/...roblems-completely-untreated-report-says.html

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...1212/was-adam-lanza-undiagnosed-schizophrenic

https://www.cnn.com/2014/11/21/justice/newtown-shooter-adam-lanza-report/index.html[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

ADVERTISEMENT