ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland will be tough....

Tommaker

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
....but they should also be RANKED. :)

Probably too early for the Spartans to have buyers remorse, but doesn't Turner have a 10 year contract?

Reactions: DAG10
I’ll be at this game so if my presence makes any difference, we’ll be ranked after next weekend. But in all seriousness, anyone else planning to be in the area next weekend? Lol

They have an accurate, mobile QB. They don’t have a single identity (pass or rush first) like many of the teams we’ve played so far. A lot of points will be scored, hopefully we have over half of them at the end of the afternoon.

I’ve never been a fan of long term contracts for players or coaches! MSU had a nice record last year, however several of their wins were rather flukes like the one against Nebraska. Didn’t they also beat Michigan on sort of a contested play that was proven to be an official error later?

Reactions: studed
They have an accurate, mobile QB. They don’t have a single identity (pass or rush first) like many of the teams we’ve played so far. A lot of points will be scored, hopefully we have over half of them at the end of the afternoon.
weak link, Lockesly is their coach

I’ll be at this game so if my presence makes any difference, we’ll be ranked after next weekend. But in all seriousness, anyone else planning to be in the area next weekend? Lol
I live in northern VA, and witnessed the absolute nadir of the Hazell era the last time Purdue visited College Park….

Hoping for a better showing this time, as compared to that embarrassing debacle.

Reactions: DAG10 and pboiler18

Probably too early for the Spartans to have buyers remorse, but doesn't Turner have a 10 year contract?

The woke college admins seem to lose all reason when they have a promising young coach who checks certain boxes....

Northwestern, Nebraska, Indinia... not counting chickens but they are 3 baaaad teams.
Three tiers of games:
Gonna have to bring it
At Maryland
At Wisconsin
Iowa

Don’t screw it up
At Illinois
Nebraska

should win-
Northwestern
At IU

5-2 or 6-1 is on the table, but the offense will need to come around. Purdue’s defense has played well (or relatively well) all year. We have to score more points. I’m hoping a WR breaks out soon.

Terps pose some problems and can make some plays - could go either way. That could be a recurring theme down the stretch and the rest of the way. Good to see better discipline from the Boilers today.
It felt good to come up with a w in a grind it out type game yesterday. We will need to score some points next week.

Three tiers of games:
Gonna have to bring it
At Maryland
At Wisconsin
Iowa

Don’t screw it up
At Illinois
Nebraska

should win-
Northwestern
At IU

5-2 or 6-1 is on the table, but the offense will need to come around. Purdue’s defense has played well (or relatively well) all year. We have to score more points. I’m hoping a WR breaks out soon.
Definitely need to move @Illinois to the "Gonna have to bring it" tier.

MSU following the ND/Charlie Weis plan in extending Tucker for 10 years...genius. That said, I do think he is a decent (if not better) coach and that he will do well...have not watched them even a minute this year to date, and, have not followed them either...thus, no thoughts at all as to what the issue(s) is/are.

Maryland is good...Purdue is going to have a tough time out there...they pose problems for Purdue defensively.

Illinois served notice yesterday as well. I actually feel better about Purdue and going to Madison after yesterday, but, won't hold my breath as I think the last time that they won there, I was actually there...and, that was like a lifetime ago. That said, Illinois is going to be a challenge.

Not sure about Iowa...feel good about the success that Purdue has had...they struggle to score...but, they are good defensively...won't be easy likely, but, I like Purdue's chances at least, especially at home.

No reason that Purdue should not win the Nebraska, Northwestern or Indinia games...although if anyone there worries me, it is NW in that they have had way more success against Purdue than they seemingly should have.

All of this of course assumes that O'Connell is healthy, and, that Purdue gets some other guys back and can stay healthy otherwise.

Terps pose some problems and can make some plays - could go either way. That could be a recurring theme down the stretch and the rest of the way. Good to see better discipline from the Boilers today.
Not only good/great to see it, but, it was meaningful as well...it made a difference (in a positive sense finally).

I live in northern VA, and witnessed the absolute nadir of the Hazell era the last time Purdue visited College Park….

Hoping for a better showing this time, as compared to that embarrassing debacle.
That was SO bad, that, no lie...I admittedly forgot about it...I wish I could forget that entire era actually.

I still remember meeting Hazell for the first time...I ended the brief conversation with, "Good Luck" and, he said, thank you, and I said, "No, I genuinely mean GOOD LUCK."

I still can't believe how bad he was.

Reactions: indyogb
Maryland fan here- next Saturday should be a close, exciting game!!!
Maryland has been really solid to date, and, has what appears to be a good team...good on both sides of the ball, with, some athletes and talent...and speed.

Three tiers of games:
Gonna have to bring it
At Maryland
At Wisconsin
Iowa

Don’t screw it up
At Illinois
Nebraska

should win-
Northwestern
At IU

Need to move Illinois to "Gonna have to bring it".

It is somewhat concerning that Purdue has not generated points this year as we have become accustome to...they seem to have some talent still on that side, but, WR position outside of Jones has been disappointing. The mere thought that Purdue is winning games with defense and running the football is pretty crazy, more so with a guy with the experience and talent of O'Connell.

Reactions: ehuffma1
Need to move Illinois to "Gonna have to bring it".

It is somewhat concerning that Purdue has not generated points this year as we have become accustome to...they seem to have some talent still on that side, but, WR position outside of Jones has been disappointing. The mere thought that Purdue is winning games with defense and running the football is pretty crazy, more so with a guy with the experience and talent of O'Connell.
There were times when Payton Manning had to take the check downs and give the ball to his RB to win the game. Let the defense make plays. I think that is a sign of maturity.

The WR position does need to step it up. No question. I think we’ve seen a few pretty good defenses in Minnesota and Penn St, and a decent one in Syracuse.

There were times when Payton Manning had to take the check downs and give the ball to his RB to win the game. Let the defense make plays. I think that is a sign of maturity.

The WR position does need to step it up. No question. I think we’ve seen a few pretty good defenses in Minnesota and Penn St, and a decent one in Syracuse.
If they have a quarter of a brain, any talented WR watching these games and seen what Rondell, Bell and now Jones are doing should finally, FINALLY be making a bee-line to west Lafayette in the portal season.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
If they have a quarter of a brain, any talented WR watching these games and seen what Rondell, Bell and now Jones are doing should finally, FINALLY be making a bee-line to west Lafayette in the portal season.
It definitely should be an appealing destination...that said, with questions at QB after this year, it may not be as easy a sell as we would like to believe, and...again...NIL will loom large with some, and, most of the best.

It definitely should be an appealing destination...that said, with questions at QB after this year, it may not be as easy a sell as we would like to believe, and...again...NIL will loom large with some, and, most of the best.
Isn’t Brady supposed to be a talented passer? Add in portal and another top QB should be wanting to play here.

MSU following the ND/Charlie Weis plan in extending Tucker for 10 years...genius. That said, I do think he is a decent (if not better) coach and that he will do well...have not watched them even a minute this year to date, and, have not followed them either...thus, no thoughts at all as to what the issue(s) is/are.

Maryland is good...Purdue is going to have a tough time out there...they pose problems for Purdue defensively.

Illinois served notice yesterday as well. I actually feel better about Purdue and going to Madison after yesterday, but, won't hold my breath as I think the last time that they won there, I was actually there...and, that was like a lifetime ago. That said, Illinois is going to be a challenge.

Not sure about Iowa...feel good about the success that Purdue has had...they struggle to score...but, they are good defensively...won't be easy likely, but, I like Purdue's chances at least, especially at home.

No reason that Purdue should not win the Nebraska, Northwestern or Indinia games...although if anyone there worries me, it is NW in that they have had way more success against Purdue than they seemingly should have.

All of this of course assumes that O'Connell is healthy, and, that Purdue gets some other guys back and can stay healthy otherwise.

Tucker is a dumpster fire

Isn’t Brady supposed to be a talented passer? Add in portal and another top QB should be wanting to play here.
Sure he is...and, hopefully he will be...but, a guy with zero experience...who knows what the OL looks like...who knows what WR/TE looks like...way more questions than answers.

To your point, Purdue should be appealing...to QBs or WRs, and, especially via the portal.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Sure he is...and, hopefully he will be...but, a guy with zero experience...who knows what the OL looks like...who knows what WR/TE looks like...way more questions than answers.

To your point, Purdue should be appealing...to QBs or WRs, and, especially via the portal.
The traditional recruiting trails will be used for developing players. Portal will be used to get ready made players from schools the likes of NEB, WI, where coaches are changing along with ALL other schools where depth charts are buried and little playing time has been had.
Wonder what the scholarship mix is now with high school & portal mix? Too early to tell from sample size, yet 70-30 would seem realistic year over year.
Can Purdue use their own advertising for athletes and are they doing it now? Some concept of come to where you too can become All Big Ten and All American? Did a quick search only and didn't find anything of note.

The traditional recruiting trails will be used for developing players. Portal will be used to get ready made players from schools the likes of NEB, WI, where coaches are changing along with ALL other schools where depth charts are buried and little playing time has been had.
Wonder what the scholarship mix is now with high school & portal mix? Too early to tell from sample size, yet 70-30 would seem realistic year over year.
Can Purdue use their own advertising for athletes and are they doing it now? Some concept of come to where you too can become All Big Ten and All American? Did a quick search only and didn't find anything of note.
The portal will be used to fix "misses" and lack of development...but, again, NIL will come into play with it also. That mix/split may vary dramatically by school.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

If Chryst got $16 million for this buyout...can you imagine what it would cost MSU to buy out Tucker!?!

Last edited:
Saw this just now in an article that I was reading about/around the almost absurd firing of Chryst...

"The “Horns with Heart” collective at the University of Texas has this wonderful little self-description on its website, saying it is “leveraging student-athlete Name Image and Likeness to make a difference for charities and organizations which help the world and people in it.”

I’ll say this: Horns for Heart is making a difference in the lives of Texas’ 16 offensive linemen on full scholarship, paying each one $50,000 a year. I bet some of those linemen do some really nice things. I bet the Texas coaching staff finds it easy to recruit offensive linemen, too. A quick check of the recruiting rankings at ESPN.com shows Texas has commitments from four of the top 43 offensive linemen in the Class of 2023.

Imagine that."

Reactions: boilerdug
ADVERTISEMENT