ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland attendance

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
I was surprised to see so many empty seats. Even more surprised to read on social media that Maryland fans were pleased with the turnout.

Paid attendance was about 36k, which is about 70% of capacity. And this was for a 4-1 team that was playing very well.

Aidan's post game comments made it sound like there were quite a few Purdue fans in attendance.

I didn't realize Maryland had such trouble filling their stadium. Very IU-like. Geez.

I was surprised to see so many empty seats. Even more surprised to read on social media that Maryland fans were pleased with the turnout.

Paid attendance was about 36k, which is about 70% of capacity. And this was for a 4-1 team that was playing very well.

Aidan's post game comments made it sound like there were quite a few Purdue fans in attendance.

I didn't realize Maryland had such trouble filling their stadium. Very IU-like. Geez.
My brother went to Maryland back in the early 90's. They're pretty similar to iu in their support of football and basketball. They'll go to the FB games if it's a nice day, team is OK, etc, etc, but it's not a football rabid fan base. They support hoops pretty strongly though.

I was at the game and it just felt very..... uninspired... is probably the best word to describe it? Everything from the band pre-game, to the announcer, to the student section was just meh. We were seated at about the 50, lower level on the Purdue side of the field, and you couldn't really even hear the band, and when they were playing PA music between plays is was quiet as well. A bunch of empty seats around us the entire time, and they started heading for the exits around the start of the 4th quarter with a tied game.

I only really remember a loud cheer during TD at the end of the first half. The final drive celebrations were muted since it started to empty out already. It was just a weird, non-B1G feeling game.

That being said, I grew up in the Baltimore area, and can totally understand the lack of enthusiasm around football. HS football isn't a major thing like most of B1G country. A lot of the varsity games are on Saturday afternoon, and you are more likely to get higher attendance at the the Lacrosse games in the spring.

Reactions: rapapathanasiou
Illinois had 44k in attendance Saturday night and their radio guys were continually bragging about it.
Illinois has sold out games in the past after fans have been shown consistency … so back in 2008, lol. We’ve been one of the worst programs in the nation for three decades, it’ll take time to win casual fans back over. Probably between 50-55k for Minnesota next weekend and growing from there … is what it is, bad programs get bad attendance, and it’s a slow process to change that!

Illinois has sold out games in the past after fans have been shown consistency … so back in 2008, lol. We’ve been one of the worst programs in the nation for three decades, it’ll take time to win casual fans back over. Probably between 50-55k for Minnesota next weekend and growing from there … is what it is, bad programs get bad attendance, and it’s a slow process to change that!
Your crowd looked pretty good on TV

I was at the game and it just felt very..... uninspired... is probably the best word to describe it? Everything from the band pre-game, to the announcer, to the student section was just meh. We were seated at about the 50, lower level on the Purdue side of the field, and you couldn't really even hear the band, and when they were playing PA music between plays is was quiet as well. A bunch of empty seats around us the entire time, and they started heading for the exits around the start of the 4th quarter with a tied game.

I only really remember a loud cheer during TD at the end of the first half. The final drive celebrations were muted since it started to empty out already. It was just a weird, non-B1G feeling game.

That being said, I grew up in the Baltimore area, and can totally understand the lack of enthusiasm around football. HS football isn't a major thing like most of B1G country. A lot of the varsity games are on Saturday afternoon, and you are more likely to get higher attendance at the the Lacrosse games in the spring.
My personal favorite was how they had Backstreet Boys cued up to play right at the final horn.

Nothing from the marching band
Not the fight song
Not the alma mater

A 20 year old boy band slow jam.

Does that even count as a college football game?

Purdue was right there coming out of the Hazell years, although Purdue fans were probably quicker to get back on the wagon in 2017. I've been in Memorial stadium when it had some decent (not great, but decent) atmosphere.

Purdue was right there coming out of the Hazell years, although Purdue fans were probably quicker to get back on the wagon in 2017. I've been in Memorial stadium when it had some decent (not great, but decent) atmosphere.
Agreed on their atmosphere, it can be pretty good. I actually got lucky enough to go to 2 B1G games in the same day back in 2000 I think. Purdue-Minnesota at Noon, then to Champaign for Michigan-Illinois. That was the Anthony Thomas fumble that wasn't and killed the Illini season.

Agreed on their atmosphere, it can be pretty good. I actually got lucky enough to go to 2 B1G games in the same day back in 2000 I think. Purdue-Minnesota at Noon, then to Champaign for Michigan-Illinois. That was the Anthony Thomas fumble that wasn't and killed the Illini season.
Illini fans were fine, the Terps seemed blah, lots of empty seats for a good team. Both teams have walking advertisements for a heart attack as their coaches. Hope Bret keeps wearing orange as we get closer to Halloween.

My brother went to Maryland back in the early 90's. They're pretty similar to iu in their support of football and basketball. They'll go to the FB games if it's a nice day, team is OK, etc, etc, but it's not a football rabid fan base. They support hoops pretty strongly though.
I thought crab cakes and football is what Maryland does? Lol
football crab GIF

Gross

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT